Cruz likely will show up by August 6

victor-cruz Getty Images

While it’s still possible that Giants receiver Victor Cruz will skip training camp and uncur daily fines of $30,000 despite signing his restricted free agency tender, it’s highly unlikely that he’ll hold out beyond August 6.

Because Cruz is now under contract, failing to show up at least 30 days before the regular-season opener on September 5 between the Ravens and Broncos means that Cruz would lose a year of credit toward free agency.  Which, in Cruz’s case, means he wouldn’t be a free agent in March 2014.

Multiple players have ignored the deadline in recent years.  In 2011, Titans running back Chris Johnson stayed out beyond the 30-day deadline, even though he had only three years of NFL service.  Ditto for former Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in 2010.  Both players, however, still had two years remaining under their rookie contracts, so they wouldn’t have been free agents the following March even if they’d shown up more than 30 days before the first game of the regular season.

For Cruz, it’s a much simpler proposition, now that he’s under contract.  If he shows by August 6, he’ll be a free agent in March 2014.  If he doesn’t, the Giants will be able to use the restricted free agency tender again.

Which means that, for the same reasons he took the money by signing the RFA tender today, he’ll show up no later than August 6.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Cruz likely will show up by August 6”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 14, 2013 3:57 PM

These important dates are lost on many fellow Giants fans who are acting like this saga is over.

I do hope that they pound out a long-term deal, but there will only be a six-week period to get that done. They haven’t made much progress in six MONTHS, so we will just have to stay tuned.

2. jam111632013 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:01 PM

shutup and play the game. you can go flip burgers for $7.50 hr.

3. ss376 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:06 PM

Good sign. Presumably he will show up and they’ll continue to negotiate. In the end, he will end up getting somewhere around $8M/year.

4. greglloydrules says: Jun 14, 2013 4:12 PM

Man if I miss a days work, that’s $150 I don’t get. You miss a day and it’s $30,000 you don’t get. See how lucky you are? Grow up and show up. It’s not the Victor Cruz Giants. And just like myself, you are easily replaceable.

5. peytonsneckl8 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:17 PM

HTTR

6. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:18 PM

It’s an even larger gamble now for Vic that there is only about a six week window to get a long-term deal done. I doubt they’ll do it during the season, because at that point, they’ll resign themselves to moving on to Randle and elevating Murphy to the slot, while letting Vic walk.

7. seaeagle707 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:39 PM

He’s just asking for trouble, if his play this season isn’t stellar beyond imagination. If Eli has a bad year, or if any of a thousand variables work against Big Blue in any way, they could make him look rather average (even if his actual play is very good). Then, he’ll get to free agency with stats that won’t tell of him being Superman, and things will go down hill from there.

I don’t wish that on him, but such scenarios have played out before. Better, IMHO to show up for camp, do the work, get himself truly ready, and possibly ADD to his stats sheet during the year.

8. zenrooster says: Jun 14, 2013 4:40 PM

@greglloydrules

Consider the fact he worked his tail off and had much more to overcome than you. Just consider it for a second, rather than clinging to the “I’m unlucky” theory

9. justintuckrule says: Jun 14, 2013 4:43 PM

He shouldn’t have signed the tender. These players don’t have a backbone anymore. Dude should have waited until week 10 then signed whatever tender there was. There will be no deal and Cruz will be forced to play. If I’m him and make it through unscathed, I make it known to the Mara that if I’m not signed to a long term deal, I’m signing in 2014 with the Skins for less.

10. justintuckrule says: Jun 14, 2013 4:47 PM

greglloydrules says:
    Jun 14, 2013 4:12 PM
    ——
    Yeah…you’re just like Victor Cruz. Anyone can do your job stocking shelves. Cruz is one of the best wide receivers in the universe’s preeminent football league. Take your whining, “I only make $150 a day” self to another site. That “argument” is for simpletons.

11. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 14, 2013 5:14 PM

On the bright side, if he does hold out it will mean the television watching public won’t, at least for the short term, be exposed to those nauseating “salsa dancing” commercials with his mother. The worst of which is the one were they sit side by side on a bench, shoveling down canned gruel while spasmodically moving their feet to and fro!

12. greglloydrules says: Jun 14, 2013 5:15 PM

justintuckrule says:
    Jun 14, 2013 4:47 PM
    greglloydrules says:
    Jun 14, 2013 4:12 PM
    ——
    —–
    Yeah I make $150 a day working only 6hrs per day stocking shelves. Do the math (if you know how). Thats $30 per hour before taxes moron. Excuse me, I have some Cisco Servers that need resetting.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 14, 2013 5:19 PM

Man, if I had a dollar for each time Average Joes tried to compare their $13/Hour jobs to professional athletes’ justified wages, I’d be as rich as Tiger Woods.

14. bigblue2936 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:03 PM

Franchise him next year for 12 million. Its like he signed a 2 year 15 million deal.
    Giants win out and he risk injury playing on 1 year deals.
    Or Cruz smartens up and sign the 4 year deal at 8 million per and plays knowing if he gets hurt he still gets paid.

15. spedman24 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:06 PM

If this guy shows up he is out of his mind. One name: Steve Smith.

16. greglloydrules says: Jun 14, 2013 7:14 PM

WOW. You guys are idiots. Im not comparing myself to Cruz or any pro athlete. All i’m saying is that these players have to consider themselves lucky to play the sport they love everyday. I make enough money to be happy and comfortable, because i too had to sacrifice and overcome. Just cause hes a pro athlete doesnt mean he’s worked harder either. Morons

17. inthearex says: Jun 14, 2013 7:59 PM

Hail to your mothers bedroom. Which I live in also.

18. kev86 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:45 PM

It is pretty crazy how these things drag out with all the dates set, etc. Giants have always had the leverage. I think could get more elsewhere but knows Eli and NYG could make him more.in long run.

19. spedman24 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:47 PM

Giants are an absolute circus when it comes to contracts, they don’t want to spend anything…very cheap franchise. The same franchise that used PSL money to build their training “facility” (yea the brick building on rt3 smaller than my local library) in the middle of a parking lot…lol. The giants make the Wilpons look like the Steinbrenners.

20. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 14, 2013 11:16 PM

This could turn into Cruz overplaying his hand. Cruz is a slot receiver star because he’s a local surprise story playing in NY. His marketability falls off a cliff under any other circumstances and everyone in the room knows it with the only possible exception of Victor.

21. Savage Lizard says: Jun 15, 2013 2:46 AM

Can we be done with the stupid salsa dance. Cute once or twice, now just tired and lame.

22. rahavort says: Jun 17, 2013 11:40 AM

I hope he spends all of his time learning a new touchdown celebration, because the salsa is pretty stupid and old now.

23. cantgetenoughwp says: Jun 18, 2013 10:42 AM

justintuckrule says:

“Cruz is one of the best wide receivers in the universe’s preeminent football league.”

Sure, as long as Nicks is lined up as the # 1 WO with Eli throwing to him. Cruz IS NOT a #1 WO at this point in his career. WRs like Brandon Marshall can go to a place like Miami and put up good numbers. Not sure I can say that about Cruz right now.