Donte Stallworth: “Literally, my butt caught on fire”

Donte Stallworth AP

The fact that he lived through it makes it easier to laugh now.

But Donte Stallworth had to admit, he wasn’t sure he was going to be able to.

The veteran wide receiver took part in Redskins minicamp on a tryout basis Tuesday, a minor miracle after he and his girlfriend were badly burned in a hot air balloon accident three months ago.

Literally, my butt caught on fire,” Stallworth said, via the Associated Press. “And she was on fire as well.”

Stallworth says they’re both fine now (see the update below for more), and as frightening as it was, there’s a certain ridiculous quality to the incident.

“It felt exactly like the cartoons,” he said. “When you see people getting electrocuted on cartoons, that’s exactly what it felt like.”

While it left serious scars on both his arms, he recovered enough in a few weeks to resume football training.

But he admitted he began laughing in the ambulance at the turn of fortune.

“Ten years of playing professional football and I never been carted off the field,” Stallworth said. “And I’ve never even been helped off the field. If I had a knee injury, I was able to get up and walk away on my own. And I go on a hot air balloon, something that seems very peaceful for two hours, and I’m getting airlifted to a hospital, life on the line.”

That he’s recovered enough to continue to play is amazing, but the best part is that he may have a job again soon. Redskins coach Mike Shanahan indicated that he intends to sign Stallworth.

UPDATE 9:12 p.m. ET 6/12/13:  The attorney for Soleil Guerrero has contacted PFT to explain that, contrary to Stallworth’s assertion, she isn’t fine.  We wish her the best as she continues her recovery.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
56 Responses to “Donte Stallworth: “Literally, my butt caught on fire””
  1. prmpft says: Jun 11, 2013 6:08 PM

I saw a kid do that on youtube once…

2. skoobyfl says: Jun 11, 2013 6:08 PM

I bet he dumped her because she wasn’t pretty enough anymore, he’s that kind of guy.

3. Patskrieg dot com says: Jun 11, 2013 6:12 PM

“Cartoon Butt Fire” – The Life & Times of Donte Stallworth.

Available for pre-order on Amazon

4. pmx8411 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:13 PM

Donte has had this bad luck riding him for a decade now rofl

5. chickenneck says: Jun 11, 2013 6:14 PM

““Ten years of playing professional football and I never been carted off the field,” Stallworth said. “And I’ve never even been helped off the field.”

He’s never been helped off the field during a game because he always found a way to injure himself in practice. He used to have blazing speed but pulled his hamstrings constantly when he was in NOLA

6. cajunaise says: Jun 11, 2013 6:15 PM

It’s hard to laugh. For obvious reasons.

7. Waffle 2.0 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:15 PM

This murderer is treated better than Cutler

8. raiders85 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:16 PM

Good thing he wasn’t drunk …………

9. commonsensedude says: Jun 11, 2013 6:19 PM

Since Stallworth survived this bizarre hot air accident during his vacation, I think he is now mentally prepared to take a Carnival cruise.

10. wgray981 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:21 PM

Wish he would have suffered serious injuries.
    He deserves it for KILLING SOMEBODY while DUI

11. sweetnlow44 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:21 PM

literally, you killed someone.

12. stoolerz says: Jun 11, 2013 6:24 PM

It’s called Mexican Karma

13. anthonygiants says: Jun 11, 2013 6:25 PM

Karma?

14. hrmlss says: Jun 11, 2013 6:25 PM

That’s one hot ass…..

15. demjoneses says: Jun 11, 2013 6:26 PM

@ Waffle 2.0

You’re brave to speak the “C” word.

16. theclaim says: Jun 11, 2013 6:27 PM

Welcome again and Hail Donte. The REASON this guy continues to draw interest is he has been productive ON THE FIELD at nearly every stop of his career. This year won’t be ANY different
    HTTR!

17. brettfavresmidget says: Jun 11, 2013 6:27 PM

BUI (Ballooning Under the Influence)?

18. justintuckrule says: Jun 11, 2013 6:29 PM

Him and the Skins will now have something in common. Stallworth’s hot air balloon crashed and burned….just like the Skins’ upcoming season.

19. thesteelers says: Jun 11, 2013 6:35 PM

He shouldn’t do that.

20. coltzfan166 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:36 PM

@ wgray981

OK, let’s talk. What do you want Stallworth to do, kill himself? Like that’s going to make anything better. There’s nothing he can do to change his past and he’s already said he has to live with the guilt. Someday you will know someone that kills another person by drunk driving or texting and driving or something, if you don’t already. I know someone that does and I promise you it’s not something you want to live with. Lets move on.

