Chad admits to two prior butt slaps, says he deserves second chance in NFL

Johnson AP

On Monday, former NFL receiver Chad Johnson was released from jail after serving seven days of a 30-day term.

On Tuesday, Johnson appeared on Good Morning America to discuss the incident, and his football future.  Because appearing on a network morning show is always the best way to get the attention of a General Manager.

First, Johnson explained to Robin Roberts the butt-slap of lawyer Adam Swickle, a gesture that came after Judge Kathleen McHugh praised Swickle’s work on Johnson’s behalf.

“That’s the way I’ve always interacted throughout life, just in general,” Johnson said.  “I know there’s a certain thing called courtroom etiquette, which I’ve never really been part of the court system.  It was a light tap.  It wasn’t in any way to disrespect the courtroom.  And really I didn’t think anyone would see it, because it was actually my third time doing so.”

Johnson, who remains on probation through October, wisely praised the judge supervising the process for her decisions, including the one that put him behind bars.

“I supported her in her decision to give me the sentence that she did, basically after me not meeting the criteria and the guidelines that I was supposed to meet in a certain amount of time,” Johnson said.  “With them not being done within that time, I felt that it was right of her to sentence me to 30 days.  She had given me a gift before and there was no reason to treat me any different than anyone else.  Because if anyone else was in that situation, they would have had to do 30 days as well. . . .

“Judge McHugh was able to do something many people have tried to get me to do for a long time.  Slow down.  Just at life in general.  Slow down, think about what you’re gonna do.  She was able to do that, maybe not in the best circumstances to those on the outside but I see being able to sit down and think about life and where I’m going from this point on being one of the best things that could happen to me right now.”

An even better thing that could happen, in Johnson’s view, would be to get back to the NFL.

“I think everyone deserves a second chance,” Johnson said.  “Many would say I might not deserve it.  I would like to finish my career off the right way.  I don’t want the last thing to be remembered, you know, well Chad was cut from the Dolphins for an incident he had with his wife.  I would love to grace the football field one more time and to help some team.  I’m not injured, there’s nothing wrong with me.  I’ve learned my lesson, especially after those past seven days.  And that’s about it.  If it doesn’t happen, life goes on.  There are many opportunities and doors that will continue to open.”

He needs those doors to open.  Or he needs to close his wallet.  With a reported monthly deficit of $45,000, Johnson must generate more income or reduce dramatically his expenses before his football money evaporates for good.

It remains unlikely that he’ll be earning more football money.  Even before he was cut by the Dolphins last year, his performance on the field (as captured by NFL Films and HBO) seemed to be more like the guy who was forgotten during the 2011 season in New England and less like the player who once had the audacity to don a homemade Hall of Fame blazer after scoring a touchdown in a Monday night game.

Regardless, he shouldn’t have been put in jail.  Now that he’s out, here’s hoping he finds a way to be productive (and solvent) in his post-football life.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Chad admits to two prior butt slaps, says he deserves second chance in NFL”
  1. nfloracle says: Jun 18, 2013 10:40 AM

I hope Chad finds something satisfying to do with the rest of his life because I’m afraid football’s not in the cards. He truly can be entertaining, so maybe one of the networks will be smart enough to give him a shot.

ESPN, for example, could dump Keyshawn for Chad. That would be a major upgrade, for sure.

2. peanutrae says: Jun 18, 2013 10:43 AM

Second chance?… wouldn’t his be like his third or fourth?

3. jasncondit says: Jun 18, 2013 10:45 AM

I want the Lions to sign him. So that they can do crossing routes and get confused with two Johnson names. Unless they look at the size and speed of the players. Then it won’t work…lol

4. bobby927 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:51 AM

Second chance?? Hasn’t he already had about three chances? It is over Chad. Done, finito. The fat lady has sung.

5. gbmickey says: Jun 18, 2013 10:57 AM

I really hope he gets it now but as they say actions speak louder than words. We will have to see.

6. redbirdsrising says: Jun 18, 2013 11:01 AM

Classy comments, wouldn’t have expected that from Chad.

7. joetoronto says: Jun 18, 2013 11:08 AM

“And really I didn’t think anyone would see it, because it was actually my third time doing so.”

If you look closely bat what he said, he’s stating that the knew it was wrong to do, because I didn’t think anyone would see it.”

No more 5th or 6th 2nd chances for this guy, just shut the door and move on.

8. bigks77 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:12 AM

Why do we give losers the spot life? Go away!!!

9. GenoAtkinswillnotbestopped says: Jun 18, 2013 11:14 AM

Glad Chad is no longer a distraction with Cincy, but I still would like to see him redeem himself on the field and have another productive season or two somewhere. He means well, he’s just immature.

10. neverwave says: Jun 18, 2013 11:19 AM

time to kiss the baby!

11. iamhoraceknight says: Jun 18, 2013 11:19 AM

How is it his third chance?

The First time he got into trouble is when the Dolphins Cut him?

He was traded by the Bengals to NE, later released by them and signed as a Free Agent with the Dolphins(That’s called NFL Transactions).

If a new team sign him, THAT would be his 2nd Chance.

12. buckstop2013 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:25 AM

“Enemies call you an ass, friends help you make an ass out of yourself “

13. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 18, 2013 11:27 AM

“I would love to grace the football field one more time”?

