Odin Lloyd’s family wants justice, NFL can dispense a specific type of it

Hernandez AP

Sometimes lost in the questions surrounding the involvement of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in the death of a Massachusetts man is the reality that 27-year-old Odin Lloyd died violently after being shot, per the Boston Globe, multiple times.

“I want the person that killed my son to be brought to justice,” Ursula Ward, Lloyd’s mother, told ABC.  “That’s my first-born child, my only boy child, and they took him away from me. . . .  I wouldn’t trade him for all the money in the world.  And if money could bring him back I would give this house up to bring my son back.  Nothing can bring my son back.”

As the suspects take solace in their legal rights and hatch strategies with their lawyers, here’s hoping this crime gets solved.  Regardless of who killed Odin Lloyd and who else was involved before or after the fact in what may have been a clumsy, idiotic effort to cover it up, a man with decades left to live has died in a cruel, awful way.

By all appearances, Hernandez knows something.  He may know a lot more than something.  While he has the right to remain silent in court, the NFL has the ability to strip from Hernandez the privilege of playing professional football unless he cooperates with authorities to their full and complete satisfaction.

Even under the NFL’s sometimes warped version of justice, which punishes grown men for smoking marijuana on their own time and suspends for a fourth of a season starting quarterbacks who were never arrested or charged with a crime, the just outcome in this case could be to prevent Hernandez from playing football until the authorities conclude that he has done everything he can to help them figure out who killed Odin Lloyd.

The NFL has the power to do it.  And the NFLPA, thanks to the agreed-to terms and provisions of the personal-conduct policy, has little power to stop it.

Permalink 128 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
128 Responses to “Odin Lloyd’s family wants justice, NFL can dispense a specific type of it”
  1. swashbucklin says: Jun 21, 2013 10:41 PM

And this whole time I was under the impression that Hernandez was just a douche.

Pats have been overdue for something like this

2. orivar says: Jun 21, 2013 10:44 PM

Cool, that’s what the legal system is for.

3. jdhein22 says: Jun 21, 2013 10:45 PM

Interesting how we championed a guy nary 6 months ago who undoubtedly did the same or worse than Aaron Hernandez. Funny way the world works.

4. lostsok says: Jun 21, 2013 10:45 PM

This loser should never have been drafted. Thirty-one teams knew better, but the “genius” just had to show them up…

5. butthatmakestoomuchsense says: Jun 21, 2013 10:46 PM

Let’s murder the Fifth Amendment to maximize NFL profits (groans).

6. remok9 says: Jun 21, 2013 10:47 PM

Come on Rog….Do something right and strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger.

7. PriorKnowledge says: Jun 21, 2013 10:47 PM

Hernandez killed him. He likes to shoot people. He is a hothead. He covered it up, because he is the perp.

8. croghan1919 says: Jun 21, 2013 10:49 PM

Well said Florio.
    I agree.

9. thehatefulnerd says: Jun 21, 2013 10:51 PM

Let’s face it, Odin Lloyd was probably not an innocent nice guy.

10. thejuddstir says: Jun 21, 2013 10:52 PM

Then I think it’s either time for the Pats or the NFL to become involved as there’s more than enough circumstantial evidence for them to step up and put pressure on Hernandez to start cooperating instead of destroying evidence.

11. jerrysglassescleaner says: Jun 21, 2013 10:54 PM

This is whats happening behind close doors on Aaron’s side. His trail is sloppy and he did kill him. Clean up crew is the dead give away. He is currently trying to bribe someone to take the fall. He will get fined, suspended and the Oakland Raiders will sign him once he is eligible to play again while his jailed buddy will get out a millionaire once he is out.

12. angelogiaquinto18 says: Jun 21, 2013 10:56 PM

Good. Shouldn’t play a damn down or collect 1 damn paycheck! And if my team ever had that lowlife on my team I’d root for a different team

13. officialgame says: Jun 21, 2013 10:57 PM

I agree 100%. At the very least Gonzalez was involved in a cover up to a murder. He still might be charged for accessory to murder, or worse for murder. He should be suspended by the league now!

14. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 21, 2013 10:57 PM

Hernandez shouldn’t play another snap or earn another dollar until someone drops the dime in this case. Even the mentally defective Ray Lewis from a bygone era did that much.

