New bag policy applies only to bags

Bags Getty Images

The league’s new policy regarding bags brought to stadiums has, so far, generated more of a reaction than we expected.

So let’s write more stuff about it.

Several of you have expressed concern that the policy will preclude fans from bringing blankets and other items aimed at keeping bodies warm during cold-weather games.  It doesn’t and it won’t, as long as you don’t try to stuff the blankets and other items in a bag.

Likewise, coats and hats and cheeseheads and other things a fan would wear are permitted, as long as they’re being worn and not placed in a bag.

Also, in the interests of complete clarity, small purses (the size of a hand) are permitted.  Larger purses aren’t.

So take heart, those of you who hope to wear something other than clear plastic bags on their heads to express dismay at the local team’s performance.  You won’t have to risk suffocation to make your point.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
39 Responses to “New bag policy applies only to bags”
  1. winkeroni says: Jun 13, 2013 2:22 PM

The fanny pack is coming back!!!!! Heck yeah!!!

2. petedutcherjr says: Jun 13, 2013 2:24 PM

Still not good enough. I’m selling my season tickets.

3. wagerhope says: Jun 13, 2013 2:27 PM

Just wait until there’s a cheesehead bomb.

4. jleeblitzburgh says: Jun 13, 2013 2:32 PM

Yet another reason Direct T.V. gets my money and not an NFL stadium/team owner. For the pleasure of sitting a mile away from the action, un-affordable game tickets and food and drink prices that are equally as unaffordable, I am not allowed to pack my game stuff in a bag.

No worries, I won’t! See you from the sofa

5. nineroutsider says: Jun 13, 2013 2:33 PM

I don’t bring bags into the game (except dime bags – HaHa J/K…maybe), but this is more reason to stay at home and watch the game on 65 inches of pure HD joy with all the close-ups and camera angles a man could want. I’m cool on airport security, over-priced food and beer, and bad traffic. I’ll stay him except for playoff games. Those are can’t miss regardless of the crap they put us through…

6. floratiotime says: Jun 13, 2013 2:36 PM

The other alternative was for the bottom feeder teams to get better. That suggestion was immediately ruled out.

7. billsgiantsfan says: Jun 13, 2013 2:39 PM

Just one more reason (and growing) of why I won’t be heading out to the stadium. My living room (or the bar down the street) is looking so much more comfortable and stress-free these days.

8. auroraborealisfan says: Jun 13, 2013 2:40 PM

I have waited in cold MN lines to get into the stadium because I want to bring my “larger than a hand” purse in with me. I prefer to have my purse with me as there are a number of things that I consider essential to have with me at the game and it is worth it to me to stand in the freezing cold line in order to do it. I don’t want to buy a clear plastic bag with my favorite NFL logo on it in order to come to the already inconvenient and expensive game. Just let me carry in my darn purse!

9. daysend564 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

Every good criminal hides their stuff internally anyhow.

10. whitdog23 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:52 PM

poor jleeblitzburgh doesn’t understand she’s paying Direct TV AND NFL owners by watching from home. when someone explains it to her…BOOM (head explodes)

11. nanner12wojo says: Jun 13, 2013 2:52 PM

The bags make sense, but the banishment of seat cushions is short-sighted.

I have lower back problems and I’m young. I see elderly people at games all the time with seat cushions to lessen the pain on the lower back.

That needs to be re-thought.

We live a little too much in paranoia. Eventually we’ll all work from home with barricaded doors and grow our own food to survive.

12. durangokidii says: Jun 13, 2013 2:53 PM

Could you not use blankets and coats or cheeseheads to hide anything you could hide with a bag? Or if you’re a really serious terrorist, in parts of your body? Or bribe one of the minimum wage security workers? Or smuggle it in with a vendor? Or do one of countless other things?

Preventing us from having bags as a bulwark against terrorism makes about as much sense as preventing nail clippers on airplanes.

