Redskins sign wide receiver Devery Henderson

devery henderson getty Getty Images

The Redskins have done their part to thin what’s left of the free agent wide receiver market.

Washington announced the signing of former Saints wideout Devery Henderson on Wednesday. The announcement of Henderson’s arrival on the same day the club added another swift, experienced pass catcher in Donte’ Stallworth.

Henderson, 31, played nine seasons with the Saints, the majority of which as a regular starter in the New Orleans offense. His field-stretching ability is his calling card; he’s gained 17.9 yards per catch since entering the NFL in 2004. Henderson (5-11, 200) hauled in 22 passes for 316 yards and a touchdown in 15 games (nine starts) a season ago.

In Washington, Henderson will likely compete for playing time behind Josh Morgan and Pierre Garcon.

Washington concludes its organized offseason workouts on Thursday.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
24 Responses to “Redskins sign wide receiver Devery Henderson”
  1. logicailvoicesays says: Jun 12, 2013 5:59 PM

Welcome aboard, Devery! You will enjoy getting a Super Bowl ring and visit to the White House next year!

2. prmpft says: Jun 12, 2013 6:12 PM

you can sign all of the former SAINTS receivers you want – what you are missing is a DREW BREES caliber QB!

3. jayovalentine says: Jun 12, 2013 6:14 PM

Solid pick up. He’s not a starter but with the weapons the NFL Rookie of the year has around him, they can build on last season.

4. hpeters77 says: Jun 12, 2013 6:24 PM

Henderson the who dat nation wishes you well

5. doubleogator says: Jun 12, 2013 6:31 PM

Good luck Devery, the Redskins got themselves an all around good player, one of the better blocking wide receivers in the league.

6. knowledge743 says: Jun 12, 2013 6:36 PM

Solid pick up.. the skins have a solid receiving core.. skins will win division.. rg3 is the truth.. he put baylor on the map

7. NotoriousKDV says: Jun 12, 2013 6:45 PM

Henderson and Stallworth? Wow. Someone’s going to be the odd man out with those two battling with Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Desmond Briscoe and Aldrick Robinson for spots behind Garcon and Morgan.

I think Briscoe for sure will get cut at some point and I hate to say it but it seems like Moss may be gone too with as many WR’s as they keep bringing in. I think Hankerson is safe for another year because I think he showed improvement last year. But he could be out too. Robinson is too fast to cut. They need speed an he gives them speed. So I think he’s safe. If I had to pick the 5, and I do think it will be 5, that make the opening day roster, then I’ll go with Garcon, Morgan, Henderson, Hankerson and Robinson.

And for those wondering about the rookie WR’s on the team right now, I don’t see any of them making the team unless one of them turns out to be a really good punt returner. I just don’t see any of them making the top 5 on the depth chart especially now that Henderson is signed.

8. nineroutsider says: Jun 12, 2013 6:53 PM

The Redskins are managing their roster at $18mil under the cap and handling it well; this is another good, cheap signing. RG3 has some more weapons around him, even if Garcon can’t stay healthy.

9. mssaintsfan76 says: Jun 12, 2013 7:12 PM

The Who Dat nation will miss you Devery! The Skins are getting a dang good football player and one with a lot of heart. I know you got allot of football left in you. Good luck and God bless!

10. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jun 12, 2013 8:11 PM

Good Luck Dev. Gonna miss ya. See ya in Opelousas soon.

11. sonnyboychris says: Jun 12, 2013 8:33 PM

Much love and respect to the Saints fans paying Devry his due. I’m looking forward to seeing him compete for a roster spot.

12. noring4youstill says: Jun 12, 2013 8:44 PM

Best of luck to Devery. Hell of a deep threat.

13. ascensionparish says: Jun 12, 2013 8:57 PM

We’ll miss you, Devery. We’ll always have the memories of SB44 and The Bluegrass Miracle.

14. ascensionparish says: Jun 12, 2013 9:00 PM

And a big “thank you” to PFT for posting a picture of Devery running against the Falcons. Well done.

15. bergthe1st says: Jun 12, 2013 9:21 PM

logicailvoicesays says:
    Jun 12, 2013 5:59 PM

Devery’s already done that.

And who still really thinks Donte Stallworth is a legit NFL receiver? Merely a role player in his prime.

Devery Henderson on the other hand has gotten better with age.

16. dat504 says: Jun 12, 2013 10:04 PM

Best of luck Devery, the Who Dat Nation thanks you for your years and wish you well

17. usmutts says: Jun 12, 2013 11:18 PM

Ah, yes, the Bluegrass Miracle. Probably one of the 20 best plays in college football history. Thanks again, Devery.

18. steagles66 says: Jun 13, 2013 12:06 AM

That’s great when was the last time the redskins won a playoff game ahahaha bums

19. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 13, 2013 11:07 AM

Devery was a heck of a baller for the Saints. One of the league’s best deep threats at one time, he made some spectacular catches and long touchdown runs.

It’s too bad that this parting of ways has to be so uneventful but this is life in the NFL.

Devery was special to this area because he not only played for the Saints but was an LSU Tiger as well.

Louisiana wishes you much luck and good fortune in your new locale Devery.

20. dorian26 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:04 PM

I’ll really miss Dev. He was great over the years. I bet he’ll never forget catching Drew’s record TD! Always a Saint! It eases the pain that it seems like Joe Morgan is poised for a breakout season

21. veetan says: Jun 13, 2013 6:57 PM

As a Saints fan, I hate to see him go b/c he’s still a speed freak with a lot of gas in the tank. Well done ‘Skins.

22. karlpilkington says: Jun 14, 2013 1:04 AM

Wow saints fans. I applaud you for your well wishes for henderson. I myself am a skins fan and was happy to see all the nice things said about a former player for your team. Was nice to see

23. defscottyb says: Jun 14, 2013 4:01 AM

Good signing, I like Stallworth too. Never should of gotten rid of Jabbar Gaffney though. Hail!

24. vegasvinnie says: Jun 15, 2013 2:38 PM

====================================

Devery’s always going to be hugely popular in Louisiana. Won championships with both LSU and the Saints and was part of historical plays for both teams. In addition, he was never a liability to his team, either on or off the field. Just a guy that went out and did work.

Best of luck, Devery. You deserve all of your success.