Dennis Allen: No matter what the experts say, I like this team

Cleveland Browns v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

The Raiders haven’t had a winning record in 10 years, and not many people think they will this year. But Raiders coach Dennis Allen isn’t interested in what many people think.

Allen said after the conclusion of minicamp that he’s aware that the Raiders aren’t viewed as contenders, but he disagrees with that assessment.

“I know there’s a lot of experts out there that might think differently, but I like this football team,” Allen said.

The “experts,” in Allen’s view, are focusing too much on last year’s 4-12 record and not enough on a successful offseason.

“I thought this was a good camp. I thought OTAs, I thought we improved. I thought we got better. I like this football team. I like their mentality. I like where we’re at. I like the way they’re working,” Allen said.

They’ll need a lot more work to convince the experts to like this team.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Dennis Allen: No matter what the experts say, I like this team”
  1. goraidersgospurs says: Jun 14, 2013 6:27 AM

Just Win Baby, it always goes back to that!!!

2. trevor123698 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:33 AM

they are finally resembling a football team but they are not there yet. matt flynn is at least a 50+% shot at being the answer at QB which has been lacking for years and years. DMC needs to stay healthy and same with d-moore

3. torturedraiderfan says: Jun 14, 2013 6:45 AM

Flying under the radar screen isn’t a bad thing. Let every other team think the Raiders are a push over……then go out and kick their a$$es on the field. No need to talk about it, just do it!!!

4. slick50ks says: Jun 14, 2013 6:59 AM

The experts are looking at the roster when deciding the future of this team, and by the looks of things the future aint very bright.

5. chalkruz1989 says: Jun 14, 2013 7:12 AM

I don’t listen to ‘experts’ anymore. Majority of the time these so called experts are incorrect.

The Oakland Raiders have prized themselves on being a flashy team for a long time and over the years it’s been more bumps than promise.

Dennis Allen seems like a no-nonsense type of guy which trickles down to the team. When a new coach comes in the transition sometimes takes two-three seasons.

Now he has his pieces in there and it should be interesting to see what type of performance they will bring week-in and week-out.

Darren McFadden is the prized piece here and with one year left on his deal I am prepared to see a man run with reckless abandon with hopes of landing a big payday.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 14, 2013 7:16 AM

Well I don’t really care what any of the “experts” say either. But if the Raiders followed this “expert’s” advice, then I think they would be in great shape since I personally think my advice is the best advice out there. If they did what I said over the last several years then they would have saved countless millions of dollars that they wouldn’t have blown on an assortment of players that proved to never be able to deliver a high-yield payoff.

So far I’m 10 for 10 in the last 10 seasons in outperforming them on my mock GM scorecard. I’m right here when they are ready for a consultant that can help them find a better way to manage their football operations. They can’t say I didn’t offer and they certainly can’t say that their ways are better than mine. But I’m a legit “expert”, and that’s the key difference that separates me from the rest of the posers out there.

Don’t knock it ’til you try it, or at least until you understand what “it” is! Good luck to the Raiders considering this season I’m again betting against them for the 11th season in a row. That’s not a good sign when you do not have the TSE seal of approval.

7. e5280 says: Jun 14, 2013 7:18 AM

Raider nation is so strong that.They have use tarps this year.
    I hope they suck for another 10 years!

8. raiderufan says: Jun 14, 2013 7:21 AM

You’d have to go back to 2005 to find a team the “experts” thought was a pre-season favorite that actually won it all….now I’m certainly not saying superbowl winners for this team or even really playoffs but I do know I’m not gonna listen to some “expert” tell me they’re the worst team in the league in June. It’s cliche as all hell but everyone is 0-0 right now and if it was easy to tell who’s gonna win it all or be better or anything of that nature then the league would be really boring.

