Roethlisberger says he could play this week on knee

Ben Roethlisberger AP

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, less than a week removed from knee surgery, said he “could play Sunday if I had to.”

That would be weird, since it’s still June and the season doesn’t start for three months.

Roethlisberger described last Wednesday’s surgery by Dr. James Bradley as a routine cleanup, and he’s already gotten rid of his crutches.

“It feels great,” Roethlisberger said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I saw Doc Bradley this morning. He was pleasantly surprised with the range of motion and where we’re at with the swelling. It feels great. I’ve been off crutches for a couple days now and moving around pretty good. I think I could play Sunday if I had to.

“According to Doc, the surgery went really well, my knee is in great shape. They took care of the little problem. It had been bothering me a little bit last year and we just decided now is the time to take care of it.”

Training camp opens July 26, and Roethlisberger’s optimism now is a good sign. Of course, his history indicates he’s going to miss some time at some point this year (he’s played 16 games once). But he said after trying to manage the knee pain, he elected to have the procedure now rather than try to push through it.

“People say why not [have surgery] earlier? We wanted to try to see if we could manage it,” he said. “I’d come in on Tuesday and practice, it would feel good and by Thursday it was like a tire slowly losing air. It kind of hurt me on Thursday. We figured it was time to get it done and the doctors agreed.

“I think it was just general wear and tear. It’s my right leg, so it’s my plant leg. Every time I drop back I put a lot of pressure on my right leg. A lot of quarterback’s right knees are probably a little banged up.”

Those knees are also the reason they decided to upgrade at backup quarterback this year, bringing in Bruce Gradkowski to replace the old and equally infirmed Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Roethlisberger says he could play this week on knee”
  1. jjackwagon says: Jun 11, 2013 3:38 PM

And if Weeden improves at all, the Steelers will be the worst team in the division.

2. trollaikman8 says: Jun 11, 2013 3:41 PM

….and he would go 11-24, 0TD, 2INT, 5 sacks. Just like any other week.

How brave.

3. tvjules says: Jun 11, 2013 3:42 PM

Who’s need folds first?
    Big Ben’s or RG3′s??

4. gtorlone says: Jun 11, 2013 3:45 PM

That moment when you realize that this will be Ben Roethlisberger’s 10th NFL season and realize how old you’re getting.

5. Iknoweverything says: Jun 11, 2013 3:45 PM

The season has not even started and this tool is already playing the imaginary injury card.

Ben is the biggest faker in the league. At least 3 times a year he incurs some fake injury to build up an alibi for when he plays like crapola(usually) and to be hailed as a tough hero if he plays well(uh not so often)

Ben “the flopper” Injuryreportberger

6. oldirtyman says: Jun 11, 2013 3:47 PM

Never thought of Ben as the smartest player in the league. His athletic ability is his bread and butter. Hopefully this was a minor set back and he will be able to stay healthy for the entire season.

7. jonevans83 says: Jun 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Why talk about Ben? The Pats just gave the division to the Dolphins by signing Tebow. olloloLOLOloLOLOLOloOLloLO

8. thefox61 says: Jun 11, 2013 3:54 PM

And I thought the anesthesia wore off in only a couple hours…

9. kwjsb says: Jun 11, 2013 3:57 PM

He will never heal if he doesn’t stop cracking his knee on the ladies room floor.

10. mrplow3 says: Jun 11, 2013 3:58 PM

In before “Bens a drama queen” blah blah blah.

No Steelers fan here, but Ben plays through injury and plays well. Also his game is just flat out fun to watch, shaking DEs chucking it down the field.

But whatever, hate on.

11. stillers1229 says: Jun 11, 2013 4:01 PM

I always see the same haters on every Steelers thread. Insecurity is very unattractive.

12. Stiller43 says: Jun 11, 2013 4:03 PM

Trollaikman,

He had 26 td’s and 8 picks in what was widedly regarded as a down season.

13. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: Jun 11, 2013 4:06 PM

I WISH we were watching football this Sunday.

14. brownoholic says: Jun 11, 2013 4:20 PM

Hate em as much as any Browns fan, but the haters above me don’t know diddly about him….

15. brownspower says: Jun 11, 2013 4:21 PM

The Steelers better find a way to keep Ben on the field this year. His backup Bruce Gradkowski has to be the worst QB in the NFL. If Ben goes down it’ll mean last place for sure.

16. ncsteeler says: Jun 11, 2013 4:44 PM

For jjackwagon

Don’t you mean if Weeden morphs into Tom Brady? And if your D could stop someone?

17. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 11, 2013 4:45 PM

Of course he thinks he can play now. What do you expect from the poster child for poor judgment?

18. sportsfan18 says: Jun 11, 2013 4:48 PM

trollaikman8 — look at his career stats and you’ll see you’re off by just a bit…

The great Tom Brady’s career completion percentage is 63.7%. Ben’s is 63.1%.

There aren’t too many 11 of 24 passing games for these gentlemen…

Ben does throw a bit more INT’s than Brady. Ben throws an INT on 2.9% of his passes. Brady throws an INT on 2.1% of his passes…

As for taking sacks, Ben does do that. He averages taking 2.73 sacks per game in his career. Brady only averages 1.73 sacks a game in his career…

19. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 11, 2013 4:57 PM

Joemontanaflacco | Jun 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT

Hahaha…..child of poor judgement surely is not Ben , but the author of the above post. What do you know of poor judgement…wait you display it in nearly every steeler bashing post you make…yawn , another day in paradise. Lol

20. ravenmuscle says: Jun 11, 2013 5:35 PM

Great to see Ben in the news for a change.

