Wherever he lines up, Mario Williams is more comfortable this year

Mario Williams AP

Mario Williams is a man without a position.

That doesn’t mean he’s lacking a role, however. Williams’ job in Buffalo this season is going to be to get after the quarterback, but new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine says that the goal is to stop offenses from coming up with ways to stop Williams by lining him up over tackles, with his hand on the ground and even over the center on some passing downs. Williams said he’d label himself as a defensive end, but that it is an inexact label and that he’s more concerned with having a smoother second season in Buffalo than with what position he’s listed as playing.

“There were a lot of things going on last year, but it makes you tougher,” said Williams, via the Bills website. “The more adversity you go through the more I feel I can handle it. Last year it was almost like my rookie year all over again in the sense of a new place, big deal and everything that went into coming to Buffalo. It’s like I’m back now and here’s my second year and I’m really excited about going after it and with the group of guys that are leading us I have a lot of faith and a lot of dedication to going out and performing for them.”

Williams still had 10.5 sacks last season, so he was able to find a way to have some success while dealing with a wrist injury in addition to the other issues mentioned above. Being settled and healthy should put him on a path to more success this time around, especially if Pettine’s plan to scheme Williams into different spots leads to the kind of desirable matchups they’re envisioning up in Buffalo.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Wherever he lines up, Mario Williams is more comfortable this year”
  1. mrbigass says: Jun 10, 2013 9:12 AM

I wonder what he’s made per sack over his career to date……..

2. corkspop says: Jun 10, 2013 9:33 AM

Just go crush some QB’s and running backs, Mario!!!

3. mdp44 says: Jun 10, 2013 9:44 AM

10.5 sacks for 100 million, that sounds like a great deal.

4. ihatethejets23 says: Jun 10, 2013 10:03 AM

I think Mario will have a monster season but the rest of the defense will have to step up especially the linebackers.

5. hehateme2 says: Jun 10, 2013 10:07 AM

Will the Bills overtake the jets for 3rd place?

6. EJ says: Jun 10, 2013 10:09 AM

Wherever Mario Williams lines up this season, whether Its Linebacker, rushing off of the edge or over center, he will completely dominate. With Pettine’s complicated playbook, the help of Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus or just his strong desire, QB’s will be on the run at all times. Especially Brady, Tannehill and which ever QB they decide to go with in New York, whether It be Sanchez or Smith. Expect the winds of change in the AFC East, the way it was in the early 90’s when Buffalo dominated with a stout Defense and a super high-powered Offense. Every day since the Draft has been more and more positive looking. I can’t wait until the season starts!
    #GoBills #BillsMafia #NobodyCirclesTheWagonsLikeTheBuffaloBills

7. majbobby says: Jun 10, 2013 10:16 AM

mdp44 10.5 sacks for 100 Million would be right if his contract is dont with, however it is not.

The reality is he had 10.5 sacks and 2 FF on 24.9M once you add the signing bonus to base number for 2012.

Sounds a little different there doesnt it.

8. majbobby says: Jun 10, 2013 10:19 AM

Lets looks at it this way also… And I bet alot of you would love to have this production on your team.

lets say he only gets his 2012 stats every year.

63 sacks and 12 FF over 6 years and you would be pretty happy.

9. mpcny says: Jun 10, 2013 10:34 AM

Just once I want to hear this. I hate the new system, I do not think I fit well, why did we ever get rid of the old system…

I think I recall him coming to Buffalo because he loved the system and how well it fit it him.

Really what he is saying I am paid a lot of money so I tow the party line.

10. majbobby says: Jun 10, 2013 10:47 AM

mrbigass.

After drafted he signed a 54M dollar contract.

first year with Bills (if you take away the signing bonus and count as a per year hit. Made 9.8).

So his contract money to date (minus Bills Signing Bonus is 63.8).

To date he has 63.5 sacks. So AVG close to 1M per sack to date.

But cant forget impact plays and FF count into that he has 13 of those to date as well.

11. kgun80 says: Jun 10, 2013 11:06 AM

The defense will be very different this year. The new system is a total shift from what the team did last year. Last season they just played vanilla D and rarely sent more than 5 guys. They never really sent DBs or rotated players to manipulate matchups they basically lined up in a basic 4-3 or nickel D and and we’re extremely predictable. Now they are moving players around using multiple formations

12. slick50ks says: Jun 10, 2013 11:18 AM

kgun80 says:
    Jun 10, 2013 11:06 AM

——————————

You not only hired a college head coach, but not a very good one at that.

Calm yourself. Last place is waiting for you guys.

13. htowntexan says: Jun 10, 2013 11:27 AM

I’m curious — did his sacks come at critical moments of the game/season or in trash time? In Houston, most of his sacks were meaningless (e.g., a QB falling down at the end of the game instead of risking interception when up by 20).

I hope he has a great year for your guys.

14. txtuff says: Jun 10, 2013 12:02 PM

Mario always plays hurt, will give him props for playing hurt, but he is always hurt. That and the fact that the Texans tried to do the same thing with him (Playing him all over the D Line) and it didn’t work for Mario, they had to end up leaving him at DE.

A new D that is more complicated then last years I 2013 not being as good as 2012 for Mario, and with his contract that is not a good thing.

15. foranyoneover30 says: Jun 10, 2013 12:32 PM

Just turn any QB you’re facing into a life-size image of the engagement ring, Mario, Now…GO GET IT !!!!! Good…..good….