9. dcapettini says: Jun 14, 2013 7:22 AM

We have examples of an overlooked QB bringing a dispirited team to greatness; Kurt Warner and Doug Williams e.g. But it doesn’t happen often and the odds are way against it in Oakland. Too many wasted draft picks. Too many big trades that were supposed to turn everything around, but only wasted even more draft picks. These guys need to start all over again and get the guys in the trenches that make QBs look good. Archie Manning may have been a great NFL QB, but the Saints did not have an OL or any receivers. He was wasted there.

10. stull60060 says: Jun 14, 2013 7:29 AM

Who are these experts Allen is referring to? If its the talking heads in the media no Allen they’re no experts. They are entertainers. They don’t know more than me or anyone else who watches football. They make statements to instigate a response positive or negative from their audience. They’re doing it to me right now as evidenced by my response to the article. They pontificate as if they are experts and what they say is fact but it is not. Enjoy the show because it is just a show.

11. spellingcops says: Jun 14, 2013 7:31 AM

Dead man walking.

12. bucs24 says: Jun 14, 2013 7:45 AM

Sure and when your 2-14 next year enjoy the unemployment line lol

13. racerx1225 says: Jun 14, 2013 7:59 AM

I think Macfadden is gonna kill it this year and play through any pain, its a contract year. If he stays healthy, it will be hard for anyone to beat them cause the defense is totally different and vastly improved. A killer running game from any of their backs means they’ll be hard to beat.

14. raidingtexas says: Jun 14, 2013 8:16 AM

Experts: The group that told everyone that Brady Quinn and Glenn Dorsey were can’t miss picks.

15. securb2013 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:17 AM

Is he bringing back Jamarcus Russell?

16. r8rnuck says: Jun 14, 2013 8:19 AM

at the end of the day, 31 out of the 32 teams are losers…just give me entertaining games and play hard (although one should assume that the two would not be mutually exclusive)…low expectations are to be expected when you go over a decade without winning

17. csdaddy7777 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:20 AM

Haters gonna Hate

18. 44mpo says: Jun 14, 2013 8:31 AM

Keep on hating haters.
    The Nation will rise again!

19. chargersdiehard says: Jun 14, 2013 8:41 AM

The raiders still have a team?

20. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 14, 2013 8:46 AM

Oh, you coached the Raiders, thats great, dont call us we will call you.

21. demolition510 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:51 AM

Experts are nothing but talking heads.

Reggie and DA are slowly revamping the team. It doesn’t happen overnight folks. This team will be competitive and is headed in the right direction. Give it some time

22. raiderlyfe510 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:10 AM

Note to Dennis Allen,

If the squad is as good as you think it is. Don’t broadcast it. Keep advertising this as a rebuilding year and sneak up on your opponents. Let the NFL find out the Raiders are contenders the hard way….on gameday.

23. edwinmoses says: Jun 14, 2013 9:13 AM

chalkruz1989 says:
    ——————————————————-
    I’m not so sure. The experts may be right the majority of the time. Albeit 51% of the time.

24. aldavis4president says: Jun 14, 2013 9:17 AM

Only thing I’m worried about on this WHOLE team is our QB situation. For the 1st time in YRS I feel confident in our DEFENSE!! We will have top 5LB core and with Hayden, branch, Jenkins, porter, and Cwood flying around the secondary, should be fun to watch!! Our Dline could be alil better, but I dnt See anbody running on us with the 2 behemoths in the middle. Pass rush was takin care of with SIO MOORE. It’s gna be young hungry talent battling it out every week, instead of old rich guys half assing it al the time! 3players to watch sio Moore LB, Conner Vernon WR, and Jared valdheer R/LT. #RAIDERNATION!!

25. enlightenedskeptic says: Jun 14, 2013 9:17 AM

I don’t put too much credibility into what “experts” say either.

Problem is, this team, which is my fav, probably won’t be very good.

That being said, Oak, KC and SD are all schizo teams so who knows. 2nd place in the division is up for grabs.

Go Raids!!!

26. mangy66 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:25 AM

This Raiders team has the makings of a team that could surprise this year. Other than news about Dennis Allen (who the layman fan doesn’t know), there has been very little news about the roster/gameplan/etc. outside of Oakland. They are very much under the radar, and that is a GREAT thing for them.

