League alters bag policy for safety, convenience

Purse

At a time when the NFL is championing diversity, the league still doesn’t want to see men with purses.  But for entirely different reasons.

The NFL is now prohibiting purses and other similar bags from pro football stadiums.

A team source alerted PFT to the looming change in the NFL’s policy regarding bags.  The NFL has confirmed that the policy, primarily intended to enhance safety, was revised based on the recommendation of the Stadium Security and Fan Conduct Committee.

Fans will be encouraged to bring no bags of any kind to NFL stadiums.  Starting with the 2013 preseason, only certain bags will be permitted.

Specifically, the bags must be clear, and they must be made of plastic, vinyl, or PVC.  The dimensions may not exceed 12 inches by six inches by 12 inches.  Alternatively, fans may bring a one-gallon Ziploc (product placement!) freezer bag.

Fans are limited to one bag each.  Teams will be encouraged to make clear bags available for their belongings.  Binoculars, phones, and cameras can be can be carried in to the stadium.

Coincidentally, clear plastic tote bags bearing official NFL team logos are available for purchase.

This means no purses (other than small “clutch” bags) or backpacks or coolers or briefcases or fanny packs or cinch bags or seat cushions or luggage of any kind or computer bags or camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.  The NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.

Again, small “clutch” bags (roughly the size of a hand) are permitted.  Also, an exception will be made for medically necessary items, subject to inspection at the gate.

Other venues have taken similar measures.  The University of Michigan, Penn State University, and Michigan State University prohibit all bags, and TD Garden in Boston allows only “clutch” bags.  It’s amazing more venues haven’t joined this trend.

The goal, in addition to safety, is to minimize the time spent inspecting items at the gate.  This procedure makes it easier to eyeball what fans are bringing to the stadium.

Ideally, fans would bring nothing, other than their wallets.

All (or at least most) kidding aside, it’s a good policy.  To ensure that everyone at a game is safe, sacrifices have to be made.  In lieu of sacrificing a bunch of time standing in line while gigantic purses and backpacks are searched, this policy makes plenty of sense.

And if fans don’t like it, they can watch the game at home.  The fact that the NFL is willing to let fans make that choice at a time when the league is trying desperately to lure fans to the stadium demonstrates the importance the NFL has attached to the issue.

Permalink 107 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
107 Responses to “League alters bag policy for safety, convenience”
  1. durangokidii says: Jun 13, 2013 1:25 PM

I can tell you at the Broncos v. Ravens playoff game last year (about -1,000 degrees), I would have literally died without the duffel bag of blankets and handwarmers we brought.

2. lehooper says: Jun 13, 2013 1:26 PM

good move!

3. jimmyt says: Jun 13, 2013 1:26 PM

The sad thing is the terrorist have already won and most folks just don’t know it.

4. brownsfanincali says: Jun 13, 2013 1:27 PM

5. bluntsmokinskinsfan says: Jun 13, 2013 1:32 PM

I can’t imagine why people won’t spend ridiculous money to go the stadium

6. keylimelight says: Jun 13, 2013 1:33 PM

Next, it’s going to be: “Can vee see your papers, please.”

7. tcostant says: Jun 13, 2013 1:35 PM

I’ll be home in front of my TV…

So there.

8. romeyinfc says: Jun 13, 2013 1:36 PM

I don’t know what’s more ridiculous, the new policy or your callousness towards it. Most (if not all) stadiums already have separate lines for people not carrying any bags, so people who bring bags are choosing to sacrifice their time.

What about cold weather fans who want to bring a bags containing blankets and extra cold weather gear? During those sub-0 games, the amount of gear easily exceeds 12×12. Combine that with the fact that you want to bring in your own snacks and drinks so you can avoid the $4 water. God forbid you have young kids and need to bring in a diaper bag into the game.

They can tout “safety” all they want, but this isn’t about reducing wait times: it’s about reducing the amount of security personnel required at the checkpoints – since the NFL can’t print enough money as it is.

9. maiphatdong says: Jun 13, 2013 1:36 PM

good….this isn’t a picnic….it’s a football game!