21. navyeoddavee9 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:39 PM

pmx8411: I wouldn’t call stallworth, 10 years of bad luck, killing a guy while drunk is not bad luck, it’s murder. The bad luck is the guy he ran over.

22. theclaim says: Jun 11, 2013 6:39 PM

Should be a BREAKOUT season. He didn’t metaphorically, but rather LITERALLY had a fire lit under his butt!

23. hpeters77 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:40 PM

Commonsensedude. That was funny, he’s truly a hot boy/bunz now

24. borisbulldog says: Jun 11, 2013 6:43 PM

Amazing his oh so fashionable dreads didn’t catch fire.

25. overweightman says: Jun 11, 2013 6:44 PM

Washington Redtail

26. slayisland says: Jun 11, 2013 6:46 PM

Ha its funny because he deserved it

27. Waffle 2.0 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:47 PM

demjoneses says:Jun 11, 2013 6:26 PM

@ Waffle 2.0

You’re brave to speak the “C” word.
    ————————————————-
    I personally can’t believe he’s still in the league. I mean for god’s sake, he goes 4-12 every year, he’s done nothing but has been surrounded by skill at every position, especially O line. I think he raped a puppy and a sophmore at Miami Ohio after they lost him a grand in a tag team wet t shirt / dog fight. He hates children, kills fathers of 4 that are heading to 3rd shift jobs at a factory, carries 4 felonies worth of lean in his car, beats his wives, punches cops, strippers, hookers, fans, kittens.

Sooner or later we are going to have to get this scourge of society out of the league so we can improve it’s image throughout the world. I heard he even wants his teammates to be accountable and not smoke weed all dayand be the worst tackle in the league . Ludicrous. What a jerk.

28. jnichls says: Jun 11, 2013 7:06 PM

What does this have to do with the Tebow signing, huh?

29. Waffle 2.0 says: Jun 11, 2013 7:10 PM

Read the comments and find out for yourself pal.

30. aldavis4president says: Jun 11, 2013 7:16 PM

Some of you guys are real Dbags. Murder is when you intentionally kill someone. Yeah he was drunk, but what he did was an accident. Not excusing what he did. But he didn’t murder anybody. It was an accident

31. pacificamjr says: Jun 11, 2013 7:16 PM

he’s alot luckier than the man he ran over and killed while he was drunk…

32. searchthedeep says: Jun 11, 2013 7:17 PM

Jnichls, that was great!!!

33. jnichls says: Jun 11, 2013 7:18 PM

Was meant as a rip on the wall-to-wall Tebow coverage. …

34. chucknorrissinspiration says: Jun 11, 2013 7:25 PM

Kids, don’t drink and hot air balloon.

35. TheWizard says: Jun 11, 2013 7:30 PM

The dude committed suicide trying to waltz across a busy freeway.

You guys busting on Donte apparently haven’t educated yourselves on the details of the incident.

Or, you’re just plain stupid.

I’ve heard it can’t be fixed.

36. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 11, 2013 7:32 PM

Coaches have been trying to light his ass on fire for most of the past decade. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

37. steelgaze says: Jun 11, 2013 7:34 PM

J-walking across an interstate when the sun isn’t fully up is very smart.

38. gnarlswoodson says: Jun 11, 2013 7:36 PM

coltzfan166 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:36 PM

@ wgray981

———————————————————-

Did anyone say he should kill himself? Why even attempt to defend a guy who was all hopped up in his Bentley and killed someone’s father. I think what people are getting at is that this guy hasn’t been good in how long and SOMEHOW has a new team every year, and he’s not even close to young either! Nobody is saying he should kill himself, at least not that I saw, but he doesn’t deserve the luck he’s had in life since. And just an FYI, nobody outside of immediate family and close friends care how bad the drunk driver feels about killing someone, nobody.

39. seahawkshurtpeople says: Jun 11, 2013 7:46 PM

overweightman says: Jun 11, 2013 6:44 PM

Washington Redtail

That is a brilliant comment!

40. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 11, 2013 8:17 PM

“Waffle 2.0 says:

This murderer is treated better than Cutler

____________________________

You’re quite clueless. He murdered no one.

He did have someone try and cross a busy highway where there was no intersection, no light, no crosswalk. Under Florida law the pedestrian was likely responsible for the accident. Under common sense law he certainly was.