If a safety valve receiver emerges for Flynn (read Tight End), and Charles Woodson takes the helm of the defense, they could surprise some teams.

Everyone will say “Where did they come from?” when the Raiders surprise and hit the 10-6 mark this year. It COULD happen.

Unfortunately…as a Redskins fan, I see the different end of the spectrum. The Skins don’t fly under the radar, whether it’s RG3, or the name controversy that Flo-Ri-Duh (read Florio) seems to want to make his life mission. It’ll be hard for that team to repeat what they did last year during the regular season.

27. slick50ks says: Jun 14, 2013 9:30 AM

chalkruz1989 says:
    Jun 14, 2013 7:12 AM

———————

Sorry to ruin your whole day here, but apparently you’re about the only person in America that doesn’t know that Darren McFadden is a total bust. You’ll understand this more if and when you ever try to trade him. No sane person would give up more than a 7th for the guy.

Broken body = broken promises

28. tdk24 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:30 AM

Who cares what the “experts” think? It’s not like they’re stockholders.

29. majormeatcurtains says: Jun 14, 2013 9:32 AM

I hope they win a couple of games out of the gate. I’m tired of all the raider money drying up after two weeks of play. I shouldn’t have to buy my own lunches during the season, it’s just not right.

30. johnstone17 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:38 AM

chargers die hard: Do the chargers have a team?

31. r81ders says: Jun 14, 2013 9:38 AM

I like seen them scared hatters on here that bash the Raiders. What DA is saying now is that he gots real football players guys that want to play he got rid of all dead wait and got new talent that are football players.

32. johnstone17 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:39 AM

The “experts” concern themselves with the importance of the dismissal of the PR guy. I don’t know what the Raiders record will be, but I believe they are moving in the right direction.

33. brassknuckles47 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:43 AM

Is Denise Allen that high school cheerleader?

34. autumnwind999 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:44 AM

Improved in many areas, particularly LBs and secondary, but still no edge rusher, the loss of Desmond Bryant and — as my fellow Raiders fans will soon find out — the STEEP drop-off from Carson Palmer to our current crop of QBs is going to bite us. BIGTIME.

35. atthemurph says: Jun 14, 2013 10:22 AM

Raiders will be better. Will they contend? We’ll see but the foundation is being laid by Reggie McKenzie. I think a team could do a while lot worse than having that guy as GM and it all starts at the top.

36. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Jun 14, 2013 10:31 AM

Well we been telling you people on various comments boards that It will be The Oakland Raiders that surprise everyone in 2013. Raiders will make the playoffs in 2013…
    By that time Go For Two Sports should be bigger than any website on the web.

37. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 14, 2013 10:38 AM

Pretty sure they’ll destroy the Steelers like they did last year. Can’t wait for that game!!!

38. 561bengal says: Jun 14, 2013 10:52 AM

Two years ago the experts said theBengals were the worst team before the season started. Thet made the playoffs. These experts rarely get it right. Oaklands not that bad of a team this year.

39. jamal1971 says: Jun 14, 2013 10:59 AM

If Dennis Allen likes this team,then the Raiders should be Super Bowl favorites,but I see this team still needing two more drafts to be good. They need a QB,WR and good defense,but most importantly,they need leaders to step up and show them how to win. Look I am a Bengals fan and I have seen the good times,bad times and good times again. I see how the Bengals built themselves through the draft and uncovering some undrafted free agents,the Bengals are a contender right now. I know one Raider fan who doesn’t think that,but I feel that the Raiders aren’t that far away from winning the AFC West. Just build through the draft and watch success come back to Raider Nation.

