Running back Willis McGahee won’t be playing for the Broncos in 2013, but he plans on playing for someone.
McGahee spoke with Josina Anderson of ESPN after getting released on Thursday and said that he “knew it was going to happen” because the Broncos are looking to get younger in the backfield. McGahee also said he has no physical restrictions after last year’s season-ending knee injury when discussing his desire to sign on with another team for the 2013 season.
“I will keep playing. I don’t feel like I have to go out there and say what I have left. I know what I can do. I’m not worried about it. Once I get the opportunity, it will be all good,” McGahee said. “There are a lot of places I wouldn’t mind playing. You got Miami, Dallas, Green Bay, San Diego, Oakland. That’s not necessarily my order of preference, though. All of those teams I mentioned I would go to with no problems.”
The Packers seem like a long shot and the Chargers have Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown to go with the “average” Ryan Mathews, but the other teams could all be possibilities for McGahee. That market should start shaping up shortly and it wouldn’t be surprising to see McGahee land with another team before the start of training camp this summer.
A return to the Broncos can probably be ruled out, however. McGahee said the team never approached him about taking a pay cut from his $2.5 million base salary, which provides further confirmation that they’re comfortable rolling with Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball.