Gleason accepts the apologies of radio hosts

Social Innovation Summit May 2013 - Day Two Getty Images

The idiots who thought it would be a good idea to make fun of Steve Gleason’s ALS paid for their lack of judgement and humor with their jobs.

But Gleason himself has taken the high road, accepting the apologies of the idiots in question, calling their contrition “genuine.”

Gleason posted that message on his Facebook page, responding with the kind of grace not everyone could muster (including yours truly).

“Regarding the DJ skit in Atlanta yesterday. I would like to thank the public for their support,” he wrote, with his eyes, since he can’t use his hands because of the disease. “’Defend Team Gleason’ now has been officially redefined. Additionally, the DJs have provided genuine apology. Received and accepted. We have all made mistakes in this life. How we learn from our mistakes is the measure of who we are.

“I think everyone can learn from this event. Its clear to me that, on a national & global scale, ALS is not understood, which is part of why its under funded and largely ignored. In the past 36 hours lots of people have been talking. Lets talk about this… There are zero treatments for ALS. If you take any action as a result of this event, I prefer it to be action to end ALS. See what we are doing to change that @ teamgleason.org. SG”

Gleason’s work on behalf of others with the disease has been remarkable and uplifting. But his forgiveness might be as impressive, and an example for each of us.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Gleason accepts the apologies of radio hosts”
  1. shjmmy says: Jun 18, 2013 3:27 PM

Much stronger man than I’ll ever be. Kudos, Mr. Gleason.

2. tremoluxman says: Jun 18, 2013 3:30 PM

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with ALS before the age of 55. It started with a weakness and twitch in the little finger of one hand. It progressed rapidly and she passed away less than three years later. My wife and her mother were with her, along with hospice staff when she died. She lived the last few years with quite dignity and courage. I hope that I can find that when it’s my time to go.

ALS is not a fit subject for humor. No cure and no real treatment other than living the remainder of your time in relative comfort.

3. rgiii2dc says: Jun 18, 2013 3:30 PM

That was a very well written article. Makes for a good read! Keep up these types of stories!

4. ravenmomma says: Jun 18, 2013 3:31 PM

What an amazing man he is. I wish more people could have his attitude. God bless him and I will keep praying that a cure is found for this horrible disease.

5. mackcarrington says: Jun 18, 2013 3:34 PM

This is what class looks like!

6. invizibleskull says: Jun 18, 2013 3:35 PM

Class act.

7. seaeagle707 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:36 PM

Very classy, unlike those that he extended his forgiveness to. Personally I would like to send a big shout out, to whomever it was that developed that “eye writing” technology. Now there, is someone making huge contributions to humanity.

8. chc4 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:37 PM

Would you expect him to say (or type with his eyes) anything different?

9. fdugrad says: Jun 18, 2013 3:40 PM

Mr. Gleason is truly a big man who inspires my highest respect. I agree with his assessment that ALS is not “understood.” I believe, however one does not need to “understand” this fatal disease in ANY depth, to realize that making fun of anyone suffering from it is not fodder for humor in any form or manner.

10. stlunatik says: Jun 18, 2013 3:42 PM

Your a strong man Mr Gleason. I bless and applaud you. Good luck with your struggle.

11. mec693 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:43 PM

that guys a class act and a hero.. I feel for him. A lot of good people get the short end of the stick in this world and he’s one of them

12. rdrs68 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:44 PM

Good move let’s hope that this whole event raises awareness and gets more people involved in efforts to find a cure.

13. sb44champs says: Jun 18, 2013 3:44 PM

Gleason accepts the apologies of radio hosts
    ==============================
    Of course he does, Gleason is an extraordinary human being…

14. sb44champs says: Jun 18, 2013 3:45 PM

chc4 says:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:37 PM
    Would you expect him to say (or type with his eyes) anything different?
    ======================
    ….and this guy is NOT an extraordinary human being..

15. stonegossardstyle says: Jun 18, 2013 3:47 PM

Once again, he’s proven to be the bigger man

16. bender4700 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:48 PM

Where are the Glass House Dwellers celebrating 3 families being massively affected by their firings? You know, nothing better than being outraged selectively.

Gleason accepted it because he has bigger things in life than to be judgmental and hypocritical.

This whole story is just ridiculous. Perfectly demonstrates how many hateful, judgmental, hypocritical, and otherwise just ridiculous people comment on these stories.

I’m more offended by the comments than the actual story.

17. winkeroni says: Jun 18, 2013 3:49 PM

I hope some of that apology was in the form of a generous donation to help ALS research.

Seems like Gleason sees the good to come out of the situation. As unfortunate as their remarks were, it has fortunately gotten the word out and shined some light on just how terrible of a disease ALS is.

