Leslie Frazier hopeful that Greg Childs can return at camp

Greg Childs AP

When Vikings wide receiver Greg Childs tore the patellar tendon in each of his knees last year, his rookie season came to a painful end and many wondered if he’d be able to return to the NFL.

There’s a limited history of NFL players suffering similar injuries and no history of players returning to play in an NFL game after going down in that manner, which explains the doubts about Childs’ ability to return. He’s been rehabbing like mad, however, and was seen catching passes during OTAs this week, leading to questions about whether he might be able to resume a full workload. Coach Leslie Frazier is holding onto hope that it could happen early in training camp.

“I have my fingers crossed, hoping that that will happen,” Frazier said, via Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “I’m waiting on [head athletic trainer] Eric Sugarman and our medical staff to give us the green light. But that would be my hope. We’ll see what happens. I’m not sure what direction it will go. “

Childs also suffered a serious knee injury while at Arkansas, so caution should be paramount because the third time certainly won’t be charmed for the receiver’s chances of having a professional football career. It’s hard to imagine a significant contribution in 2013 from Childs, but any contribution would be a big improvement on the Vikings’ previous thought that  Childs may never play a meaningful down in the NFL.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Leslie Frazier hopeful that Greg Childs can return at camp”
  1. valhallavictory says: Jun 14, 2013 9:13 AM

Potential is there but those knee injuries are scary.

2. godofwine330 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:22 AM

Praying for this cat. Hope he makes it back.

3. wingsnwater says: Jun 14, 2013 9:33 AM

If Greg Childs had been a seasoned veteran when he blew out both knees, his current rehab regimen and progress would be an inspiration across the league.
    But he wasn’t, he was a rookie and everyone wrote him off completely…even I had doubts since its never been done in the NFL.

The kid has an absolute won’t-give-up attitude. From ARK, his first year decided to stay in cold ass MN all offseason his first year and rehab rather than work out at home.

When he first came to MN drafted in the 4th round, he said he was going to be the steal of the draft. I though…uh-oh…a diva….but he was tearing it up at camp before this making ridiculous catches. And now working as hard as AP in rehab? forget about doubting this kid.

I still think they stash him on PUP to give him extra time to rehab to start the year, but I am looking forward to one day soon watch his dream realized when he straps on the helmet and steps out on the field for the first time.

4. monkeyboymotors says: Jun 14, 2013 9:38 AM

Good luck Greg. You can do it!

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 14, 2013 9:40 AM

I predicted Childs would never play again, but it looks like I could be wrong. (I know, imagine that.) What a bonus if he can resume his career and eventually make a contribution. He dropped in the draft because of his injury history, not because of his talent.

6. maniccatastrophe says: Jun 14, 2013 9:48 AM

kid is a warrior. Hope he can realize his dream after all the hard work he has put in.

7. whatjusthapped says: Jun 14, 2013 9:56 AM

Frazier is hopeful that any of his WR’s will show up. Childs is a long long shot, Jennings spent more time on IR than in uniform last year, the Vikings are still waiting on Jerome Simpson and Patterson only played one semester of college football before the Viking’s took a flyer on him. Where’s Benard Berrinan when you really need him?

But here is the good news, it doesn’t make much of a difference if they all were healthy and ready to go when your Qb throws like a girl.

8. fwippel says: Jun 14, 2013 10:01 AM

Frazier knows what knee injuries can do to a career, as one ended his.

I sincerely hope Childs can be ready by training camp. He’s got great potential, and the size to be a strong presence in the Viking WR crop this year. Hope his hard work is rewarded.

9. wingsnwater says: Jun 14, 2013 10:22 AM

whatjusthapped: I realize you’re just trolling, but….Jennings never has been on IR. He played 10 games and was out 8 due to a previously mis-diagnosed sports hernia surgery (that is actually a groin tear). Happens to many players. Teams reluctant to send guys to surgery opting for rehab, but after operation and a couple weeks, Jennings was back to himself making plays for the Packers.
    Wasn’t his knees, shoulder or concussion which are signs of wearing down.

10. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 14, 2013 10:32 AM

If Ponder can make it all the way back from his season ending arm bruise, Childs surely ought to be able to come back from something this minor.

11. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 14, 2013 10:46 AM

I’m estimating hell start about the same number of games as Greg Jennings.

12. GenXJay says: Jun 14, 2013 11:13 AM

Well, the Vikings Organization is handling the situation in an honorable fashion. As always.
    They take great care of their players as much as possible unless the necessary cuts are to be made based on perfect mutual timing.