15. wryly1 says: Jun 21, 2013 10:58 PM

Aaron Hernandez is directly involved in a murder case. Up to him to decide whether he wants to be a witness or a suspect. He has a legal right not to incriminate himself, but no human excuse for not doing the right thing. The NFL has it’s own multibillion dollar image and brand to protect, but no obligation whatsoever to protect players who tarnish that brand and image. Whether he’s guilty of anything or not, he’s already F’d up bigtime.

16. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 21, 2013 10:58 PM

So are you indirectly defending Ben Roethlisberger now?
    Does that mean that you think that both women made their stories up?
    If not you must be suggesting that the league should not be able to reserve the right to punish it players when they are absolutely destroying its image the way he clearly was.
    Conviction or no conviction I think the commissioner was pretty smart to not want the NFL to be thought of a league full of rapists.
    I laugh every time I remember that there is a woman out there who actually married this tool a couple years ago.

17. tedmurph says: Jun 21, 2013 10:58 PM

If the NFL gives the State that authority, it would be violating the 14th amendment. Not that I’m defending Hernandez.

18. bombayjon says: Jun 21, 2013 10:59 PM

I’m not sure I agree with you on this one mike. While Hernandez certainly sounds like a turd, he does have a right to do process both at court and at work. I’m not saying the league has to wait for a guilty verdict, just that they should conduct their own investigation and make their own internal decision that he has a right to appeal. Its not right to take someone’s job away without due process.

19. screwuhowardschultz says: Jun 21, 2013 10:59 PM

whoa! A well written Florio commentary I agree with!

20. walker615 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:00 PM

Smoking marijuana is illegal. So, yeah. I suppose that was just a clumsy attempt to inject your opinion on yet another issue completely unrelated to the news at hand.

21. jh500 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:03 PM

thehatefulnerd says:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:51 PM
    Let’s face it, Odin Lloyd was probably not an innocent nice guy.
    ____________________

so he deserved to die? really?

22. vibesid says: Jun 21, 2013 11:06 PM

If it was my son, I’d want the legal system to do everything it can to find the murderer(s).

Don’t know what Ray Lewis has to do with this case at all or why idiots keep mentioning his name here. It must make the Pats fans feel better to throw dirt to try to hide the dirt of this case and how it makes the whole franchise look bad.

23. ayoungandres says: Jun 21, 2013 11:07 PM

Multiple times? BS accidental shooting defense just went away. Enjoy life Hernandez. (I feel like I sign off on every post with this but….) Idiot.

24. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: Jun 21, 2013 11:09 PM

If even one ounce of this is true, and he had any knowledge what so ever about this murder he should never be allowed to play in the nfl again.

25. ayoungandres says: Jun 21, 2013 11:09 PM

If I was Kraft, I would suspend him indefinitely, if I didn’t have the power to do it, I would ask Goodell to do it, and I would seriously consider just cutting him outright. I’m a Pats fan but this guys is a disgrace and doesn’t deserve the privilege of getting paid millions of dollars a year to play a game.

26. tralfaz1127 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:10 PM

Really? You’re a lawyer. I read all the statements, both the day of and the day after of the Rapeingburger files. The good ole boys gettin pictures takin, not taping off the crime scene so it can be bleached (fact), not pulling the security tapes that were erased (fact), and all the statements after drinking by the girls, and the day after sober were remarkably the same. And his lawyer had a team of investigators the day after on the ground trying to discredit her. Third time he was accused of rape publicly. Smoke/Fire. Yup. OJ was innocent too.

27. softhelmet says: Jun 21, 2013 11:10 PM

The league has to do something here, if it can toss out suspensions for DUIs (with good reason) they clearly have to act on.

And they will as soon as Mr.Kraft says they can…remember who the commish works for…

28. steelcityfinest13 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:13 PM

sad!!!

29. evilbilly3 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:13 PM

Come on Mike be real. Didn’t the NFL prove that what they came up with wouldn’t stand in a court of law with the Saints? The only thing they ever won was what anybody either admitted to, or didn’t fight. If they pushed it to a court of law they would have had lost. They play in the bounds of the CBA if they punished somebody who wouldn’t fight it, they won. They won’t risk the backlash of punishing someone with something they can’t prove, let the judicial system take place. Ben took his punishment without a court ruling, Vilma didn’t. Kinda makes you wonder.

