Stevie Johnson’s workout goal: A body like Megatron’s

Calvin Johnson AP

In fact, Stevie Johnson’s personal trainer, Travelle Gaines, says that their offseason workouts are designed to make Stevie a bigger, stronger more physically imposing receiver, along the lines of Megatron.

“Stevie came to me and said, ‘I want to be considered a Top 5 wide receiver in the NFL. I want that Calvin Johnson type frame, that Calvin Johnson type of intimidation,'” Gaines said on NFL AM. “So he really hit the weights hard. He’s in the best shape of his life.”

The reality, of course, is that no amount of time in the gym is going to create a body like Megatron’s. That body was built by God, when He decided that He wanted to create the perfect wide receiver specimen. But Gaines says that Stevie Johnson (who is three inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than Calvin Johnson) is taking his workouts very seriously in an effort to build the best body he can.

“I think with Stevie’s personality, people think he’s just a jokester and a clown. But when he’s ready to go, he goes, and he’s 100 percent focused when he’s in the weight room,” Gaines said.

And perhaps he can put up a Megatron poster in the weight room to remind him what he’s working toward.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Stevie Johnson’s workout goal: A body like Megatron’s”
  1. jcmeyer10 says: Jun 19, 2013 12:31 PM

“I wish I was a little bit taller…”

2. taintedlombardis says: Jun 19, 2013 12:33 PM

One does not simply attain a body like Megatron’s.

3. slick50ks says: Jun 19, 2013 12:34 PM

4. marvsleezy says: Jun 19, 2013 12:36 PM

Excuse me, but hes coming off of some cracked vertebrae he injured working out a while back –

Im pretty sure that has set him back with the weight lifting.

5. elliottcovert says: Jun 19, 2013 12:37 PM

Sadly no amount of wight lifting will make you three inches taller. Trust me, I’ve tried and I’m still only 5’8″

6. spenn80 says: Jun 19, 2013 12:37 PM

Yeah that’s my goal too

7. granadafan says: Jun 19, 2013 12:38 PM

Tebow designed Megatron’s body

8. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 19, 2013 12:39 PM

Johnson also added that he hopes he can score as many TDs as Calvin did last year.

9. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 19, 2013 12:40 PM

Good sign. Maybe he’ll be harder to tackle.

10. buddysguys says: Jun 19, 2013 12:40 PM

@slick50ks

How So???

11. kwgator says: Jun 19, 2013 12:40 PM

The first thig you need to do is drop Stevie …. What are you 5 yrs old

12. thenew013 says: Jun 19, 2013 12:41 PM

“When Bills receiver Stevie Johnson looks at Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, he likes what he sees.” LOL. DEAD.

13. zeuslizard says: Jun 19, 2013 12:46 PM

slick50ks says: Jun 19, 2013 12:34 PM

“He’s already a cheap shot artist, he may as well roid up and be a cheater as well.”

Yeah whatever Chiefs fan…

14. lightcleric says: Jun 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Hey that’s my goal too. Maybe Stevie and I can train with Greg Hardy while he prepares for a 50 sack year while listening to Cortland Finnegan talk about how the Rams and Lions are the best shots to make the Super Bowl this year.

15. atcojack says: Jun 19, 2013 12:50 PM

Anyone else think the writer should keep his religious propaganda to himself?

16. moxicity says: Jun 19, 2013 12:52 PM

I’ve been to Detroit…god has not been there.

17. steelerben says: Jun 19, 2013 12:58 PM

Stevie Johnson wants Megatron’s body? Chris Kluwe approves.

18. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 19, 2013 1:01 PM

That strategy worked really well for David Boston.

19. homelanddefense says: Jun 19, 2013 1:10 PM

a little thick on the God comments in this one….

20. creamsiclecannon says: Jun 19, 2013 1:11 PM

You don’t workout to end up like CJ you get built in an underground laboratory buy an evil scientist hell bent on world domination

21. creamsiclecannon says: Jun 19, 2013 1:12 PM

By not buy

22. allascowboys says: Jun 19, 2013 1:14 PM

“That body was built by God, when He decided that He wanted to create the perfect wide receiver specimen.”

Actually, that body was built by Calvin Johnson. Don’t take credit away from his hard work, and give it some “someone/something” that may or may not exist.

23. prosportswashington says: Jun 19, 2013 1:17 PM

Sorry, Africa, but you’re going to have to wait while God creates some more NFL players

24. buffalobills716 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:26 PM

Keep hating cheater Pats fans.. Yall so called three super bowls is questionable

25. nolahxc says: Jun 19, 2013 1:30 PM

Ahh… I see Stevie Johnson shares my workout goal!

