Glen Coffee slated to graduate from U.S. Army Airborne School

glen coffee getty Getty Images

Former 49ers running back Glen Coffee, who retired from the NFL in 2010 at age 23, is now a member of the United States Army, and he is scheduled to graduate from Airborne School on Friday, Andrew Gribble of Al.com reported.

Coffee, who went through his training at Fort Benning in Georgia, told Al.com that he had a brief interest in enlisting as he redshirted at Alabama because of injury in 2006. More recently, war-themed movies further piqued his interest in joining the armed forces, he told the publication, with the film “Tears of the Sun” influential.

“I’ve always considered myself a warrior, somebody who would fight for what he believed in,” Coffee told the website. “It hit me like, ‘What do you think the military does and what do you think the military is full of? Warriors. All of a sudden, I had this respect for the military and I just realized that there is no America without the men and women who serve this country. I figured that if I’m able, the Lord’s blessed me with an able body while I’m young, to get out there and get dirty.”

Ultimately, Coffee wants to become a member of the Army’s Special Forces.

“I just felt like being in an elite unit would pretty much weed out anybody who didn’t have the drive and focus that I believe I have,” Coffee told Al.com. “I feel like if I make it in (Special Forces), that guy to my left and my right is somebody I could depend on with my life and visa versa.”

According to Al.com, Coffee enlisted in the Army on Feb. 4 — one day after the 49ers lost in Super Bowl XLVII to Baltimore. The Niners have moved on, but so too has Coffee, who has a knack for picking out compelling career paths.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
36 Responses to “Glen Coffee slated to graduate from U.S. Army Airborne School”
  1. billbrasky72 says: Jun 20, 2013 10:53 PM

Like the drink, only spelled the same.

2. dgrowe213 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:00 PM

Retired from a dream job to defend our country.
    I thought he was a dumbass when he quit the NFL, shame on me.

He simply wanted to defend my freedom.

Nothing but respect for him now.
    Godspeed.

3. gobungles says: Jun 20, 2013 11:06 PM

This is the definition of the word “hero”.

4. invisible says: Jun 20, 2013 11:06 PM

Let’s hear the interesting comments on this one…. Hoahh!!!!!! Stand-up, hook-up, shuffle to the door…..

5. acmepackers says: Jun 20, 2013 11:06 PM

As a veteran and on behalf of all patriotic Americans, thank you for your service, Mr. Coffee.

6. titansbro says: Jun 20, 2013 11:09 PM

Much respect & gratitude to Mr. Coffee.

7. jjb0811 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:16 PM

semper fi bro!

8. gloryfromheaven says: Jun 20, 2013 11:19 PM

He’s probably regretting not making millions when he had the opportunity to….

9. braceyourselffor12 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:32 PM

Good for him. He had the integrity to realize his heart wasn’t in football and chose to serve our country. Hail and farewell soldier.

Go Niners!!!!

10. straighcashhomie84 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:35 PM

This guy is awesome

11. gcbean says: Jun 20, 2013 11:36 PM

I salute you, Mr. Coffee!

12. thraiderskin says: Jun 20, 2013 11:42 PM

I would say there is more to being a hero than simple desire, but atleast he made the commitment to do something few of us have the balls to attempt. I wish him all the luck and may he strike terror in those who threaten our country.

13. skinswillsurprise says: Jun 20, 2013 11:43 PM

Been there, done that! Good for him! There is a slight difference in pay!

14. banvard316 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:48 PM

Well done, young man!

15. logisticalvoices says: Jun 21, 2013 12:03 AM

Hey Kellen Winslow, that’s a real soldier!

16. etcali says: Jun 21, 2013 12:20 AM

Isn’t this the same Glen coffee who quit the niners because God told him to and was later arrested for an illegal weapons possession in Florida. Yes pure hero material.

17. vicnocal says: Jun 21, 2013 12:22 AM

Now he can go protect some of those Halliburton assets. Dick Cheney thanks you for your service, Glen.

18. croghan1919 says: Jun 21, 2013 1:36 AM

DOD,
    GRADE A / SELECT-

19. kgbdk says: Jun 21, 2013 1:52 AM

Glen Coffee drafted in 2nd round, retires after one year in the NFL. Says it was God’s calling. Gets arrested on a concealed weapons charge shortly after. Now everyone thinks he’s some stand up guy because he enlisted. Wait until old Glen goes AWOL or makes the news again before patting him on the back.

