Ryan Broyles giving himself more time after second ACL

Ryan Broyles AP

What Ryan Broyles learned about his first ACL rehab has helped with the second.

But the mistakes he made the first time still paid off for him.

The Lions wide receiver gave himself more time after his second ACL tear last December, and said during this week’s minicamp he could tell the difference. He pushed his rehab from his first ACL tear in college, trying to run well enough to improve his draft stock. There were lingering problems through the season, however.

Last year I kind of beat my knee up trying to get ready for the combine,” Broyles said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “You’ve got to be smart about what you do and last year I had to hurry up before my quad was strong enough and before my hammy and my glut was strong enough, I was out there running so I could get ready for the pro day. I ran at the pro day 3½ months [after surgery]. I didn’t really start running here until about five months, so I think that extra month and a half really helped me out.”

Now, he’s hoping that time buys him training camp, rather than starting the year on the physically-unable-to-perform list. If he can do that, it would be a significant step in his becoming a part of a passing game that didn’t add much help this offseason.

“I think we saw some of [what he can do] late in the year last year before he got hurt,” quarterback Matthew Stafford said. “He’s a guy that can be a chain mover and at the same time can be explosive in there with some catch and run.”

The fact he didn’t try to show that explosiveness so soon this time through is likely a factor in that optimism.

But when thousands of dollars in signing bounus tied to draft spot were on the line, it’s also hard to fault Broyles for pushing it when he did.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Ryan Broyles giving himself more time after second ACL”
  1. dapell says: Jun 14, 2013 11:12 AM

So now we find out that Broyles was never quite right after his first ACL injury. This is the sort of thing good front offices know about a guy before they draft him (or why they don’t), and good training and medical staffs figure out about players they do draft.

Just another example that Martin Mayhew is barely better than the man he used to work for, Matt Millen. If the Lions aren’t a playoff team this year I hope Schwartz and Mayhew are gone. I’m sick of both. Mayhew doesn’t do squat with picks that aren’t in the top10. Schwartz runs an out-of-control team and then can’t figure out why there are so many penalties.

2. vikingsvoice says: Jun 14, 2013 11:33 AM

The talent is there. I’d put more blame on the medical staff, coaches, and player himself if he was exposed too early.

3. classactcalvin81 says: Jun 14, 2013 11:41 AM

I really hope this kid can stay healthy because with bush coming out of the backfield and Calvin stretching the field Broyles could settle right into the spot he plays best and no doubt could b a 90-100 rec kinda player from here out! Here’s to a HEALTHY Lions season!! Go D..

4. jaweaver14 says: Jun 14, 2013 11:50 AM

As for you dapell, get a new shtick.

5. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 14, 2013 12:11 PM

I honestly couldn’t believe what I was reading the other day when I saw the quote from William Clay Ford Jr about what a great job he thinks Mayhew has done. Then in the same story he basically refuses to say anything even remotely nice about Schwartz and won’t even talk about his job security.
    Well, you know what? Last I checked it was the GM who was responsible for personnel decisions and, in my view, Mayhew has completely hamstrung Schwartz with his terrible drafting. I could write a short novel about how awful the Lions have drafted in just the last few years. The one that really stands out to me is when Mayhew TRADED UP into the first round for Jahvid Best. Never mind that he still would have been available when they picked in the second his concussion history definitely should have scared them off. Now this forces them to draft Leshoure to fill Best’s spot. It’s well known that the guy’s an idiot with serious character issues so the Lions should probably draft him, right? Even if he can stay out of jail and off drugs he’ll never be any better than average so now they have to shell out 4 million a year for Reggie Bush. You see where I’m going with this. Mayhew is totally incompetent. If anyone needs to go there’s no question it’s him. Broyles is just another in a line of terrible mistakes he’s made.
    For me what it really boils down to is this: I’ve been a huge Lions fan since I’ve been old enough to understand football and the one constant for my entire life has been the ownership. The Fords are some of the very worst owners in all of professional sports and the Lions will never be in the Superbowl until someone else owns the team.

6. digrojones says: Jun 14, 2013 12:25 PM

This kid needs to tell RG3 a thing or two about slowing down after your SECOND ACL surgery. He can’t be doing himself any favors by pushing so hard so early.