18. onebucplace says: Jun 18, 2013 3:50 PM

So if the guy doesn’t want to play the victim card then why does everyone else feel the need to put words in his mouth? Seems like the guy has better judgement than most of the people reading this. Best of luck to Gleason.

19. ozymandias121 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:52 PM

I am here to voice my opinion, nobody cares about this.

20. jwil007 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:53 PM

Humility the 1 characteristic God wants everyone to have… #TeamGleason #Nevergiveup!

21. timmons94 says: Jun 18, 2013 3:54 PM

What an amazing human being. Some still don’t believe in God. Tim Gleason sure makes him proud every day.

22. jayniner says: Jun 18, 2013 3:55 PM

Humility in the face of adversity is an extraordinary character trait….

Perhaps these guys should “walk a mile in Gleason’s shoes” so to speak.

23. onebucplace says: Jun 18, 2013 3:55 PM

24. gamison says: Jun 18, 2013 3:59 PM

As disgusting as that skid was, this might turn out to be a good thing; it offered much needed awareness !

25. Troll_toll says: Jun 18, 2013 4:04 PM

My grandfather lost his life to this horrible disease. The strongest man I’ve ever known, it broke him down rapidly. Gleason is a strong man, god bless him. Let’s hope someday we find the root cause of this awful disease and find a cure so no one ever has to suffer it’s fate.

26. tomthebombtracy says: Jun 18, 2013 4:05 PM

The pressure on ratings and the diminishing importance of terrestrial radio make these shock jocks always one bit away from the unemployment line.

With four rating periods and meters, stations and advertisers have immediate access to numbers and the jocks are only as valuable as their last bit.

We have a shock jock in Pittsburgh that got fired because he lamented about Ted Kennedy dying before the “assassination hat trick.” He’s on another station now where all his bits and phone calls are recorded BEFORE they hit the air.

27. scrummymustard says: Jun 18, 2013 4:14 PM

“onebucplace says:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:55 PM
    You’re not a hero or extraordinary for being affiliated with a condition and I’m going to guess that Gleason would be the first to say that. Give the guy props for being a good guy, but don’t move him into the Saintly category for not wanting the radio guys head on a platter. Hopefully I’d do the same thing he did, but I have no way of knowing. Understand his condition and educate yourself on it, but don’t pander to the guy just because he’s disabled, that’s dehumanizing and just as bad as what the DJs did.”

Could you be any more clueless about Steve Gleason and what TeamGleason does??? No one is pandering to him because he has a disease.

He is not letting the disease totally destroy himself. He continues raising awareness and money for others in the same situation as him and for others who have yet to be diagnosed with ALS. He is trying to rid the world of the terrible disease and doing all he can before he passes away. It is not long off and I’d venture to guess he has done more in the last 3 years for society than you have in your entire life.

28. sb44champs says: Jun 18, 2013 4:16 PM

onebucplace says:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:55 PM
    ===============================

29. whoisferg says: Jun 18, 2013 4:23 PM

OK, Gleason accepts their apology wholly. We all agree (even the radio guys) it was beyond stupid and should not have happened. Gleason was actually very cool about it all and proved that he is way better than many of the posters on here who have never made a mistake in their life.

I had been written on here and I agree that although there is no excuse for the awful radio bit, with Gleason’s reaction, perhaps some good can be the ultimate result of this whole issue.

That being said, I hope the public can forgive these radio guys as easily as Gleason did. I’ve listened to these guys for over 15 years. Each has their own talents. Chris Dimino might be the best baseball talk show hosts in all of the country. I hope this doesn’t destroy his career.

I’m not a “woe is them” type of guy. They’ll get (and have gotten) what they deserve, by losing their jobs in a huge market. They’ve received vitriol up and down the internet. They asked for forgiveness from Gleason and it was given. Their names are stained pretty bad. I think that is probably enough.

Look, its ‘lil wayne trampling the flag…

30. briang123 says: Jun 18, 2013 4:23 PM

Gleason showed himself to be the better man. It’s that simple.

31. biznessdecision says: Jun 18, 2013 4:27 PM

Nothing but respect and admiration for Steve Gleason.

32. RexCanCoach says: Jun 18, 2013 4:29 PM

I am often critical of the type of article and commentary made on this site.

Today I pay my highest compliment to Darin for sharing this information and clearly to Steve G. for his unwavering dedication to the cure.

And yes, I also approve of use of the term “idiots” as well…

33. furnhole says: Jun 18, 2013 4:36 PM

Did the idiots call him? I hope so.

34. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 18, 2013 4:50 PM

Very dignified and professional of you to repeatedly refer to these men as idiots.
    Is this 6th grade? Are you the pot or the kettle?

