Jets’ Mt. Rushmore won’t include Fireman Ed

FiremanEd Getty Images

Jets.  Four letters.  Four heads on Mt. Rushmore.

None will be wearing the headgear of a firefighter.

But 12 finalists other than Fireman Ed have been identified.  Vote for up to four from the list of finalists appearing below.

The winners will be announced on Thursday’s Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, the same day the Patriots’ Mt. Rushmore will be announced.

Coincidentally, the butt fumble happened on a Thursday.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
50 Responses to “Jets’ Mt. Rushmore won’t include Fireman Ed”
  1. raiderinva says: Jun 18, 2013 10:37 PM

J….E….T…S…. (spells) Jets Jets Jets !!!!!

2. gorillasuitcelebrity says: Jun 18, 2013 10:39 PM

Rich Kotite was snubbed

3. jcmeyer10 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:39 PM

Everytime I’m having a bad day, I just remember the butt fumble and realize I don’t have it so bad.

4. billslane93 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:41 PM

Maybe Mo Lewis should have been on the Patriots Mt. Rushmore

5. brobroski says: Jun 18, 2013 10:42 PM

As a Patriots fan, I voted Mo Lewis, and you know why.

6. SAV says: Jun 18, 2013 10:44 PM

Wayne Chrebet?

7. dicktrickle97 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:45 PM

martin
    klecko
    gastienau
    manyard

8. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 18, 2013 10:49 PM

A possible explanation for some curious choices to Mt. Rushmore emerged recently when Prodaddy was arrested at his home on bribery charges.

9. 3 Finger Lenny says: Jun 18, 2013 10:49 PM

Fireman Ed is the epitome of a loser

10. omegalh says: Jun 18, 2013 10:52 PM

Where is chrebet?

11. evilglazers666 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:55 PM

Don Maynard
    Curtis Martin
    Joe Namath
    Mark Gastineau

12. sb139422 says: Jun 18, 2013 10:57 PM

Wayne Chrebet?! Keyshawn Johnson?!

13. pftfollower says: Jun 18, 2013 11:04 PM

What a pathetic list. This makes me start to feel bad for Jets fans and I’m a bills fan.

Only took the media 20 years to stop perpetually overrating the Jets. Hopefully this will better prepare Jets fans for the impending crap parade they are going to see each year and dull the pain.

Again, coming from a freaking Bills fan.

14. larry321 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:08 PM

Wayne Chrebet

15. kd75 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:15 PM

Leon Hess made the list. hahaha.

Dude made great toy Hess trucks I send to my nephews every xmas. But Leon Hess wouldn’t know a football it it hit him in the face.

I don’t want to rag on a dead guy but…Jets fans know. Anyone from New York area knows if they are over 40 years old.

Honestly, I think Leon Hess was a worse owner than Woody Johnson is. Leon Hess hired Joe Walton. And Rich Kotite…

The NFL should have been drug testing Leon Hess.

16. birdmantd says: Jun 18, 2013 11:24 PM

No Freeman McNeil? 44th all-time in rushing yards with a healthy 4.5 yards per carry. In his prime just as productive as Curtis Martin was.

17. gloryfromheaven says: Jun 18, 2013 11:28 PM

Why the hell should he be? The guy got up and left his team in the middle of a game, never attended another game, and deleted everything. I’m not a Jets fan, but I will always cheer for my team even if they go 0-16….

18. toon884life says: Jun 18, 2013 11:29 PM

Namath
    Gastineau
    Martin
    Maynard
    …Gastineau was the face of the team in the 80′s…Martin is the only sure fire Hall of Famer in team history…Maynard and Namath are both hall of famers who brought only SB…
    Shoutout to Toooooon and Freeman McNeil, 2 if my personal favorites along with Gastineau

19. jameskam17 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:39 PM

This is BS. Where is Chrebet??? He was a great JET

20. nightofthehipple says: Jun 19, 2013 12:11 AM

Namath does not belong in the Hall of Fame. He threw 47 more int’s than td’s. Had to go with Gastineau, Klecko, Martin and Maynard. People have been making fun of the Jags and Panthers, but the Jets have the poorest pool of players to choose from.

21. rambo08 says: Jun 19, 2013 12:23 AM

Mark Sanchez
    Vernon Gholston
    Brett Favre
    Rex Ryan

22. greedleague says: Jun 19, 2013 12:51 AM

I’m amazed how underwhelming a list of B list football players is presented. Seriously, what a joke of a list.

23. despenc925 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:07 AM

I don’t want to sound like a hater but real talk, joe Namath was a mediocre player that promised a Super Bowl win (which a lot of players do). check his stats…they’re TERRIBLE!

24. wkdblc52 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:15 AM

Namath, Maynard, Ewbank, and Klecko

25. davidschap says: Jun 19, 2013 1:21 AM

Fireman Ed is a joke. How this guy gets publicity is beyond me.

26. winninitall says: Jun 19, 2013 7:50 AM

I don’t understand why Revis is on this list, but where is Matt Snell?

27. dynaco says: Jun 19, 2013 7:56 AM

Simply follow the rings.

28. zeke2517 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:23 AM

“Why should the Jets Mt. Rushmore include the one fan that taught the entire fans base how to spell?”

Oooooh that almost would have been funny if you hadn’t written “fans base.”

Proofread, friends.

29. kingdm8 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:54 AM

Namath – crappy stats, hilariously funny drunken ESPN Monday Night Football appearance, but a superstar of his day and one of the most famous players of all time.
    Klecko – quite possibly the most underrated defender of all time, plus I loved his cameo as a dump truck driver in Smokey and the Bandit.
    Maynard- How many team receiving records did he hold when he retired? I’m pretty sure it was all of them.
    Curtis Martin – One of the best backs in history. Easy call.

