Trading or cutting Hester would be easy, cheap for Bears

Getty Images

If Devin Hester is “competing” to be the primary return man for the Bears, there’s a chance he’ll lose the competition.

Which means there’s a chance he’ll lose his job.

If the Bears decide to make a change, it would be simple to accomplish for a cap standpoint.  Hester is in the final year of his contract, at a base salary of $1.857 million.  With or without him on the roster, the Bears will carry a bonus proration of $833,335, according to a source with knowledge of the terms of the deal.  He also has earned a workout bonus of $250,000 (assuming he participated in the requisite number of offseason sessions).

As a result, trading Hester or cutting him would clear his $1.857 million from the Bears’ books, with no further acceleration or charge beyond the $1.083 million in bonuses that already apply.

Presumably, the Bears would prefer to trade Hester, if they choose not to keep him.  By trading him, the Bears can control where he lands.  Or, more accurately, where he doesn’t land.  After giving the other teams in the NFC North fits since 2006, one of them surely would be interested in giving Hester a chance, twice this year, to stick it to the Bears.

57 responses to “Trading or cutting Hester would be easy, cheap for Bears

1. Remember when the Packers took the Halas trophy from the Bears on Soldier field while Jay Cutler pedaled his exercise bike along the sideline?

That was cool.

2. The Bears also have Weems who is a pretty good return man himself. It will come down to whether Hester is worth a roster spot just to return kicks.

3. Trade him.. Cut him.. but dont keep
    him. Hester has been over paid for the last 3 seasons atleast. Plus Hester is a Lovie Lover. Emery should find the best trade deal he can and make a deal

4. I think journalists misread what John Mullin wrote.
    Trestman doesn’t want to say “Cutler is a franchise qb” nor automatically give the job to Hester.
    He wants them to constantly be hungry and always working towards winning their respective jobs.
    If you read Trestman’s book, you’d understand this.

He is the opposite of Lovie’s “Rex is our qb”

So, IMO, read between the lines. Its Hester’s job to lose and not “Hester may be cut”

5. I’d take him on the Rams in a heart beat. Let him be the return guy and keep Tavon Austin healthy as a reciever and coming out of the backfield. I’d put them both back there on kicks though, scare the heck out of opposing special teams.

6. If the Bears want to get rid of him, I’m sure the Patriots would love to have him…he’d be a fit in the slot and would provide a much-needed boost in the return game, something the Patriots haven’t had in years

7. The new kick-off rules were the start of Hester’s decline. He is still a threat as a punt returner but unfortunately that’s all. He made Bears games fun and exciting to watch but that time has come and gone. Time for the Bears to move on.

8. If this move would translate into enough cap room to sign… hmm say Vonta Leach… It could make a lot sense.

As a lifelong Bear fan, watching Devin Hester has certainly been exciting, to say the least.

I’ll never forget the game against the Cardinals in 2006 when Hester returned a punt for a touchdown to give the Bears the lead and a 6-0 record.

Rex Grossman gets no credit for this one.
    “I’ve never played so bad and won a game like that,” said the Bears quarterback, who threw four interceptions and lost two fumbles. “It was unbelievable.”

“The Bears are who we thought they were… AND WE LET EM OFF THE HOOK!”

Best of luck to Hester whatever happens, it sure would be strange to see him in another uniform.

9. @filthymcnasty1:

Remember when Green Bay went 15-1 in the regular season, then lost in the first round of the playoffs?

That was cooler.

10. Hester’s return skills have been in decline over the past couple of years. His best days are behind him. He’s been great, infact, arguably, the best ever. You don’t move forward into the future, living on the past. He still has some value, more to a few particular teams. The time to move him and receive something in return for him is now, not when his talents have eroded like they’re going to do. It’s time to move on without Hester. Just as the Bears are doing without Urlacher. That’s the nature of the beast!

11. this sounds like another blatant case of WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!! 1st urlacher now hester icon has turned to icont in the eyes of the bears front office and while it seems to be happening to most teams it doesn’t make it any less sad IMO

12. Why would we want him in Minnesota? He never played for the Packers!? Sheesh.

Hmm. Cordarrelle Patterson or Devin Hester… tough decision there.