21. ppdoc13 says: Jun 11, 2013 5:54 PM

It is the way that he plays which is going to kill his career. Just out of interest, when was the last time he played in every game of a season?

I have mad respect for this guy and I am a Ravens fan. He is a winner. But he is also a whiner. And with the way he throws his body around, it would not surprise me if he has gotten to the point where he is well past the “best” he has ever played. Not to say he can’t play or win games, so don’t misquote me, but if he can’t stay of the field then he isn’t helping the team. And having Bruce Gradkowski as a backup doesn’t put fear in the hearts of Ravens fans.

22. thesteelers says: Jun 11, 2013 5:56 PM

brownspower says:
    Jun 11, 2013 4:21 PM
    __________________________________

I have to strongly disagree. Have you seen Sanchez or Weeden play? Well, Weeden is your team’s QB so I’m sure you can understand that perspective. LOL

23. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:18 PM

He says he could play this week? Obviously his wife isn’t pregnant this week.

stiller43:
    It was only regarded as a down season because the TEAM missed the playoffs. Roethlisberger has played far worse during playoff seasons than he did in 2012, which shows you the man’s importance.

24. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 11, 2013 6:21 PM

sportsfan:
    Thanks for not embarrassing yourself by comparing Roethlisberger and Brady by their number of TD passes. I know. Scoring TDs is such a minor detail.

25. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 11, 2013 6:21 PM

Doesn’t surprise you would say that about Gradkowski because you felt the same about Charlie Batch and we all know how that worked out. Raven fans in the off season are world champs in everything they do….please.
    Yes Ben needs to be more careful and learn to e like 4/29 check down Flacco. Translation is he needs more luck….

26. halftermguv says: Jun 11, 2013 7:24 PM

It is the off-season so why not report Roethlisberger’s work with making another Make-A-Wish child’s wish come true (26 and counting), funding 62 animals for police K-9 units through the U.S. and receiving an award from the Pittsburgh Boys and Girls Club for his generosity of time and money.

No, twist an innocent remark, add some sarcastic remarks and let the haters begin with the slander, speculation, and out right lies.

1000 to 1 this gets rejected….too many facts.

27. evilfrasiercrane says: Jun 11, 2013 7:43 PM

Lets get real here. Ben is one of the top five qbs in the league. Most fans, including me, would love having him on their team. He’s already been in 3 super bowls (more than Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Cutler and the great RG3 combined). But wait, I guess he must be terrible.

28. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 11, 2013 8:10 PM

halftermguv:
    Roethlisberger has done a nice job cleaning up an image that was once splashed across the cover of Sports Illustrated and was deemed to be disgraceful. Helping others probably allowed him to keep his $100 million dollar contract.

Evilfrasier:
    Statistically, Roethlisberger is nowhere near the top five among QBs. The NFL Network’s players poll rated him at No. 11 among QBs and No. 61 overall.
    Put Peyton, Rivers, Cutler and even Romo with what was once a dominating defense, and they might be the ones with even more rings than Roethlisberger.
    Roethlisberger is NOT terrible.
    In fact, he’s a good QB who was drafted in 2004 by an organization that was building a dominant defense that enabled “good” quarterbacking to be just good enough.

29. steel2372 says: Jun 11, 2013 9:09 PM

Big Ben is clutch. No question it helps having a dominant defense but he has did his fair share of clutch performances in big games.

30. halftermguv says: Jun 11, 2013 10:44 PM

bobzilla1001 – Roethlisberger’s work with charities and K-9′s begain in his first season in Pittsburgh, not as a repair to his reputation.

I’m not going to debate the bogus charges of Nevada nor sorority drunks chasing a football star through three bars. Stupid drunken behavior by all involved.

The center piece of bad behaviour of the SI piece was food servers complaining about him. As we all know they never complain about customers.

31. siggy00 says: Jun 12, 2013 1:37 AM

Bobzilla is John Steigerwald’s butt buddy. They have had grudges with Ben since day one.

Bobzilla also thinks Byron Leftwich is better than Ben.

Yeah, the Steelers were building great defense, and yet were missing the playoffs in 4 of the 6 seasons before Ben got there.

32. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 12, 2013 3:32 AM

Good thing Roethlisbooger supports cops. One in particular played a big role in helping him avoid prosecution.

33. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 12, 2013 9:59 AM

34. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 12, 2013 3:03 PM

“I guess your hero Ray Lewis feels like he owes a big one to the Atlanta cops…..such a troll….posting @ 3:28 am. Must have quite a life for a steeler hater. Be thankful the steelers are living rent free in your tiny mind so you have a life.”

Hahahaha. Nofool is now keeping tabs of when I post. News bulletin, NF, there are different time zones in this world so don’t be so quick to judge me like you constantly misjudge Ray Ray. Good to know you’re concerned about me, but I’d rather you spend your time trying to ratchet down the rage and post something that is actually true.

35. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 12, 2013 4:11 PM

No need to keep tabs on a troll they show up on every steeler thread. Something very true is how tired steeler fans are of your constant high school trash talking….you wanted true you got very true.

36. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 12, 2013 10:05 PM

Steelers fans don’t like a Ravens fan? Oh, the humanity!

37. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 13, 2013 7:14 PM

What do the defenses prior to 2004 have to do with anything?
    I’m going to say this one more time: Since 2004, the Steelers’ defenses have been ranked No. 1 five times. That’s five times in nine seasons. At no other time in Steelers history has that happened. Not in the ’70s, not in the ’80s, not in the ’90s, not in the `00s. Why is this so difficult for you Roethlisberger Apologists/Obsessives to understand?