10. rlm1241 says: Jun 13, 2013 1:37 PM

Giving up freedoms, even small ones, are not sacrifices that should be made. This change would not affect me personally. However, those who want to bring in blankets, purses, what have you, should not be penalized. This issue is easily resolved by sending those folks through a separate line, allowing the bulk of the people who are walking in “with just wallets” to pass through the theoretically shorter lines. I will, as you recommend, choose to stay at home.

11. toddm6d says: Jun 13, 2013 1:37 PM

I guess I’ll just go with the alternative that’s even safer and more convenient…

Watching from home.

12. hatesycophants says: Jun 13, 2013 1:39 PM

Bull crap. The goal is to ensure that you purchase their exorbitantly priced items. That’s it.

13. scoops1 says: Jun 13, 2013 1:39 PM

Does that mean Jets fans can’t bring Brown Paper Bags to wear over their heads???

14. Jason Saidoo says: Jun 13, 2013 1:40 PM

At a time when they are trying to get fans to actually go to the games, this seems very counter-intuitive. This is more reason to stay home.

15. tvguy22 says: Jun 13, 2013 1:41 PM

No bag policy in my living room.

16. askmarc says: Jun 13, 2013 1:41 PM

and the cities with the plastic bag bans?

17. CKL says: Jun 13, 2013 1:42 PM

It’s a perception issue not a reality issue. And they are doing it probably out of lawsuit fear coupled with desire to make money. Just like when stadia banned bringing in water bottles when they sell them for $4 each.

As a fan, I’d much rather they give fans breathalizers before they can come in so a few overly drunk morons don’t ruin things for everyone else.

18. mintberrycrunch1 says: Jun 13, 2013 1:42 PM

Safe from what?! I’m so sick of the irrational fear of terrorism. Over the last 13 years, which includes the WTC attack, you still have a more than 2x chance of being struck by lightening than to be injured in a terrorist attack. This “threat” we apparently desparately need to be kept safe from is virtually non-existant.

19. hurrayforyogapants says: Jun 13, 2013 1:44 PM

So, you’re telling me I need to leave my European Man Bag at home?

20. bugorfeature says: Jun 13, 2013 1:44 PM

I don’t see the need for such severe restrictions. A few years ago I did some temp work at college football games and for one game I was one of the people who looked in bags and purses. The lines never got really long and it usually took less than half a minute to check someone out.

21. rhamrhoddy says: Jun 13, 2013 1:47 PM

They have separate lines for people with bags already.

I understand the security factor but it seems you can have bags AND security.

Either way I don’t think it’s all that big a deal unless I start noticing that the NFL is starting to sell items in the stadium that fans are no longer allowed to bring in.

22. Jason Saidoo says: Jun 13, 2013 1:47 PM

This is a veiled attempt at cultivating an appearance of safety. Anyone desiring to commit an atrocious act is not walking through the front gate. They are walking through the service entrances, loading docks, etc.

Just as the stores and pharmacies are “cracking down” on meth by putting pseudo ephedrine behind the counter and limiting the quantities, the NFL has misguidedly placed its emphasis on the wrong side of the gates. More pseudo ephedrine used for meth production is taken out the back of the store than the front.

Someday fans will realize that the true customer of the NFL is not the fan, but the television studios.

23. justintuckrule says: Jun 13, 2013 1:47 PM

B.S. #469 – NFL can give two craps about security. This is a league that let 2 moronic college students wander into the SB. This is strictly about making non-drinkers buy their $4 waters. Just another squeeze play by the NFL gestapo. I can’t wait until these stadiums are all half empty, a new commish is hired and brings this league back to greatness instead of sheer greediness.

24. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 13, 2013 1:48 PM

“To ensure that everyone at a game is safe, sacrifices have to be made.”

*********************

I seem to recall reading that somebody much smarter and more well regarded than you once said that those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither, Mike

It’s thinking like this that means we can’t take a pocket knife on a plane, or do any of 500 other convenient things because there is a tiny chance that somebody might do something bad.

Personally, I think the VW Microbus is an inherently unsafe vehicle. I’ve seen more than one of them burn up on the side of the road. Maybe we should outlaw them before somebody gets hurt . . .

25. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 13, 2013 1:50 PM

What about my European carryall?

26. juke1220 says: Jun 13, 2013 1:50 PM

It’s a good thing I will be watching the game in the comfort of my home. Wonder what kind of shoes they will allow in the stadium? NFL team logo only? Sheeeeesh!

27. fortphiladamsterdam says: Jun 13, 2013 1:50 PM

This is really, really stupid. They want fans to want* to come to the games, not to make it an inconvenience. What about my stadium blanket, which folds into itself to be a carrying case? How long until the ban extends to cell phones? Because we can’t see what’s inside of them, it could be a bomb…

So I can’t bring my blanket, I can’t put my camera in a case, I can’t use a seat cushion… and the NFL thinks this will help attendance?

28. jeffreyshulenburg says: Jun 13, 2013 1:51 PM

Have fun telling this rule to the people of Chicago, Buffalo and Greenbay who rely on bags full of parkas and blankets to SURVIVE through the games. December in Buffalo will be interesting this year

29. gadgetdawg says: Jun 13, 2013 1:51 PM

Yep, another thing ruined by irrational fear. I guess watching from home is what the NFL really wants. If they wanted us in the stadiums things wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg, we could bring things that made us comfortable and we wouldn’t have to wait in line forever.

Special cable packages look more and more attractive every day.

30. granadafan says: Jun 13, 2013 1:51 PM

Yeah, great way to encourage women to go to games by telling they can’t bring a purse. Oh, the NFL wants to encourage families to come to games? Good luck telling parents they can’t bring a bag full of goodies for kids.

High ticket prices, no purses and bags, high concessions and parking. My wife and I will stay home, watch the game on the big screen HDTV, and invite friends over for a party, all for less than $50 or so.

31. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 13, 2013 1:52 PM

_____

This will be a serious problem for Packer fans. A lot of them bring seat cushions to put on those cold, hard, aluminum benches they love at Lambeau. Also, it keeps their seat from disappearing when they go to get a beer.

32. SparkyGump says: Jun 13, 2013 1:54 PM

33. ruffbufffire says: Jun 13, 2013 1:55 PM

Thats terrible news!! Are the stadiums gonna provide heated seats ?? Watchin on TV I guess

34. FinFan68 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:00 PM

Couple things. This is probably more about money than safety. Less guards at checkpoints and increased sales on site. That said, those that believe there is no threat are delusional. The threat is huge and masses of people are a prime target. Still, these security measures are largely ineffective and give the illusion of safety. The main concern is often overlooked. Insiders with unfettered access. BTW, some are saying not to give up rights/freedoms for security. Going to games or even using public transportation or going to airports are neither si that point is completely invalid.

35. commonman8 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:01 PM

And for fan’s convenience….. You can get your clutch bag with your favorite team logo for $59.99 right by the gate……

36. demolition510 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:03 PM

Watch they try to change the blackout rules for the worse next

37. petedutcherjr says: Jun 13, 2013 2:10 PM

Horrible change. Especially for cold weather games. Things like this are why fans are buying fewer tickets.

And rightfully so.

38. petedutcherjr says: Jun 13, 2013 2:11 PM

I guess diaper bags are out as well, so mothers of toddlers are being discriminated against.

39. surfinbird1 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:12 PM

mintberrycrunch1: “threats” virtually non-existant. Tell that to all the people that just had their loved ones killed,or had arms ,legs or both blown off, including kids ,in Boston. I suppose you want box cutters back on planes too. You would probably be the first in line to sue somebody if it happened to you.

40. mikeytrapp says: Jun 13, 2013 2:15 PM

“Ideally, fans would bring nothing, other than their wallets.” Which the NFL will empty during the game.

41. valarmorghuliss says: Jun 13, 2013 2:17 PM

If you think “the terrorists have already won” you’re clueless to what is important, and what “winning” really means.

42. dlux36 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Damn, guess no more cheerleader close-ups from my big Nikon….

43. petedutcherjr says: Jun 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Out of all the comments here, only two think this is a good thing. The NFL just alienated 98% of their fan base.

