Atlanta radio station apologizes for making fun of Steve Gleason

Steve Gleason. Drew Brees, Will Smith AP

As a player, Steve Gleason is best remembered for blocking a punt in the Saints’ return to New Orleans a year after Hurricane Katrina, a blocked punt that spurred his team to a victory over the Falcons. He’ll always be beloved in New Orleans for that.

But for courageously continuing to live his life while ALS ravaged his body, Gleason has become universally respected by everyone who knows his story. That universal respect apparently stops at Atlanta sports radio station 790 The Zone, however, where Gleason was the subject of a Monday morning segment that made fun of his disability.

ALS has robbed Gleason of the ability to do most of the simple everyday things that most of us take for granted, like speaking and using his hands. As a result, the only way Gleason is able to communicate is to use computer software that allows him to type with his eyes, and provides him with a voice to speak. The guys at 790 The Zone apparently thought it would be funny to engage in a mock interview in which they poked fun at Gleason and used a robotic voice to portray things Gleason might say.

Understandably, many listeners were angered. When contacted by PFT, 790 The Zone confirmed that it has received strong negative feedback after airing the bit. And Nick Cellini of the “Mayhem in the A.M.” show that ran the Gleason-bashing segment acknowledged on Twitter that he had made a serious error in judgment.

“My apologies to everyone. It was a stupid attempt at humor that backfired. Emphasis on stupid,” Cellini wrote.

It’s hard to imagine how anyone ever thought making fun of Steve Gleason was a good idea. There’s no word yet on whether the folks who were involved in this will remain on the air at 790 The Zone.

Permalink 106 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
106 Responses to “Atlanta radio station apologizes for making fun of Steve Gleason”
  1. fitz66 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:37 PM

Let it go, Falcon fans. One day you’ll win the big one. Until then, tame the bitterness.

2. mrstinkypants says: Jun 17, 2013 12:37 PM

Pathetic what passes for “entertainment” on the radio these days.

3. chad504boy says: Jun 17, 2013 12:38 PM

Now’s a good time to note Lincoln Financial Group is this show’s biggest sponsor. Is this the type of values and entertainment you wish to support and have reflect back on you LFG?

4. jgg1 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:39 PM

The radio station needs to send who ever was responsible for this childish stunt packing!!!

5. ozymandias121 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:40 PM

What’s the point of living if you can’t laugh at yourself?

6. dbones750 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:41 PM

That’s…ahhh…pretty obviously offensive.

7. operwapitsai says: Jun 17, 2013 12:41 PM

my neighbor was recently diagnosed with ALS. terrible disease and nothing about it is a joke or in any way funny. very poor taste by these guys….

8. hbdbrowns33 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:41 PM

What a moron. I hope this guy at the very least gets suspended if not fired. How can anyone, regardless of what team you like, take a shot at Steve Gleason? He is an inspiration and someone who should be shown respect.

9. Iknoweverything says: Jun 17, 2013 12:42 PM

So it’s not just the Falcon fans that have the least class by far of any team, their radio personalities carry the same level of ZERO class.

So sad.

10. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 17, 2013 12:42 PM

Still, it’s not as bad as the time they had Steve covering the Meatloaf song “Paradise By The Dashboard Light” with Stephen Hawking.

11. richiejf says: Jun 17, 2013 12:42 PM

I’m just glad to hear that people in ATL were pissed about it. I hate the Falcons as much as their fans hate my Saints, but its good to see them willing to call out one of their own when an obvious line is crossed. Football is football. Somethings are bigger.

12. mrplow3 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:42 PM

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone.

If the listeners want these guys fired, fire them. But lets not get the media into a frenzy launching a typical “outraged” campaign to get these guys fired so they can feel better about the disgusting things they do on a regular basis.

13. jwil007 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:43 PM

HA! Karma is a mitch! 790 fires or doesn’t renew the contract for Doug and Ryan Stewart due to their ethnic approach on their shows and you keep hosts that make a mockery of a guy with a debilitating disease??? Your turn to get beat down by fans, media and supporters for the disease for your selfish and insensitive approach to Mr. Gleason. You reap what you sow!