13. thegonz13 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:58 PM

So does that mean that fans won’t be able to bring paper bags to wear over their heads?

14. wikipediasaidso says: Jun 13, 2013 3:10 PM

Does the NFL think all fans park within easy walking distance of the gate and therefore don’t have to schlep all over carrying the assorted small items that fit in the ALREADY RESTRICTIVE allowable bags up until now? Now if I want a schlep-friendly bag (like, with a shoulder strap), I have to buy them specifically for going to NFL games?

What a pain in the you-know-where. And I thought they were trying to improve the in-stadium experience.

15. mgiang87 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:20 PM

The sick thing is that this won’t make anyone any safer. This reminds me of the stadiums that removed their trashcans after the Boston bombings. We’re sliding down a slippery slope of little rights and privileges being taken from us from all angles now. The fact is, a terrorist attack will likely happen at an NFL game one day, but to implement a rule like this doesn’t make us any safer. It is just an inconvenience for the fans.

16. Steeley McBeam says: Jun 13, 2013 3:24 PM

Its not a purse its a satchel

17. jimmyt says: Jun 13, 2013 3:24 PM

“Just wait until there’s a cheesehead bomb.”

Don’t know why but that just made me laugh hysterically while on a conference call when I thought I was on mute. Trying to explain now.

18. daysend564 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:24 PM

All those electronic devices (tablets, laptops, etc) out in the open to take advantage of the stadium mandated WiFi. Nope, not a single robbery will take place.

19. chrisnyg says: Jun 13, 2013 3:25 PM

Now what will the Jet fans wear on their heads?.

20. folkcrusader says: Jun 13, 2013 3:28 PM

Bags don’t make something unsafe. This is simply another money grab by not having to employ people to search them.

21. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 13, 2013 3:30 PM

What about feed bags?
    —Steeler Nation on behalf of its fans

22. beedubyatoo says: Jun 13, 2013 3:31 PM

New bag policy applies only to bags
    ———————–
    And in other news, Right turn only signs applies only to those who wish to turn right.

23. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 13, 2013 4:00 PM

Not one Saints joke… I’m disappointed.

24. thingamajig says: Jun 13, 2013 4:05 PM

Just as long as the nerds get their stadium Wi Fi everything will be fine.

25. petedutcherjr says: Jun 13, 2013 4:28 PM

What if it rains? A lot of items are going to have to fit in one clear bag. Such as tablets, cameras, and such.

Ironically, there has never been a terrorist attempt at a football game. Why? Because even terrorists love football!

26. eustus says: Jun 13, 2013 4:29 PM

What a farce… Bags don’t kill people – people kill people.

27. bookofelisha10 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:40 PM

i dont think this is to bad a rule. had a bomb been carried in a bag or backpack and exploded people would of rioted stadiums didnt do enough to prevent this at a local event..i consider this getting it before something happens.. why do people need to carry bags full of stuff you cant just leave in your car, bus or home its not an airplane you go to enjoy a 2-3hour game and leave you dont need 20 carry on items..
    and get souvineers before you leave or that you dont mind holding onto or can wear..boom roasted (no pun intended)

28. rcali says: Jun 13, 2013 4:40 PM

And the terrorists have won gain. We are not far from having to take our shoes off and sending them through an x-ray machine before entering the stadium.

29. JSpicoli says: Jun 13, 2013 4:41 PM

Another treatment aimed at the symptom and not the real problem.

We need to eliminate the soccer mom philosphy and it’s influence.

30. bookofelisha10 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:42 PM

i dont think this is to bad a rule. had a bomb been carried in a bag or backpack and exploded, people would of rioted stadiums saying they didnt do enough to prevent terrorism, esp with the way things are going in the world a tthis moment this move should be applauded…i consider this prevention..

why do people need to carry bags full of stuff you cant just leave in your car, bus or home its not an airplane ride, your not going to another country. you go to enjoy a 2-3hour game and leave you dont need carry on bags..

boom roasted (no pun intended)

31. wheels579 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:15 PM

PFT should ask the NFL what the new bag policy means for disabled fans who use them to carry essential supplies. It may be inconvenient for others to carry things like blankets, coats & luxury items, but it is quite another issue for those who deserve some level of privacy for medical items. I imagine disabled fans who are also PFT readers would appreciate any light you could shed on this matter.

