Rooney would love to host NFL Draft in Pittsburgh

Art Rooney II AP

While cities such as San Diego and Miami have risked falling out of the Super Bowl rotation because of stadium issues, plenty of cold-weather cities are springing up to host other NFL events.

Echoing the request of Chicago’s mayor, Steelers president Art Rooney II said he thinks his town could and should host the NFL Draft.

Rooney wasn’t going pie-in-the-sky for a Super Bowl bid, but told the team’s official website that if scheduling conflicts continued to complicate holding the selection meeting at Radio City Music Hall, he’d love to host.

“Sure, I’d like to see the draft move around (to other cities), and I would love to see it come to Pittsburgh some time,” Rooney said. “It’s a great event and attracts tremendous fan interest. It would be a fun event for Pittsburgh to host, and I think our city could do a great job with it.”

With the event becoming more and more of a television show and less and less of a live-action event, there’s no reason not to spread it around geographically, if the league stands firm on keeping the calendar spread as far as it has.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Rooney would love to host NFL Draft in Pittsburgh”
  1. godofwine330 says: Jun 20, 2013 10:48 AM

Ain’t nobody gonna want to go to Sh*tsburgh, the same way nobody would want to do it in Cleveland (my hometown, though I moved from that hell hole to Medina, OH a few years ago). Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Jerry Jones hasn’t already opened his big mouth to offer up his palace. It will end up happening in some city, some big city, maybe even LA, but our two towns have little to offer a reception like the NFL Draft.

2. steviemo says: Jun 20, 2013 10:49 AM

I think it would be awesome if they moved the NFL Draft around the same way they do the Super Bowl. I, for one, would love to attend one in the SF Bay Area but always find it problematic to get to RCMH in New York City. Let Pittsburgh start it and move it around from there. The time has come.

3. salutethis says: Jun 20, 2013 10:50 AM

Yes!!! Please move the draft around!!!

4. mmsierra says: Jun 20, 2013 10:52 AM

WHY Not ?
    Spread the site around
    How about in San Francisco, too ?

5. truninerfan49 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:08 AM

Why not hold the draft in Iran since Goddell is obsessed with globalizing the NFL.

6. msstiller58 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:09 AM

Pittsburgh is an awesome city, somehow it has managed to lose the steel mills and be vibrant. No one ever forgets the first time they see the city, coming out of the tunnel at night. (Anthony Weiner put Pittsbugh’s skyline on his ad for electing him mayor of NYC.)
    Look at your map. Medina is Cleveland.

7. modellforprez says: Jun 20, 2013 11:13 AM

The NHL draft was in PGH last summer and was a massive success in terms of regional surplus for the city

8. nirvana504 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:24 AM

“Lets go to Pittsburg!!!”
    Said no one ever

9. bigbenownsthenfl says: Jun 20, 2013 11:24 AM

Lol@medina Ohio. Population 1000 and all toothless!

10. stew48 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:33 AM

About time! Wherever it goes, we won’t have to contend with the circus Jets’ fans. And, no one goes to Pgh without being impressed. If nothing else, you can eat at The Lamont on Mt. Washington. Sorry, naysayers, I live in Dayton, OH.

11. wvucolumbus says: Jun 20, 2013 11:34 AM

godofwine330-Please refrain from lumping a championship, progressive, white-collar (w/ blue collar history and attitude) town such as Pittsburgh, with the stagnant town of Cleveland. They are incredibly different places.

12. whitdog23 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:39 AM

yes Pittsburgh has streets of gold now since hosting nhl draft. (hope you can sense sarcasm) what a ‘regional surplus’ (hope you can sense sarcasm again)

13. bigbenownsthenfl says: Jun 20, 2013 11:43 AM

Everybody is jealous of Pittsburgh and the deep rich Steeler winning tradition! It’s both pathetic and hilarious!

14. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 20, 2013 11:57 AM

As the Steelers head further and further into the AFCN basement, Rooney is going to be grasping for more and more straws to keep financially solvent. Sorry, Art. But the Benedum Center
    can’t compete with Radio City Music Hall. Maybe you can get a touring company to come in and put on a revival of Cats.

15. kane337 says: Jun 20, 2013 11:57 AM

The worst team in the league with the first pick in the draft should be forced to host it.

16. Steeley McBeam says: Jun 20, 2013 12:16 PM

kane337 says:

———–

It would make more sense for the SB winning team to host it so they can keep the attention of fans in attendance for the whole 2 hours instead of the first 2 minutes.

17. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 20, 2013 12:28 PM

I think the NFL draft should always be done in Indianapolis, just like the combine. It truly is the greatest city in the world and is also home to an NFL team, the Indianapolis Colts, who in my opinion are the greatest franchise in the history of sports. Now that you all agree with me, lets make it happen Roger.

18. steelerben says: Jun 20, 2013 12:47 PM

Hosting it in the city that holds the first overall pick sounds like a pretty cool idea. It would generate some excitement in a town that could use it and the fan involvement would be great.

I would say to take it a bit further and make it a multi city event. First & Second round is hosted by the team with the first overall pick and then Third & Fourth round is hosted by the Super Bowl champs, Fifth, Sixth & Seventh hosted by the team that lost the Super Bowl.

You’d have to go back to the Friday, Saturday, Sunday format, but I think it would be much cooler to move it around a bit.

19. halftermguv says: Jun 20, 2013 12:47 PM

I’m all for moving the draft around and would love Pittsburgh to host but Canton Ohio and the HOF deserve first shot.