#2LiveStewswillbeback

14. sxt004 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:43 PM

They should be fined at least. It makes no sense. How was this not going to backfire? Idiots and karma will eventually catch up with these people for being heartless as well as direspectful.

15. finleye says: Jun 17, 2013 12:44 PM

the lack of class of both the Falcons and Saints fans has been a co-evolution of sorts

16. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Jun 17, 2013 12:44 PM

So fired.

17. garyleee says: Jun 17, 2013 12:44 PM

Wow talk about no class. No talent!!!! Can’t even fill the time slot with something interesting so they mock a man on his deathbed.

18. geauxtigers87 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:44 PM

What trash.

19. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 17, 2013 12:45 PM

I live in ATL & these guys are only on the air because they’re the station owner’s buddies. Worthless for real information. Doesn’t surprise me at all.

20. sdcameron says: Jun 17, 2013 12:45 PM

Idiots to do that, try using your brain jackass’s.

21. notoriousjebus says: Jun 17, 2013 12:45 PM

It was an unfunny joke. Actually I can’t say that, I haven’t heard it, it may have very well been hilarious. Regardless, it was just an attempt at humor, no need to start calling for people to get fired over this.

22. mavajo says: Jun 17, 2013 12:46 PM

It’s interesting. If you make fun of a healthy person, there’s no problem. But if you make fun of a disabled person, there’s outrage and questioning about whether you should lose your job. Why? Quite frankly, it seems condescending towards the disabled person. If you truly view two groups as equals, then what’s acceptable for one should be acceptable for the other. Coddling Gleason because he has ALS is really just another weird, backwards form of disrimination.

23. saintsfan82 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:47 PM

Stay classy Atlanta

24. pgray1224 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:49 PM

That apology does not sound very genuine. Was probably forced to tweet the apology. I don’t care how sorry he is, the bit was still done and everybody associated is pure trash.

25. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 17, 2013 12:49 PM

People are very easily offended today.
    There are things that I hear and see every day that I consider offensive but I would never call a radio station and whine to them about it because a) I have free will and I can change the station or turn off the radio if I don’t like what I’m hearing and b) I’m not arrogant enough to think that anyone else should care about my opinions and whether or not I’m offended by something I see or hear. What one person considers offensive another may consider hilarious.
    People need to get over themselves.

26. dzor22 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:51 PM

Making fun of Steve Gleason is really bad. What he has done personally is an example for all of us to use for being thankful, as well as one to be admired for overcoming obstacles. Looks like those responsible stepped up and admitted their stupidity. That all being said…Go Falcons!

27. paulitik74 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:51 PM

I don’t have much respect for Gleason, for someone to be suffering like he is to be an apologist for the Saints bounty practices is the epitome of hypocrisy. That said, he doesn’t deserve to be mocked for his condition. Cellini should be suspended.

28. skoobyfl says: Jun 17, 2013 12:52 PM

What good could of possibly come from this ??

29. bbrophy1 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:52 PM

it’s always amazing to watch media sheep sacrifice forever their integrity, reputation and sense of decency all in the name of ratings for their current employer. The ironic part is he’ll be back on the air soon discussing how some athlete has no common sense for a lesser incident than his own.

30. angelogiaquinto18 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:53 PM

How can you possibly be that stupid? Everyone involved in this I have two words… YOUR FIRED!

31. bigdan7885 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:54 PM

Oh wow it’s actually an ESPN affiliate. Yet another embarrassment for the “World Wide Leader”

32. xyzchattanooga says: Jun 17, 2013 12:55 PM

As a Falcon fan, I am totally disgusted. What sort of person makes light of a gravely ill man?

33. nps6724 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:55 PM

As a Saints fan who hates the Falcons to my very core, I really hope a bunch of idiots don’t litter this thread with insults directed toward their organization for what this asshat did. As for said asshat, I only have to ask: what kind of drugs were you on to even think there was humor in Steve Gleason’s story? Obviously he’s a huge folk hero to Saints fans for what he did on the football field, but he’s also doing a lot of good for ALS awareness and ALS patients. How does your peabrain even attempt to find comedy in that situation? And for a daily morning show? Really?

