Leslie Frazier expecting big things from Kyle Rudolph

2013 Pro Bowl Getty Images

Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph made some serious strides during his second NFL season.

Rudolph caught 53 passes and scored nine touchdowns during the regular season and then was named MVP of the Pro Bowl after catching five passes for 122 yards and a touchdown in Hawaii. Coach Leslie Frazier believes that Rudolph is just starting to scratch the surface of his abilities.

“I try not to get too far ahead of myself, but the Kyle Rudolph that I see now is so much more confident and surer of himself than the Kyle I saw a year ago at this time,” Frazier said, via the team’s website. “It’s like night and day to me, personally. I’m anxious to see how he does when we get to training camp from a blocking standpoint, but that Pro Bowl, it’s flipped the switch. He knows he has a chance to be a premier tight end in this league after what he did over there being MVP and it’s evident by the way he’s practicing, the way he runs his routes, the control he has in the meetings.”

The Vikings took steps to bolster their receiving corps by signing Greg Jennings and drafting Cordarrelle Patterson in the first round, but the uneven record of rookie receivers makes it necessary to not put all of their eggs in that basket. Continued growth for Rudolph would allow Patterson to settle into the NFL without the offense being overly reliant on his quick development.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Leslie Frazier expecting big things from Kyle Rudolph”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 10, 2013 4:28 PM

They expected big things from ponder, too.

2. unbiasfan says: Jun 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Kyle Rudolph has the talent to be the best Tight End in the NFL , he had a productive season with over 10 TD’s last season & was pro-bowl MVP, expect him to be Ponder’s go-to Red Zone target next season and another trip to the Pro Bowl #Skol

3. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Rudolph is just one of the bright young stars on the Vikings roster, and they’re all improving.

4. reesesteel23 says: Jun 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Beast

5. tjacks7 says: Jun 10, 2013 4:36 PM

it’s all on you now, Christian.

all of the other pieces are coming together.

6. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 10, 2013 4:37 PM

tokyosandblaster says:Jun 10, 2013 4:28 PM

They expected big things from ponder, too.
    ____

Try replacing Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashadu with Greg Jennings and Cordarrelle Patterson and see what happens.

7. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 10, 2013 4:39 PM

I watched Rudolph dominate the Pro Bowl last year along with the many other Vikings who were there, and I remember thinking to myself…where are all the Packers?

8. dtrb10 says: Jun 10, 2013 4:41 PM

The pieces are in place

9. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 10, 2013 4:41 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Jun 10, 2013 4:37 PM
    tokyosandblaster says:Jun 10, 2013 4:28 PM

They expected big things from ponder, too.
    ____

—-

He under throws Greg Jennings and Cordarelle Patterson?

10. jonnyfootball82 says: Jun 10, 2013 4:49 PM

He’s going to have a big year. I’m predicting 1500 yards and 28 TDs

11. sikoix says: Jun 10, 2013 5:00 PM

There were times last season I thought Rudolph deserved to be targeted way more often — he probably has the best hands on the team (at least last years). Unrelated, but these Packer trolls are getting pretty painful to read through when perusing comments. No one seems to be trolling Packer threads (Mt Rushmore thread was most recent I saw) — I don’t mind trolling if it’s amusing on *some* level, but these trolls in particular sound like disgruntled 12 year olds. Listing your four choices for Vikings Mt Rushmore as Favre, Jennings, Longwell, etc — that’s actually an amusing troll. Most of the other trolling just makes actual Packer fans look bad, unfortunately.

12. thesteelers says: Jun 10, 2013 5:20 PM

I’m not.

13. obsessedvikingfan says: Jun 10, 2013 5:29 PM

Best Tight end in football.

14. tokyosanbblaster says: Jun 10, 2013 6:03 PM

Just because I usually am the first one to post on a Vikings story doesn’t make me a troll. However, living under a bridge and terrorizing billy goats – that is what makes me a troll.

15. obsessedvikingfan says: Jun 10, 2013 6:44 PM

Tokyo, you are the biggest Viking hater/troll on here and other places. If you honestly don’t beleive that, you are not right in the head and have cheese in your eyes.

16. whatjusthapped says: Jun 10, 2013 9:46 PM

I feel disappointed that Tokyo is being nominated the biggest troll, what am I am, Swiss cheese?

But the point of this post is that if Rudolph is a good player, think about how much better he would be if he had a real NFL QB?

The Vikings are wasting AD’s career, at least Rudolph should last to see the day the Vikings get a QB, I think?

17. yonnyyonson says: Jun 10, 2013 9:46 PM

The Viking fans have been expecting BIG things for a long, long time. All they’ve gotten is repeated failure. OFER status. 0-4 in Super Bowls. Some of the greatest players to play the game on their team with ZERO to show for it. Must be miserable being a Viking fan.

18. GenXJay says: Jun 10, 2013 9:53 PM

The article pic of him hoisting up that trophy is a premonition of what’s to come next year after the he scores the game winning SuperBowl Td.
    So lovely.

19. blahman64 says: Jun 11, 2013 12:32 AM

Tokyo is a fool, don’t pay any sort of attention to it. If no one talks to it, it will eventually die off.

Anyways, back to the actual post, Kyle is a beast and should shine this coming season.

20. Frazier28/7 says: Jun 11, 2013 5:05 PM

So are most keeper leagues.