Suggs shows up subdued, and in better shape

Terrell Suggs AP

The Ravens spent the offseason shedding old standbys from the defense.

Perhaps not coincidentally, outside linebacker Terrell Suggs dropped some pounds, and some of his trademark bravado.

Suggs was described as “subdued,” during his talk with reporter after yesterday’s Ravens minicamp, perhaps an indication he’s stepping into more of a leadership role after the departures of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

He’s also coming off an injury marred season, and said he’s thankful to be up and running this spring.

This is really flattering to me that I get to do this this year,” Suggs said, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “I had the unfortunate feeling of sitting minicamp out last year. It didn’t feel too good. I’m just really excited that I get to practice with my team, and I don’t have to sit out the first six weeks and rehab. I’m just really focusing on that.

“I told my team last year [that] I kind of took them for granted, that we got to work together. It’s just really flattering I get to go out there and practice with the guys in June.”

He’s now the longest-tenured member of the Ravens defense, and has apparently come to camp in better shape. Asked about the weight he’s dropped, Suggs would only say “I’m light.”

That’s a good sign, a year removed from an Achilles tear that cost him much of the year and kept him from looking like his explosive self when he did return.

“Anybody could tell that I really wasn’t the player that I’ve [been] known to be around here,” he said. “A part of that was the Achilles, and the other part was just small things like the diet. So, I had to make some changes this offseason to be the best player that I could be for my time. . . .

“The goal was to train so that you can be the best player for your team, for your organization and for a city that’s given you so much. I would have to say that the organization and the fans have really been patient with me, especially coming off an injury. So I really wanted to show them the player that I really am.”

That’s a departure from the brash, swaggering Suggs of the past. But in an offseason when the Ravens remade his side of the ball, it might be exactly what both he and the team needs.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Suggs shows up subdued, and in better shape”
  1. letemplay says: Jun 13, 2013 9:22 AM

Dude looks focused. It’s going to be fun watching him play with Dumervil on the other side.

2. Steeley McBeam says: Jun 13, 2013 9:22 AM

This team went from having the best leader of all time to Joe Flacco and Terrell Suggs. Good luck with that…

3. jtbsteeler says: Jun 13, 2013 9:28 AM

Max Starks clobbered him the last two seasons.

4. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 13, 2013 9:34 AM

I’m sure that’s not the last time we’ll see the words “Suggs” and “subdued” in the same headline.

5. logicailvoicesays says: Jun 13, 2013 9:42 AM

It’s normal for the number two team in Maryland to need an overrated and injured linebacker to save their team. The Ravens are always chasing the Redskins but never get close.

6. Florio's Lawyer says: Jun 13, 2013 9:47 AM

He needs to make up a new t-shirt…
    “..Where’d everybody go…?”

7. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 13, 2013 9:50 AM

man beast, devourer of tackles

8. EJ says: Jun 13, 2013 9:55 AM

The Ravens never should have let Reed go, he was a big part of that Defense. Suggs doesn’t have an eighth of Ray Lewis’ leadership. I’m not sure we will be seeing them back at the top this year.

9. monsterscream says: Jun 13, 2013 9:58 AM

Suggs, Ngata, Dumerville, Canty rushing the passer….

Webb, Smith, Graham (remember him Denver?) at the corner/nickel….

Bring on Peyton Manning…

10. fdugrad says: Jun 13, 2013 10:17 AM

Suggs, a LEADER?! Um…NO WAY!

11. steelerstrong says: Jun 13, 2013 10:31 AM

12. Steeley McBeam says: Jun 13, 2013 10:34 AM

Sorry monsterscream but that lineup isnt really scaring anyone anymore…

13. tinbender2000 says: Jun 13, 2013 10:39 AM

LOL at logical voice. How’s things going in that alternate universe?
    #GHTR (God Hates The Redskins)

14. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 13, 2013 11:01 AM

Look at the HUGE number of scaredy cat Steelers fans on here trying to act tough! Look on the bright side. This is the year when Roethlisbooger finally loses his starting job and someone else can step up. Maybe Colbert will realize see that it’s pointless to keep applying bandaids on this broken down team.

15. classyjacklambert says: Jun 13, 2013 11:27 AM

He looks less orc-like than usual and more like Omar from the wire now. He looks scared.

16. scoobies05 says: Jun 13, 2013 11:31 AM

funny thing is the ravens have won 2 sbs since the skins have done anything. congrats on the regular season win. ravens got a ring. as far as the ravens pass rush, the steelers should be worried. improved d line vs an o line thats is porous at best. sizzle and doom will own that swiss cheese line

17. krispyone says: Jun 13, 2013 11:52 AM

Joemontanaflacco says:
    Jun 13, 2013 11:01 AM

Says the guy that comes on to EVERY Steelers thread, no matter what the story is about, and TRIES to act tough and knowledgable. What a hypocrite!!!

18. jtbsteeler says: Jun 13, 2013 12:33 PM

The Ravens will start the season 2-4 and be out of the playoffs before midway of the season.

19. scoobies05 says: Jun 13, 2013 12:47 PM

i think last season jb also predicted steelers would win the super bowl, ravens would miss the playoffs, not beat indy, denver, new england, or san fran. if you have a day job keep it because you suck at predicting sports

20. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 13, 2013 2:29 PM

My great fear is that the Steelers coaching staff will pay too much attention to the irrational fan base and keep playing all their tired deadwood. I hate to see players get hurt, even on opposing teams. Breaks my heart.

21. jacktheraven says: Jun 13, 2013 5:10 PM

LogicalVoice cheers for the “best” team in MD while the redskin potatoes train in Richmond VA

22. jacktheraven says: Jun 13, 2013 5:11 PM

jbsteeler hopes & prays his predictions every year. Good luck with that.

23. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:14 PM

Suggs is going to be a beast this year. And Dumervil is going to reap the rewards. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a DPOY player so focused. As long as offensive players don’t go for Haloti’s knees, Ravens defense is going to be incredible. Trench warfare is what gets it done. And the Ravens are going to be prepared as any team in the NFL. On offense and defense. Have to if you want to repeat.

24. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:18 PM

He needs to make up a new t-shirt…
    “..Where’d everybody go…?” That would right up there with his “Pittsburgh sucks” shirt. Very fitting for all of the teams that actually think they have a shot at winning the Superbowl.

25. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:22 PM

Last year was the beginning of the “steroid injury” stretch for him. He will never be the same player… Don’t confuse Suggs with a Steelers or 49ers player. He’ll always be a Raven.

26. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:25 PM

I said to Seahawks fans that I like smack talking when players back it up. (Hank Sherman) Suggs is our smack talker. I don’t know what it is about him I see. But I think there will be less smack talk(maybe) and more business.

27. alldonesmith says: Jun 14, 2013 2:28 AM

As much as I like Terrell Suggs, I don’t think he knows what the word “flattering” means. At all.