On Sunday night, former Chargers and Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman was rushed to the hospital with what authorities described as a “medical emergency.” The Los Angeles Times was the first of multiple news outlets to report that Merriman was treated for an overdose after ingesting a combination of alcohol and an unspecified other drug.
But Merriman says that’s not true at all.
According to Merriman, who was feeling well enough to be on Twitter within hours of the incident, he was just dehydrated. Merriman says that after getting some fluids, he was fine.
The 29-year-old Merriman announced his retirement this offseason after his once-promising NFL career was repeatedly hampered by injuries.