I don’t wish ill will towards Cellini but if he lost his job over it, *that* would be quite the hilarious bit.

34. padraighansen says: Jun 17, 2013 12:55 PM

I’ve seen people – both talent & management – suspended and/or terminated for much less. This is absolutely ridiculous. No excuses.

35. eastnola says: Jun 17, 2013 12:56 PM

I would have to say they’ve crossed the line on this one, heads should roll at the radio station. NO excuses for such trash on the radio , you simply cannot tell me they didn’t know what they were doing when they aired such garbage.

36. cajunaise says: Jun 17, 2013 12:56 PM

“Mayhem in the A.M.” = “Fired in the P.M.”

37. briang123 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:56 PM

I love dark and lowbrow humor, and it takes a heck of a lot to offend me. This type of “comedy” reaches that level. What they should do is call up Mr. Gleason and ask him if they may apologize to him on the air. I would rather see that happen instead of them getting fired. This way, their listeners can see the difference in the quality of human being the radio guys are as compared to the guy they mocked.

38. tvguy22 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:57 PM

Yet another classless morning show, each one trying to be more wacky and outrageous than the last.

39. shayeezy says: Jun 17, 2013 12:58 PM

appalling

40. lagg1 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:58 PM

Whoever took part in this ‘attempt in humor’ is nothing more than classless. My wife and I lost a friend to ALS. To inject humor when someone is ravaged by a disease that I have seen first hand is beyond belief.

41. sramsey16 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:58 PM

Keep staying classy D-bags! Here’s hoping the entire city of Atlanta sinks into the Earth or into Roddy White’s mouth…whichever hole is bigger!
    Keep fighting Steve! Geaux Saints!

42. jdubkc says: Jun 17, 2013 12:59 PM

Inspiration and hero.

43. nispikers says: Jun 17, 2013 12:59 PM

O.K. so now is the time for this “morning host” to pick up the damn phone and make his apologies to the person he made fun of. No matter if Gleason heard the segment or not, this needs to be done. This “morning host” also needs to clarify just what he is sorry for, and be specific. Other than being fired, that is what should happen to him. He should also be made to make a donation to the “No White Flags” organization, the Steve Gleason foundation, or another organization that supports research on this disease!

44. paulbrownbengal says: Jun 17, 2013 1:00 PM

Anyone like that should be fired or maybe get ALS themselves. Their sure not smart if they think that is funny.

45. steelerben says: Jun 17, 2013 1:00 PM

Write this down so there isn’t any confusion:

Making fun of Stephen Hawking is hilarious, but making fun of Steve Gleason is not.

46. bmacwillconn says: Jun 17, 2013 1:04 PM

When does doing something “stupid” translate into getting removed from your job?

Hopefully when your stupid and crass enough to make fun of another person who is unable to defend himself.

Especially a magnificent person as classy and decent as Steve Gleason.

47. imnga says: Jun 17, 2013 1:04 PM

Quickest way to fix idiots like this are to complain to their advertisers. Cut their money off and they will go away.

48. dbones750 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:04 PM

This guy is allowed to be on the radio and make fun of people with ALS, yet a team named the “redskins” gets dissected by the US Congress.

49. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 17, 2013 1:05 PM

I hate the Saints more than any team in the league and even I think this was pretty dirt-ball…

50. saintsfan1111 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:06 PM

This is par for the course in Atlanta. Most of them are classless.

51. youalldrinkhaterade says: Jun 17, 2013 1:06 PM

Bunch of jerkoffs if you ask me, couple guys soon to be out of work

52. nonyt says: Jun 17, 2013 1:07 PM

Fire the lot of them and donate their severance pay to ALS research.

53. bayoumama24 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:07 PM

Totally classless – I hope that Atlanta is embarrassed by this.