13. purpleguy says: Jun 14, 2013 11:25 AM

Other than doing everything he can to rehab, Childs tweets more pictures of his meals than any other player in the history of the NFL.

14. hurrayforyogapants says: Jun 14, 2013 11:32 AM

GenXJay

Congrats, I think you finally found your voice – Vikings version of Gerbshcmidt.

15. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 14, 2013 2:10 PM

Childs, please!

16. GenXJay says: Jun 14, 2013 2:13 PM

hoorayforyofapants,
    Thank you?

17. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 14, 2013 2:24 PM

Anyone else love how fans of a team with “Leslie” as a coach, “Adrian” and “Erin” as players, and best QB (and I use the term “best” loosely, as he was a huge failure) named “Fran,” make idiots of themselves trying to make Aaron Rodgers’ name into a girl’s name?

Your team is now, and always has been, comprised of girls.

I realize this has nothing to do with the article, and to the article I respond by saying “hang in there, Greg…playing for one of the worst franchises in any sport sucks enough, shame you’re injured to boot.”

18. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 14, 2013 4:25 PM

@tokyo -

Obviously, I have never made Rodgers’ name into a girl’s name, nor do I think it’s funny to suggest that a man is a girl. I’m sorry you can’t say the same.

Hey, why don’t you go up to Adrian and Erin and tell them they’re girls? That would be a fun time.

19. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Yes, they are probably really thin skinned and would try to beat me up. I’m sure they’ve both been called worse to their face thousands of times.

You don’t call men girls, but what about your alter ego, “paint thinner pack fan”?

20. smartestpackerfan says: Jun 14, 2013 4:48 PM

@Tokyo

I believe I live in the same trailer park as you. You live in the fancy one with a broken window right? Your one and only tooth is looking good though!

21. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 14, 2013 5:00 PM

Meh.

I’m sure any of the Packers you make fun of would love to hear you say it to their face as well.

Living in manhattan for 11 years, I still have yet to find a trailer park. Unless you’re speaking some code. My loft cost more than you’ll make in your life.

22. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 14, 2013 5:27 PM

When you start insulting me without knowing who I am, what I look like, or what kind of life I live, I know I’ve won; you have no argument other than wishful thinking.

Checkmate.

23. contra74 says: Jun 14, 2013 5:46 PM

@Tokyo – there are two grown men on the packers that go by BJ. You do the math.

24. vikescry1 says: Jun 14, 2013 6:09 PM

they’ll just give him the same p.e.d’s they gave to peterson, he’ll be back better than ever!

25. GenXJay says: Jun 14, 2013 7:14 PM

Is this about ShAaron &/or that Fatheaded blonde chick on the cheesehead defense?

26. smartestpackerfan says: Jun 14, 2013 8:44 PM

@Tokyo I know your “loft” (trailer) is $5

————-

Hypocrite, checkmate!

27. smartestpackerfan says: Jun 14, 2013 8:48 PM

Stop making fun of Aaron Rodgers just because he chokes in the postseason every year! It hurts our feelings! All we have in wisconsin is beer and the pack!

28. contra74 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:31 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Jun 14, 2013 5:00 PM

. My loft cost more than you’ll make in your life.
    —-/
    Highly doubtful. Especially since you’re bragging about a loft, what are you a peasant?

29. skolvikings58 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:32 PM

@tokyosandblaster ,
    You always say you live in a Loft in Manhattan, please oblige me and prove it. Until then you’re just another fat cheesehead ( one of thousands ) to me.

30. mackstrong2013 says: Jun 14, 2013 9:47 PM

Lol Tokyo holdin it down for all the Packer fans, you go girl. Seriously though you’re more pathetic than your teams D.

31. purplescar says: Jun 14, 2013 11:29 PM

@Tokyo … you live in Manhattan? This is how you entertain yourself????? You sir, are truly pathetic.

32. monkeyboymotors says: Jun 15, 2013 12:55 AM

Tokyo, when you start to believe the pull out couch in your moms one bedroom trailer is a loft in Manhattan. It’s time to dial it back on the paint thinner and go to spin dry.

33. prideonice says: Jun 15, 2013 4:18 AM

You live in a loft in Manhattan? OHHHHHH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

34. stellarperformance says: Jun 15, 2013 7:38 AM

contra74 says:
    Jun 14, 2013 5:46 PM
    @Tokyo – there are two grown men on the packers that go by BJ. You do the math.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hummm. “…..you do the math.”

Is the answer 2?

35. skolvikings58 says: Jun 15, 2013 5:41 PM

Still no word from Tokyo huh? Must be trying to construct a lifelike Loft in his mom’s basement still…