30. Savage Lizard says: Jun 19, 2013 12:07 PM

I could do without these “super fans” that think everyone is there to see them. Fireman Ed, the transvestite pigs in Washington, and half of the stadium in Oakland. I don’t know when a football game became Halloween, but being desperately starved for attention and hoping to get on TV doesn’t equate to being a better fan than anyone else.

31. fryeways says: Jun 19, 2013 2:55 PM

Martin
    Gastineau
    Revis
    Namath.

Moving on…

32. freepretzels says: Jun 19, 2013 3:25 PM

Its a shame I can’t say Dennis Byrd.

33. mschurm1 says: Jun 20, 2013 2:25 AM

Ewbank
    Gastineau
    Klecko
    Namath

34. njgiantsfan says: Jun 20, 2013 9:16 AM

Gastineau. Biggest self promoter of all time. The only reason he got all those sacks was because teams were double teaming Klecko.

35. hidden202 says: Jun 20, 2013 12:33 PM

Wayne Chrebet?
    Shaun Ellis?

36. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 20, 2013 7:16 PM

They need one? For why?

37. jayscarpa says: Jun 21, 2013 1:59 PM

Matt Snell

38. reprocity says: Jun 21, 2013 5:31 PM

Aaron Glenn
    Wayne Chrebet
    Curtis Martin
    Don Maynard

For those bashing Namath’s stats you need to compare them to the other QB’s of HIS era not todays!

39. channer81 says: Jun 21, 2013 7:31 PM

No one hated fireman Ed when the Jets were winning. He said he quit going to games late in the seasons due to the constant confrontations he had with dumb troll fans as the losing progressed and he would wear Sanchez jerseys. Probably trying to make a name for themselves at his expense.

40. joshsorensen34 says: Jun 22, 2013 9:21 AM

Favre
    Sanchez
    Tebow
    O’Donell

41. jerseyspider says: Jun 22, 2013 9:23 AM

Most long time season ticket holders, such as myself, can not stand Fireman Ed. The sorry bastard looks like he has a chromosome mutation.

He ripped off the J-E-T chant. It took the imbecile years to learn that you do not chant while the Jets are on offense.

42. sexpanther85 says: Jun 22, 2013 1:25 PM

I’m glad I’m a GIANTS fan.

43. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 22, 2013 2:22 PM

sexpanther85 says: Jun 22, 2013 1:25 PM

I’m glad I’m a GIANTS fan.

————

You said it.

44. lagg1 says: Jun 24, 2013 4:09 PM

Eight years ago when Herm Edwards coached the team, I along with others attended a game at the old Giants Stadium. The Ravens won in OT but after the game the fans were really cordial. They respected us for coming up to support our team. To tell you the truth, I was shocked. I say this because I saw Fireman Ed that day and he really got the house going and shaking. Every stadium has a Fireman Ed. I hope he comes back. The NFL needs him. He and others like him are part of the game. There are other good fans in the league (not in Washington)-for example Nashville, Carolina, Yes even in Philly (that town gets a bad rap) that I have met that are part of the gameday experience.

45. americasteamthenewyorkfootballgiants says: Jun 24, 2013 8:17 PM

Didnt think this was possible but the Jaguars had a more impressive list

46. toonloonboon says: Jun 24, 2013 10:45 PM

I got a story about the power and fame of being a football player. I remember wayne chrebet and keith elias (you’ll have to look him up, he had a very brief nfl career with the giants) both walked into a club in NJ during their heyday (a club later made famous by the jersey shore) and the place went nuts. almost every girl in the club rushed to where the “football players” were. and this was wayne chrebet and keith elias. not exactly jerry rice and marcus allen.

47. toonloonboon says: Jun 24, 2013 10:54 PM

lagg1 says: Jun 24, 2013 4:09 PM

reply:
    you are an idiot.

1. eagles fans do NOT get a bad rap. They are as advertised. the fans there (I live 15 minutes from their stadium) enjoy the reputation and continue to try and live up to it. u cant paint an entire fan base with one brush stroke but generally speaking, they are people who are VERY MUCH AWARE of their national reputation and they wear it like a badge of honor and try to keep it up if only just to continue to have that national perspective. ive got several sickening individual stories I could tell you about.

2. Washington fans are actually very nice. yes, there is one single idiot on here named logicalvoice but he’s just a piece of garbage and doesn’t even count. there are a lot of families at redskin games, a bit of an older crowd, they’ve had their season tickets for generations. their are a TON of 20 something guys at eagles games who are there looking to start fights (or gang up and tip a packers’ fan car over in the parking lot – yeah, I watched that one happen.)

3. and jet fans…don’t get me started. while we’ve all heard the stories of a couple of fans taking a leak on Gastineau’s girlfriend at the time in the stadium, there’s many more garbage stories. no, the nfl doesn’t NEED the fireman. why? they don’t need him. every fan (CUSTOMER) is replaceable.

48. dennis2488 says: Jun 25, 2013 12:12 AM

mo lewis has to be. the guy sealed their fate as pathetic losers and changed the patriots from pathetic losers to one of the great franchises in sports history.

49. sbjnyc says: Jun 26, 2013 4:10 PM

These are the guys that represent the true history of my team.

Johnny “Lam” Jones
    Rich Kotite
    Blair Thomas
    Vernon Gholston

Leon Hess may not have been a great owner but he was good to the STHs. Woody Johnson has been a disaster, unless you have a 7+ digit bank account.

That said, I voted

Joe Namath
    Don Maynard (neither of which I saw play)
    Joe Klecko
    Curtis Martin

50. whatjusthapped says: Jun 26, 2013 5:11 PM

Leon Hess did more to ruin the Jets than Matt Millen did to screw the Lions, and that’s really saying something.