54. kirksav says: Jun 17, 2013 1:09 PM

Funny how it’s classless and stupid when it’s about Gleason, but acceptable and funny when it’s about Stephen Hawking who also suffers from a form of ALS.

I’m not saying it should be acceptable for anyone. As someone who has first hand seen the devastating effects of ALS and other forms of MD, I don’t think jokes like these have a place on the radio.

55. jmac1013 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:09 PM

Cue the typical over-reaction by people.

It was stupid, the person apologized.

Move on.

56. drewhill29 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:10 PM

Bad decision in judgment, but folks are way too quick to pull the “fire them” trigger. Maybe a suspension, but firing seems awful punitive for a 2 minute bit.

I’ve heard other stations do the same bit with Stephen Hawking; no one called to be fired there. Folks are way too anxious to have someone lose their job over a lapse in judgment.

57. patriotsdefense says: Jun 17, 2013 1:12 PM

No matter what team you root for, those comments were wrong and disgusting. Steve Gleason is a man of honor and regardless of his medical condition he should be treated with common decency.

58. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 17, 2013 1:12 PM

NPS6724, I’m with you. So far, respectable comments. This isn’t about Saints or Falcons. This is about crossing the line.

59. wrenches2pipes says: Jun 17, 2013 1:15 PM

“It was a stupid attempt at humor.” Try malicious and childlike.

60. gooboy6 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:17 PM

His ” punishment ” should be to spend a day with that young man. A very good friend of mine is dying of ALS. That disc jockey has no clue on what Gleason is going thru. ALS is awful ,worse than cancer. This story makes me want to cry

61. jetslakersfan says: Jun 17, 2013 1:17 PM

I think his bosses should walk in when there on live and fire everyone who took part it this. This is just sick.

62. joetoronto says: Jun 17, 2013 1:20 PM

If the DJ’s are 12 years old or younger, than it’s understandable.

63. surfinbird1 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:20 PM

Karma can be a bitch.

64. pdidit09 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:21 PM

Firing all that was involved is not enough.

65. slobmykolb says: Jun 17, 2013 1:22 PM

I am a lifelong falcons fan and absolutely love seeing the saints fail on the field. However when a PERSON has to live courageously with a horrible disease like ALS no one under any circumstances should make fun of that person. This is an absolutely disgusting attempt at humor and to say it backfired is a gross understatement. These guys should want (not be told) to contact Gleason and sincerely apologize. Former Saint or not off the field this is still a human being with family and values (which Mayhem in the A.M does not). These are just a horrible couple people and hopefully they do not cast an ugly stereotype on the actual Falcons fans that do actually have class and respect toward people even Saints and their fans……….. Hmmm had to wait a second I thought I might combust just for writing that!

66. nolahxc says: Jun 17, 2013 1:28 PM

steelerben says:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:00 PM
    Write this down so there isn’t any confusion:

People may poke fun at Stephen Hawking, but they don’t cross the line that 790 did with Gleason.

There’s a significant different there.

67. buddysguys says: Jun 17, 2013 1:31 PM

what ever happened to laughter is the best medicine.

people make jokes of Magic Johnson and his aids all the time.

i guess we have to pick our people we joke on, seems prejudice to me.

68. mljohns says: Jun 17, 2013 1:32 PM

From 790 the Zone’s website…

“We deeply regret the comments made by Mahem In The AM this morning on 790 The Zone regarding former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason. 790 The Zone, Lincoln Financial Media, our sponsors and partners in no way endorse or support the unfortunate and offensive commentary concerning Mr. Gleason this morning. The members of the show involved with this incident have been suspended indefinitely pending further management review of their actions.”

Rick Mack 790 The Zone Sr. VP & General Manager

69. creamsiclecannon says: Jun 17, 2013 1:33 PM

I have seen Steven Hawking made fun of for his als hundreds of times on television. I have seen Michael J Fox made fun of plenty for his parkinsons on tv. Never once have I seen someone ask for the writers of the shows be fired for it.

70. ekj6955 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:35 PM

My father has had ALS for over 20 years. He is an amazing man and an inspiration to all the people that meet him. After having witnessed this disease I can safely say that I wouldn’t even wish it on my own worst enemy.