My current status: Garrett Hartley.

My next milestone: Eli Manning

….Gonna take some work!

26. pskotte says: Jun 19, 2013 1:39 PM

Um, so how is he going to get three inches taller?

27. painkiller20 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:48 PM

Nothing really to add here, but coming from a Raven’s fan, I like Stevie Johnson. Wish he was on my team. Beast.

28. steelers4385 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:49 PM

Drew brees demands further explanation.

29. dsonashville28 says: Jun 19, 2013 1:57 PM

Not a Bills fan, but what’s wrong with a guy wanting to improve himself? Surprising amount of hate.

30. bastyboy says: Jun 19, 2013 2:01 PM

“That body was built by God, when He decided that He wanted to create the perfect wide receiver specimen”

Sounds like a Ray Lewis declaration.

31. sportsmeccabi says: Jun 19, 2013 2:02 PM

That’s god’s perfect wide receiver specimen?

I can do better.

My perfect receiver specimen has hands literally made of glue, never drops a pass. It has the ability to move the speed of light and leap tall buildings so it can jump over any defender. And it flies. It also would have invulnerability so it never missed a game and would never age.
    The measurements are 7’6 so no defensive back has a chance and it weighs 280 lbs. Oh, and it turns invisible.

I win.

32. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 19, 2013 2:08 PM

Stevie J. You will have retired 10 times by the time you are able to achieve that goal.

33. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 19, 2013 2:11 PM

This is why I like Stevie johnson. Instead fo saying he wants to put up X,Y, and Z Numbers, he sets a physical goal and then works to atain it. Don’t get me wrong, he does have a “Diva” attitude, but he’s a heck of a WO and works extremly hard and is a GREAT team player. I was glad the Bills locked him up, one thing you cannot teach is a great work ethic. He may not have the measurables, but he has the intangiables. Speaking of this, can somebody PLEASE explain to me how Trent Richardson and CJ2K made the top 100 list and Spiller did not? I mean, sure there are 20 players left to reveal, but c’mon, we all know Byrd nor Spiller will be listed there with the remaining names who we all know will be revealed. I’m sorry, but if Stevie works as hard as I know he is, EJ or Kolb can put their stamp on the starting QB job, and the defense can just improve off of what they had going late last season, this team could be a sleeper in the AFC. The Pats currently have turmoil, with Gronk and Hernandez being question marks and Amendola one solid hit away from IR, the Jets, are, well, the Jets, and the Dolphins had better hope Tannehill BUILDS off of his 2012 seson and doesn’t slip into the sophmore slump. That doesn’t mean I think the Bills will win the divison, but it levels the playing field a bit, and I think we have the perfect mix of talent and hard work on this roster to be succesful.

34. ProDolphinsTalk says: Jun 19, 2013 2:27 PM

“Get in line” – STARSCREAM

35. andrewsteindione says: Jun 19, 2013 2:44 PM

My girlfriend wants a body like Megatron’s too, but instead she’s stuck with mine…

36. spunjmunke says: Jun 19, 2013 3:17 PM

He wants a metal body that turns into a gun?

37. kgb108 says: Jun 19, 2013 3:35 PM

What’s wrong with an athlete working out hard and putting in the effort to achieve goals that will make him better? Based on all the hate it seems like a lot. Goals and hard work to achieve them, what a concept. Glad to see there are still some traditional values at play these days.

38. vicnocal says: Jun 19, 2013 4:55 PM

I can’t be the only one who thinks Megatron has always been an incredibly lame nickname for Calvin Johnson.

39. pksullivanmha says: Jun 20, 2013 10:31 AM

Go Stevie you can do this. @footballady52🏈

40. westtupper88 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:09 AM

The guy has come off of 3 straight 1000 yard seasons (Best in Bills history btw). He is not claiming to be the best, he is striving to be ONE of the best (Top 5). As a fan, coach, or player idk how you cannot admire this type of determination.

41. vimmer85 says: Jun 20, 2013 9:09 PM

I love how people drop by with stupid comments and can’t back it up. Show me what makes him a cheap shot artist. You going back to a block he made on Berry a couple seasons ago? Dude came out and said he was out of line with his comments. And I’m pretty sure they’re friends now. Stevie apologized to the guy for injuring him. Hater

42. dean919929 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:23 PM

Hey Pats fans.. you know who is not going to see the next superbowl? The guy that Aaron Hernandez murdered.