32. northstarnic says: Jun 13, 2013 6:59 PM

Couldn’t care less. I sit on the couch or a barstool to watch football.

33. sea3369 says: Jun 13, 2013 7:54 PM

So what are we supposed to put NFL purchased items at the proshop in? I purposely bring an empty backpack to put the items I buy at the game in? If the NFL would rather me buy from a company from china before the game then this new bag rule is the perfect way to make that happen.. They are cutting their own throats with this rule

34. eatitfanboy says: Jun 13, 2013 8:52 PM

Same exact point as before. No change.

Based upon the amount of Americans killed by terrorists in the last 30 years, you have a .000001 chance of dying in an attack. There are at least, and I am sure I am underestimating this number, 10,000-15,000 things more likely to kill you.

If they banned alcohol sales in the stadium and all alcohol consumption in the parking lot, it would be 1,000 times more likely to save your life and everyone would scream bloody murder.

All you have to in this country is yell “terrorist!!” in this country and people will let you do whatever you want to them.

By the way, with the type of localized explosive devices typically used by terrorists, they could kill just as many people in the parking lot as they could in the stadium.

So your stupid, intrusive, ridiculous policy isn’t keeping anyone safe anyway.

35. beelicker says: Jun 13, 2013 9:06 PM

@ jimmyt – that will teach you to be trying to do business while reading PFT

36. jeannedunne says: Jun 13, 2013 9:49 PM

What about diaper bags (yes people do bring children)? Haven’t explosives been put in shoes? Will the NFL sell special logo flip flops at the door? How much will those cost? Wouldn’t that make a long line? The statement that says the NFL wishes you would only bring your wallet says it all!!

37. gtodriver says: Jun 14, 2013 8:48 AM

auroraborealisfan says:

“I have waited in cold MN lines to get into the stadium because I want to bring my “larger than a hand” purse in with me. I prefer to have my purse with me as there are a number of things that I consider essential to have with me at the game and it is worth it to me to stand in the freezing cold line in order to do it.”

Just what is so “essential” in your purse that you can’t live without it for 3 hours.

You’re going to a football game, not a fashion show…

My wife and I are Vikings season ticket holders and she never brings in a purse.

I don’t understand the uproar over not being able to bring a “bag” full of “stuff” into a stadium.

It’s a football game – how much “stuff” do you need for 3 hours?

38. sea3369 says: Jun 14, 2013 10:43 AM

Point is if you go to one of the many proshops prior to the game (like I do, not anymore I guess) you wont be able to buy a coat or a football or a hoodie, because it wont fit in a ziplock baggie, the nfl will hurt shop owners, with this new policy.. Not to mention the women who will now have to carry there emergency tampons and pads in a ziplock baggie for the world to see.. Poor policy, should be reveiwed and re thought…

39. CKL says: Jun 14, 2013 12:17 PM

petedutcherjr says:
    Jun 13, 2013 4:28 PM
    What if it rains?
    ________________________________
    Yeah really…some of us are old enough to remember when they allowed…GASP…ACTUAL UMBRELLAS into the stadium. What a concept.

To the person who asked about handicapped patrons. Here’s your answer:

They will allow leeway for handicapped patrons’ needed items, as they should. Then the terrorists will dress up as handicapped people and get proper (fake) documentation and do what they do that way instead. This is similar to putting a burglar alarm on your house(but way less effective), It might save you, but if someone really wants in, they’ll get in.

There’s a difference between reasonable precautions and helicopter parent like obsessiveness. The NFL has crossed the line here.