20. raiderlyfe510 says: Jun 21, 2013 2:07 AM

He would have been dominant in the Zone Blocking Scheme. Another player Reggie Mckenzie missed out on. The perfect one-cut and go RB.

21. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Jun 21, 2013 2:08 AM

Hey, that’s how I take my coffee too!

22. domehead says: Jun 21, 2013 2:27 AM

These are the people that really make America what it is. God speed soldier.

23. lagg1 says: Jun 21, 2013 4:56 AM

I admire Glen for his choice. However, as someone who survived in Vietnam over40 years ago-being in harm’s way is not a movie or a game-not when that first round goes past your ear or that mortar round or rocket explodes nearby. Military is like anything else, it is what you make of it.

Good luck and stay safe, Glen!

24. La Milicia Negra says: Jun 21, 2013 6:14 AM

he watched some war movies and now wants to be a soldier! what a tool , the literary meaning of the word..

25. greyhawk9 says: Jun 21, 2013 7:19 AM

always wonderful when someone seeks publicity for something they do that is supposed to be selfless ….hey look at me..im good

26. 1historian says: Jun 21, 2013 8:15 AM

I say this with all respect

Somewhere Joe Dimaggio is smiling

27. masterblaster78 says: Jun 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Jump right out and count to four, feet and knees together. Airborne.
    Lots of respect for you, Godspeed

28. rgtre10 says: Jun 21, 2013 8:17 AM

From all the veterans across this great land booyah…I applaud you for this decision. A decision which will forever let you walk with your chest out and your head held high, as there is no greater honor than to defend your country!

29. dannycarrao says: Jun 21, 2013 9:52 AM

30. noring4youstill says: Jun 21, 2013 11:24 AM

Let’s put him in a room with Lil Wayne. God Bless and be safe

31. 49erlifer says: Jun 21, 2013 12:40 PM

I’d retire too if i had a beast like Frank Gore standing in my way!

32. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 21, 2013 1:45 PM

dannycarrao says: It’s laughable how some people above in the comments criticize this man. So easy to do when you hide behind an anonymous screen name safe in the comfort of your home. Oh wait, who provided the comfort of your home? That’s right, men and women like Glen Coffee who chose to defend your freedom!

*******************

What’s not laughable is that, somehow, “soldier” has become synonymous with “hero.” It’s a job. There are some truly heroic people who serve in the armed forces, to be sure. There are also some truly terrible human beings who do. By blindly honoring someone just because they choose to put on a uniform, you dishonor those who are actually worthy of praise.

33. mackie66 says: Jun 21, 2013 2:51 PM

Have two sons in the Military, one is an Army Ranger with 8 combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Knowing what it takes to be a Ranger, I put Rangers and Seals in the same bag, you line them all up and you cant tell them apart,,,its amazing.
    Anyhow if Coffee makes it he has by undying admiration and respect. Believe me Airborne is the easiest of all disciplines and is required before you can apply for any Special Forces and Ranger school is just a bitch. Lots of luck!!

34. illwillthemick says: Jun 21, 2013 4:46 PM

its sad when a movie inspires you to throw your life away, the army doesnt let you fight for what YOU believe in, they FORCE you to fight for what THEY believe in.

35. discosucs2005 says: Jun 21, 2013 4:53 PM

Let’s not pretend like he left the NFL just to join the military. He was going to be a pastor at one point, and then something else. He didn’t give up on his dream job to defend our freedoms, he just left, and then gave on another job, and now is in another job.

36. forty9asty says: Jun 21, 2013 11:32 PM

Ironic that he had that elite unit with the 49ers, and the guy had some great talent, but I guess he weeded himself out because he didn’t “have the drive and focus”. I applaud Mr. Coffee for not taking the money to be on the team if his heart truly wasn’t into football (unless he did take the money and leave), and I also applaud him for his decision to join our military if his heart is truly into that endeavor as well. I had high hopes for him as a 49er runningback, I wish him the best, but I also hope he realizes he can’t just change his mind again with what he is about to venture into.