7. vikingsvoice says: Jun 14, 2013 12:35 PM

jaweaver14 says: Jun 14, 2013 11:50 AM

“Hey viking, did you miss the spot where he said he rushed it BEFORE the combine which means BEFORE he was a Lion. Some people just can’t do the whole logic thing I guess. The only one to blame is Broyles and I don’t blame him for trying to be as ready as he could be to increase his draft stock.”

————————————

Not only was I clearly responding to the first post, but apparently the fact that he tore it the 2nd time AS A LION is missed on you. He was still rehabbing in his first NFL training camp and it’s reasonable to suggest the Lions should have taken it slower. It’s ok, I’d be disgruntled too if I were a Lions fan…

8. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 14, 2013 12:49 PM

Anyone who thumbs downs my above comment obviously doesn’t know much about the Lions organization. Please watch them play for 30 + years then come back when you have a clue.

9. flickaboogie says: Jun 14, 2013 12:51 PM

The injuries were not on the same leg.

10. jaweaver14 says: Jun 14, 2013 1:20 PM

hey Viking, it was the other knee…come on man, at least try to act as though you know what you’re talking about. So, nothing is missed on me, might want to try the mirror for that one.

11. Nick says: Jun 14, 2013 1:25 PM

@johnelwayishorsefaced says:

————-

Actually… you make a large number of assumptions in your post:
    1) Jahvid Best would have been available in the second round. No clue how you know this.
    2) It is “well known that [Leshoure] is an idiot with serious character issues”.
    3) Leshoure will never be any better than average
    4) Implied statement Bush was a poor signing
    5) Broyles was a “terrible mistake”

Not agreeing with some of your claims does not mean people don’t understand the Lions or your frustration.

I have no clue how you would know #1 and #2 about what teams were thinking pre-draft or thinking about doing during the draft.

Even if I grant you #3 (which is relatively moot since the Achilles injury could have been an intervening factor) I can still disagree either with #4 and #5 and fully understand the Lions.

12. lionsdraftguy says: Jun 14, 2013 2:03 PM

Come talk to me when learning about the lions. I eat sleep and breathe lions football. It’s my life. Not a casual fan like some are. Especially draft related stuff.

13. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 14, 2013 2:08 PM

Ok here goes:
    1-Not sure if you’re aware of his concussion history in college but if not just watch the clip of the game against Oregon State. That’s just one of them but I’m pretty sure that the prevailing attitude around the league was that drafting Best, especially as high as the Lions did, would be a major gamble. Therefore there is a very good chance he still would have been available to us in the second round. Obviously no one can know that for sure. It’s called an educated guess.
    2-Obviously the organization agrees with me on this one or they probably wouldn’t have felt the need to bring Bush in.
    3-I love the Bush signing. It was absolutely necessary and will add a whole new dimension to the offense. Unfortunately Mayhew failed in his first two drafts at the position and this made it necessary to spend money that could have been spent elsewhere on another running back.
    4-I guess it’s premature to call Broyles a terrible mistake right now but he’s another example of Mayhew drafting injury prone players.
    None of this is rocket science. It’s very, very obvious that we have a poor GM and terrible owners. Until this changes we’ll never go farther than the first round of the playoffs.

14. nightofthehipple says: Jun 14, 2013 2:24 PM

15. nightofthehipple says: Jun 14, 2013 2:26 PM

I agree with johnelwayishorsefaced. If you sit down and figure how many players the lions are away from being good, I bet it equals the number of picks Mayhew has wasted or traded away… or traded away to waste. The Fords need to hire a proven GM and a proven coach. To ever have a chance of winning. They took over a top 5 NFL franchise and turned it into a bottom 5 NFL franchise.

16. lionsmark09 says: Jun 14, 2013 3:55 PM

There is some truth in the bad selection of Javid Best but the Bush signing should fill that need. But I think most people will feel differently about the Lions after this season. Don’t sleep on them.

17. broccolilava says: Jun 14, 2013 4:21 PM

I have been a Lions fan my whole life. I think Broyles was an excellent pick. He slid in the draft because of an injury which has not recurred or relapsed. His injury last year was unrelated. He has great hands and a very good chemistry with Stafford. He will be a powerful part of the offense for a long time.

18. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 14, 2013 8:42 PM

Oh yeah and I forgot that shockingly in this years draft Mayhew took a totally unproven guy in Ansah and an injury prone guy in Slay. Who could have ever predicted that?
    If Ansah ends up being a bust then Millen > Mayhew.