Jason Garrett finally admits that he won’t call plays

Jason Garrett, Jared Green AP

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett finally got around to admitting that Bill Callahan was calling plays Tuesday, months after owner Jerry Jones decided he would and a week after Callahan himself acknowledged the switch but Garrett refused to.

But Garrett stressed that he remains part of the play-calling mix, but that the authority over that part of it will be Callahan’s.

We’ve been working really since the end of January with that in mind, and what that in mind is Bill Callahan has been the acting offensive coordinator, and he’s going to take on the full responsibilities of calling the plays,” Garrett said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We made that decision months ago. Where we did have a little bit of a miscommunication was when we were going to present that publicly.

“It’s something you’ve asked me about a number of different times, and I told you, ‘Well, we’re still working on that,’ and we were. We were working through the mechanics. . . .

“The area where we didn’t do a very good job – and I take full responsibility – is just being on the same page with the communication of that publicly. It came out last week and just to clarify it, those are the roles we are going to have.”

The other area Garrett didn’t handle well is hanging onto a job that had been his since 2007. He kept it through the transition of becoming head coach, and wouldn’t have willingly let it go if things were going well.

But Callahan hasn’t called plays in the NFL since 2003. The Cowboys haven’t finished lower than 13th in total offense since Garrett’s been in charge, and were sixth last year.

“Mr. Jones, Stephen (Jones) and I, we’re all on the same page and have been on the same page for months and been acting that way around this building,” Garrett said. “We just hadn’t said it out loud.”

Asked if he’d have final say on what Callahan was calling, Garrett hedged.

“I don’t like to use the word veto, but you always have that as a head coach,” he said. “It’s just important that you have a healthy respect for each other and a trust in each other and the communication is always really healthy, and those lines are always open going back and forth.”

Sounds like he could have been describing another process which obviously wasn’t communicated very well.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Jason Garrett finally admits that he won’t call plays”
  1. eaglesw00t says: Jun 12, 2013 7:47 AM

Eh..it wasnt the Cowboys offense that was the problem.

It was the porous defensive playcalling. Now that Rob Ryan is gone, I expect the Cowboys to instantly get better. He overthought everything. He tried to be his dad and brother, and didnt have the capability. Bring it back to basics, and watch the Cowboys improve immediately.

2. raiderufan says: Jun 12, 2013 7:55 AM

Anybody need more proof that Jerry Jones is the single worst general manager/owner in the league?

Offense is not the problem. The play calling leaves a little to be desired but it was what had to be with the RB postion never being solid. They had to throw a lot.

And throwing a lot leads to more chances for Jerry’s hand picked franchise QB to throw more bone headed picks or to run around with zero pressure and fumble.

So Jerry takes his hand picked coaches authority away AND gives it to a guy known for throwing the ball SO MUCH MORE THAN ANY COACH SHOULD. He tried to throw 80 times a game with a roster that was built for the triple option just 5 months earlier.

Jerry is a joke and wants instant results that he can’t see he’s getting very much in the way of.

3. jagsandliquor says: Jun 12, 2013 7:57 AM

He didn’t completely get his nuts cut off…

4. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Jun 12, 2013 8:14 AM

What a joke. But I still blame Jerry. Things will never be right in Dallas until that guy stops pretending to know how to run a foot ball team.

5. trajanthe1st says: Jun 12, 2013 8:49 AM

We have to decipher what Garrett really meant.
    What he really meant to say was” I’m Jerry’s butt puppet and his hand is up my ass right now. I’m supposed to tell you this is my idea. Every one knows Jerry makes all this stupid decisions and blames it on us, if it goes bad. I would really like to need to end this press conference because having Jerry’s hand up my ass has cause me to soil my panties.”

6. buckstop2013 says: Jun 12, 2013 9:04 AM

Puppets don’t speak.

7. johanvil says: Jun 12, 2013 9:24 AM

Wow. This must be a really pleasant situation for Garett…

8. fumblenuts says: Jun 12, 2013 9:50 AM

“But Callahan hasn’t called plays in the NFL since 2003.”

Rut Roh…..?

9. dcterp says: Jun 12, 2013 12:28 PM

This is a good move. Garrett put to much on his plate the last couple years. the play-caller should be breaking things down with the QB when the offense is off the field. HC needs to have his hand in everything, Jason made a couple mistakes last year trying to do too much.

10. bighoser says: Jun 12, 2013 3:51 PM

Great idea! This will leave Jerrah’s sock puppet JG time to focus on his strengths, like clock management.

11. mazblast says: Jun 12, 2013 5:10 PM

Exactly what does Jason Garrett DO for his paycheck?

12. hor2012 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:36 PM

I’m a Saints fan but I’m now living in Dallas. And, I’ve always liked the Cowboys. So, I’m not trying to be funny when I say this. This is going to end up bad. Jerry Jones has effectively taken away the ability of Jason Garrett to lead this team. It doesn’t manner rather or not someone else calling the plays will improve the team. The issue is that he didn’t want to give up the play calling duties and was forced to. That takes away all creditablity he has in the locker room. The Cowboys look to be in for a long season now. And, at this point Jerry Jones may need to consider firing Jason now. For all practical purposes he’s already done it anyway.

13. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jul 22, 2013 10:27 PM

Jason, you are now in charge of NOT icing your own kicker. Just handle that please.