Pollard doesn’t care about reaction to his “kill” comments

Pollard AP

In the post-bounty NFL, players and coaches aren’t supposed to say publicly the stuff they undoubtedly scream privately.  Titans safety Bernard Pollard didn’t get the memo.  Or he doesn’t care.

Bet the latter.

I don’t care what they have to say,” Pollard said regarding those who may criticize him for using such blunt language, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.  “If they feel like we’re going to carry guns and knives and try and stab people and try and kill them, shame on you. You are an idiot.  For us, when we say kill, we want to go out there and knock the [heck] out of people, we want to hit you.  And for me, we’re going to help you up because I’m going to knock you back down.  I have been at plenty of pee-wee football games where I have seen my son, my daughter, and you hear parents, you hear women, white, black, Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese, telling their sons, ‘Kill them! Telling their daughters, Kill them!’

“Do I believe they mean kill them?  Literally kill them?  No.  So if you have never played this game before and you want to take that and run with it, go ahead.  Shame on you.  You’re a fool.”

Some would say Pollard is the fool for so brazenly using the kind of tough talk that underscored the one-year banishment of former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who coincidentally now works for the Titans.  The bounty scandal has driven “kill”-type comments out of the NFL mainstream, prompting strong reactions in those rare situations where, for example, Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray refers to firing up the “Gator Truck” or Bills defensive lineman Mario Williams says that he always hears defensive coordinator Mike Pettine say “Kill ‘em or hurt ‘em,” one day before saying Williams has actually never heard that.

Pollard’s defiance almost guarantees that he’ll hear from the league office, where Commissioner Roger Goodell is striving to make the game safer.  Or to at least make the game appear safer.

“I really don’t care what the Commissioner is doing,” Pollard said.  “I don’t think he has ever played football, he has never played in the National Football League and he has never walked in my shoes.  And I haven’t walked in his either.  I don’t know what he has to say about me, and to be perfectly honest, I don’t care what he has to say about me.  I know that we have to have that mentality to play the game. You have to be [ticked] off, and you have to do some things to [tick] other people off. . . .  If you don’t like that, I’m sorry for you.  We’re not going to change, and we’re not going to apologize.”

Of course, Pollard is the same guy who declared that the NFL will be gone in 30 years, presumably due in large part to the mentality he so fiercely embraces.  The end result is the kind of maddening inconsistency that helps explain why Pollard has bounced from team to team (to team to team) during his career.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
89 Responses to “Pollard doesn’t care about reaction to his “kill” comments”
  1. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 19, 2013 9:29 PM

Does this mean that Sean Payton is going to get suspended again?

2. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:30 PM

Good. Finally someone who isn’t politically correct.

3. btd5504 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:34 PM

I love these comments. Political correctness is for suckers.

4. ravensbob says: Jun 19, 2013 9:35 PM

Ravens will miss that swagger but not the personal foul penalties.

5. orndorf2 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:37 PM

Perfect, this bozo is everything the league tried to make the Saints players. Lol. All of a sudden “pay me my money, Favre is out” doesn’t sound so bad.

6. tjacks7 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:41 PM

Kudos Bernard Pollard!!

7. mj1783 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:41 PM

8. jtfawver says: Jun 19, 2013 9:42 PM

Good for pollard!! The media tries to turn every little thing into a story

9. jason1980 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:42 PM

Rock on Bernard! The NFL is NOT the KGB, you are allowed to say whatever you want too.

10. bobbob1eye says: Jun 19, 2013 9:43 PM

I wish Pollard was the Commish…

11. germanstingray says: Jun 19, 2013 9:44 PM

It’s fine the Pollard likes to play tough. Unfortunately for him, the fact is that that he’s a liability on the field. He draws too many penalties and get burned by opposing receivers.

12. jolink653 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:44 PM

As a Patriots fan, I hate Bernard Pollard, but I definitely respect him for standing behind what he said…I’m so tired of people scrambling to apologize every time someone gets offended…we all know what he meant

13. egomaniac247 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:46 PM

FINALLY someone explains the concept of common sense.

Major respect to him for calling them on their stupidity.

I’ll solidify the respect if he doesn’t get “PR’ed” and issue an apology tomorrow.

14. psuravens19 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:46 PM

Really going to miss him in Baltimore….

15. horntoady says: Jun 19, 2013 9:47 PM

Bernard hasn’t met Vladimir Putin and Kraft’s SB ring yet.