Someone that was a great dad that always played sports with my borther and I, was our cub scout master, coaches to many sports teams. The disease has taken his body and left his mind completely intact, but not allow his body do the most basic of things like blow your nose. Even with all of this he has found other ways to be an amazing person to everyone, including his 4 grandchildren.

All of the above is to demonstrate how awful making fun of someone with this disease is. My dad has the computer that he can control with his eyes and it takes him 30 minutes to type something it takes me 30 seconds for. I have sat in his shoes and tried it. I wanted to throw it after 5 minutes. All in all, what these people did is horrible. The skit is not funny in any way. Hopefully all involved have truly learned from this mistake.

71. saints25 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:38 PM

Dan Hope‏@Dan_Hope60s
    No surprise there. RT @griftdrift: Wow. 790 The Zone GM just did an on air apology and says Mayhem has been suspended indefinitely.

72. bullwnkl985 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:43 PM

People always want to get their panties all up in a bunch over some great cause or another.

Look, I’m a Saints fan… and what they did was pretty classless and low. But calling for them to be fired, putting down the entire Atlanta area, etc is not necessary.

Here’s how you fix the situation… As the manager of the radio station, you get Steve Gleason to come on air and issue a public apology for the actions. You then give him air time to actually promote his cause and get the message out about how horrible ALS truly is! Finally, you get the station/offending DJ’s to contribute a nice chunk of coin to SG’s charity for ALS awareness.

The initial bit was wrong, but instead of just bashing the offenders, turn it around and use it as a positive to promote awareness!

73. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jun 17, 2013 1:43 PM

Atlanta is full of unemployed DJ’s at this moment in time. Add a few more to the list……

74. bobby2478 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:43 PM

This is a disgusting bit they did, and the negative reaction is understandable and justified in my opinion.

It’s a tricky situation however, due to the 1st Ammendment people have the freedom to spit hateful and stupid rhetoric at whomever they want, it’s their prerogative.

However even though you have the “freedom” to say stupid, insensitive things to others, doesn’t mean you don’t have responsibility for what you say.

There are some things you should just never do, like making fun of someone like Gleason with a debilitating illness that will take his life, just like you shouldn’t make fun of people who have suffered a disfiguring physical injury or someone who is mentally handicapped. You have the freedom to say hurtful things to these people, but it is disgusting if you choose to do so.

75. scoobies05 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:44 PM

are people seriously defending the radio folks who made fun of a guy dying from a terminal illness? if it was your family would you be ok with it? good luck to steve gleason

76. jm91rs says: Jun 17, 2013 1:45 PM

Highly inappropriate, but I always hate that everyone calls for people to be fired when they make a mistake like this. Suspend them, force them to host some sort of ALS charity event, but firing someone because they offended someone else is stupid. Unfortunately it’s the radio and radio DJs or whatever they want to be called live to shock, hence “shock jock”.

I never like when these guys are fired for doing something stupid, yet they’re always told by their bosses to be shocking and controversial. Keep them on the air and force them to talk about ALS, rather than firing them and everyone else at the station acting like nothing happened.

77. sandersmarcus10 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:46 PM

ozymandias121 says:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:40 PM

What’s the point of living if you can’t laugh at yourself?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? But let it be someone in your family and you ask yourself that same question. Classless

78. kenyonrambo says: Jun 17, 2013 1:48 PM

79. nispikers says: Jun 17, 2013 1:50 PM

What concerns me as much is that some people on this thread think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using someone’s fatal disease in an effort to gain ratings and/or make people laugh. Fighting for your life is not a laughing matter.
    Would anyone consider making fun of the tornado victims??? The Sandy Hook shooting victims?? See where I am going here?
    Steve Gleason, in 2006, was playing football. In 2013, he can’t walk, talk, hold his child, use his hands, use his feet!!! All he can do is use his eyes! At least he is trying to be pro active about his disease, to raise awareness, to fund research. He is not sitting at home feeling sorry for himself.
    I don’t see how, in any way, shape or form, this can be a laughing matter to ANYONE!