30. polapea says: Jun 21, 2013 11:14 PM

butthatmakestoomuchsense says: Jun 21, 2013 10:46 PM

Let’s murder the Fifth Amendment to maximize NFL profits (groans).

———

Maybe you should figure out what the 5th Amendment actually contains, before you keep writing the same stupid comment in every thread.

Hernandez is being charged with obstruction because he tampered with evidence not because he refused to talk.

31. keylimelight says: Jun 21, 2013 11:17 PM

“…the just outcome in this case could be to prevent Hernandez from playing football until the authorities conclude that he has done everything he can to help them figure out who killed Odin Lloyd.”

I agree with this notion. I like it a lot. For all the BS moves the league does to protect “The Shield”, an action like this would make a clear statement that violent criminal behavior is not welcomed in the NFL.

32. rajbais says: Jun 21, 2013 11:18 PM

The Pats too.

I will say this.

I love how media personalities think that they know so much about players and inner team structures.

After the Boston Globe’s report about the way Hernandez treated Welker I don’t want the media to have the right to evaluate one’s character again.

Since Randy Moss left his team all the bad Pats stories occur once the writing of an imminent departure is on the wall.

Some hardcore reporting. It’s as lousy as revealing what “illicit benefit” a college player got while on his team when it happens everywhere.

Bad character should not surprise anyone ever again. In a sport that requires rage we need to worry about “good guys vs. bad guys”??

Why not worry about “good players vs. bad players??”

33. wtfchiefs says: Jun 21, 2013 11:20 PM

Wether Odin or Hernandez were/are innocent people. As a parent, I cannot imagine the grief of losing my child. My heart truly goes out to Llyod’s family, no one should suffer such a tragedy.

34. firestarter0728 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:21 PM

I think I’ll reserve judgement until I hear more about who this Lloyd character was.

If he was an innocent bystander murdered by gang violence, his killer(s) should be tortured and executed, Dark Ages style.

If he was himself a gangbanger/drug dealer/pimp or other lowlife, then whoever killed him should get a $25 reward from the government for taking out the trash.

35. blackngold4life says: Jun 21, 2013 11:21 PM

Don’t know how any of this relates to Big Ben or Ray Lewis..

36. 100percent100 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:22 PM

“warped version of justice, which punishes grown men for smoking marijuana on their own time”

Regular folks are punished (suspended or fired) by their employer for smoking marijuana on their own time. Random drug testing, or an on the job injury, doesn’t matter if you’re not high on the job.

37. patriotinvasion says: Jun 21, 2013 11:23 PM

While the media camps out in front of Hernandez’ house, has anyone bothered to identify the other 2 guys who were with them? There’s a greater likelihood that one of those 2 men pulled the trigger and Hernandez was faced with the decision of running as fast as he could to the police station or try to protect a long time friend. On it’s face it seems he chose the latter, but why is no one talking about the other two guys?

38. thraiderskin says: Jun 21, 2013 11:25 PM

@butthatmakestoomuchsense and Tedmurph… How so? How has his rights or would they be violated, as far as the 14th amendment is concerned? I keep seeing Amendments flying out, but with no real application of us in this case. I’m not a lawyer, but I do have a rudimentary understanding of the underlining priniciple of our legel system, that of reasonability. I almost wish Florio would write up a post explaining why some of you are wrong about how civil rights and the constitution applies to this case, thus far.

39. baymac408 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:27 PM

Guy in the comments is right!! Aaron is probably involved! But the neck did just give a Super Bowl to a murderer! Ray Lewis is a snitch! And NFL Gave him that last ring and stole it from the team that deserved it! He and Herbandez should both be locked up! For being rich idiots!

40. pdidit09 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:30 PM

He’s tarnished goods nationally. How unfortunate for such a young guy, but again the victim has a mother, sister, etc., they are in a lot of pain and need our prayers for some peace in their spirits.

41. billbrasky72 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:35 PM

“NFL’s sometimes warped version of justice, which punishes grown men for smoking marijuana on their own time”

How is this warped? The consequences are much worse for most of the general public. If most people fail a drug test, they loose their job…and most of us aren’t high profile role models for the youth of America.

