Justin Smith excited for chance to go out on his “own terms”

Justin Smith Getty Images

The two-year contract extension that defensive end Justin Smith signed with the 49ers is likely to be the final contract that the 33-year-old signs in the NFL.

“Justin’s All-Pro contributions on the field, as well as his leadership on and off the field, are integral to our success as a team,” 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke said in a statement from the team. “Justin consistently sets a standard of excellence, serving as an example for everyone within our organization. This contract allows Justin to finish his career as a 49er!”

Smith said Wednesday that the fact that the 49ers shared his desire to continue their relationship made negotiations on the extension easy. Smith, who served as his own agent during talks with the team, is excited that things have worked out so that he’ll be able to finish his career with San Francisco.

“A chance to go out on your own terms,” Smith said, via Taylor Price of the team’s website. “I never dreamed that would happen, so I’m pumped about that.”

Smith went further on the topic of going out on his own terms, saying that he wasn’t going to be the kind of player who hangs around to play something less than a lead role on the defensive line.

“That’s not going to happen,” Smith said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. “I’ve said that, I meant that — I won’t be the guy that’s around for 10 snaps, 20 snaps. It’s either,I’m going or I’m not going. If I get my ass out here, I’m going.”

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Justin Smith excited for chance to go out on his “own terms””
  1. breakingb says: Jun 19, 2013 2:43 PM

Matt Ryan is shocked!

2. 1phd says: Jun 19, 2013 2:44 PM

Justin Smith aka Cowboy is the perfect role model for all NFL players. Congratulations sir, well deserved!

3. ninerfan81 says: Jun 19, 2013 2:44 PM

Awesome, its rare vets get the opportunity to do this.

4. pop562 says: Jun 19, 2013 2:45 PM

Justin Smith will retire as a 49er.

5. jm91rs says: Jun 19, 2013 2:48 PM

1phd says: Jun 19, 2013 2:44 PM

___________________________________

Except when he beat the crap out of his girlfriend back in Cincinnati, but yeah, other than that I’m sure he’s a good guy.

6. razzmatazzcomics says: Jun 19, 2013 2:55 PM

jm91rs says:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:48 PM
    1phd says: Jun 19, 2013 2:44 PM

___________________________________

———————————————-

At least he didn’t shoot her in the face.

7. makimaguro says: Jun 19, 2013 3:02 PM

Tough to find someone who plays harder than him from down to down.

8. harbaughownspete says: Jun 19, 2013 3:02 PM

Suck it Cheathawk fans i seen so many on here saying there were happy it was his last year with the team… lol weaklings

9. akboots says: Jun 19, 2013 3:11 PM

Great job Justin

10. kuranda84 says: Jun 19, 2013 3:11 PM

Good for him and the 9ers. You’re going to need him to beat those Seahawks.

11. logicailvoicesays says: Jun 19, 2013 3:30 PM

Tough breaks for a good player like Justin Smith that he never got a chance to play for the Redskins. He’d have been able to retire with several Super Bowl rings if he was a Redskin. If he could join the Redskins today, he’d be a useful role player and backup for them.

12. dirtysouthniner says: Jun 19, 2013 3:31 PM

I wanna be a cowboy baby!! Good for you justin I’m glad that helicoptor tour kept you here

13. mmsierra says: Jun 19, 2013 3:42 PM

Great Move !!

14. mmsierra says: Jun 19, 2013 3:43 PM

Next up……Crabtree !! Thanks, Trent Baalke !!

15. sonoco says: Jun 19, 2013 3:54 PM

jm91rs says: Jun 19, 2013 2:48 PM

************************

Never heard this before . . . ever. Link? All I’ve ever read is that he married his college sweetheart from Missouri while in Cincy.

16. jwil007 says: Jun 19, 2013 4:24 PM

good motor guy and physical but he never fit in a 4-3 in cincy…He was more a 3-4 defensive end..But a good guy all around…. Glad he can go out on his own terms… Thx for playing hard for us Justin when we were HORRIBLE…..Good luck to ya

17. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 19, 2013 4:54 PM

bullspit he couldn’t hack it in a 4-3

if you have 4 Justin Smiths across a 4-3 front,
    that defense would be sick.

if you have 3 Justing smith’s playing across a 3-4 that defense is sick..

justin smith makes the LB’s look way better than they are.

18. hess97 says: Jun 19, 2013 4:55 PM

I’ve never seen a more dominant playoff push by one defensive player as Justin’s performance against NO and NYG two years ago. too bad Bradshaw’s fumble was ruled down, because his play could have become something of legend. on a side note, I laugh everytime a runner breaks a tackle. because by Hoculi’s nfc championship ruling, that player should be down as soon as he’s wrapped up. seems like the giants got lucky to have a one in a thousand call favoring the player immediately being down.
    #ninersscrewedtwoseasonsinarow

19. EJ says: Jun 19, 2013 5:08 PM

Straight forward, no BS.

20. hess97 says: Jun 19, 2013 5:15 PM

maybe in retrospect they should take away the Eli to tyree super bowl play because the play should have been down behind the scrimmage line. I guess the pats really won it that year.

21. golfore says: Jun 19, 2013 5:16 PM

Whine and cheese. If only Bradshaw’s play was called a fumble. If only there was pass interference on Crabtree…..

22. historyisyourfriend says: Jun 19, 2013 5:23 PM

I’m not a 49ers fan, but this guy is a monster when healthy and creates havoc on the field. 49ers will definitely be a force for the next couple years as long as his health stays good.

*Aldon Smith’s career just trended upwards*

23. nkybengalsfan says: Jun 19, 2013 5:36 PM

Errr I mean you would think he fit perfect in a 4-3 def

24. idriveamoped says: Jun 19, 2013 5:56 PM

Still one of the worst decisions by the Bengals to let him go, Im still at wonder over that one. Everyone was like “he never gets to the Qb” he only leads the team in tackles because he tackles them 5 years after the LOS.

In the long run Justin Smith got the last laugh. You cant underestimate a players ability to never give up. This guy just never stops. 110% every play everyday.

25. ringwormsherm says: Jun 19, 2013 6:47 PM

As a Hawks fan, I definitely respect this guys game. 100% all game. After all he’s the reason his brother from another mother had such a good season.

26. briank1ne says: Jun 19, 2013 9:24 PM

Justin smith is an animal. I mean the guy just bullrushes you and there’s nothing you can do. He’s that strong. He’s def the reason that the running defense for the Niners is so sick.

27. dirk504 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:11 PM

Congrats Justin Smith! Definitely one of my fav Niners!

28. baymac408 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:33 PM

This is great news Niner fans!! He is the piece of D that makes the pedal to the motor go!!! And go hard! GO NINERS

29. jm91rs says: Jun 20, 2013 2:15 PM

jm91rs says: Jun 19, 2013 2:48 PM

************************

42 1

———————————————————

You won’t find a link. I don’t know why but it never made the press. She was in a wheel chair due to a neck problem for a little while. I’ve met her a few times and while she won’t talk about it I’ve had some drinks with her lawyer and he seems happy to tell the story.