44. uwsptke says: Jun 13, 2013 2:21 PM

Not cool. Seat cushions are a neccessity at Lambeau.

45. ken0west says: Jun 13, 2013 2:23 PM

Next team to build a new stadium should find out how many executives work for the fortune 50 and only make the stadium that big. The NFL stadium experience bubble is about to burst, PSL holders beware. Inside 20 years the stadiums will be 1/3 the size and have x10 the luxury boxes.

Why anyone not on a corporate tit goes to games on even a simi regular basis is beyond my comprehension.

46. wagerhope says: Jun 13, 2013 2:25 PM

Definitely a great way to compete with the “home experience.” I never let any friends bring bags over unless I inspect them, and they must be filled with beer and/or chicken wings.

47. scoops1 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:26 PM

Antonio Cromartie wishes there would be a mandatory bag policy

48. samiratou says: Jun 13, 2013 2:27 PM

Great. So now, instead of spending way more time than is necessarily in line behind women who feel the need to bring a purse to every game, I get to stand in line even longer listening to women plead and argue and try to get them to let them through with their bags. Awesome. In most cases I think purses are unnecessary–I leave mine at home and just put necessities in my pockets, but I just don’t see this going over well.

49. bobcrs says: Jun 13, 2013 2:29 PM

So Crazy….Sounds like a real enjoyable experience. Why not just go naked?

50. buddysguys says: Jun 13, 2013 2:29 PM

i blame this on 9ers, chargers and raiders fans. stop stabbing each other like its Alcatraz, i got stuff to carrying in!!!!

51. br0cksamson says: Jun 13, 2013 2:31 PM

The NFL is as bad as the TSA now.

52. jark5 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:32 PM

When the price of a decent ticket equals the cost of purchasing Sunday Ticket for a whole season of every NFL game…This makes no difference. Cavity searches are next ya’ll!

53. PackersHome.com says: Jun 13, 2013 2:32 PM

“NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.”

I wonder if having to sit on the uncushioned bench (or pay the fee to rent a seat) will make it easier for us to get tickets to games. I look forward to paying $8.75 for a lukewarm (btw, how the hell does that happen when it’s ten degrees out?) bottle of beer and $5.75 for a cold hot dog.

54. pats54 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:33 PM

“And if fans don’t like it, they can watch the game at home.”

And we will. Better view of the game, more comfortable and I don’t have to pay $9.00 a beer. Parking is free, I can watch other games at the same time and there’s no line to use the bathroom. If you want to come over, feel free. I must warn you, safety is a big priority here at pats54′s house so no pants, shoes and shirts allowed. We sell NFL Proshop Patriots underwear once you make it past security so no worries there.

55. granadafan says: Jun 13, 2013 2:37 PM

And the NFL wants to have more Super Bowls in cold weather stadiums??? Sorry, no blankets allowed, but you can buy this licensed commemorative thin blanket for $80. If you’re still too cold you are welcome to buy two for extra comfort. Oh, and coffee/ hot chocolate will be offered at the competitive price of $20 per cup.

56. vnhalen says: Jun 13, 2013 2:38 PM

think an exception will be made for the first cold weather super bowl?!?

57. tmalone1 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:40 PM

it’s not a purse, it’s a satchel.

58. 916takeyawallet420 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:44 PM

It’s not a purse, it’s a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

59. efriedo says: Jun 13, 2013 2:46 PM

No Problem, I’ll be watching from my couch anyway, so I don’t need to bring a bag…

60. geetee52 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:47 PM

About 5 months from now we’ll see a new wave of stories regarding what the NFL can do about declining attendance.

The answer will again be they need more new stadiums paid for with tax dollars.

61. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

FinFan68 says: BTW, some are saying not to give up rights/freedoms for security. Going to games or even using public transportation or going to airports are neither si that point is completely invalid.

****************

[Pulls out handy Pocket Constitution. Flips to Amendments.] Let’s see now — 1, 2, 3 . . . wait, what’s this fourth one all about?

62. westampa says: Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

A terrorist wants to harm as many people as possible. By having the large crowded lines to get in the NFL is providing them with an easy target. All a guy needs to do is leave a bomb in a bag or open fire on a group of people with a rifle fro ma mile away.