16. showtyme34 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:48 PM

Who thought Bernard Pollard would be the voice of reason. People use “kill” in all sports. Hasn’t anyone heard of a team blowing out another team in baseball and saying “It was great, we killed them”?

People need to grow up and not take everything so literal!

17. Stiller43 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:48 PM

Good for him. Its sports. You use things like “lets kill those F wads!!!”

If the PC police doesnt want to hear it, they dont have to watch sports.

18. bux1022 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:51 PM

Kill everything!! This is god damn football!

19. titansbro says: Jun 19, 2013 9:51 PM

Is it wrong that I’m loving this?

20. bbwasright says: Jun 19, 2013 9:51 PM

Wow! This guy is the defensive equivalent of TO. He just doesn’t know when to shut up, so he will continue to be a story during a slow news cycle. He is too stupid to understand he’s being punked by those who interview him, and so we keep reading about him!

21. bookofelisha10 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:52 PM

“Pollard doesn’t care about reaction to his “kill” comments”

___

you should change this headline to read “NOONE except this site, God-ell, and uppty Dbags care about his kill comments,”

i mean if you think hes actually going to kill someone or trying to kill another player you need to just stop all communication with the world and leave sane people alone

so sensitive

22. blueballz77 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:53 PM

people are so damn sensitive. His comments are fine.Same people complaining are the same people who want to ban dogdeball and not choose side cus it hurts feelings enough already

23. mancave001 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:54 PM

I must say…well done. He explained it perfectly and told all the politically correct crybabies to go to h***. He’s 100% correct.

24. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:56 PM

God bless Bernard “crushboy” Pollard. This has been the most refreshing article I have read in some time. His quotes were a thing of beauty. The part about “Ol’ Roger boy” was the icing , and o my… , the part where he actually had the balls to say who cares , he’s not taking anything back was the cherry. It was a reminder that The Mighty Emporer does have limit to his reach. Now all Pollard needs to do is address the London issue and ill really miss him in purple . I like how the media gets mad when they try to dictate what or how a player should act , and then if the player rebels , they try to demonize thus player. Such hypocrites….. If the loquacious, colorful,and intimidating Pollard would have been the type to not say much at all throughout his career, I contend that we probably wouldn’t even know Pollard’s name but now since he uses those same attributes to illustrate his case ” he’s being defiant or a fool” I say keep being who you are Pollard regardless if “idiots” can’t decipher reality from fantasy# theybuildyoutotearyoudown#

25. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 19, 2013 9:59 PM

Pollard absolutely nailed it. Football is not for everyone. If you have delicate sensibilities, go watch one of those old “Chip and Dale” cartoons – where each episode focuses on exaggerated politeness and apologies.

26. wfmulder says: Jun 19, 2013 9:59 PM

mj1783 says:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:41 PM
    ———————————————————————————–

Actions please. You make a statement such as that, back it up with real evidence, not that nonsense the league called evidence.

2009 – 2011 the saints were in the bottom half of the league for penalties, bottom 2 for personal fouls.

2009 only San Diego had less players hurt against them.

If that was a bounty they were horrible at it.

But please, do share why actions they so fiendishly and devilishly perpetrated that they deserved what they did.

27. camdenyard says: Jun 19, 2013 10:02 PM

Harbs was right to dump him. Big mouth, horrible coverage skills.

28. breakingb says: Jun 19, 2013 10:02 PM

OMG! Matt Ryan is shocked!!

29. sminco123 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:03 PM

Bravo, Mr Pollard, bravo!

30. iam6thatthatiam says: Jun 19, 2013 10:03 PM

Stupid writer thats not why he bounces around. Smh!!! Its not because he speaks his mind. I WANT A GUY LIKE THAT ON MY TEAM. Kill em!!! People pay hard earned good money not to see pop warner!!! Screw Roger. Thats why they get paid Millions!

31. macdaddyspeed says: Jun 19, 2013 10:10 PM

Right on. I don’t see anything wrong with Pollard’s comments. Basically, if you don’t like the words, don’t read the words. Hopefully Mr. Pollard is not “forced” to retract and apologize.

32. robgilman says: Jun 19, 2013 10:10 PM

Aaron Hernandez took it literally

33. thesteelers says: Jun 19, 2013 10:11 PM

Pollard will be cut — again by the season’s end.

34. ausernamethatisavailable says: Jun 19, 2013 10:12 PM

I agree with pollard. Unfortunately there are quite a bit of fools in this country and the nfl wants their money just as bad as they want anybody else’s.

