Saints think they found a sleeper in Jason Smith

hi-res-90870197_crop_north Getty Images

In 2009, Jason Smith was the second player chosen in the NFL Draft.

This year, his latest coach is talking about him the way you’d talk about an undrafted rookie.

As MDS mentioned in the one-liners, offensive tackle Jason Smith is trying to shake the draft bust label that was rightly applied to him with the Saints, and they seem receptive.

“I think oftentimes, you take a peek at a player that was selected as high as he was and graded out as high as he was,” Saints coach Sean Payton said, via Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “He is a tremendous worker and has athletic ability.

So it’s another opportunity, and it’s oftentimes you are able to get a player maybe his second time around or third time around that can come in and find a niche.”

Smith never justified the pick the Rams invested in him, and the Jets let him walk after he was sent there in a swap of bad ideas.

Now, the Saints are letting him compete for the starting left tackle job with Charles Brown and rookie Terron Armstead, a competition Payton said was “absolutely” open.

Smith was reflective when asked about his journey, talking about religion and making his plight seem more dramatic than perhaps it is.

“Upon the moment I received salvation, I understood that my calling is now to suffer, just like Christ did. That’s who I am,” Smith said. “So therefore, what I went through, my experiences, whether it be football or life, it brought me to a point of patience. So with patience I have experience, and with experience I have hope. And hope makes me not ashamed of what I went through.

“So everything I went through has made me who I am as a person. As far as the football stuff, it’s still a day-to-day deal. As far as my life, it’s a day-to-day deal. So I desire to know God’s heart. That’s what my focus is.”

The Rams didn’t need him to save the souls of the world, they just needed him to block. The Saints are offering him another chance to do just that.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Saints think they found a sleeper in Jason Smith”
  1. mrpresident2 says: Jun 19, 2013 9:40 AM

I’m sure he’s suffering with the millions he’s made in a few year

2. pkrlvr says: Jun 19, 2013 10:02 AM

While I don’t believe in Christ or religion, I find it hilarious that this turd actually compares his struggles in football to the crucifiction.

3. tsizzlesucks says: Jun 19, 2013 10:08 AM

He’ll be a full time bible thumper in a matter of weeks!

4. thedoubleentandres says: Jun 19, 2013 10:23 AM

suffer just like christ did…when he tried to shake his status as a draft bust

5. pjrhc says: Jun 19, 2013 10:28 AM

As a Christian, I would encourage young (in his faith) Jason to live his faith more than talk it to reporters – who are mostly godless, and rarely understand anyway. Those who follow Christ should, as Paul wrote, “and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one. (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12, ESV)”. In other words, you are right – block first, save the world as you go.

6. ssac3408 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:36 AM

This man did not just compare his situation to Christ….

7. kschiefsfan says: Jun 19, 2013 10:38 AM

His quotes sound like many who have found relatively new religious faith – a tad zealous. However, it’s hardly a cause for ridicule. Save that for the those who make news for abusing women, drinking and driving, and the other undesirable behaviors that NFL players all too often engage in.

At least this man appears to be striving for something positive in his life.

8. beckzhere says: Jun 19, 2013 10:41 AM

In other words, he’s fully aware he’s a bust and is babbling about Gods plan as an excuse.
    Well played Jason.

9. nyfan63 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:54 AM

Christ suffered a little more, remember the painful footage of him in the green room as he fell all the way to the second round only to be drafted by the Lions?

10. skytzo425 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:56 AM

Did he really just compare his failing in the NFL to Christ? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say making $50 million dollars while sucking in the NFL is about as far away as you can get from being crucified on a cross.

11. salmen76 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:58 AM

Another grown man that believes in ghosts, santa clause, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy. He said, “my calling is now to suffer”. Sounds Culty to me! My calling is to enjoy freedom, my family and the pursuit of happiness! It’s alotta fun being Salmen76! Geaux Saints!

12. goawayeverybody says: Jun 19, 2013 11:02 AM

This headline is so bogus and misleading it’s bordering on illegal. The only information underneath the ridiculous headline is that the starting job for the left tackle position is a three-way race between Smith, Armstead, and Brown.

That’s it.

13. stlunatik says: Jun 19, 2013 11:02 AM

This guy is such a waste of space.

14. stew48 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:27 AM

I have read many time that 75-80% of Americans are “believers”, that is, Christians. Why are so many of the balance regular contributors here?

15. floratiotime says: Jun 19, 2013 11:27 AM

Of course at this Last Supper we’re talking cheeseburgers … and lots of them.

16. olcap says: Jun 19, 2013 11:39 AM

Yeah, but can he get guys carted off the field?

17. mashoaf says: Jun 19, 2013 11:42 AM

Did he get another concussion?

18. laserrocketarm12 says: Jun 19, 2013 2:17 PM

With him being a big name (due to his draft status) and blocking for a QB that gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone (thus making his line look better than it really is) Jason Smith will probably make the pro bowl if he wins the starting job.

And the Saints will be universally praised for “getting the most out of former 2nd overall pick draft bust Jason Smith”

19. jeffinstlouis says: Jun 19, 2013 9:56 PM

Smith regressed during his time with the Rams (do to poor coaching) and then lost his nerve when he suffered the concussions and the stinger that made him leave the field on a stretcher. I don’t think he still has the nerve to stick his head in and block like he used to.

20. tavia47 says: Jun 20, 2013 9:25 AM

@pkrlvr He’s no different than Tebow he’s a bust at QB. And I guess that you think man made the Sun the Stars, and the Moon. There is a Christ.

21. notdemfalcons says: Jun 20, 2013 8:29 PM

ssac3408 says: Jun 19, 2013 10:36 AM

This man did not just compare his situation to Christ….

—–

Actually, he just did.

But the best part is, so did John Lennon in the mid 60s. And he ended up on the FBIs sh*t list!

All that will happen now is message board ridicule.

Not sure if that means we’ve progressed or regressed. Probably both.

22. dvoxrox says: Jun 21, 2013 12:05 PM

..”is now to suffer”.. “I desire to know God’s heart”.. Did you guys that are bagging on him actually read his statement? He’s not comparing himself to Christ.. He’s talking about living in humility, walking in His footsteps now that he’s found Christ. “Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 2:3.

Not thumping here, simply explaining what he meant and where this ideology comes from.