Canton got screwed out of its annual HOF game during the last CBA negotiation and deserves some sort of payback.

What should be a positive moment for a college player, their family, fans of the university and the team picking is an embarassment.

20. t8ertot says: Jun 20, 2013 12:52 PM

Why, of all places?

21. eatitfanboy says: Jun 20, 2013 1:12 PM

This whole story is based upon absolute and complete nonsense.

There was no scheduling conflict with Radio City Music Hall. The league obviously let them know that were most likely moving the draft so RCMH booked something else for April.

The idea that it was the other way around- that RCMH called the most popular sports league on the planet and told them they couldn’t have their usual date because they wanted to have an Easter show simply defies reason- no rational person actually believes that.

22. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 20, 2013 1:25 PM

“Hosting the draft in RCMH is unwatchable. It stinks that the same bunch of drunks boo and curse Goodell and rival team’s picks.”

Yeah! Why not give the Pittsburgh drunks a chance to boo and curse Goodell and rival teams’ picks? Heck, the whole town could get plastered and act like a bunch of vile, profanity spewing maniacs.

Wait. I’ve just described a home game at Heinz field, haven’t I?

23. kmart0319 says: Jun 20, 2013 1:34 PM

Please move it away from NYC. I hate seeing drunk Jets/Giants and Philly fans booing every pick including their own.

24. godofwine330 says: Jun 20, 2013 1:53 PM

LOL, Sorry. Being from Cleveland I have nothing good to say about Pittsburgh (old rivalries die hard). I have been to Pittsburge 3 times (a moonlight cruise last August, Kennywood last year and walked around the city for 2 hours during a layover from Greyhound. It is not bad, I was joking earlier. Aside from the extreme hills, it held up better than Cleveland did – which is why I moved. Ne’redowells and poor police response drove me away. Medina homes are nicer, bigger, larger yards, with a strong police presence.

It would be nice to have the team that wins the Super Bowl the previous year, (the Giants would have had this year’s draft and next year it would be in Baltimore). It would not move around to every NFL city, but a little extra benefit for the city who won the big game the previous year to host the draft would be a nice little gift.

25. green41563 says: Jun 20, 2013 2:15 PM

bigbenownsthenfl says: Jun 20, 2013 11:43 AM

____________________________________

Jealous of the Steelers’ winning tradition? Guilty.

Jealous of Pittsburgh? Bwahahaha!

26. pleezor says: Jun 20, 2013 3:00 PM

The draft is great just the way it is.

27. steelcurtainn says: Jun 20, 2013 3:50 PM

Why not host the draft in Pittsburgh. Its a great city and one of the great organizations in Pro Football. In the event it ever happens, It would be extra sweet if the steelers were picking 32nd too.

28. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 20, 2013 3:51 PM

Wait. I’ve just described a home game at Heinz field, haven’t I?

7 10 No you described a home game in charm city where rival fans get beat up waiting for a ride. You have so much hate and jealousy of and for Pittsbugh it borders on …..no it is insane. As Bob Zilla said we skimm most of your worthless posts as a groupie has no substance…just looking for attention.

29. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 20, 2013 3:58 PM

“It would be extra sweet if the steelers were picking 32nd too.”

I’m sure the Ravens would be willing to trade down for one or two extra picks.

30. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 20, 2013 4:20 PM

nirvana504 says:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:24 AM
    “Lets go to Pittsburg!!!”
    Said no one ever

25 63 Hopefully that means you won’t go to Pittsbugh…a collective amen from 500,000 happy yin zeros.

31. larrydavid7000 says: Jun 20, 2013 4:22 PM

Nobody wants to go to stinkburg. TV ratings would be at an all time low.!!!!!

32. audient says: Jun 20, 2013 4:44 PM

I live in Cleveland and I’m a Browns fan, and I see no good reason why the draft couldn’t be held in Pittsburgh, or any of the NFL cities.

And while I have a healthy dislike of the Stllrs, the Burgh itself is not without its charm. I enjoy visiting there, despite (insert miscellaneous anti-yinzer insult here).

33. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 20, 2013 5:01 PM

larrydavid7000 says:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:22 PM
    Nobody wants to go to stinkburg. TV ratings would be at an all time low.!!!!!

0 0 Bet you’ve never been to Pittsburgh in your life and for that matter I have been higher in the air than you’ve been on the ground from your house. Stay in your little hovel and choke on your smugness Pittsburgh doesn’t need you or your kind.

34. holeinone09 says: Jun 20, 2013 5:15 PM

nirvana504 says:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:24 AM

“Lets go to Pittsburg!!!”
    Said no one ever

* * * *

First, learn how to spell PittsburgH. Thanks. Great city, great people, great place to live.

35. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 20, 2013 6:47 PM

nickster:
    Twenty-five years ago was 1988. I can assure you that Pittsburgh was just as beautiful then as it is now. Pittsburgh hasn’t been a “smoky, hazy industrial city” since the 1960s, when the population reached 600,000 before settling at its current 300,000.

36. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 20, 2013 10:40 PM

“There is no dirtier, more disgusting city on the planet than NYC. I’m pretty sure anyplace else would be an upgrade, especially a city with the class and charm of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, home of the SIX-TIME Super Bowl Champion Steelers…”

Wow. These occasional field trips into the mind of a Steelers fan can be a little frightening sometimes.

37. southcarolinamike says: Jun 21, 2013 3:52 PM

I love the NFL, but I won’t spend 20 minutes watching the draft. All I need to do is spend 20 minutes reading about it and I know everything I would have learned watching it for two days.