Quarterback competition may not extend to Jets West

Geno AP

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez may think that the current quarterback competition is “awesome,” but that doesn’t mean he’s looking to compete any more than he has to.

Sanchez soon will be conducting his annual Jets West players-only pre-training camp workout camp, and it appears that quarterback Geno Smith won’t be there.

Specifically, Smith said to reporters on Wednesday “no comment” as to whether he’ll attend.  Last week, Sanchez said he has “no idea” whether Smith will be present.

There’s no reason for Sanchez to invite Smith.  As Sanchez explained after Tim Tebow was cut, friendship yields to competition.

“You’re just professional, and you’re cool and if the guy has a flat tire on the side of the road, I’m going to stop, I’m not just going to blow by him, but at the same time, I’m not sending him gifts on his birthday or anything,” Sanchez said of Tebow.

“I don’t see why it would be any different,” Sanchez said at the same time regarding Smith.  “I will help [Smith] out as much as I can, but when we have to compete, we have to compete, that’s the way it goes.”

Since they’ll be competing at training camp, Sanchez has nothing to gain by giving the receivers a chance to improve their timing and familiarity with Smith.  The extra reps are aimed at helping the players and, ultimately, Sanchez when the time comes to practice and eventually play.  If the goal is to win the competition, Sanchez should have no desire to give Smith a chance to do the same.

Of course, Smith could always organize his own workout session, perhaps in the place where he played college football.  We’ll even supply the Jets West Virginia T-shirts.

UPDATE 4:27 p.m. ET:  Sanchez separately said on Wednesday the “everyone” is invited to his party in California.  It’s hardly an engraved invitation for Smith.  And it makes the rookie’s “no comment” response any less odd.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Quarterback competition may not extend to Jets West”
  1. 6ball says: Jun 12, 2013 3:20 PM

” As Sanchez explained after Tim Tebow was cut, friendship yields to competition. ”

Tebow? Cut? Shouldn’t someone alert the media?

2. nfloracle says: Jun 12, 2013 3:32 PM

Somehow, I don’t see Geno organizing any workouts, though I do see him looking into getting a clothing line.

3. tannethrill says: Jun 12, 2013 3:40 PM

Smith should hold his own in the camp as see who decides to go where. Do you think Sanchez just had this scheduled frkm last year and forgot to send out the cancel?

4. itsunclepauley says: Jun 12, 2013 3:48 PM

Jest West vs Jets West Virginia.

Hilarious.

5. rcali says: Jun 12, 2013 3:55 PM

Well that is going to be one happy QB meeting room during training camps. Not sure I blame Sanchez but I’m not the one who is supposed to be the team leader. This seems like fear more than leadership.

6. ajg314 says: Jun 12, 2013 3:59 PM

Don’t care for Sanchez’ attitude at all. I don’t care that they’re competing for the same position. They’re on the same team. Team comes first. I can’t wait til Sanchez is gone.

7. granadafan says: Jun 12, 2013 4:05 PM

At least he’s willing to help Geno out some. That’s 100% more than Favre did for Aaron Rodgers. At least Sanchez said Hello. Favre did not and would not.

8. pisano says: Jun 12, 2013 4:08 PM

Sanchez isn’t NFL quality in any way, shape, or form. Case closed.

9. knowledge743 says: Jun 12, 2013 4:20 PM

Sad to say… sanchez will be starter week 1

10. tanzier79 says: Jun 12, 2013 4:22 PM

Does it really matter which one of these guys starts?

11. ampats says: Jun 12, 2013 4:28 PM

Quarterback competition ?

More like last man standing

12. onlysane1intheroom says: Jun 12, 2013 4:30 PM

“but that doesn’t mean he’s looking to compete any more than he has to.” The story of Sanchez’ life.

13. alexb1234 says: Jun 12, 2013 4:37 PM

nfloracle says:
    Jun 12, 2013 3:32 PM

——–

Can’t get more racist then that.

———

Why would Sanchez help out Geno? Would you? No.

Also let Geno Smith get on the field before everybody calls him/refers to him as a bust please. Last I checked he was the top rated qb coming into the draft before he sent a few text messages and text messages don’t change your arm strength – unless you have a 2,000 pound phone.

14. marima07 says: Jun 12, 2013 4:42 PM

Looks like Sanchez needs a Leadership Training refresher course like the one Rexy sent a third of team to last year. Yeesh.

15. qdog112 says: Jun 12, 2013 5:55 PM

What would happen if the receivers had to choose?

16. skon300 says: Jun 12, 2013 10:21 PM

Jets west is the biggest joke. Players only go because suckez pays for everyone. Why would geno want to associate with something that is a complete waste of time

17. viguy007 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:14 AM

Mark has done Jets West every year since he has been on the team. Last year Tebow was invited and went to Mark’s Jets West. There were no problems. All Jets fans know Jets West will happen and assume Geno has an invite to it. It is Geno’s choice if he wants to go.

18. prijak1 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:35 AM

The JETS West camp is a great time for Sanchez to connect with his receivers . I really hope the Diva Gina Smith does not attend.. He will just be a distraction…. Sanchez is the best QB in the NFL

19. knowledge743 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Hate sanchez but I can’t fault him.. you can’t give a guy more opportunities to take your job..I wouldn’t invite geno either…Sanchez has never had real competition ..his whole career with jets. He knows its a make or break year for him ..

20. mksnpcola says: Jun 13, 2013 10:24 AM

And the Arts and Crafts portion of the camp includes “How to make your very own lime green hair thingy”.

21. pisano says: Jun 13, 2013 11:05 AM

Thank God this will be the last year Jet fans will have to see this fraud (Sanchez) in a Jet uniform. What a loser this guy is.

22. romoscollarbone says: Jun 13, 2013 1:55 PM

I’m pulling for Sanchez. I live in NJ, and the nonsense the NY papers spout about him is amazing.

The guy came in and had success as a rookie, and 2nd yr player. Then last year, your #1 WR goes down early, no running game whatsoever, Kerley making plays here and there, Stephen Hill dropping everything. Keller playing not to get hurt because of FA and an abysmal O-line. Name a QB that would’ve won games with that scenario beyond maybe Manning, Breeze or Big Ben.

QBs need protection and weapons. It’s not Bugs Bunny out there, playing all 11 positions.