35. fryeways says: Jun 19, 2013 10:14 PM

He’s right and it’s not even that it’s anti-PC. Sports culture is, and has always been, a healthy place for humans to channel aggression and its rhetoric. Totally agree that you are a fool to take it literally. And I’m a Patriots fan who watched this man “kill” Brady, Welker, Gronk and Ridley.

36. PriorKnowledge says: Jun 19, 2013 10:15 PM

“If they feel like we’re going to carry guns and knives and try and stab people and try and kill them, shame on you. You are an idiot. …”

I love it! About time!

37. 69finfan says: Jun 19, 2013 10:16 PM

Lighten up there Francis!

38. mayday5 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:19 PM

Noone over 5’s taking those words literally

39. tinbender2000 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:19 PM

Using Pollard’s own words to describe him, “you’re a fool”. You see, the NFL is going to “kill” your paycheck, and they don’t care. They aren’t really going to kill it, just drop it down to zero for awhile, fool.

40. dbones750 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:21 PM

My new favorite player. This guy says the things I wish I had the platform to promote. Complaining and whining doesn’t have to be the way for everything. Obviously, if you’re in business or a lawyer, whining’s what it’s all about. Doesn’t work that way with police work or the military. Didn’t work on American gladiators or the real WWF, and it shouldn’t work in football!!!

41. steelerofthedraft says: Jun 19, 2013 10:24 PM

Preach !
    Living in Baltimore I heard pollard weekly filling in for Ladarius Webb on his player show on 105.7 the fan while Webb was hurt , the man is a stand up guy who doesn’t sugar coat anything , he is a real football player and the titans are lucky to have him , big ups to you pollard . Sometimes I didn’t like the way his emotions came out during a game but he is a gritty football player !

42. soundsofsuccess7 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Haha, I like this guy a lot now.

43. scandiman says: Jun 19, 2013 10:27 PM

Way to go Bernard! If you get flack for this, I hope you tell the Comish exactly what you think. You speak of behalf of the many voices that have been suppressed in this PC age!

Speak truth to power, man!

44. cags777 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:29 PM

I like Bernard Pollard tenacity. I just hope for his sake that he doesn’t get taken out via a bounty and then try to sue the NFL later. It’s something I definitely see players like Jonathan Vilma and Will Smith doing after they retire.

45. thesteelers says: Jun 19, 2013 10:29 PM

jason1980 says:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:42 PM
    ___________________________________

We’ll see what the first fine has to say about that.

46. skinsaphrenic says: Jun 19, 2013 10:34 PM

First admendment is a right. Pollard is right. @robgilmore is right.

47. thesteelers says: Jun 19, 2013 10:48 PM

The KGB isn’t as bad as the CIA/NSA apparently.

48. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 19, 2013 10:48 PM

So, let me get this straight… Pollard said “kill” as in “kill ‘em”… He has a contract, so he’s getting paid to do this. How is this not a bounty?

And why is everybody rooting for his mentality, but when the Saints essentially did/said the same thing, they were villains.

Players aren’t the only ones sending confusing messages. Judging by the posts supporting Pollard, its ok as long as you like the team/player.

They’re all getting paid to hit as hard as they can. They all talk trash. Same-same.

49. cmdrsmooth says: Jun 19, 2013 10:48 PM

Really…now media is dissecting every word…”Come On Man!!!!”

50. ringwormsherm says: Jun 19, 2013 10:55 PM

This guy is awesome! Reminds me of Sherman. Speak your mind and let the critics fume!

51. Stiller43 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:56 PM

“I really don’t care what the Commissioner is doing,” Pollard said. “I don’t think he has ever played football, he has never played in the National Football League and he has never walked in my shoes. And I haven’t walked in his either. I don’t know what he has to say about me, and to be perfectly honest, I don’t care what he has to say about me. I know that we have to have that mentality to play the game. You have to be [ticked] off, and you have to do some things to [tick] other people off. . . . If you don’t like that, I’m sorry for you. We’re not going to change, and we’re not going to apologize.”
    ________________________

He may be my 54th favorite player now (first 53 wear black and gold). Kudos pollard!!!

52. NOLA in Focus says: Jun 19, 2013 10:57 PM

@ wfmulder Stop trying to use facts when combatting biased morons. You waste your breath.

53. bmore44 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:57 PM

Miss him already. Lol

54. socialmediaisforgirls says: Jun 19, 2013 11:12 PM

I agree with Pollard. That term is obviously taken out of context when it comes to sports. No common sense in the media these days.