42. keylimelight says: Jun 21, 2013 11:36 PM

vibesid says: Jun 21, 2013 11:06 PM

“Don’t know what Ray Lewis has to do with this case at all or why idiots keep mentioning his name here.”
    ____
    Mostly Ray Lewis’ situation is woven into lame jokes around here. But there is a reason why what happened in Ray Lewis’ case is related to Hernandez’s behavior now.

A violent murder took place, involved parties destroyed incriminating evidence, so Obstruction of Justice was the only charge that could be brought.

Hernandez may view Ray Lewis’ outcome in a favorable light given that he managed to continue his career in the NFL to it’s glorious end. But more importantly, RL created a template to follow if one might need to get away with being charged for murder.

43. bigwii says: Jun 21, 2013 11:36 PM

Tell me again how the Pats were “overdue” for something like this hater. And I’m he’s guilty you say, he killed him you say I didn’t know you we’re there and witnessed the whole thing. Good to know he’s already convicted in the public and media eye. Because that’s all that matters I guess you people are a joke.

44. imjinrat says: Jun 21, 2013 11:37 PM

vibesid says: Jun 21, 2013 11:06 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Really? You don’t see any similarities?

45. b3nz0z says: Jun 21, 2013 11:39 PM

I’m no legal expert but if I were hiding a murder and my boss told me to cooperate or be suspended, I’d probably take the suspension. I mean, you can always get a job as a bouncer but prison would suck.

46. Spencer says: Jun 21, 2013 11:43 PM

Thank you for acknowledging the victim.

47. oldcat157 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:47 PM

I’ve read all the posts on this website and believe he’s innocent based on the facts. He’ll get probation and fine. He’s already agreed to pay one of his associates a large sum of cash to take the fall. Manslaughter for a guilty plea. You heard it here first.

48. drbob117 says: Jun 21, 2013 11:48 PM

No reason for the NFL to do something too quickly that may or may not stand up in court when they can simply wait for the police to finish their investigation. Once they do that, the results of said investigation will likely lead to a lifetime ban from the NFL , which will be the least of Hernandez’ problems.

49. cheffyglenn says: Jun 21, 2013 11:49 PM

@johnelwayshorsefaced your a comet tool and idiot. You don’t think the second girl got the idea from hearing about the first girl. You need to just end your existence.

50. firstroyal says: Jun 21, 2013 11:52 PM

For those of you that think the fifth ammendment comes into play here are dead wrong. The constitution does not come into play in business- any business. Call your boss all the dirty little names you can think of and then claim freedom of speach. Carry a gun (with permit) into your workplace and proclaim “right to keep and bear arms”

You have a lot of rights in this country
    the right to a job is not one of them. No matter how talented you are.

51. hatesycophants says: Jun 22, 2013 12:00 AM

My favorite part of this coverage is the false sympathy for a guy who may turn out to be a piece of human trash. Thanks, guys!

52. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Jun 22, 2013 12:09 AM

walker615 says:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:00 PM
    ———
    He was saying that there is nothing wrong with smoking weed on your own time. That’s not an opinion that’s a FACT!

53. realskipbayless says: Jun 22, 2013 12:11 AM

Hey Arron Ray Lewis knows how to do the crime without having to do the time. I’d call him if I were you.

54. RoofDude says: Jun 22, 2013 12:12 AM

Hernandez just needs to praise God. Worked for Ray Lewis…..

55. thesteelers says: Jun 22, 2013 12:12 AM

Fart Proudly – Ben Franklin

56. wwwmattcom says: Jun 22, 2013 12:13 AM

That poor Lloyd family has to fight the lawyers of a millionaire and probably the NFL (to save the brand). They might win in civil court in ten years. Either way they are going to get dragged through the mud and gut out losing a son.
    I love my son. There is no way I would love him less because of something he did. Shame on those who think Oden may have deserved it.
    Sure, if you play with a rattle snake you may get bit but if you piss of Hernandez, you get shot? Who is Hernandez to decide? Just an over priveleged weeny who was never told “no”.