I think he has a little further to go in the humility department.

14. godofwine330 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:27 AM

Chad is a good dude at heart. I remember before one game here in Cleveland he said the first 100 people would get a free dinner at XOXO Steakhouse in Cleveland – a very expensive steakhouse. He should get a second shot at the NFL and I hope somebody somewhere gives him a chance. There are 4 receivers to a team at a minimum, and I refuse to believe there are 128 better receivers in the NFL than Chad Johnson. Maybe he should stop the attention-whoring, but he does deserve a shot.

15. mcjon22 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:33 AM

Remember when people mocked Joe Philbin for cutting this guy on Hard Knocks? Good times

16. olcap says: Jun 18, 2013 11:34 AM

Chad’s a clown, to be sure, but he’s not a bad person. He is a good person with a good heart and a good attitude. He’s clearly learned something from this episode.

17. freepretzels says: Jun 18, 2013 11:40 AM

We lump him and T.O. together but they really are different. I get the feeling T.O. could still play at a higher level than Chad, but I also get the feeling Chad has a better locker room personality.

18. Patskrieg dot com says: Jun 18, 2013 11:41 AM

I have more faith in his second chance at marriage than as an NFL receiver. Not interested in watching him not learn another team’s playbook.

19. Akula says: Jun 18, 2013 11:46 AM

Chad…there is nothing stopping you from a second chance in the NFL unless you take into account that nobody wants you.

You have to earn the right to play in the league with production. It’s not to be given to you.

20. whatnojets says: Jun 18, 2013 12:02 PM

Maybe a one year minimum contract with the Jets???

21. jm91rs says: Jun 18, 2013 12:06 PM

I think the guy could still play in a system he knows, aka for Bob Bratkowski only. He ran himself out of Cincinnati with his mouth and his contract, not his play. Somehow Bratkowski’s system seemed to be easy for him. If Brat is still the OC down in Jacksonville, I think it’d be worth giving him a shot. That’s about the only scheme I think he can pick up in the 1-2 years he has left in the tank.

22. thesteelers says: Jun 18, 2013 12:11 PM

Second chance, i.e. needs an extra buck. He doesn’t care about the game anymore.

23. bucnblood says: Jun 18, 2013 12:38 PM

Good luck to you Chad…I hope a team gives you another shot.

24. gallogj says: Jun 18, 2013 12:58 PM

Maybe he should have invested his money wisely instead of buying dinner for all of the patrons when he goes to fancy restaurants!

25. buddypuddy says: Jun 18, 2013 1:01 PM

Doubtful any judicial intervention will ever make the guy grow up. When your professed role model in life is Terrell Owens, there is beautiful poetic justice in them both being out-of-work and broke. It’s a team sport. Lots of people can catch a freaking ball.

26. raiderufan says: Jun 18, 2013 1:31 PM

“And really I didn’t THINK anyone would see it, because it was actually my third time doing so.”

That is the most important point because someone did see. The judge. And she probably saw all 3 of them. Starts to make sense that she felt he wasn’t taking it serious. Stands to reason that if he got a chuckle the 3rd time he probably did on the 1st and 2nd. He’s there for missing his meetings for beating his wife and he’s acting like that.

He seems to know she was justified in the sentence and I don’t believe she ever intended for 30 days. 30 days is however a bit more intimidating than 7 when you want a guy to know that acting like that is not tolerated in a court of law.

27. mackcarrington says: Jun 18, 2013 2:52 PM

I know that this may be stretch to some people, but I have come to the realization that Marvin Lewis is responsible for the Chad that we know now. He enabled and encouraged Chad’s behavior as a Bengal. He didn’t feel it was a detriment to the team and Chad’s performance, so he allowed it to grow to the point of obnoxiousness. We know that Belichick “didn’t play that”. I doubt that Tom Coughlin or Jim Harbaugh or a number of other coaches would have either.

28. fdugrad says: Jun 18, 2013 5:03 PM

Apart from his insipid behaviors during his time with the Bengals, he was very unproductive when he landed in NE. The reason given most of the time was because he could not assimilate the Pat’s playbook. While in Cin., he was allowed and enabled to ignore properly run routs and scripted plays. Carson Palmer was forced to heave the ball and HOPE Ocho would be somewhere in the designated area. Coach B. clearly wouldn’t enable this kind of approach to the game. I have always believed that Chad has an extremely severe reading disability, which could partly explain his outrageous behaviors. , being utilized to distract and cover the disability. While his talents were so exceptionally good, he was given certain considerations. As those talents diminished and he landed with a no-nonsense coach, those considerations were not extended. He was expected to learn and UNDERSTAND the playbook, and Chad’s reading disabilities doomed him. How else can one explain a person who has played football in college and the pros as long as he has, not being able to grasp a playbook for god’s sake?!

29. braceyourselffor12 says: Jun 18, 2013 5:10 PM

Oakland?

30. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 19, 2013 12:35 PM

Too much ego. I remember seeing him on that dating reality tv show where he was basically showboating and choosing on national tv which girl he was going to bang. Made me really dislike the guy. It’s good that he’s getting humbled, if anyone ever needed it, it’s this guy.

31. bubba703 says: Jun 19, 2013 3:22 PM

I don’t have an issue with Chad wanting another shot at the NFL, but with declining skills and difficulty reading playbooks, his options don’t look good.