80. Akula says: Jun 17, 2013 1:50 PM

What goes on in these production meetings when someone says…” hey I got an idea…why don’t we make fun of the guy with ALS? How could that possibly go wrong? ”

Just fire the people…..appologize….and very quietly crawl back into your hole.

81. jabeus says: Jun 17, 2013 1:52 PM

Was this in poor taste? Yes Was this bad judgment? yes but I hate when a story, we all act like we are perfect and never think or do anything like that, and we ask for the guys head if its as bad as you all make it seem, dock their pay, suspend them a day or two, because it was wrong and over the line, but seriously get over yourselves!

82. bayoumama24 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:53 PM

I sure hope those DJ’s don’t have children. That’s one gene pool that should be sterilized.

83. hedleykow says: Jun 17, 2013 1:55 PM

Same thing Rush Limbaugh did when he mocked Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s disease. No difference whatsoever, and millions of idiots defended Rush for doing it.

84. nps6724 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:56 PM

mavajo says: Jun 17, 2013 12:46 PM

—————————————————–

If they wanted to treat Steve Gleason as an equal, they would actually make fun of something *other than* his ALS. He’s more than an ALS sufferer yet that’s how they’re treating him with this bit. It’s a subtle yet distinct difference IMO.

I think there’s room to joke about someone who is disabled or sick, but if the entire joke centers on their disability or illness, that’s where it crosses the line. For me anyway.

85. sbc85 says: Jun 17, 2013 1:56 PM

“kenyonrambo says: Jun 17, 2013 1:48 PM

I have ALS. It’s far more insulting that we are somehow off limits. That we are so frail that we can’t handle it.”

That is not what it is about. It’s about compassion for human life. I don’t find jokes about people with cancer or any other kind of terminal disease funny, either.

86. skinsfan91 says: Jun 17, 2013 2:01 PM

I think Einstein said “Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”

87. steelerben says: Jun 17, 2013 2:10 PM

nolahxc says:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:28 PM
    steelerben says:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:00 PM
    Write this down so there isn’t any confusion:

There’s a significant different there.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How is it any different? Making fun of a robot voice is making fun of a robot voice. How was any line crossed by 790 that makes it different? Because it was from the town of a rival football team? Because Gleason is a football hero in New Orleans and Hawking is merely one of the most brilliant minds of our generation, so it is cool to make fun of nerds and not jocks? Is it because you can’t think of Hawking as able bodied because he hasn’t been since the early 70’s before he was famous but you can still picture Gleason blocking that kick?

88. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 17, 2013 2:12 PM

It is no longer good enough to just apologize, you must donate 95% of your property. You must and probably will be fired from your job. You must be made to suffer. You must be banned from the radio for EVER!!! You cannot learn from a mistake in this country, in fact, those who make mistakes (unless meeting the super secret qualifications of the all knowing and always right) will be made to appear on Oprah!!! If you cause actual physical harm to someone or their families, you can be forgiven, it is just your speach we find offensive!!!! Freedom of speech is only applicable when we deem it just and parallel to our cause. How dare you! How dare you! make a joke about anything other than what we will allow you to make a joke about, which today is Horses, horses.

89. bigdawgdaddy says: Jun 17, 2013 2:16 PM

I’ll be the first to bash the ‘aints and point out their undeserved *Super Bowl title because of the teams cheating ways…..BUT BUT BUT to make fun of someone (regardless of the team they played for) who has a disease as terrible as ALS, well all i can say is…..you sir are the lowest form of life and deserve to one day come down with a disease much worse than the person whom you poked fun at……
    And yeah…..it figures it was affiliated with the Atlanta Falcons….most classless ignorant fanbase in any major sport

90. loubearkane says: Jun 17, 2013 2:25 PM

ozymandias121 says: Jun 17, 2013 12:40 PM

What’s the point of living if you can’t laugh at yourself?

The point d-bag is that you’re not laughing at yourself , you’re laughing at someone who’s body has been taken control by a illness that’s there’s no cure for.

