Gregg Williams grateful for another chance to coach

Gregg Williams AP

Gregg Williams remains confident.

While many thought he’d be radioactive after taking the fall in the NFL’s investigation of the Saints’ alleged bounty program, the Titans defensive assistant said Monday he never doubted he’d get another job in the league.

Williams talked to reporters prior to an OTA practice, and said: “Never once had I even thought that. Never once.”

“I never have been worried about that in all honesty,” he replied when asked if he thought all eyes were on him, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean. “I have never been worried about that. I am just happy to have a chance to continue to do it one more time. One more time, each year, . . .

“In the National Football League it is a production business and we are all on one-year contracts. I am very, very happy I get a chance to do it with familiar people.”

Williams found a familiar face this offseason who was nearly as desperate for help as he was for a job. Under-the-microscope Titans head coach Mike Munchak and defensive coordinator Jerry Gray were still playing when Williams was an assistant with the Oilers, so there’s a familiarity there as well.

“I feel like I am home,” Williams said. “I guess I was pretty young when I was coaching those guys, . . . So that is fun. It has been great for me to see just how good a head coach Mike Munchak is, . . . And the fact I get to work with Jerry again, we are so much on the same page.

“One of the things we’ve done for all these years, the years we’ve been apart, we traded so much information back and forth, . . . It has just been a real good match and a real comfortable match for everybody.”

Of course, Williams is being brought in to restore some life to a bad defense. The early returns have been good, but because of his history, people are always going to be watching Williams, whether he expects it or not.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Gregg Williams grateful for another chance to coach”
  1. grpatriot says: Jun 10, 2013 1:33 PM

Kill the head and the body must die!

2. elwayfanj says: Jun 10, 2013 1:35 PM

This dirtbag shouldn’t be allowed near football players.

3. usmutts says: Jun 10, 2013 1:38 PM

He never doubted he would be back coaching in the NFL because his method of motivation has been successful with practically all the teams in the NFL for many decades.

4. goodellgotohell says: Jun 10, 2013 1:40 PM

Just don’t see how any player could trust this guy. He sold his (former) players out to the dictator for the chance to coach again. Also have to point out that he did not “take the fall” for the alleged bounty program any more than Sean Payton, Joe Vitt, Mickey Loomis, etc.

5. sb44champs says: Jun 10, 2013 1:40 PM

Watch out Munchak, Gregg Williams could very well throw you under the bus if he deems necessary…

6. ireadpftforthecomments says: Jun 10, 2013 1:41 PM

I still can’t stand this guy.

Just saying.

7. lightcleric says: Jun 10, 2013 1:46 PM

What I don’t get it is if Bountygate was as bad as Goodell tells us it was, why did he let the mastermind back into the league after 1 year and why was a team so willing to hire him?

8. rcbn says: Jun 10, 2013 1:47 PM

“Ye without sin cast the first Football” and May his resumed Football career be Bountiful….

9. maximusprime107 says: Jun 10, 2013 2:00 PM

Tony Stark?

10. packerbackernj says: Jun 10, 2013 2:02 PM

lightcleric says:
    Jun 10, 2013 1:46 PM
    ———————-

A lot of politics in football between owners, GMs, and HC. Once you’re in a club, you’ll always find a job.

11. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 10, 2013 2:04 PM

HE took the fall?? Ask Sean Payton how he feels about that.

12. aintasinner says: Jun 10, 2013 2:11 PM

He never doubted he’d be back because he worked out a deal with Roger beforehand to sellout the Saints on the condition that he would be allowed back into coaching. As someone mentioned above, if the alleged Bounty program was as horrendous as Goodell made it out to be, why is Williams even near the NFL? He was the accused mastermind

13. booker1974 says: Jun 10, 2013 2:12 PM

I think it just goes to show that league insiders all know that “bountygate” was a farce and that there was nothing going on behind doors with the Saints’ big play pool that wasn’t going on in locker and meeting rooms across the league.

14. jack3dsd says: Jun 10, 2013 2:14 PM

if you have an ounce of testosterone in your body Williams can motivate you to play your hardest

15. NOLA in Focus says: Jun 10, 2013 2:16 PM

His one year ban from football was long enough. The guy only had a bounty system for the three years he was with the Saints. You guys act like he had a bounty system at his other 5 NFL stops over the past 20 years. He all know Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, and Joe Vitt created the concept of a bounty system.

16. packattack1967 says: Jun 10, 2013 2:17 PM

This is appalling. The Titans franchise in the abyss.

17. reporterofthetruth says: Jun 10, 2013 2:23 PM

Seems 97% of the NFL thought of Bountygate as a non-story, while 97% of the fans thought it was a story. I guess it really was about the league preparing to defend itself against the 3,000 ex player lawsuit.

18. mlenenski says: Jun 10, 2013 2:25 PM

New Orleans took the fall for the entire league relating to extra rewards for bad behavior. But they never took away the trophy. And they all got to go back to work.

PED’s, DUI’s, and general bad behavior are much harder to discourage or prevent.

19. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 10, 2013 2:25 PM

Goodell: OH MY GOD this bounty stuff is so bad I shall not stand for this I swear on my grave I will punish all who are responsible!!!

Payton! You’re out for a year or more if you don’t keep your mouth shut!

Vitt! 6 games for you!

Saints, your season is done!

Oh uh hey Gregg, why don’t you help yourself to some of those donuts in the corner. So tell me more about your lakehouse. When is a good time to visit?

20. sb44champs says: Jun 10, 2013 2:41 PM

NOLA in Focus says:
    Jun 10, 2013 2:16 PM
    =========================
    Obviously you need to speak for yourself, Oh jealous one…lol

21. dexterismyhero says: Jun 10, 2013 2:57 PM

@*sb44champs says:Jun 10, 2013 2:41 PM
    ==================================
    They wer told to stop. Other teams did. Your team didn’t. Case closed.