55. garrison1981 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:22 PM

I agree! I’ve played sports my whole life n n we’ve talked like that our whole life! I’ve had friends on other teams n remember saying” you know we’re gonna kill u guys tonight! It’s expression! Sports have been compared to War for ever! Just guns n knives are substituted for Touchdowns n tackles! Get of it people! Yes the bounties were different putting $$$ on knocking people out but this is stupid!

56. vaphinfan says: Jun 19, 2013 11:26 PM

Hes my new favorite player

57. pftrocks says: Jun 19, 2013 11:29 PM

Andre Waters, Wes Hopkins, Brian Dawkins, Jack Tatum , George Atkinson, Sean Taylor, Ronnie Lott, would be proud !
    Politically correct safeties dont play Lights Out like Pollard!

58. pamiho32332013 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:32 PM

He means “Kill” metaphorically, not literally. To literally kill someone was Ray Lewis’ job.

59. vincentbojackson says: Jun 19, 2013 11:35 PM

Just my luck, I drew Pollard and Pacman Jones in the “2013 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year” office pool.

60. norvturnersneck says: Jun 19, 2013 11:53 PM

Hyperbole anyone? Get over it!

61. lovetron says: Jun 20, 2013 12:00 AM

Your words are hurtful, Bernard! I will NOT see you at the pancake social on Saturday!

62. dretwann says: Jun 20, 2013 12:00 AM

He is the fool for thinking people think he meant it literally. The inference taken is that you are out to intentionally hurt someone. It isn’t a far fetched notion given his past and the man he is playing defense for. In the past, you might look pass his actions on the field resulting in injured player after player (about 1 for every year in the league right?). Now these statements put those injuries in a different light and makes it near impossible for him to deny he wasn’t intentionally trying to injure, even if he wasn’t. So, he is the fool.

63. grikes says: Jun 20, 2013 12:03 AM

As a Titans fan, I’ll just say – thank God Bernard is in Nashville. He brings a realistic, tough football attitude that’s been missing in Nashville for years.

64. bengalsfan20 says: Jun 20, 2013 12:40 AM

Good for him, finally someone who’s not afraid to say something honest and go against political correctness. Just gained a ton of respect for Pollard.

65. granadafan says: Jun 20, 2013 12:44 AM

I’m no tea bagger, but I have no problem with these comments. It’s friggin football for crissakes.

66. themackstrong says: Jun 20, 2013 1:08 AM

If any sports writers actually played athletics they would know this type of language is used all the time in competition and is clearly not the literal meaning. But hey its the off season, you can only post so much Hernendez updates per day.

67. saintjohnwhodat says: Jun 20, 2013 1:27 AM

Pc gone wild if you don’t like it, don’t understand the mentality of football don’t watch it its that simple this sport isn’t for everyone but its what everyone wishes they had

68. brootaltroof says: Jun 20, 2013 1:33 AM

Tom Brady just flinched. Hahahaha

69. bbwasright says: Jun 20, 2013 2:04 AM

Congrats, Florio! You flipped the switch, and all the brainless scum of the fanbase got emotionally erect! If any of these tough guys behind keyboards wakes up in the morning and actually reads what they wrote in front of their kids, they would be ashamed. But I guess that’s the great thing about the ability to shout your opinion out into the abyss: there is no reason to take responsibility for your words or act like this is the real world. But in the meantime, you sure appear to have an ugly following.

I love football, and I don’t want it to become some soft version of past glory. I love to see a good hard hit leveled by a skilled player. But any punk can put on his own body weight in pads and hit another guy. Pollard, like so many of his former teammates signed up to play defense because he likes to hit, and doesn’t like to get hit. That’s not tough, it’s pathetic. If he truly wanted to be tough and play hard-nosed game, he would never have complained about a WR hitting him from the blind side when he wasn’t looking. You want tough, watch those WRs who go up the middle and take a beating with a smile and never complain about it – guys like Welker and Johnson and Anquan Boldin.

Pollard is a punk who talks big. The only people who like that are punks and idiots who don’t get he’s pandering to their lowest instincts. Like I said, any idiot can put on a helmet, lower his head and run full speed into the ribs or knee of a defenseless player. That takes no skill, no brains, or even much athletic ability.

70. rooneyruleblues says: Jun 20, 2013 2:56 AM

Neither do we.