I’m not a fan of violence but some times you have to smack stupid and ignorance out of people.

91. cowartsh says: Jun 17, 2013 2:42 PM

@bigdawgdaddy it was affiliated with the falcons or their fans in any way and if you believe that you sir are the ignorant one. It was a stupid radio host who in no way represents the falcons or their fans and to suggest otherwise is really classless on your part

92. loubearkane says: Jun 17, 2013 3:05 PM

buddysguys says: Jun 17, 2013 1:31 PM

what ever happened to laughter is the best medicine.

people make jokes of Magic Johnson and his aids all the time.

i guess we have to pick our people we joke on, seems prejudice to me.

Majic Johnson contracted the HIV virus from unprotected sex and not living a monogamous lifestyle.
    Steve Gleason was stricken with ALS for reasons unknown.

Do you not see the difference?

93. string888 says: Jun 17, 2013 3:28 PM

Nobody listens to 790 the zone in ATL anyways. Probably a desperate attempt just get some some publicity to show they are still alive. 92.9 the game has taken over sports talk in Atlanta.

94. bbb82 says: Jun 17, 2013 3:32 PM

Too bad these sports radio stations gave up on actually discussing sports. Now it’s just shock jocks who don’t have enough knowledge to understand the game, so they just do stupid bits like this instead.

95. upperdecker19 says: Jun 17, 2013 3:34 PM

@creamsiclecannon says: Jun 17, 2013 1:33 PM

*******************************

Problem is….MJF made fun of HIMSELF for Parkinson’s. A whole episode on Curb Your Enthusiasm that was hysterical (did you shake the can of Pepsi or was that Parkinson’s?)

96. klownboy says: Jun 17, 2013 3:49 PM

I’d say those fools will be fired in 5… 4… 3… 2… 1…

97. chc4 says: Jun 17, 2013 4:08 PM

Cellini is a Browns fan so all these goobers blaming this on Falcons fans can zip it.

98. jabeus says: Jun 17, 2013 4:09 PM

I have to ask, if something like this would go unnoticed or uncomfortably laughed off on a show like family guy or Tosh.0 where do we draw the line?

99. jayquintana says: Jun 17, 2013 4:14 PM

Good apology. None of this, “if we offended anyone, we’re sorry.” They owned up. That should count for something.

100. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 17, 2013 4:19 PM

Thank you to the non fan-blinder Falcons fans who complained.
    They deserve to be recognized.

Between this and the egg throwing incident, the Falcons’ fans aren’t doing their team or city any favors.

101. saintspat says: Jun 17, 2013 4:26 PM

All I have to say is this.
    Week 1 Falcons at Saints

102. taylorgang24 says: Jun 17, 2013 4:30 PM

Wow, why isn’t this a bigger story? It’s horrible. I bet if it was about blacks or gays people would freak out. Instead it’s about a guy who is suffering beyond belief. Could you pick a worse person in the world to make fun of?

103. bobman2 says: Jun 17, 2013 4:54 PM

Well, other New Yorkers (and former NYers) of a certain age might remember a morning show in the late 80s that featured a fake interview with a brain-damaged boxer named “Rainmancini,” a surreal hybrid of Ray Mancini and Dustin Hoffman. “I’m an excellent boxer…” and “Ray, how much does a subway token cost?” “A thousand dollars…” The only reasons it didn’t raise this level of outrage were that it could be argued that it was a movie parody (disingenuous at best) and Mancini was known for killing an opponent in the ring but had not (yet?) showed signs of brain damage. Add in a far lower level of concussion trauma awareness. Oh, and no Internet.

104. razzzmajazzz says: Jun 17, 2013 6:06 PM

I can’t believe that an adult and educated professional would actually think that something like that is a good idea.

105. db105 says: Jun 17, 2013 6:41 PM

Classless guys trying to get better ratings. Why do the simpleminded automatically consider this idiot as part of the Falcons or the city of Atlanta?

106. swagger52 says: Jun 18, 2013 2:02 AM

So glad I live in Baltimore.

This would never happen to OJ Brigance.