Geno says he didn’t know what Jets West was

Geno Smith AP

Geno Smith said he wasn’t trying to snub Mark Sanchez, he just didn’t understand the question.

That was Smith’s explanation Thursday for Wednesday’s weird “no comment,” when asked if he planned to attend Sanchez’s players-only Jets West camp before the start of training camp.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, Smith said he had been trained to not comment when he didn’t understand a question, and he simply didn’t know what Jets West referred to.

Smith added that if Sanchez invited him, he’d go. Sanchez said yesterday that “everyone,” was invited, so that presumably includes his primary competition for the starting job.

NFL players are well-instructed in how to avoid controversy with the press. Some absorb the lessons better than others. But this one seems fairly easy to dodge, if only by employing the time-honored “I have a bug in my ear, what did you say?” defense.

If asked about Jets West, an appropriate rejoinder might be something like “I’m sorry, what’s that?,” at which point the friendly reporters would say: “Why, that’s where Sanchez invites everybody out to the coast, they get together, have a few laughs.”

Now, we’re left to see if he shows up, or whether his invitation gets lost in the mail.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Geno says he didn’t know what Jets West was”
  1. redbirdsrising says: Jun 13, 2013 3:05 PM

If he says “I don’t know what that is” then they slam him for being ignorant. Media is a bit too much up in this guy’s grill.

2. itsacurse says: Jun 13, 2013 3:05 PM

Friendly reporters? That is sarcasm right?

3. btowngetsdown says: Jun 13, 2013 3:11 PM

I disagree with your recommendation on how to handle this question. If Geno replies that he does not know what Jets West is, then the media would make a big storm that Geno was so unwelcome at the event and out of the loop, that he never even heard of it. So, as weird as it was, no comment was probably not worse than that.

4. mykelane says: Jun 13, 2013 3:11 PM

Are we sure he doesn’t want to sign with Drew Rosenhaus?

5. 480volt says: Jun 13, 2013 3:14 PM

Nice Die Hard Segway….

6. jg725 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:14 PM

what was his wonderlic score??

7. sgruth33 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:17 PM

HOG WASH! LOSE LOSE situation. You guys would have made something out of it either way.

8. leggett17 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:17 PM

He is Vince Young all over again.

9. rkjacobson says: Jun 13, 2013 3:20 PM

“…out to the coast, they get together, have a few laughs.”

Nicely done with the subtle Die Hard reference! Maybe when looking back on this experience Geno will then “…know what a tv dinner feels like.”

10. immafubared says: Jun 13, 2013 3:29 PM

I still think the guy is dummer than a box of rocks and will not flourish in the NFL. Does he really think that we would think he didn’t understand what Jets West Camp was? I mean Sanchez has been doing this for several years, its well known by even non Jets so how does he not understand. How freekin hard is that?

I’m sure Jay Z told him to just say no comment anytime your real comment might piss someone off.

11. cardiovascularendurance says: Jun 13, 2013 3:36 PM

They’re making Die Hard-themed Segways now?!? That’s AWESOME!!!!

12. knowledge743 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:39 PM

Geno said no comment because he wasn’t invited..

13. tonyugoh says: Jun 13, 2013 3:40 PM

Man people really need to lay off Geno Smith and let him play in actual games first, dude’s a 22 year old who’s just learning how to play in the NFL, I’m sure everything is a blur right now.

14. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:42 PM

talk about overkill. I’m not a Geno Smith guy , but give me a break. So what he said “no comment” . I dnt blame him. Theedia is trying to poke a stick now. Trying to manufacture controversy between him and Sanchize(I still chuckle at that ) , but its getting ridiculous. Don’t insult my intelligence….thank you.

15. asimonetti88 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:42 PM

He says he doesn’t know what it is and he gets slammed for being ignorant. He made the right call- he’s made some PR missteps in his career already, Jets fans have to be glad that he’s listening to his advisors now.

16. dynaco says: Jun 13, 2013 3:43 PM

” at which point the friendly reporters would say:”
    ———————————————
    We’re talking hypothetically right?

17. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Jun 13, 2013 3:45 PM

Just ask Cam Newton and Michael Vick.

*shrug*

18. gobuccs1280 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:02 PM

“For certain types of people in certain positions, ANYTHING you say to the media is WRONG.
    Just ask Cam Newton and Michael Vick.”
    Maybe ask Tebow, too?

19. trollaikman8 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:06 PM

This guy is retarded…but not as retarded as the concept of Jets West.

20. bloodisred says: Jun 13, 2013 4:16 PM

And this is why some get snippy with the media – “no matter what I say, you’re going to twist it to your benefit or in this case attempt to create controversy”.

21. deliveredbysherpa says: Jun 13, 2013 4:32 PM

This only shows how dysfunctional the Jets are. There is no team, only a bunch of individuals and a few cliques. I actually think it says little about Geno Smith.

22. rcali says: Jun 13, 2013 4:33 PM

So if he was told to jump off a bridge, would he do it? That’s basically the robotic response situation we are seeing here.

23. luke8512 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:09 PM

Maybe he’s like the majority of football fans who don’t really give a crap about the jets until they drafted him and was unfamiliar with that terminology. If the reporter wasn’t being so cute about the phrasing he might of replied “Well, Sanchize offered to bring me out and show me the ropes of being an nfl qb, but I believe staying far away from him and playing madden all day will be better for my career”

24. fryeways says: Jun 13, 2013 5:19 PM

Seems legit.

25. rdav29 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:55 PM

Please let the Jets be on Hard Knocks this preseason…hilarious

26. mackcarrington says: Jun 13, 2013 6:18 PM

I have come to understand that the premise of PFT is to puff up every tiny, little thing that goes on in the pro football world. You found a niche and you managed to fill it. And yes, I, like so many other football hungry fans, eat up every morsel of the crumbs that you shove off of your table. But this story…….DAMN !!!!!!

27. asthebeaver says: Jun 13, 2013 7:25 PM

The Jets beat reporters are desperately trying to drum up a controversy to sell papers and compensate for the fact that they don’t actually know all that much about football.

28. lrjets says: Jun 13, 2013 7:30 PM

immafubared says:Jun 13, 2013 3:29 PM

________________________________

And you’ll be hiding where when he does flourish?

29. lrjets says: Jun 13, 2013 7:35 PM

asthebeaver says:Jun 13, 2013 7:25 PM

_______________________________

Right, the goal is to begin in New York and hopefully land a job in Scranton!

30. nflgreedleague says: Jun 13, 2013 7:51 PM

I don’t think it’s a good strategy to tell someone who went to West Virginia to respond “no comment” to everything they don’t understand.
    There gonna be A LOT of things a graduate from that school does not understand!
    “No comment”
    “No comment”
    “No comment”
    “No comment””No comment”
    “No comment”
    “No comment””No comment”
    “No comment”

31. dmp5687 says: Jun 13, 2013 10:54 PM

I couldn’t be happier for the Jets!

32. thunderherd says: Jun 14, 2013 9:19 AM

I would stay far away from anything Sanchez does or has done. He is a bum. I am shocked he is still a QB in the NFL. Geno can be no worse than Sanchez has been the last 3 years. The NY media is unbelievable, no matter his answer they would have crusified him either way.

33. lrjets says: Jun 14, 2013 11:36 AM

trollaikman8 says:Jun 13, 2013 4:06 PM

This guy is retarded…but not as retarded as the concept of Jets West.
    _________________________________
    The opinion of a self-admitted troll AND a Cowboys fan.
    How appropriate!

34. lrjets says: Jun 14, 2013 11:39 AM

rdav29 says:Jun 13, 2013 5:55 PM

Please let the Jets be on Hard Knocks this preseason…hilarious
    _____________________________

Care to have the guts to mention which team you root for?
    Thought so!

35. lrjets says: Jun 14, 2013 1:35 PM

jg725 says:Jun 13, 2013 3:14 PM

what was his wonderlic score??
    __________________________________

Not sure, but I do know his 2013 W-2 (Wage and Earnings) statement will be higher than yours for your entire lifetime.