13. garyhd01 says: Jun 18, 2013 11:40 AM

“This sounds like another blatant case of WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!! 1st urlacher now hester icon has turned to icont in the eyes of the bears front office and while it seems to be happening to most teams it doesn’t make it any less sad IMO.”

The Bears offered Urlacher a fair deal, which HE chose to turn down…Hester is in a good spot to win the Bears KR job…Two different situations, and in neither case have the Bears treated anyone unfairly.

14. chi01town says:
    Jun 17, 2013 4:59 PM
    what ever happened too ” next man up” oops I guess cheesebay ran out of players to turn they back on. Now the good players dont wanna go to cheesebay because they know how they will get treated

chi01town says:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:48 AM
    Trade him.. Cut him.. but dont keep

—–

You must be so proud, Larry.

15. All or most Kickers did change how they kicked to Hester last year. He is still respected by opposing special teams, and he should win out his position.
    On the other side, that is a lot of money to pay a kick returner. Emery is looking for cap space, and Trestman is not stupid. If he has no value, he will be gone.
    Good luck Hester.

16. larryboodry says:
    Jun 18, 2013 11:12 AM
    @filthymcnasty1:

That was cooler.

—–

That was also not accurate.

The Packers had a bye in the first round of the Playoffs.

17. NFC NORTH
    2012 champs: Green Bay Packers
    Likeliest threat in 2013: Chicago Bears

Why Chicago?

The Bears and Minnesota Vikings are pretty tight. Chicago’s defense is stronger, as is its receiving corps (for now). Going further, the Vikes just can’t expect Adrian Peterson to rack up 2K again, and Christian Ponder certainly is no Jay Cutler — at least not yet. So Chicago gets the vote here as Green Bay’s toughest challenger. Of course, the Bears’ offensive line is still a work in progress. And the defense lost its sideline leader (former defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli) and on-field general (retired linebacker Brian Urlacher). Would love your thoughts, RE: CHI vs. MIN … @Harrison_NFL is the place.

18. Allow me to rephrase my earlier comment:

“Remember when Green Bay went 15-1 in the regular season, then lost their first playoff game?”

You cheeseheads are so picky…But semantics aside, most folks on here knew exactly what I meant.

Go Bears!

19. ponderthedumpoffking says:

“You must be so proud, Larry.”

I am proud of my team, and supportive of my fellow Bears fans, even when we disagree…The biggest issue I ever had with chi01town was a while back when he somehow misread one of my posts and falsely accused me of hating Cutler and being a Packer fan.

20. @ososrule:

I agree 100%…Bears have the better QB, defense, o-line, and TE…Also better WRs. MN has AP, Jared Allen, and…uh…a redesigned Heidi logo. The Vikes will finish 3rd. in the North this year.

21. Ah.

So the you’ll agree with Chi01town that the Packers are Terri or to their players while Chicago always takes care of their players, past and present; being loyal and giving them what they want.

(Cough, URLACHER, cough)

22. @larryboodry

Yea man! 82 days until the new Offense is revealed!

Keep on hating packers fans…… Vikings fans are hilarious, what the heck gives a Viking fan room to say anything, you pretty purple uniforms??? You will all pay dearly for the consistent trolling all off season. Prepare to insert foot in mouth.

23. As for Urlacher, he received a fair offer from the Bears and turned it down.

You really should do something about that cough.

24. And while I have always prided myself on my ability to understand the written word, I have absolutely no idea what “So the you’ll agree with Chi01town that the Packers are Terri or to their players…” means.

25. @ponderthedumpoffking:

I said I am supportive of my fellow Bears even if we sometimes disagree…Sorry if you took that to mean I agree with everything that other Bears fans post.

