Mike Thomas tries to make his mark in Detroit

Thomas AP

Last year, when Lions receiver Nate Burleson literally broke a leg, the team hoped Mike Thomas figuratively would.

He didn’t.

Thomas, traded from Jacksonville to Detroit after Burleson went down for the season, had a measly five catches for 28 yards in nine games with the Lions last year.

Now with a chance to prepare for the season in lieu of becoming a new tire attached to a moving car, Thomas is confident that his performance will improve.

“I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with what’s going on,” Thomas said last week, via the team’s official website.  “Now it’s just about competing and getting the reps in and getting familiar with all the things we do as receivers.”

Competing is the key.  The Lions have 13 receivers on the roster.  Seven or eight of them will be cut.

“We have a lot of guys here and a lot of competition, which is always good,” Thomas said.  “Competition always brings out the best in you.  We embrace it and have fun with it and we’re just going to have to see how everything turns out.”

Before it can turn out with Thomas playing like he once did with the Jaguars, he’ll have to make the team.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Mike Thomas tries to make his mark in Detroit”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 9, 2013 1:23 PM

I’d be surprised if he even makes the team. His salary is way out of whack, and he did terrible in JAX and looked horrible last year for the Lions. And when we traded for him we didn’t have Burleson to take up a spot, and we didn’t have Corey Fuller whom we just drafted. Plus we have a load more of sleeper WRs AND veteran WRs competing for the bottom part of the roster this year than we did last year.

I was begging for so many strategic trades last year and when news broke that we were trading a piece of the future for a very overpriced and nondescript WR that can’t even help us I was really pissed off. But it’s like this with almost every trade or draft pick or FA acquisition. We don’t make the smart moves and we make all of the poor leverage moves that weaken us for the future and make it even harder to improve as a team overall. It’s so frustrating to see how this team goes about making decisions when it’s so obvious to me what the problems are and these guys can’t seem to figure anything out.

2. whooligun says: Jun 9, 2013 1:42 PM

Thomas will not be on the final roster. Bad trade by Mayhew, but you can’t win em’ all!

3. seenable says: Jun 9, 2013 1:53 PM

The Lions WR group: Calvin, Broyles, and Burleson are locks. 2013 6th round pick Corey Fuller (VT) and 2012 UDFA Patrick Edwards (University of Houston) should also be ahead of Mike Thomas on the depth chart right now. Then you have special teams guys in Michael Spurlock (odds-on favorite to be Lions punt/kick returner right now) and Devin Thomas, as well.

Mike Thomas is facing an uphill battle for a roster spot this year. In his favor, however, is the fact that $1m of his $1.4m 2013 salary was guaranteed about six weeks ago when he was still on the Lions roster.

4. lionsdraftguy says: Jun 9, 2013 4:34 PM

seenable got that from some article to make him sound like hes an insider.

5. nightofthehipple says: Jun 9, 2013 4:43 PM

Undersized underperformer. No chance he makes the team. Mayhew has already wasted as many draft picks on wideouts as Millen.

6. sosuhme says: Jun 9, 2013 5:48 PM

And I am sure all those “strategic trades” that strategy expert would have made if he were running the Lions all assumed a team on the other end willing to make that trade.

7. jimmylions says: Jun 9, 2013 7:03 PM

Megatron, Burleson and Broyles are locks. The rest is anyone’s guess, but this year’s draft picks have a little bit of and edge.

I guess it’s fun to guess who will make it and who won’t, but nobody knows. Not the players and not the coaches. And no one will really know until August, or maybe even October!

Hopefully we get a great punt returner and kickoff returner out of all the moves we’ve made.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 9, 2013 7:40 PM

sosuhme:

Of course the trades I would have hoped for would have worked out, with some that surely would work out better than I initially conceived and vice versa. It would be impossible to predict so many transactions with 100% precision as to what would have happened in any “what-if” scenario. And some of them could be proven by watching what happened in the future from those junctures.

If I think we have a player on the team that is a negative value and I believe that another team will give up a 4th rounder for them, well i don’t have to be correct on the exact value, all of my proposed trades are conditional upon getting what I want, and if I can’t trade Player A then I trade Player B in lieu of A if I only am looking to trade one. And if the price is only a 7th instead of a 4th but I have to clear that future salary liability then that’s fine if that’s still a better alternative than keeping the player that I don’t want. So over the last 10 years we will never know which players I would have actually traded and for exactly what in return.

But if there was a possible way to go back in time and hypothetically generate that list without bias of future information, then I can give you a 100% iron clad guarantee that the list would have been VERY lengthy. And it’s simply my personal opinion that the vast majority of those hypothetical trades would have been a major added value to this franchise.

If this is fascinating to you and you want to spend hours with me to dissect the issue more and see what I’m seeing or what I would have done, then email me with a proposal of how to further this discussion in a suitable format. I have unlimited time for anybody that seriously wants to have a football strategy discussion or wants me to back up any of my stated opinions to any level of detail that they deem satisfactory. I am an extremely passionate person on the subject of football strategy and I take this stuff VERY seriously.

9. kahnsbushymustache says: Jun 10, 2013 6:28 AM

The Lions should hope they get the pre-second contract Mike Thomas -that dude was good. This guy that suited up after getting paid blows…

10. broccolilava says: Jun 10, 2013 11:19 AM

Hard to see where he fits this year, but he definitely came into a bad situation last year. He got overpaid because the Lions were in such a bad spot.

No doubt he will compete better this year, but I am rooting for Broyles, Burleson, Edwards and Fuller.