22. nolagirl says: Jun 10, 2013 3:02 PM

“after taking the fall…”? That sounds so noble, when in reality he more accurately dragged the Saints organization down with him, as he threw colleagues and players alike under the bus in order to save his own backside.

23. nard100 says: Jun 10, 2013 3:13 PM

First off he did not “sellout” the Saints. He simply told some inconvenient truths about what he and they were doing. He ‘fessed” up and the league which Goodell represents, gave the go-ahead for him to be restored. As long as he doesn’t do it again, it’s cool. Same with Payton who admits he let it happen on his watch.

24. moeman79 says: Jun 10, 2013 3:28 PM

This whole bounty program BS really gets to me. I am nowhere near a Saints fan, but the entire situation was garbage just like Bellichec recording signals. EVERY defensive player wants to take down the QB, they want to be the one who puts him out for a week or a season, it is what they do. If this was not the case why is there a O-line? maybe be we can go to a 5 Mississippi system.

25. annapterp says: Jun 10, 2013 3:35 PM

There was no “Bounty System”. There was however a pay for performance system that EVERY team in the NFL has in one form or another. As usual, Goodell was grandstanding.

26. sb44champs says: Jun 10, 2013 3:46 PM

dexterismyhero says:
    Jun 10, 2013 2:57 PM
    @*sb44champs says:Jun 10, 2013 2:41 PM
    ==================================
    They wer told to stop. Other teams did. Your team didn’t. Case closed.
    =======================
    Man, the haters (jealous fans) are out in full swing

27. finsguy says: Jun 10, 2013 3:51 PM

Good for him. That bountygate think was ridiculous anyway. Unless he was encouraging his team to play dirty I don’t see the issue with encouraging and paying his team to try to hit hard enough (as long as hits are legal) to knock other players out of the game.

Used to be that was expected, without the offer of a bounty.

28. keylimelight says: Jun 10, 2013 3:53 PM

“…he’d be radioactive after taking the fall in the NFL’s investigation of the Saints’ alleged bounty program…”

Correction:

…he’d be radioactive after SINGING LIKE A CANARY TO SAVE HIS OWN @$$ in the NFL’s [trumped up] investigation of the Saints’ alleged bounty program…”

And, “I never have been worried about that in all honesty…”

Translation:

“The NFL made it clear to me that if I wanted to work in the league, ever again, that I should cooperate fully with them to attain the expected outcome of this action. I did everything they asked me to do as part of a deal so, no, I have never been worried about not being reinstated as a coach.”

29. rg3sus says: Jun 10, 2013 3:55 PM

I wonder to this day what Danny boy Snyder knew about him. It was thought by many that he would replace Gibbs when he left the skins. Something changed very fast there and the “dark years” began(Zorn). Williams is a good coach. He just was stupid and got caught saying what many coaches believe/quietly did. This would make a great 30 for 30 episode in about 20 years

30. tvjules says: Jun 10, 2013 4:01 PM

If Roger Goodell was serious about protecting the safety of players, he never would have re-instated Williams after only one year. This is appalling.

31. iceburgskin202 says: Jun 10, 2013 4:36 PM

This is a non-issue the league drummed up to say ” look we care about players safety” the saints and their coaches did what every team has and still does. The fact that amidst all the suspensions and player safety banter they then push for more games makes them look like hypocrites! Stay classy NFL front office. I’m pissed that a team had to suffer but someone had to be the scapegoat!!!

32. farmmbig says: Jun 10, 2013 5:11 PM

I know it’s two different sports– But I find it comedic how a guy like Williams can be welcomed back into the NFL…

All-the-while.. Pete Rose continues to be denied in MLB.

It’s a fricken warped society!

33. billsin2011 says: Jun 10, 2013 5:27 PM

Bountygate was an overblown media hyped non event.

34. prmpft says: Jun 10, 2013 5:29 PM

a guy like Williams can be welcomed back because he did NOTHING everybody else isn’t doing (yes, I do know) – the SAINTS were flavor of the day when goddell decided to pick a poster child and it simply ended up being their burden to bear – anyone who says their team did not have like programs is either misinformed, idealistic, or a LIAR…it is not warped – it is FOOTBALL!

35. billsin2011 says: Jun 10, 2013 5:34 PM

I forgot to add, watch the game vs the 49’ers that day and find one play where it looks like the Saints were taking a cheap shot at any 49’er player, in general or specific to the taped pre-game meeting. I watched it months ago and Donte Whitner’s helmet to helmet hit was the worst paly of the game.

36. orivar says: Jun 10, 2013 5:56 PM

I keep forgetting who Gregg Williams is, then they remind me with the bounty scandal, and then I realize I could care even less about that. Over and done with, move on.

Now the Patriots cheating is a different story. That actually brought results.

37. bvolke says: Jun 10, 2013 9:39 PM

Williams looks like he’s wearing a disguise, lol.

38. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 10, 2013 10:49 PM

What does it matter. Drew Brees will never win another Superbowl. Average QB. Just leveling the playing field. Defenses are going to ruin his day. All those weapons. And players won’t need paid to bust him up. He won’t be able to keep up with Matt Ryan. Or Cam Newton.

39. tincansailor981 says: Jun 10, 2013 11:11 PM

Reinstatement – reward for being Goody’s yes man who would say or do anything to get his suspension lifted, to include stretching the truth and downright lying through his teeth

40. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 10, 2013 11:27 PM

Titans are going to get down and dirty in the AFC South. Full tilt.