35. warrior4884 says: Jun 18, 2013 4:55 PM

After reading the comments of posters and the response from Team Gleason, I think the DJ’s acknowledged their mistakes and consequences now it’s time to move on and let them ” try ” to find work to continue to support their families. Hopefully all will be more sensitive to other(s) plights and advocate for more awareness. Support Team Gleason and be thankful for what we have everyday, Thanks SG for your undying spirit and am praying for YOU and all who are afflicted with ALS. God Bless.

36. onebucplace says: Jun 18, 2013 4:57 PM

sb44champs says: Too bad no one claimed that was the case… Gleason is a hero and extraordinary for raising awareness to a very debilitating disease and creating a platform for others with ALS to live life to the fullest…

===============================

Yet read above — people are clearly saying that. I have nothing but the best of feelings towards Gleason but I won’t pander — he’s not a hero for raising awareness of something. It’s in Gleason’s best interest to use this to bring awareness, and I hope he takes as full advantage of the situation as he can. But that doesn’t make you a hero. If my best friend who is blind goes around raising awareness for blind issues that doesn’t make him a hero either.

This is in no way a negative comment on Gleason, not even in the slightest. Instead its a comment on the people that feel the need to attach themselves to the story and then pull a muscle while trying to pat themselves on the back.

37. hehateme2 says: Jun 18, 2013 5:02 PM

winkeroni says: Jun 18, 2013 3:49 PM

Being that they all lost their jobs I wouldn’t count on it.

38. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 18, 2013 5:02 PM

Gleason’s got a much better perspective on this than the blowhard moral authorities on this site.

39. mrlaloosh says: Jun 18, 2013 5:12 PM

Onebucplace, I bet Mr Gleason would give anything to be able to pat HIMSELF on the back.

40. robgilman says: Jun 18, 2013 5:14 PM

Interesting that despite being such a terrible and mean “joke”, the publicity of the story has really created a lot more awareness about ALS (and perhaps will lead to more donations and volunteer work towards the disease). Obviously I’m clearly not condoning or applauding the radio hosts but just looking at the positive side of things…

41. shlort says: Jun 18, 2013 5:18 PM

Steve is still a man just like any other man. Exception being that Steve has ALS. I see a lot of pitty taken on the man, and I would think that Steve wants none of it.

I commend Steve on realizing the radio hosts made a mistake and are likely feeling pretty stupid at this point.

Were these clowns on the radio being insensitive? Sure they were. Finding humor in someones burden is not in good taste no matter what they were trying to pull. I don’t believe these hosts should have been fired for their stunt. They should have done just as they have done and be let to learn from that. The intent of the Hosts was to make people laugh. I highly doubt their intention was to slander anyone or poke fun at anyone. They just didn’t use their heads and realize the skit was a bad idea.

42. sb44champs says: Jun 18, 2013 5:20 PM

onebucplace says:
    Jun 18, 2013 4:57 PM
    ===================
    I’ll say it again, he’s a hero for creating a platform, that otherwise would not exist, to give other ALS (terminally ill) patients the opportunity to LIVE THE REST OF THEIR LIVE TO THE FULLEST!!!!!!!!!!!

43. sb44champs says: Jun 18, 2013 5:21 PM

…LIVES

44. ccshocktalk says: Jun 18, 2013 5:26 PM

Seems like there are a consistent 23 people on this page that are missing the memo here…Gleason being a much bigger person than most, and ALS needs to be given serious attention and more funding.

If you can’t appreciate that then I think it would be great to see each of you fall to the same exact illness and see how you appreciate people talking sht. I almost hope you don’t get hit by a bus on the way home tonight…but if it happens I wont lose an ounce of sleep.

45. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 18, 2013 5:28 PM

Despite his diminutive physical size one sees in the photograph heading this article, that man has the heart of a Colossus.

46. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 18, 2013 5:29 PM

Is this 5th grade? Are you the pot or the kettle?

47. vincentbojackson says: Jun 18, 2013 5:37 PM

The high road. Reserved for classy guys like Gleason.

48. dirtydrew says: Jun 18, 2013 5:40 PM

Bless Steve Gleason and his family. Unfortunately for these radio clowns, their career is over in a matter of seconds of thoughtless juvenile “entertainment”. Steve Gleason handled it with class.

49. gadzod says: Jun 18, 2013 5:46 PM

While I HATE what was done in Atlanta, for people to say Gleason is a “bigger man than I’ll ever be” is just plain funny to read. So, he’s a bigger man than you because he didn’t cry and get butt hurt because someone made fun of him? That is just hilarious. He’s a bigger man than you because he takes everything well and has a great outlook on life, despite the “setbacks” that he has had to endure in his life. Not because he accepted an apology from someone that made fun of him.