57. steelcurtainn says: Jun 22, 2013 12:20 AM

Lloyds family will get justice after all the evidence comes out and someone will be doing a life time sentence for this crime. As far as Big Ben goes, he was not guilty and convicted of squat. Some of you need to let it go. You were not even there. You sound ridiculous. This thread is about Odin Lloyds family getting justice for their sons murder, not about Big Ben, geez. Big Bens moved on, some of you people need to do the same. The truth will come out and 1 if not all 3 of those men will being paying for the crime. Either way, I would be surprised to see hernandez playing in the NFL again. He doesn’t deserve too.

58. ascensionparish says: Jun 22, 2013 12:23 AM

Sean Payton will pay dearly for this.

–Roger Goodell.

59. foosballisthedevil says: Jun 22, 2013 12:27 AM

None of this would have happened if Welker had helped the Hernandez review film….

Somewhere, Giselle is pissed

And Tiki is flabbergasted

60. robt927 says: Jun 22, 2013 12:35 AM

Really? The idiots who keep mentioning Ray “killer of 2″ Lewis? What tool out there can’t see the same situation, people or in this case a person has died, at it was at the hands of a NFL player.

61. crimepedrankings says: Jun 22, 2013 12:38 AM

drop him from the league permanently. that will send the message.

62. kgb108 says: Jun 22, 2013 12:48 AM

Hey Mike, there’s just a little flaw in your logic. The NFL could suspend him until authorities are satisfied he’s done everything … Well lets see here, if him talking involves him going to prison, i’m gonna say that right there is pretty much gonna end his football career anyway, so if that’s the case, he’s gonna keep his mouth shut.

63. bmorelady says: Jun 22, 2013 12:49 AM

We are all football fans. We also bring our children to these games. We are part of the reason they are making millions of dollars to play this sport. Our police and fire fighters sign moral clauses to get a job protecting us for a fraction of a percentage point that these guys are making. The league sees when they are getting drafted that they are troubled, yet they see the potential for money, money, money so the warning signs get ignored, ignored, ignored. As parents and fans, we should demand that these men are held to some type of higher standard than they are being held to now. Too many of them are finding trouble off the field. Too many are failing drug tests and being arrested for violence. It’s time for us to have a say.

64. securb2013 says: Jun 22, 2013 12:53 AM

Whoa! Hernandez is in trouble what is all this mishegas about? First time hearing about his mess.

65. slobmykolb says: Jun 22, 2013 12:54 AM

Mr. Florio, I am always quick to sneer at some of your articles and sometimes bash them (you). However, I want to also be quick and give credit when due. This is the best article I have read about this whole saga and it has a heart felt feel to it. Thank you for writing to a national audience what so many of us have felt and thought as well! Though I don’t and mostly likely won’t always agree with what you write, I now have a newfound respect for you. Not only as a writer but more so as a person.
    I understand and agree with the whole innocent until proven guilty, but common sense says this piece of turd (Hernandez) is protecting a killer (either himself or a friend) and needs to at least be punished in some way!

66. deadunicorn says: Jun 22, 2013 12:59 AM

warped is allowing a franchise to cheat to win 3 super bowls and essentially do nothing…o yeah…making up a rule so they could win their first was pretty freaking weird too

67. evrybdyhas1 says: Jun 22, 2013 1:13 AM

1. Any player of any league charged in connection with a murder must be suspended. Wake up! If this was your brother, son or friend you would demand justice, you would want the facts. Destroying evidence is a cowardly self serving act.
    2. A friend would cooperate with the investigation not impede it.
    3. The ignorant Ray Lewis remarks ignore the fact that there were charges, a trial and an acquittal based on self defense.
    4. The cheerleaders and hater mongers need to remove their head from their ass. This is not what football or team preference or trying to be clever is all about.

68. scandiman says: Jun 22, 2013 1:56 AM

Great article, Mike!

This is ultimately about justice for the victim and his family and I do hope that the NFL does everything in it’s power to see that justice is served.