71. marcinhouston says: Jun 20, 2013 3:00 AM

Aaron Hernandez doesn’t even care if you do take it literally.

72. bayouranch says: Jun 20, 2013 4:16 AM

the commish is a guy the hasn’t played the game and will take it seriously, he is the FOOL you talk about, but us saints fans already know that.

73. sf944 says: Jun 20, 2013 4:42 AM

Pollard knocked out more players than the Saints. Period.

74. rahavort says: Jun 20, 2013 7:19 AM

For once I agree with Pollard. But he’s going to really have to work hard along with the rest of the Titans to go somewhere this season.

75. dcapettini says: Jun 20, 2013 7:24 AM

We loved him in Baltimore but it is obvious now why Ozzie got rid of him. This guy is a suspension, or worse, waiting to happen. He needs to look to Ed Reed, who feels much the same way but isn’t stupid enough to use inflammatory language and draw the league’s attention and embarrassment. They are just waiting now for him to even look like he is stepping out of line and they will come down on him.

76. JC says: Jun 20, 2013 7:59 AM

Good for him! Enough of this goody goody, love fest PC crap that this country keeps being forced into. If you say something, stick to it. It’s much better than releasing some fake apology that you only give because the media and few twitter people are outraged!!

77. sclement65 says: Jun 20, 2013 8:09 AM

Except idiot, the Saints never hurt anyone. They had the least personal fouls in the three year span they were supposed to have bounties.

78. t8ertot says: Jun 20, 2013 8:15 AM

Nation of Wimps

79. keylimelight says: Jun 20, 2013 8:16 AM

Judging by many of the comments, I’m not the only one who finds Pollards push-back downright refreshing.

The word kill is used in volleyball: killshot (a snipers term), it’s used by standup comedians: “I killed out there tonight”, it’s used by mechanics: kill the engine, etc.

There is no need to narrow the meaning of the word kill. People don’t die or get hurt every time the word kill is used.

Preach Pollard.

80. dannycollins2 says: Jun 20, 2013 9:18 AM

Pollards a veteran and needs act like one, we get the point but tone down the arrogance… And what Pee Wee football games his he going to ? They must be wild

81. nananatman says: Jun 20, 2013 9:43 AM

Yeah football players don’t carry guns or kill people, you know I wonder what Ray Lewis, OJ Simpson, Dante Stallworth think about the issue?

82. squared80 says: Jun 20, 2013 10:35 AM

The only thing worse than making a dumb comment is making a fake retraction and a fake apology, as we see time and time again. Like the anti-gay comments coming out of 49ers camp. If you were dumb enough to say something offensive to the media, don’t go back and tell everyone ‘I didn’t mean it’ or ‘I don’t believe in that.’

In all honesty, kudos for Pollard for staying the course.

83. robf2010 says: Jun 20, 2013 10:42 AM

“Completely agree with him. People shouldn’t take things so literally. Words are not what we need to be concerned with, the actions behind the words are what get you into trouble (New Orleans).”

You have it backwards. The Saints never injured anyone. Pollard did (Tom Brady). The Saints and their fans were railroaded.

84. sfm073 says: Jun 20, 2013 10:53 AM

He just became my new favorite player.

85. mydogissmarterthanmoststeelerfans says: Jun 20, 2013 10:55 AM

I wonder how Aaron Hernandez feels about the use of the word “kill”?

86. ravensterpsarmystrong says: Jun 20, 2013 11:38 AM

BP – we’ll miss you in B-more! Thx for doing your part in making us SB Champs! Stay true to yourself. Football is a violent game. PERIOD!

87. mackie66 says: Jun 20, 2013 12:08 PM

Florio, you’ve never played one down of football and you will never be privy to what really goes on, what is actually said during a football game, yeah, they mike players sometimes, with a watered down words for consumer consumption. Florio you’ll call for Pollards suspension who is only telling the truth. You and the idiot Goodell are doing your best to destroy our game of football. You have for the past 10 yrs or so set yourself up to be the “rules police” for the NFL, ratting on every player, coach or water boy who breaks one or more of those silly NFL rules which you love so much. To much contact during practice is the one you “get off” ratting out the offending coach and franchise.

88. corvusrex96 says: Jun 20, 2013 7:38 PM

Still think Ozzie let Bernard Karmell Pollard go one season too soon . We have the pats on schedule this year . And yes I used his middle name b/c he is an assassin

89. jtbsteeler says: Jun 21, 2013 8:38 AM