Willis McGahee says he’s healthy, plans to play in 2013

Denver Broncos v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

Running back Willis McGahee won’t be playing for the Broncos in 2013, but he plans on playing for someone.

McGahee spoke with Josina Anderson of ESPN after getting released on Thursday and said that he “knew it was going to happen” because the Broncos are looking to get younger in the backfield. McGahee also said he has no physical restrictions after last year’s season-ending knee injury when discussing his desire to sign on with another team for the 2013 season.

“I will keep playing. I don’t feel like I have to go out there and say what I have left. I know what I can do. I’m not worried about it. Once I get the opportunity, it will be all good,” McGahee said. “There are a lot of places I wouldn’t mind playing. You got Miami, Dallas, Green Bay, San Diego, Oakland. That’s not necessarily my order of preference, though. All of those teams I mentioned I would go to with no problems.”

The Packers seem like a long shot and the Chargers have Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown to go with the “averageRyan Mathews, but the other teams could all be possibilities for McGahee. That market should start shaping up shortly and it wouldn’t be surprising to see McGahee land with another team before the start of training camp this summer.

A return to the Broncos can probably be ruled out, however. McGahee said the team never approached him about taking a pay cut from his $2.5 million base salary, which provides further confirmation that they’re comfortable rolling with Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Willis McGahee says he’s healthy, plans to play in 2013”
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 13, 2013 12:44 PM

Apparently Willis hasn’t heard about the two Hall of Fame running backs the Packers drafted this year. Is it possible he isn’t reading all the comments on PFT?

2. gtorlone says: Jun 13, 2013 1:05 PM

Wait wait – the guy who just got released and has no job is talking about places he would go to “with no problems”. Perhaps it’s time to look in the mirror and say, “maybe it’s me.”

3. @HowdyDoobie says: Jun 13, 2013 1:19 PM

Miami would be a good fit for him. They need to vet to go with all of the young players.

4. jbaxt says: Jun 13, 2013 1:26 PM

He listed a few teams but would take any job he could get. If you’re unemployed you go where they need you, not where you want.

5. bchapman2011 says: Jun 13, 2013 1:38 PM

@HowdyDoobie says:
    Jun 13, 2013 1:19 PM

____________________________________

Um No….Miami already has a crowded backfield. If Mike Gillislee pans out Daniel Thomas is going to have a hard time making this team.

6. uwsptke says: Jun 13, 2013 1:57 PM

There’s a good chance if he went to Dallas that he and Murray would be healthy for 16 games. It just might not be the same 16.

7. deliveredbysherpa says: Jun 13, 2013 2:02 PM

If you were a former Patriot, you could call the Jaguars.

8. sanityinsd says: Jun 13, 2013 2:03 PM

I would rather see McGahee wearing a Bolt than Ronnie Brown. At least there would be the threat of gaining more than 3 yards on any given carry and he well-versed at blocking as well.

9. radrntn says: Jun 13, 2013 2:08 PM

I have no problem with him competing for a spot on the roster with the raiders. If he earns a spot , so be it.

10. finsguy says: Jun 13, 2013 2:13 PM

I hope we (Miami) take a look at him. I think if he is anywhere near where he was pre-injury he would be a nice pick up.

11. emoney826 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:16 PM

@Rick Spielman,
    He mentioned the Packers because he wants a shot at playing with a contender. He knows he wouldn’t be a starter, unlike some of the other names he threw out there. He knows neither are possibilities if he goes to the Vikings.

12. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 13, 2013 2:29 PM

He’s hurt or not playing at the same level. They don’t care how old he is. It’s a performance league and he can’t perform in the eyes of Elway.

13. spellingcops says: Jun 13, 2013 2:32 PM

@ emoney826:
    If he were wanting to play for a contender, he definitely would not have mentioned the Raiders. That’s where nfl careers go to die.

14. mblue24 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM

He was good for Denver. It’s to bad. A good RB

15. bigdawg24 says: Jun 13, 2013 2:56 PM

Come on down i70 to Kansas City. Jamal Charles is very fragile, we need him.

16. jahyde1321 says: Jun 13, 2013 3:01 PM

As far as Miami goes — I think Daniel Thomas was on the out looking in already. Miami would be smart to dump Thomas and get a reliable veteran to replace him. Bring McGahee back to South Florida!

17. cocheese000 says: Jun 13, 2013 4:01 PM

I met him at a restaurant a couple years ago. What a solid and strong dude. Couldn’t imagine trying to tackle him.

18. gnarlswoodson says: Jun 13, 2013 4:23 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 13, 2013 12:44 PM

———————————————————-

Its hilarious that that was the first comment

19. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Jun 13, 2013 4:29 PM

If he were a Scarlet Knight, or a NY Jet, he’d be a Patriot by now…

20. annes22 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:10 PM

I hope he comes to the Dolphins. He’s getting old
    but he certainly could replace Daniel Thomas, he sucks.

21. dirtysouthironmen says: Jun 13, 2013 5:14 PM

So I heard MJD is having legal troubles!

22. momar3000 says: Jun 13, 2013 5:14 PM

He would start on San Diego or Miami.

Everyone every season sells this guy short. Never really got a good chance to be the #1 guy except buffalo.

He was awesome for my Ravens.

23. bordner says: Jun 13, 2013 6:10 PM

gnarlswoodson says:
    Jun 13, 2013 4:23 PM
    Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 13, 2013 12:44 PM

———————————————————-

Its hilarious that that was the first comment

—————————————

Hilarious and amazing. He must either work for PFT or just be unemployed to be able to post and post often on every Packer article that is written. The Packers are definitely his passion!

24. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 13, 2013 6:13 PM

Well, he and Peterson have about the same amount left in the tank.

He should go to Minny because then they’d own the market on running backs that won’t last more than two more years.

25. thefiesty1 says: Jun 13, 2013 7:01 PM

The CowBabies don’t have a running game. JJ will bite.

26. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 13, 2013 8:55 PM

Oh no, A running back that plays as hard as any. You can’t put a price tag on commitment. There has to be a team on the borderline that needs a running game. Christ, the Patriots signed Timmy Tebow.

27. vfan76 says: Jun 13, 2013 10:58 PM

It’s obvious where he’s going, only the Raiders would sign a washed up injury prone RB.

28. icanspeel says: Jun 14, 2013 4:49 PM

Chargers may have room for him when Ryan Mathews gets hurt early on.

29. joeytorontosucks says: Jun 15, 2013 9:50 AM

Can’t believe all the hate on Daniel Thomas, I know Miami’s second round draft picks never pan out but I think it’s still a little premature for calling him out the door.