Yes Donte had been drinking and shouldn’t have been driving, but the circumstances were such that had he had zero alcohol or drugs in his system he still might well have hit the guy.

At which point Stallworth stopped, he cooperated with police, he admitted his wrong unlike most criminals these days, spent a year in jail and paid the guy’s family enough so they could live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

I only hope that if you personally end up in a situation like that that the people you deal with have more intelligence and compassion that you do. I suspect that if you did you’d cry to the world how it wasn’t your fault and oh woe is poor little you.

41. orivar says: Jun 11, 2013 8:21 PM

People don’t even know the case. Stallworth was “legally” drunk however the guy he hit was crossing a highway at 5am in the morning, that’s just asking for bad things to happen. I’ve tried to cross a highway during broad day light before, and after thirty minutes and multiple occasions where I would of been smashed by a truck I didn’t see in the third furthest lane…

I walked around the long way. People always want to judge but never look up facts.

42. justintuckrule says: Jun 11, 2013 8:37 PM

aldavis4president says:
    Jun 11, 2013 7:16 PM
    ———-
    sorry….he “manslaughtered” someone. feel better now?

43. justintuckrule says: Jun 11, 2013 8:40 PM

orivar says:
    Jun 11, 2013 8:21 PM

———————-

44. henryjones20 says: Jun 11, 2013 8:46 PM

45. bucrightoff says: Jun 11, 2013 8:51 PM

Mr. Bungle can relate.

46. deacon85 says: Jun 11, 2013 9:16 PM

Finally, someone who uses the word “literally” and means “literally.”

47. knowmewell85 says: Jun 11, 2013 9:19 PM

Let me light that ass on fire.

– Jason Collins

48. dmgkm says: Jun 11, 2013 9:32 PM

if anyone is a jerk its waffle 2.0. get off his case, unless if you are part of the victims family

49. alphadux2u says: Jun 11, 2013 9:34 PM

Who cares? Didn’t you hear, Tebow has signed with the Patriots!

50. hatesycophants says: Jun 11, 2013 9:56 PM

There are posters blaming the guy who was killed by the drunk driver? What’s wrong with you? One loser actually said the guy (decedent) was asking for it.

Stallworth’s name should never be mentioned without also pointing out that he killed another human being… not accidentally, but through reckless disregard.

51. TheNaturalMevs says: Jun 11, 2013 10:05 PM

Better than having some football player who has been boozing all night hit you and kill you with a car…. oh wait… too soon?

52. sweetnlow44 says: Jun 11, 2013 10:19 PM

“I only hope that if you personally end up in a situation like that that the people you deal with have more intelligence and compassion that you do.”

I’ll never be caught in a situation like this because I will never be driving with alcohol in my system. Had he been completely sober, not driving home from partying all night, he’d get that compassion that you’re seeking, no doubt. As it is though, I can’t justify having any compassion for the guy. I don’t wish him dead, but I can’t justify feeling bad for the guy about the situation because if he was a responsible person, he wouldn’t have been in that situation.

53. rcali says: Jun 11, 2013 10:22 PM

How many birds did he kill while guiding the balloon under the influence? Can’t believe there are still people who support Drunkte. I’m guessing the same believe O.J. is innocent.

54. 00reo says: Jun 11, 2013 10:27 PM

props for the correct use of the word “literally. “

55. lovedabirds says: Jun 11, 2013 10:39 PM

“why don’t ppl hate danny heatly like this? I mean that guy murdered his friend/teammate. smh oh nevermind I know the answer already.smh lol”

How about Josh Brent? Didn’t he do the same thing? Maybe we know why you forgot about him. lol SMDH

56. orivar says: Jun 12, 2013 12:01 AM

“dummy. This shows how reckless Stallworth was drinking and driving after an all night bender not the other way around. Maybe not in your morbidly obese flyover state but people get out and jog every morning that early. They don’t expect to be run over by drunks at that time of day. Stallworth got what, a month? Plaxico and Vick served real time and didn’t kill anyone (humans)””

And then somebody proves my statement correct on that you don’t know anything yet still tried to judge. So I will say it again, the man was CROSSING a highway at 5am in the morning. Not jogging along side, crossing the median where there isn’t stop lights or no cross walks. Maybe you should go try the same thing and see what happens.

Also if you paid attention to the evidence you would know that there was enough in Stallworth’s favor to fight the case and his defense team felt the same way however he decided not to and take the charge as he felt responsible.