Fewell says Giants D can’t “cry over spilled milk”

Perry Fewell AP

The Giants were next-to-last in the league in total defense last year, and it took the Saints breaking the league record for charity to surpass them.

And then, instead of adding a lot of parts, the Giants lost some, moved others, and walk into the year uncertain if their best pass-rusher will be well.

So obviously, they’re feeling good right now.

There’s no time to cry over spilled milk,” defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “I’ve just tried to make sure that I get myself together and make sure that we get a good plan for our defensive football team, and just evaluate us each and every day to the best of my ability in order for us to improve.”

With the free agency loss of Osi Umenyiora and without knowing whether defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul will be back from back surgery by the opener, they’re moving Mathias Kiwanuka back to the line.

That leaves a brand new set of linebackers full of question marks, and a secondary that lost safety Kenny Phillips.

Fewell said he didn’t want to evaluate the defensive until they were in pads at training camp, but he was hopeful.

“I really like this unit,” Fewell said. “I think any time you lose talented players it’s always a blow to your team. But collectively we feel like we can be a good football team if we do this together. . . .

“I always have something to prove. I think we, as a football team, have something to prove. That’s why we love this game. Football is a challenge.”

Few have been more challenged this offseason than Fewell.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Fewell says Giants D can’t “cry over spilled milk””
  1. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 14, 2013 8:16 AM

It’ll be weird to see the Giants at the bottom of their division and missing the playoffs for the second straight year.

2. hedleykow says: Jun 14, 2013 8:28 AM

I didn’t realize the Giants defense was that bad last year, but my Cantor Gaming account believes it.

3. nfl fan says: Jun 14, 2013 8:29 AM

Time to deliver Perry, not impressed so far.

4. east96st says: Jun 14, 2013 9:25 AM

Total defense is a pointless stat. What counts is scoring. You can let a team compile big yardage as long as you keep them out of the endzone. After all, it’s who has the most points at the end of the game that decides the winner, not who has the most yardage. The Saints allowed 454 points. The Giants – 344. That means NO allowed 28.4 points a game where the Giants allowed 21.5. Which means the NO defense was #2 in the NFL in points allowed, whereas the Giants were #20. Not a great performance by the NY defense, granted, but considerably better than New Orleans.

5. riggz91 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:43 AM

Obviously it will be a huge blow if JPP isn’t “back” in time and ready to play. Flip-side if he is back and can play he could be dominate again since he played the whole year with a bad back. Remember Willie McGinnist said he came back from this same surgery in 6+ weeks. Also I love Osi, 2 time SB champ, but at this point in time Kiwi will definitely be a better DE then Osi and I’m glad he finally gets his chance to get back on the line.
    As much as I loved Kenny Phillips he was hurt all year, Stevie Brown made a ton of plays so it just made sense to let Phillips walk. Tuck needs to step it up, maybe he can’t bc he is too old, but he needs to play well for at least the beginning of the season so JPP can slowly get back into it. Cullen Jenkins huge addition, and Marvin Austin needs to really step up. Herzlich and Williams too, its the young guys time to shine. Throw in either Keith Rivers or Aaron Curry making a contribution, highly doubt both but maybe one. They still have the talent to compete, they have to be better on D then last year. Throw in a better running game with some younger lineman and gmen could easily win 10 games, especially since the schedule last yr was a murderers row of top teams. They should hold down the division this year.

6. szwhtsup123 says: Jun 14, 2013 10:49 AM

The only stat that means anything is wins and losses. The Giants always put a contending team on the field and bar any serious injuries, we should be looking at a playoff spot. We’ll certainly be wearing our colors and rooting for the GMEN!

7. bigbosscrispy says: Jun 14, 2013 10:55 AM

Keeping Fewell around is gonna cost the giants the season, and Tom coughing his job. When this guy came in from buffalo I was shocked, after 2 SB wins I was like ok maybe… But after last season I think it’s time to move on to another d coordinator. How can you run an effective d with no LB’s? And the nonsense with the 3 safety’s on the field is a gimmick D – shouldn’t be counted on as the main strategy…. Bill Cowher anyone??

8. nonetruerthanblue says: Jun 14, 2013 12:29 PM

Would they File 13 this joker already? He is a horrible DC. All he could do was laugh when RG3 was running all over his guys last year. Like I said, Joker.

9. phillyphannn83 says: Jun 14, 2013 12:56 PM

Not trying to troll but NYG could honestly finish last in the division this year…oh wait, nevermind, we still have Dallas! :-)

10. justintuckrule says: Jun 14, 2013 2:28 PM

phillyphannn83 says:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:56 PM
    ———–
    Despite all the comings and goings, we still have the one constant that guarantees us at least 8 wins and meaningful December games.

11. nygrwy says: Jun 15, 2013 5:52 PM

I am worried about this Giants squad. I think any down to earth fan feels the same way…..