David Terrell: I wasn’t a bust, the Bears just had bad QBs

davidterrell Getty Images

The Bears spent the eighth overall pick in the 2001 NFL draft on wide receiver David Terrell, who was cut after four disappointing seasons in which he gained a total of 1,602 receiving yards. As a result, he’s largely viewed as a bust.

But Terrell doesn’t see it that way.

When the Chicago publication RedEye put Terrell on its list of the Bears’ worst draft busts, Terrell contacted the author of the list to complain, saying that the real problem he faced in Chicago was a lack of good quarterbacks to get him the ball.

I led the league for like the first four games with Rex Grossman at quarterback,” Terrell said of his final season in Chicago. “Until Rex Grossman breaks his foot against Minnesota. Did you forget that? I think you musta’ forgot about that. Man, I led the league in like every category basically until Rex broke his foot. When Rex broke his foot, after that, the season was over. I caught, I mean, I had nine different quarterbacks after Rex Grossman. I caught a ball from nine different quarterbacks in one year. Did you forget that?”

For the record, while Terrell is right that the Bears had a string of bad quarterbacks in 2004, he’s wrong about some of the details. The Bears had four quarterbacks — Grossman, Chad Hutchinson, Craig Krenzel and Jonathan Quinn — in 2004, not nine. And while it’s true that Terrell played well with Grossman at the start of the season, catching 16 passes for 267 yards in the first four games, he was not leading the league in any statistical category (let alone “every category”) at the time that Grossman went down.

But Terrell would have loved to have played with a passer like the Bears’ current quarterback, Jay Cutler. Asked what he would have been willing to give for that, Terrell answered, “I would have cut off both my balls. I’d give those up, no problem. You could have neutered me. I woulda been neutered with a smile.”

If that’s true, then no one can ever say Terrell wasn’t willing to sacrifice to win.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “David Terrell: I wasn’t a bust, the Bears just had bad QBs”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 12, 2013 7:27 PM

I would be inclined to agree with him, although he was a bit of a longstrider and couldn’t stay healthy, from what I recall.

2. mataug says: Jun 12, 2013 7:29 PM

Well, try applying the same logic to Megatron’s situation.

3. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 12, 2013 7:29 PM

….”had”?

4. goraidersgospurs says: Jun 12, 2013 7:30 PM

Dude is right, also if Raiders had Calvin Johnson & Larry Fitzgerald no way Jamarcus Russel would be consider a bust!!!

5. bertyboz says: Jun 12, 2013 7:32 PM

The last 2 paragraphs are probably the funniest thing I’ve ever read on here.

6. thefox61 says: Jun 12, 2013 7:43 PM

Chad Hutchinson ✖ Craig Krenzel ✖ Jonathan Quinn ➗Rex Grossman = 9 bad QBs.

7. jojopuppyfish says: Jun 12, 2013 7:44 PM

They left out that after the bears cut him, he got a try out with the patriots cause he had played with Brady in college…….and he never made it out of camp.

8. blackngold4life says: Jun 12, 2013 7:44 PM

Can’t compare his situation with Megatrons.. 9 QBs all of them terrible..If Stafford was that bad Megatron wouldn’t have the numbers he has year in and year out. If you gona compare it use Fitzgerald in Arizona who has basically vanishd since Warner retired and Boldin left.

9. patfaninbflo says: Jun 12, 2013 7:48 PM

I remember this guy being with the Pats briefly, right after the Bears dumped him, and he didn’t make it past training camp. It was a reunion with his college QB, Tom Brady, and he still got cut.

Tom’s no Rex Grossman, though, so I guess that explains it.

10. sampsonswag01 says: Jun 12, 2013 7:54 PM

That picture looks like it was taken at an XFL draft.

11. jaybirds95 says: Jun 12, 2013 8:27 PM

The author of the list was right. He was a huge bust. Terrell can blame the bad qb’s all he wants. If he was a good player, he would’ve went to another team and had a productive career. Instead, he is lumped in the same category with Charles Rogers, Mike Williams (Detroit), Troy Williamson, Reggie Williams, Peter Warrick, and Travis Taylor as Top 10 picks who turned out to be busts.

12. mushmouth2 says: Jun 12, 2013 8:37 PM

A legend in his own mind.

13. malachiofcourse says: Jun 12, 2013 8:38 PM

this was a good read

14. raiderinva says: Jun 12, 2013 8:39 PM

So how come Larry Fitzgerald is always at the top of the performing list of receivers year after year?

15. creamsiclecannon says: Jun 12, 2013 8:41 PM

I almost believed him before he implied that Grossman was a good quarterback

16. northstarnic says: Jun 12, 2013 9:02 PM

WHOA NELLY!