63. Getoffmylawn! says: Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

Start broadcasting in 3D and I will never attend a game in person again. I now hope we never get a team in Los Angeles!

64. westampa says: Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

We can all thank the 49ers fans for this.

65. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 13, 2013 2:55 PM

Some facts people throw out are really… strange. “You are 2x more likely to be struck by lightning than to be involved in a terroist attack” Ah yes, but can you avoid a random lightning strike? I’d rather risk walking around and being hit by lighnitng than risking my life enjoying a football game in a stadium full of strangers where ANYONE can gain access. Children who are still in Diapers shouldn’t be going to a football game, or any sporting event for that matter, that is poor parenting, find a babysitter or don’t go, what is really more important? I have never found it neccesary to bring a blanket to a football game, and I live in Buffalo. Dress accordingly, do you need a blanket when you go skiing or snowboarding or snomobieling? However, for those that do need a blanket, younger children and the elderly, among some others, why the bag? You can carry a blanket with you, the bag makes it easier for YOU, not the other 80,000 fans and staff. These policys make me more apt to attend games, it doens’t deter me. I hate when I sit next to somebody who takes up 1 1/2 seats with blankets, diaper bags, jackts, gloves, extra pants, purses, seat cushions, you name it. Kudos to the stadiums, maybe now I won’t have to close up my tailgate party 2 hours before kickoff to ensure I make it to my seat in time to see it.

66. steelerrc says: Jun 13, 2013 2:56 PM

What! I can’t take my officially licensed NFL stadium seat into an NFL stadium?

67. camdenyard says: Jun 13, 2013 2:57 PM

I’ve heard the NFL wants to enhance the fan experience so more people will come to the stadium.

This must be one of those “enhancements”. I’m impressed…you?

68. sourceformerlyknownasunnamed says: Jun 13, 2013 2:57 PM

What about paper bags for Jets fans?

69. bordner says: Jun 13, 2013 3:00 PM

Granted, it was Oakland, but I went to a game last year and my buddy walked right in with a folding knife with a 4″ blade tucked in his waistband. We walked right through while the wives had to wait in a different line to get their bags searched.

70. ndrick731 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:09 PM

Let’s see what happens when the cold weather comes in and the northern cities stands start looking like the ones in Arizona and Jacksonville. Half empty. That’s when they’ll realize that their money grab that they’re making here isn’t paying off. And then the exemptions will start. Like bringing blankets in and such. This type of garbage is the reason I stopped putting out good money to go see games in person. The only thing I will still go see in person is hockey. Because TV doesn’t do that justice.

71. jgedgar70 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:10 PM

“In lieu of sacrificing a bunch of time standing in line while gigantic purses and backpacks are searched, this policy makes plenty of sense.”

I’m glad somebody else noticed. Woman with purse large enough to hold at least 2 children walks into a store, and a man wearing a backpack walks in right behind her. Woman is allowed to proceed, man is told he must leave his backpack at the register or customer service desk. You know, because a woman would NEVER steal something by hiding it in that gigantic purse, but the man is GUARANTEED to steal something by hiding it in that backpack.

So from that aspect, this is a good policy.

72. smalltownqb says: Jun 13, 2013 3:21 PM

Hate to say it but this is just another reason why I keep paying DirecTV for it’s NFL package.

73. omegalh says: Jun 13, 2013 3:29 PM

And they wonder why we don’t go to games. The more restrictions, the more i like my couch.

74. jburns9999 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:30 PM

The next step will be to ban clothing of any kind. That will definitely have an effect on attendance at any home playoff games in Green Bay.

75. shlort says: Jun 13, 2013 3:41 PM

What if I want to bring the “ol’ Hay bag” to a game? Maybe this is a good reason to leave the old lady at home? Hahaha

76. puntonfirstdown says: Jun 13, 2013 3:47 PM

Those of us on the aluminum benches at Lambeau Field will now have the coldest rear-ends in the NFL.

77. thirdistheworrd says: Jun 13, 2013 3:49 PM

Airplane bottles will still fit in pockets, not really sure what the issue is here.