40. tinbender2000 says: Jun 14, 2013 11:01 AM

thestrategyexpert says: Jun 14, 2013 7:16 AM

Well I don’t really care what any of the “experts” say either. But if the Raiders followed this “expert’s” advice, then I think they would be in great shape since I personally think my advice is They can’t say I didn’t offer and they certainly can’t say that their ways are better than mine.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I think Al already tried a Ouija board :)

41. sportfreak1996 says: Jun 14, 2013 11:14 AM

Seems pretty clear to me that there’s about 90 Raider fans on here reading the comments — every pro-Raider comment has right around 90 Likes and every anti-Raider comment has right around 90 Dislikes.

42. joetoronto says: Jun 14, 2013 12:11 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Jun 14, 2013 7:16 AM

***********************************************
    Considering that I’ve never seen a member here get more things wrong and get more thumbs down than you, this is an amazing statement.

SMH.

43. godfther81 says: Jun 14, 2013 12:19 PM

Interesting that he uses they and their instead of we but honestly what do you expect him to say, Oh my goodness this is going to be a long year. Or wow if you thought last year’s team was bad wait til you see this one on the field.

44. radrntn says: Jun 14, 2013 12:34 PM

experts????? who is he talking about…I really haven’t heard any owners, GM, or head coach talk hate or make predictions about the raiders…

Is Allen is referring to guys who were fired and are unemployed out of the NFL because they were such “experts” ? Then I guess these unemployed NFL “experts” who must work at places like BSPN, etc… is who he is talking about….

so lets just get back to what we all already know…haters will hate, and the nation loves the jealous haters…bottom line- much rather be an under dog,and surprise, than a favorite and disappoint. GO RAIDERS!

45. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 14, 2013 12:43 PM

I thought Carson Palmer was going to lead them to the promised land?

46. thetwilightsown says: Jun 14, 2013 12:45 PM

Prrrrrretty sure the whole “experts” line was meant facetiously. Not surprised this was missed by certain experts.

47. jw619 says: Jun 14, 2013 1:32 PM

Hey chargersdiehard remind us again how many superbowls have the chargers won? The Raiders are rebuilding with new management, might take a few years to become a contender again, but the future is slot brighter in Oakland than in San Diego. You guys have supposedly had the pieces in place for years, but have done nothing with it…..

48. kenstabler says: Jun 14, 2013 1:50 PM

Addition by subtraction. Carson INT Palmer gone.
    Tommy offside Kelly, gone. Richard personal foul overrated Seymore, Gone. Darrius hands of stone Bay, gone. Rolando goes so slow Mclain, gone. Michael can’t cover my mother Huff, gone. Millions and millions of dollars from the cap, GONE!!!!

This team has nowhere to go but up.

49. vipod4ever says: Jun 14, 2013 3:07 PM

The core is being rebuilt, the problem they face (not unlike 10-12) other teams is a reliable franchise qb. The auditions start July 25, and my $$$ is on the Razorback kid.

50. realfootballfan says: Jun 14, 2013 3:58 PM

How do some of these dopes get jobs?

51. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 14, 2013 4:48 PM

tinbender2000:

Well if he did try a Ouija board then all the more reason for the new Mr. Davis to try my idea of a Logic board. Instead of going with a supernatural belief that players they like are actually value-adding players, he should try my objective-based analysis that only approves of guys who have a strong potential to offer an efficient reward when compared to the risk/liability profile that they bring.

Thanks for agreeing with me that they should do things the opposite way that they have been doing them to get results that are the opposite of consistent futility.

And your post made me chuckle so +1 for you! :)

52. corporate1raider says: Jun 19, 2013 4:53 PM

For all those Raider-haters out there who have been basking in the Raiders decade of woe … you have to ask yourself this: Why is it you relish so the Raiders being in the doldrums? I’ll answer for you, because you know what they were and what your team wasn’t/isn’t.

The Raiders are working hard and trying to get their house in order. They’ve dumped players, shed contracts, and this year we will get a feel for where they are going. Personally, and I try to be objective as possible, I think they were not as bad last year as their record. Why? They had tons of injuries. Still, they weren’t very good and that is the reality.

Haters: John Madden said it best, “The league (the NFL) is a better league when the Raiders are a good.”

That, my friends, is fact.