DeAngelo Hall was close to taking a year off

DeAngelo Hall, Jordan Pugh AP

Having already established that being overpaid once gave him a certain liberty, DeAngelo Hall wasn’t sure he wanted to keep playing football.

The Redskins cornerback said that after being cut this offseason, he nearly decided to take the year off, before re-signing with them at a reduced rate.

I contemplated not playing this year, to be honest,” Hall said, via Mark Maske of the Washington Post. “I felt like I could do some things off the field that would have been just as lucrative as coming to play. So I really had to sit back and just examine the situation, see if I did feel like I could do it again. And I felt like I could.

“I felt like the coaches are going to do a good job of putting me in position to be successful, and that’s all you can ask for.”

Hall came back for a one-year deal worth $1.25 million plus incentives, and the fact no one was beating down his door to give him more played a part.

“We had a little bit of interest, but not as much as I initially thought it was going to be,” Hall said. “And when I saw kind of who was interested, my first thought was to try to get back here. That was my number one priority. That was the reason we waited so long. We wanted the Redskins [to] explore all their avenues first and if the opportunity came to come back, we definitely wanted to be part of it.”

Actually, it sounds like he didn’t want to play for bad teams for the minimum, so he decided to take slightly more to hang around D.C.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
33 Responses to “DeAngelo Hall was close to taking a year off”
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 14, 2013 4:30 PM

There are some things he could do off the field that would have made him $1.25 million? Were any of them legal?

2. dstep24 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:31 PM

Too bad he decided to come back. This guy is just bad for football.

3. dstep24 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:33 PM

Nothing worse than a dirty player who can’t play football, running around and starting fights with everyone.

4. kerryc21realty says: Jun 14, 2013 4:33 PM

Glad he stayed with the skins HTTR

5. jsrdc says: Jun 14, 2013 4:36 PM

Whether he was on the field or not, Hall took off the 2012 season anyway. 2 picks and 35 tackles in 10 games? Seriously? You are over the Hill, Hall.

“I felt like I could do some things off the field that would have been just as lucrative as coming to play”.
    Really? Yet you came back and signed for a lesser amount after you were cut. Obviously the off the field things didn’t pan out.

Stick to your day job even though you don’t do it very well, and you certainly don’t do it with class. Yet another example of an underperforming DB who thinks he is better and worth more than he actually is. Retiring would be an improvement for the 4skin secondary……

6. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:39 PM

I thought he took last year off.

7. buddybowl69 says: Jun 14, 2013 4:41 PM

I thought he has taken the last couple years off? Where’s he been?

8. samapoc says: Jun 14, 2013 4:41 PM

Please share your get rich quick plan with me, dee an jello.

9. nyfcat says: Jun 14, 2013 4:43 PM

Idiot. Overrated. Self-involved. Bigmouth. Overdrafted. Overpaid (thanks Al Davis).

All of these adjectives describe DeAngelo Hall.

10. getyourownname says: Jun 14, 2013 4:47 PM

What passion to win and overcome the inevitable disappointments.

11. rublestiltzkin says: Jun 14, 2013 4:51 PM

hmmmm……. I thought he just took the last couple of years off.

12. explosionsauce says: Jun 14, 2013 4:54 PM

Al Davis probably included him in his will because he had 98 speed in madden for awhile.

13. kenstabler says: Jun 14, 2013 4:54 PM

He took the first year off with the Raiders, he got TOASTED in man to man coverage more than any corner back in Raider history. The worst man to man corner to ever play the game.

14. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 14, 2013 5:03 PM

Hey logicalvoicesays…

Des Bryant is gonna roast DeAngelo Hall next year

There is a reason they cut Hall and resigned him for cheaper…

15. useurbrain101 says: Jun 14, 2013 5:07 PM

I wish he would.

16. 916takeyawallet420 says: Jun 14, 2013 5:08 PM

I thought this article was about 2008 when he played for the Raiders. 15 yards off the WR on a 3rd and 5. This guy is an idiot.

17. albertmn says: Jun 14, 2013 5:10 PM

Maybe he was going to hang with Titus Young, until Titus’ schedule filled up.

18. twilson962 says: Jun 14, 2013 5:18 PM

Well, he did take most of last year off too.

19. prmpft says: Jun 14, 2013 5:25 PM

but he changed his mind because he took LAST YEAR off! See how that worked out?

20. mdc21787 says: Jun 14, 2013 5:30 PM

you know what, d-hall is actually a good dude. i know everyone LOVES to hate him, and sure hes got a checkered past. but since hes been with the redskins hes gotten his act together. do your research and check out some interviews, his website, look into his charity events. the dude is a solid human being whos grown up a LOT since he got to washington. on the field can tend to be another story but pro football players are modern day gladiators and crossing the line just comes with the territory. end of the day, im proud d-hall plays for my team, i was stoked when he resigned with them and im lookin forward to him pickin romo a few more times this year.

21. chargerdillon says: Jun 14, 2013 5:55 PM

He already took a year off when he signed with the Raiders

22. duncanthecat says: Jun 14, 2013 6:13 PM

This guy has a knack for hitting the money bag right when it counts.

Still young, don’t bet against him having a big year and hitting the money bag right with a new lucrative contract next year.

The increased competition also can’t hurt.

Do or Die Time.

23. mssaintsfan76 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:23 PM

Be nice if the Saints would have picked him up however he isn’t a Dion Sander

24. mssaintsfan76 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:25 PM

You guys shouldn’t complain you got a good football player at a discounted rate

25. schmitty2 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:31 PM

He could make 1.25 mil off the field? He must have thought about going the Sam Hurd route

26. vertskate900 says: Jun 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Why does this guy always drop to his knees to celebrate? Seems like he has a lot of experience dropping to his knees…

27. peytonsneck18 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:17 PM

Him playing with the redskins, its the same as taking a year off, cause they arent going to win anything, horrible franchise, IRG3 fail

28. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 14, 2013 8:40 PM

I guess getting toasted on the regular is hard on the psyche. Poor DeAngelo..

29. mudhead123 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:40 PM

Thought he took last year off? Just wanted to add the same comment for the 20th time

30. jkaflagg says: Jun 14, 2013 8:48 PM

Glad he’s back….just wouldn’t seem right if MeAngelo was not around to explain what his coaches and teammates were doing wrong…..

31. aprilwalker2013 says: Jun 14, 2013 10:55 PM

WOW! Everyone loves to hate! To the person below that said “Dez gonna toast Hall”??!! Dez got it handed to him by said Hall both games last year so wouldn’t go around talking that crap! Everyone knows Hall plays big when he wants to!! Ok by me cause he found out last season how close he was with a team that’s going nowhere but up!! Haters keep hating!! We will be here! HTTR

32. aprilwalker2013 says: Jun 14, 2013 10:57 PM

Why didn’t Ole Dez bring it last year against Hall? Maybe cause he couldn’t?!

33. njraiderfan19 says: Jun 15, 2013 9:24 AM

….which would have been the second year off, after the half-season he phoned in with the Raiders. What a tool.