78. granadafan says: Jun 13, 2013 3:51 PM

jburns9999 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:30 PM
    ==============================================

Correction, they’ll only allow officially licensed clothing, from shoes, socks, to underwear, pants, shirts, hats, sunglasses, etc.

79. singletitle says: Jun 13, 2013 4:01 PM

If the NFL was serious about “fan safety”, they’d stop selling alcohol at games, or start doing random field sobriety checks upon admission and exiting the stadium.

This is nothing more than profits. Cold? Buy a team-logo blanket. Hungry? Buy some food from the concession stand. Don’t want to sit on a hard metal bench for 4 hours or so? Pay per game for the “approved” cushion bolted to the seat.

A 40+ inch flat screen with HD capability is less than two tickets to any NFL game this season. We also have the ability to choose what food and drink we’d like at a much more reasonable cost, we don’t have to wait in line to use the bathroom, and I don’t have to worry someone’s going to call the “knuckleheads” line if anyone in our seats lets fly with a four-letter word or two after a bad call.

It’ll be fun to watch Roger Goodell defending this policy during his “cold weather Super Bowl”, or the first time one of his TSA — oops, “safety professionals” helps themselves to someone’s camera or Chanel quilted handbag…

80. whysomanylosers says: Jun 13, 2013 4:01 PM

Security is a JOKE. My friends and I walk into Bucs games (yes, we are the ones that show up) wearing flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt (with nothing in hand) and still wait in line to get “screened”. Yet, I know plenty of people that smuggle in their own booze.
    Makes me think of how many brats Packer fan is smuggling in those big down parkas. Anyone know what is in those ugly yellow wedges on their heads too?

81. seaeagle707 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:03 PM

During the last decade NASCAR, spiked in popularity and the prices charged reflected that. $50 seats became $90 seats. $2 brews became $7 brews, once free parking often came with a charge. But the number of bathrooms stayed the same and lines became unbearably long. NASCAR’s attitude seemed to be, “we got it, you want it, so you ARE gonna pay for it”.

Then the bubble burst, as the economy skidded and people lost jobs. NASCAR now finds itself having to offer discounts, hold contests, and other promos to fill the seats.

The NFL today, reminds me of NASCAR then, and one can only wonder if they’re headed for the same day of reckoning, when fans will say, ENOUGH! The pricing structures are beginning to turn fans away, and the rowdiness at stadiums has many thinking long and hard about plunking down major coin for a 4-hour ordeal.

The NFL does have the advantage of drawing a high percentile of the white-collar class (versus the predominantly blue-collar and lower income fan base of NASCAR), but you can push people only so far, and when the limit is reached, something will break. Personally, I believe that the time will come when all pro sports will be TV-only in nature (and probably PPV).

82. niner13 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:12 PM

I don’t know who squelched my freedom more: the NSA or the NFL.

83. FinFan68 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:22 PM

NoHomeTeam says:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

****************

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Try again because the 4th amendment to the constitution does not mean what you are trying to imply. If you voluntarily subject yourself to the search (by going to the game, airport, etc.) how exactly is it unreasonable? It is not forced upon you in any way. Nobody is unlawfully targeting you in any way. If you choose not to go you are not subjected to any search whatsoever. Too many people confuse rights and freedoms with conveniences.

84. clssylssy says: Jun 13, 2013 4:46 PM

Empty seats in Arizona? FYI Cardinal stadium has sold out every game since it opened in 2006! However, I get your drift and have to wonder what the owners thought would happen to ticket sales when they passed this new policy. It will be interesting to see just how many stadiums get sold out under these new fan-unfriendly policies.
    Let’s see…how many pockets do we have for wallet, keys, phone, camera…airport security is less of a pain. I say, the stadium experience is great but you get to see more at home and this should separate those who go to the game for the party from the real fans who will be at home in front of the big screen TV! BOYCOTT stadiums and show the owners that the fans have something THEY want…namely, our money!

85. mintberrycrunch1 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:47 PM

surfinbird1 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:12 PM

—————————————————-

Compare “all the people” killed or maimed in the United States due to terrorism to all the people who WEREN’T and tell me the percentage. That percentage will be incomprehensibly low. That is the very definition of “virtually non-existant”.