50. ahmiller21 says: Jun 18, 2013 5:52 PM

Hey JohnElway, before you attack somebody for being a “5th grader” for calling them idiots maybe you should check out your username? #hypocrite #glasshouse

51. unklepaulhargus says: Jun 18, 2013 6:10 PM

The attack on free speech in this country is much worse than what the hosts said about SG.

52. apkyletexas says: Jun 18, 2013 6:15 PM

If I were Gleason, I wouldn’t want 3 guys losing their jobs over making fun of my disease. Especially when my disease is one that’s made fun of constantly on TV shows like The Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy with their Stephen Hawking robot-voice “Quadraplegic Guy” skits. Maybe Gleason should make one more statement – and say “Hey radio station people – since I accepted their apology and they seem sincerely sorry, why don’t you give them their jobs back if they promise to support ALS charities on the air from now on?”

Having three radio sports guys supporting ALS charities for the rest of their careers would be a win-win and a much better outcome than the current one, where nobody really wins at all.

53. sb44champs says: Jun 18, 2013 6:27 PM

Positive messages towards a terminally ill person should never get any ‘thumbs down’ replies….

54. mediasloppy says: Jun 18, 2013 6:34 PM

I think losing their jobs was a no brainer. What a couple of jerks. That being said, I’ve read trolls comments here that could be labeled the same, yet they post every day here…

55. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 18, 2013 6:36 PM

Jun 18, 2013 5:52 PM

Yeah sure thing guy. The main difference would be that I’m not presenting myself as a “sports journalist” and then spouting this kind of garbage to a large audience. The only other difference is that my username is joke and this guy seems to be pretty darn serious. Thanks for the advice though.
    By the way this isn’t twitter so you don’t have to use hashtags.

56. hodag54501 says: Jun 18, 2013 7:07 PM

The dickheads in the radio business never learn. Yet the cynicism of their actions remains true. Regardless of whether they were fired, when morons do stuff like this, guess what happens? The station’s ratings go up.
    How many times have you heard “the morning team” push the envelope too far(all in the name of ‘humor’) then get in trouble and apologize over and over.

It’s the culture of the commercial radio business, cynical, bottomline, uncaring and without a soul.

57. northstarnic says: Jun 18, 2013 7:57 PM

Wow, Gleason. Just… Wow. Way to be an amazing human. Seriously.

58. thebigtim2012 says: Jun 18, 2013 7:58 PM

Correct me if in wrong people in atl but it doesn’t sound like these guys were shock jocks merely regular sports talk radio djs. I’m just going on what I’ve read so a little enlightening would be appreciated. I feel like that is part of the problem these guys were just done regular talk guys who were attempting humor nor knowing what they were doing. It happens a lot

59. ravishingrickrude says: Jun 18, 2013 9:15 PM

The faux outrage is quite comical.

60. rawpowwa says: Jun 18, 2013 10:28 PM

Hooray for awareness, and working to help people with ALS, but some people need to get off their high horse. Do you really think firing these guys makes Steve Gleason feel better?

If it were 100 years ago, you’d be gathering your pitchforks and marching up the hill to kill someone. Great people you guys are. Real kind and compassionate.

61. phoenix727 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:31 PM

Seaeagle707 wrote:

Seaeagle:
    I believe Ray Kurzweil invented that technology. He also invented the technology that allows Stephen Hawking to communicate. Brilliant man that makes you wish you paid more attention in school so that you had half of his intelligence.

62. cnote82 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:56 AM

Whoever downvotes all these comments showing support for Mr Gleason are miserable pieces of trash.

63. mstern01 says: Jun 19, 2013 2:05 AM

A few people here talk about how free speech is being infringed. Yet they do not know their history.

In 1919, Oliver Wendell Holmes, probably the most famous Supreme Court Justice wrote the majority opinion in the case Schenck vs. the United States.

His famous argument is that freedom of speech is not unlimited. His words were :

“the most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic.”

The case involved actions by the federal govt to ban the distribution of leaflets opposing the draft during WWI.

In 1969, in the case of Brandenburg v Ohio, the court ruled that the federal govt can only limit free speech to prevent speech directed to and likely to incite imminent lawless action such as a riot.

But again, both of these cases were limiting the Federal govt, not private employers who usually follow Holmes “fire” argument.

So all you armchair constitutional lawyers, please get your facts and your history correct.

Speech that is false and harmful or dangerous is not protected.

BTW, Justice Holmes was born in 1841, was a Harvard graduate, Civil War Veteran and appointed to the Supreme Court by Pres. Teddy Roosevelt in 1902 and who would become the Chief Justice from 1929 to 1932 and died in 1935.

The right to freedom of speech does not allow you to say anything you want.