Takeo Spikes wants to play without a full training camp

Seattle Seahawks v San Diego Chargers Getty Images

Veteran linebacker Takeo Spikes, who has been a free agent since the Chargers cut him in March, would like to play this season. But he’s in no hurry to sign with a new team.

Spikes said on NFL AM that at age 36, he doesn’t get excited about the idea of sweating through a hot summer practice, and he doesn’t think he needs it. So he’d prefer to sign with some team toward the end of the preseason.

“Do I want to be on a team at the start of training camp? Not really,” Spikes said. “After 15 years of playing in the league, they’re not making anything new up. The only thing new you have to understand is terminology, and I would like to think I’ve been around long enough to understand that.”

Spikes compares this offseason to his offseason five years ago: He was cut by the Eagles in March, then waited until mid-August to sign with the 49ers

“I went through this in 2008 before I signed with the San Francisco 49ers, and who knows, maybe it can happen again,” Spikes said.

Spikes is healthy, has started all 16 games three straight years, and still has something he can contribute. Some team will probably come calling in the next few weeks. And Spikes is interested — but he may take his time answering that call.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Takeo Spikes wants to play without a full training camp”
  1. blacknole08 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:25 AM

I would love to see Spikes play in a playoff game before his career is done.

He’s been too good of a player throughout his career to have suffered through so many losing years on bad to average teams.

2. hedleykow says: Jun 19, 2013 11:32 AM

Smartest idea I’ve heard in awhile. Who doesn’t wish they had that kind of leverage?

“I’m actually not all that much into breaking a sweat, so give me a call when it cools down a little and all the heavy lifting is done.”

Awesome.

3. FinFan68 says: Jun 19, 2013 11:40 AM

That’s an attitude that just screams “hire me” (sarcasm font used)

4. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 19, 2013 11:58 AM

Who does he think he is? Brett Favre?

5. jayniner says: Jun 19, 2013 11:59 AM

And thus ends a career of mediocrity and a mindset to go with it….

6. 187crossbuck says: Jun 19, 2013 12:14 PM

I agree with the posts above….what team would want to sign that kind of work ethic? His best hope is that a team gets hit with preseason injuries and they need a plug & play LB. Otherwise, it’s sidelines for him.

7. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 19, 2013 12:16 PM

This is what Favre did. Talked to a former lineman who played 17 seasons that said if he’d of been able to do that he would have kept playing. At that time, a player wouldn’t have thought of it. 17 training camps is enough. If a player Spikes age can’t show up ready for football 10 days before the season starts then they should retire. I think he can play. A contender with young LBs would be smart to ink him to a 1-year deal and create depth with a healthy vet.

8. packerbackernj says: Jun 19, 2013 12:26 PM

Who knows, some subpar team might send an entourage to his house to beg him to come play for them. Worked out well last time it happened.

9. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: Jun 19, 2013 12:42 PM

Come back to the 716, we could use a veteran LB now that Barnett isn’t with us…

10. wecomefromthestars says: Jun 19, 2013 1:12 PM

Detroit.

11. beelicker says: Jun 19, 2013 2:48 PM

Who has the best “daycare facilities” is of paramount importance according to Mr Spikes …