17. howiehandles says: Jun 12, 2013 9:04 PM

If Terrell had anything, Tom Brady would have got him paid somewhere else, after having big numbers with NE.

Exhibit 1: Wes Welker
    Exhibit 2: Deion Branch

If you can’t put up numbers with Brady, you’re done.

18. larryboodry says: Jun 12, 2013 9:18 PM

Good Rex…Bad Rex…Sexy Rexy…Three bad quarterbacks.

19. billyisradical says: Jun 12, 2013 9:23 PM

Well he’s half right. He DID have bad quarterbacks in Chicago, but he was most definitely a bust. If I recall he did have an chance to make a Patriots team with some guy named Brady at QB.

20. thenew013 says: Jun 12, 2013 9:41 PM

lol. He would give up his balls with a smile.

21. geefan1 says: Jun 12, 2013 10:35 PM

These concepts are not mutually exclusive. He was a bust who also had the misfortune of playing with bad QBs.

22. yondo123 says: Jun 12, 2013 10:38 PM

Loved him on Michigan….one of the best WRs past few decades.

23. rhamrhoddy says: Jun 12, 2013 10:39 PM

What a nut

24. rhamrhoddy says: Jun 12, 2013 10:43 PM

The next question should have been “Really? And what would you give to play with Joe Montana?”

25. derekv651 says: Jun 12, 2013 10:46 PM

He was a bust.

26. mrplow3 says: Jun 12, 2013 10:47 PM

This is the greatest thing any NFL player has ever said in the history of forever

27. mcba1n says: Jun 12, 2013 10:56 PM

No, he was a bad. Good technique lands you a shot – at worst. Look at GB – they fill the league with practice squad ‘fliers’ at WR. You need to run, also, another thing Terrell wasn’t so good at – oh and the whole catching the ball thing…

Guy was a complete bust. Even with Tom Brady, he’s a bust…. Erm – productive bust, that is.

28. ososrule says: Jun 12, 2013 11:06 PM

HAHAHAHAHHAHA! Where the hell did this come from? Real words from a bust!

@Tokyo
    Someone is getting scared! Even you’re MVP, Stand up, all around class QB wouldn’t say that Jay is a bad QB! Tokyo, you might want ease up man, I like you, but you take it way to far. Bears and the Packers are the best rivalry in the history of the NFL (some say oldest, but that reflects the best) and you need to respect that the Bears are much improved and respect that. Karma is coming for you Japan!!!!! : )

29. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 12, 2013 11:22 PM

Maybe A. Cromartie can switch to receiver and would be willing to give up his balls to play with Cutler. Thus saving a ton of $ on future child support.

30. vegaskid21 says: Jun 12, 2013 11:25 PM

Wanna hear something pathetic? Jay Cutler I has the best stats in Bears history. HA

31. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 13, 2013 12:05 AM

If he’d have cut off his own balls, he’d have been right at home with Chi01town.

32. realfootballfan says: Jun 13, 2013 12:24 AM

Is he high? He’s the poster child for why people are hesitant to draft Big 10 receivers high in the draft. dude was terrrrrrible.

33. bearsfan4life says: Jun 13, 2013 12:32 AM

Answer – 7

Question – How many games did he catch more than 4 passes in his Bears career?

No QB? What about Jim Miller in 2001? Even had a running game. (Anthony Thomas was rookie of the year)

His problem was his attitude.

Some of us haven’t forgotten him kicking the ball in the stands.

34. matrychapcox says: Jun 13, 2013 12:27 PM

Typical Michigan Weasel thinking that being good in his first four games is like winning the “September Heisman” in college.

Trevor and Mel are very fat.

35. wnstonchill says: Jun 13, 2013 1:53 PM

David Terrell had several attitude issues while with the Bears. The Bears had no coaching to develop a player like Terrell either. Dick Jauron was completely in over his head in that area. Terrell needed alot of leadership to guide him and develop him and he never received it in Chicago. Yes, the QB’s weren’t exactly worldbeaters either, however, a real man doesn’t point the finger at others for his lack of productivity, he looks in the mirror and acknowledges the problem!!

36. Chace says: Jun 15, 2013 9:08 PM

He was a complete bust and I remember his time in Chicago well because it was when I was growing up and had enough time to listen to local radio and Bears coverage for several hours every day. Yeah, he might have been better with someone like Cutler, but a true GREAT wideout would have still put up better numbers than he did even with subpar QB’s.

37. azkev says: Jun 17, 2013 2:34 PM

Terrell was a bust AND the Bears had a lot of bad QB’s.