If you are that scared of a circumstance (terrorist attack) that very very very rarely happens in the United States, then I don’t know how you even leave your bed, because you have a much higher chance of tripping down your stairs and dying of a closed head injury, or getting in a car accident and being severely hurt or killed than being in a terrorist attack. Your fear of terrorism is completely unfounded, irrational, and not based on the reality of everyday life.

86. skinsrock says: Jun 13, 2013 4:48 PM

I prefer to smuggle a 6 pack of beer in each arm of my winter coat.

87. mintberrycrunch1 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:52 PM

rabidbillsfan says: Jun 13, 2013 2:55 PM

————————————————-

The fact I presented is 100% true and not strange at all. I presented it to point out the absolute idiocy of being terrified of something that rarely happens. How exactly are you “risking your life” by going to a sporting event? That statement is incredibly ridiculous. Speaking of people “gaining access” to you, you do realize that there are hundreds of “strangers” around you all day everyday that have this same access? If you are that scared of strangers being able to hurt you then you shouldn’t leave your house.

88. thatsrightmike says: Jun 13, 2013 5:00 PM

So items that are allowed in airplanes, courtrooms, military institutions, government buildings including the White House, etc aren’t allowed in a sports venue. – yeah that makes total sense. Sounds just like voluntarily spending time at a prison.

89. seanpbeck says: Jun 13, 2013 5:12 PM

So June 13 was the day the NFL announced they didn’t want a single woman to attend their games? Seems counter-intuitive since that’s been their single biggest growth area in Merch sales the past decade. Without checking, I’m sure the NFL markets purses with their official logos that are larger than 12x6x12.

We already have separate lines for bag-holders – let them choose to wait and be inspected (if you really care about our safety and not laying off screeners).

Also, you could take any big puffy coat and fill it with explosives, so we’ll need to move every team North of the Mason Dixon to the South to outsmart terrorists/winter. Good luck with all of that.

90. mmeta says: Jun 13, 2013 5:36 PM

Now you will see tampon machines in every bathroom. More than one way to make a buck.

Go Goodell

91. mackcarrington says: Jun 13, 2013 5:37 PM

To the Bills Fan who compared sitting on cold aluminum stadium benches for three and a half hours to skiing and snowboarding. Are you kidding???? You really think that is the exact same thing? And no seat cushions because they think someone could put a bomb in it? And YES, the terrorists HAVE WON because they are causing fundamental changes to the things that we have always taken for granted. Basically it’s the same as accusing EVERYONE of being guilty until we find the one who is truly guilty. I find it amazing that most people have no problem with that!

92. agarda says: Jun 13, 2013 5:44 PM

surfinbird1 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:12 PM

————————————

No bags policy wouldnt have stopped Boston, genius. You realize you can’t cordon off an entire city, right?

Honestly, you’re exactly the reason we have to deal with this. The govt has you so convinced you’re in danger from things which rarely happen that they tell you to jump off a building and you’ll go because ‘terrorists’. It’s a shame and that’s exactly how liberty gets taken.

And if someone wants to blow a stadium up, they ain’t coming through the front door.

93. spedman24 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:44 PM

The good old days you could have brought anything you want…

94. turfczar57 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:50 PM

Once I put a blanket in a “clear” bag…it’s no longer clear. Duh! Must be the NFL Logo that makes it safe?

95. bordner says: Jun 13, 2013 6:00 PM

mmeta says:
    Jun 13, 2013 5:36 PM

—————————
    Officially licensed tampons, of course. What’s that old joke about merging the Buccaneers and Green Bay and calling them the Tampacks?

96. jburns9999 says: Jun 13, 2013 6:02 PM

whysomanylosers says:
    Jun 13, 2013 4:01 PM
    “Anyone know what is in those ugly yellow wedges on their heads too?”

All I know is a large number of their heads were exploding in that divisional playoff game with the 49ers.

97. gatherspeed says: Jun 13, 2013 6:03 PM

I’m a season ticket holder and my team GAVE OUT little messenger bags to everyone as they entered the stadium. Team and nfl logo on it.

A few weeks later I was not allowed to bring it in. It was a 25 minute walk back to my car so I just chucked it along with towels and everything else in it in the trash can outside the stadium.

I had to shove it in because the can was full…of bags.

Nice job planning nfl.

Last seasons new policy. I can bring binocs, but no case to hold them in. So I had to walk around the stadium carrying them. Pain in the ass.

I’m really thinking of ditching my season tix after this year.

98. cliffclavicle says: Jun 13, 2013 6:28 PM

Typically fascist overreaction by the most fascist of the four major sports leagues. This has nothing whatsoever to do with “security” and everything to do with “stadium concessions”.

Want safer “game day” experiences for your fans? How about breathalyzers at the gates to weed out the scores of hammered drunken maniacs who pack those stadiums on Sundays? They’re the only serious security risks at these games, yet the NFL would never dare to put a stop to their bread & butter, which is beer sales.

99. thefox61 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:03 PM

“Fans will be encouraged to bring no bags of any kind to NFL stadiums. Starting with the 2013 preseason, only certain bags will be permitted.”

I know what “certain bags” will be permitted in Denver and Seattle…

100. eatitfanboy says: Jun 13, 2013 8:14 PM

LOL. Enhancing the in-game experience.

What a bunch of silly nannies we’ve become.

You do realize that there are at least 10,000 ways you are more likely to die than in a terror attack?

Statistically speaking, we would need to have a 9/11 sized attack every single day for the next 3 years before you would have a 1% chance of being involved? You quite literally have a better chance of being struck by lightening. In your home.

Yet to combat against this minuscule possibility, we have turned our whole world upside and given up so many of our rights.

Sad.

101. hockeyflow33 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:17 PM

I bet this has nothing to do with buying expensive team logo gloves, hates, blankets, hand warmers etc when you’re at the stadium.

102. toybkshr says: Jun 13, 2013 8:39 PM

SparkyGump says:
    Jun 13, 2013 1:54 PM
    I guess we’ll be seeing some empty seats come december. If NFL Security actually does catch some terrorists, they should make them watch a Jaguars, Jets or Browns game. ——————————————————————————————
    LOL – AGREED!

103. jeannedunne says: Jun 13, 2013 9:36 PM

Haven’t explosives been put in shoes? Will the NFL be selling special NFL logo flip flops at the door? How much will those cost? I know where I would like to put my flip flop!!!

104. scyankee9999 says: Jun 14, 2013 12:24 AM

rabidbillsfan
    I couldn’t help but laugh and the ignorance of your comments. No I don’t bring a blanket when I hit the slopes or go snowmobiling. That’s probably because its exercise and your sweating, not just sitting there on cold seats. You do understand that sitting or standing in the cold with minimal movement will feel much colder than being mobile. Children in diapers shouldn’t come to football games? The fans that built the success and popularity of the NFL are those fans that can remember what it was like to go to games with their fathers! you know before corporate greed has turned the NFL into an overpriced popularity contest. Where tickets became corporate perks or where people become so drunk that they strip off their shirts in sub-zero temps and spill out profanity and obnoxious behavior just so the camera pans their way. Lets face it attendance is down because the family environment has been removed from the stadiums. I spent 15 years working with children and I can honest say that maybe 1 out of a hundred have been to a NFL game but claim to be true fans. If they never see a game live than why will they shell out hundreds to take there children to games?
    Lastly just because you live in Buffalo and have became acclimated to the weather doesn’t mean that warm weather visiting fans have. Good luck selling out your stadium to just Bills fans.

105. derklempner says: Jun 14, 2013 2:07 AM

“brownsfanincali says:
    Jun 13, 2013 1:27 PM
    Damn…. If I can’t bring my old bag to the stadium, what is she gonna do on Sundays now ?”

I was so HAPPY to be the 666th person to thumbs-up that comment!

106. robyesno says: Jun 14, 2013 3:19 AM

Why not prohibit sale of alcohol. I was hit by a drunk driver going home from the stadium!

107. jetswin01 says: Jun 26, 2013 2:34 PM

I gotta pay all that money for season tickets, and now you don’t want me to bring anything in?This will be my 19th and last year.