Frank Gore tries to outrun Father Time

Gore AP

He has overcome a wide variety of injuries, both minor and serious.  But as the most memorable birthday card I’ve ever seen says, with a picture of the Grim Reaper on the cover, “You can run, but you cannot hide.”

Gore has been running for years, and he’s hiding in plain sight atop the 49ers depth chart.  Now 30, he’s even more conspicuous.

In an industry so heavily premised on confidence, Gore is embracing it.

I love it,” Gore said Thursday, via the Associated Press.  “I feel like every year it’s something with me.  I have to overcome everything, every year.  Now that I’m 30 I just have to keep working and training hard.”

Like many successful athletes, Gore will find motivation in the actual or perceived diss.  Installed at No. 32 on the inherently flawed NFLN players-only top 100 list, Gore has found a way to fashion it into a chip on his shoulder.

“They said he’s turning 30 and he might not have [any] more left,” Gore said. “I like that type of stuff. Whenever [the 49ers] let me get on the field, I’m going to go hard and prove everybody wrong again.”

Still, Gore only will be able to do that for so long.  For many football players, the spirit remains willing long after the flesh has rebelled.

For Gore, the team’s decision to draft Marcus Lattimore and basically give him a redshirt year means that, by the time Gore is 31, his time as a 49er could be over.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
9 Responses to “Frank Gore tries to outrun Father Time”
  1. greyhawk9 says: Jun 14, 2013 8:47 AM

i thought gore was finished a few years ago…but the guy keeps coming back ready to rock.

2. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 14, 2013 8:47 AM

Gore is a monster, would love to have him on the Colts!!!

3. 49faithful says: Jun 14, 2013 8:53 AM

Frank the Tank!!!

4. greenmeattruck says: Jun 14, 2013 9:01 AM

I’ve learned through many Fantasy Football drafts not to bet against this guy.

5. goldrush36 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:11 AM

Ultimate professional but he has lost a bit in his step. Fortunately even with that lost step he is still a top back. If anyone can beat father time it’s probably him, but if Lattimore is ready to go next year it will probably mark the end of Frank’s career as a niner

6. paythevig says: Jun 14, 2013 11:33 AM

The Inconvenient Truth! This man has been remarkable ever since he stepped onto the field. I only wish he was able to enjoy success earlier on in his career. 100% Heart; he really loves the game and is a very smart player. You never have to worry about his effort. I truly hope he plays out his career with San Fran, and hopefully has a few more solid years left in the tank.

With all due repect to the Willis’, Smith’s, Davis’ on the Team – Frank Gore is the Heart and Soul of the 49ers, and has literally carried them on his back since he became a starter.

One of his stories, he recalls people on the team were laughing and joking around after a loss to the cowboys. Gore broke down and started crying – wondering how his team mates could make light of losing a game that means so much to him.

When his playing days are all said and done, I hope he can come back to the 49ers and help coaching in some capacity.

Love this guy.

7. mrpolarbear99 says: Jun 14, 2013 12:49 PM

He also has a $6.5mil cap number for 2014. Tough to say how it will play out.

8. 49erstim says: Jun 14, 2013 1:52 PM

You have to love Frank Gore. Heart and Soul of the Red and Gold!

9. thefox61 says: Jun 16, 2013 12:09 AM

Seahawks fan here… Until shows he cannot get it done, let the man run!