26. @ponderthedumpoffking
    I dont need Larryboodry to rubber stamp any post I make. the schedule this season will tell the tale of whom has the best team in the north. last year is gone so save the numbers

27. larryboodry says:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:43 PM
    Allow me to rephrase my earlier comment:

Go Bears! —————————————————————————————————————————————————- so when was the last time the bears went 15 and 1? you can bring up losing in the playoff’s all you want. didn’t the bears have a chance to knock the packers out of the playoff’s, then after failing to do so they lost to them in the N.F.C. championship game a few weeks later??? sorry it’s gonna be a long time til the bears live that down. ps why the hell was this under the packers anyway? they don’t want hester…

28. viking’s will take him! if they can get any professional football players on offense other than AP. they will get excited! skol my nuts

29. @vikescry1:

The only reason this had anything to do with the Packers is because YOUR resident troll ‘filthymcnasty1’ came on a Bears thread (imagine that) to talk trash. My comment was in reply to him and ‘ponderthedumpoffking.’

If you don’t like me defending myself (or my team), tell THEM to stay the hell off Bears threads.

30. Oh, and the last time the Bears went 15-1 they won the SB, unlike your team…And that Bears team from ’85 would have wiped the floor with your current team.

Not that any of that matters now, or what happened in 2010…Only this coming season matters, and it is my humble opinion that GB’s recent dominance of the North will end sooner rather than later.

31. Auto correct, Larry… auto correct.

But anyway, Chi01town is worse than any Packer troll. You have to agree.

The reason: Packers “trolls” know football and talk knowledgeable smack. Chi01town knows less about football than your average 3 year old.

32. I pretty sure vikescry1 is mildly retarded. Anyway the last time the Bears went 15-1 we won the Superbowl……When is the last time the Vikings won the Superbowl? Never.

Viking’s fans are Green Bay’s fans try hards…..

33. smartestpackerfan says:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:34 PM
    We went 15-1 once so we are better than all of you! It’s not like we lost in the our first playoff game.

—–

Did the Vikings ever go 15-1?

I really don’t know, nor do I care. Because it didn’t lead to a Super Bowl win.

Whoopsie!

34. @ponder…king:

Most Packer fans – like most Bears fans – do know their football, and we are all justifiably proud of our respective teams.

“But anyway, Chi01town is worse than any Packer troll. You have to agree.”

I do? Have you forgotten filthymcnasty1? He posts smack on almost every Bears thread, but I never see him sharing his football knowledge, or even speaking constructively on any Packers-related subjects.

That said, he and chi01town both talk smack, but at least chi01town does so out of passion for the Bears. The endless smack from filthy is not passion for his team so much as it is real hatred of the Bears and their fans…To me, that’s worse.

JMHO.

35. Geez! Let the guy play this year. He hasn’t had a chance to acclimate himself to his rightful position in real game-situations. If he doesn’t work out, trade him next year.

36. @ponder…

Sometimes he is over-the-top, but to be honest I think he’s toned it down some recently…And I have never seen him insult your entire fanbase the way filthy does ours…I’m not whining here, ’cause I enjoy the hell out of sparring with him and tokyo, and debating with fans like you who are more reasonable about the rivalry.

37. Am I really reading users say Eric Weens would be a better candidate than Devin? Are you crazy? Hester is an all around athlete. Clearly he hasn’t really excelled in receiving or (if you remember) being a defensive back. But his speed and eyes are what we need as our main special teams return guy. Lets face it we all know he isn’t quite the intelligent guy but I feel since all his focus will be special teams like 2006 how many returns did he have that year again? Look it up. This is a break through season for Hester. Ill put my money on 2 Kick off returns and 3 punt returns this upcoming season.

38. @ponder:

Dude proved me wrong on another thread, insulting your entire fanbase even as he praised your team for its toughness…So never mind.

39. I don’t understand you guys. Any player in the nfl will say hester is special and to be feared. Now he will have all that burst energy with no longer wasting it on the field at WR. Besides if any of you antihest haters look at out avg field pos with him back there compared to other teams. Even the last 3 years. You won’t have much to say.

40. I think for what we owe Devin financially we need to see what he has to offer as a special teamer only. If he is not the player he use to be then we have to cut ties. Devin has given every bears fans some big highs and some lows. Devin has earned the right to dictate his own future with this team if he is producing on the field. If he is not producing then Emery needs to find a way to make Devins roster spot productive. If Devin is not producing and he keeps his roster spot..Then Emery gets the blame.