69. andyvictory says: Jun 22, 2013 2:29 AM

Can I sum it all up everyone so that this shameful football media firestorm can stop getting its rocks off and wait to report facts instead of speculation. Aaron Hernandez is scum on Earth. If he even remotely cared about his “homeboy”, “associate”, and all the other quirky nicknames you’ve given this poor victim over the course of the week, HE WOULD WANT JUSTICE AND BE COOPERATIVE! This is a heinous, hate-driven and violent crime. I feel like far too many people are over-speculating and “using” this for attention before the concrete evidence has even surfaced (which it will, very soon). Great job wasting a god given talent “Herndez”, enjoy all the rotting you will inevitably do. My heart goes out to the victims family.

70. dt58 says: Jun 22, 2013 3:02 AM

“..,right to play in the NFL”… well said.

71. clashpoint says: Jun 22, 2013 3:13 AM

Yep, sure does look bad for Hernandez. I see everyone bashing the guy who dared to say Lloyd might not have been a great person, and I am not sure why, its probably true. Not saying he deserved to die or his killers should get away with it, so stuff it anyone jumping to that conclusion. Just saying that most likely all four of them were/are not such wonderful people. I’d bet they’ve done jail-able things before now, and I wish they’d all been caught then, before someone got killed.

72. Ridley Me This says: Jun 22, 2013 3:21 AM

I think it’s funny how some people are asking why people think this is related to ray lewis so here is a quick history lesson. Ray Lewis was charged with 2 counts of MURDER. Not a “paper” obstruction of justice warrant, Ray Lewis was actually charged with murder. But why? why would he be charged with murder? Oh yeah, they found a murdered person’s blood in his rented car.

So now that I think about it, those people are right, Lewis and Hernandez cases aren’t related because the case against Lewis was way worse.

Oh yeah, and after being charged with murder Lewis missed no games, just a fine and an attaboy.

73. clashpoint says: Jun 22, 2013 3:23 AM

On the Big Ben stuff:

1. Hotel employee has sex with Ben, then the next day tells her best friends how she wants to have his baby. Hotel management finds out what she did and she got fired for violating hotel policies. Only then does she file suit, after getting fired. Quit championing gold diggers, you clowns.

2. Ben has sex with an over 18 college girl in a bar bathroom while his friends guard the door. Something she regrets? Probably, but it certainly wasm’t rape. So what anyway? I had sex in my college library’s bathroom once, and her friends guarded the door. It was awesome! Not a regret to be found anywhere.

3. Ben is by all accounts a happily married man and father these days. He grew up. Maybe some of you will too, someday.

74. 27xwschamps says: Jun 22, 2013 3:37 AM

Dude, u got OJ’s mumber on speed dial, he can give u some tips on beating the rap…..Sucka

75. lrjets says: Jun 22, 2013 5:22 AM

It wasn’t Rex’s fault?

76. mtavin says: Jun 22, 2013 5:31 AM

When you destroy your home surveillance system and obliterate your own cellphone, you are *not* declaring innocent till proven guilty.

77. coachbeck says: Jun 22, 2013 5:58 AM

Patriots take more chances on players than anyone. Yet teams like the bengals who do the same get blasted. W/o the tuck rule is the pats anything more than the buffalo bills of the 90′s ?

78. rukkus1 says: Jun 22, 2013 5:58 AM

walker615 says:Jun 21, 2013 11:00 PMSmoking marijuana is illegal. So, yeah. I suppose that was just a clumsy attempt to inject your opinion on yet another issue completely unrelated to the news at hand

It was a comparative analogy. He said the league suspends people for a non violent offense like marijuana use… then goes on to say they should at least be able to suspend Hernandez indefinitely for being involved in a murder or destroying evidence.

Welker615… everyone knows marijuana laws are a joke. The stuff is less dangerous than prescription painkillers or even beer. Even the overly politically correct Floorio.

79. coachbeck says: Jun 22, 2013 6:01 AM

Oh I forgot spy Gate and how the visitor head phones go out in the 3rd or 4th quarters at foxboro when the pats need them too.

80. bullcharger says: Jun 22, 2013 6:34 AM

Unless it turns out someone else killed the guy out side of the house and Hernandez isn’t actually covering up anything related to the murder the Patriots will cut him and fight for the money. They’ll cut him and never mention his name again.

81. ramitbaby says: Jun 22, 2013 6:37 AM

1. “As the suspects take solace in their legal rights and hatch strategies with their lawyers…”

Methinks “these” lawyers are low-salaried public defenders.

2. “While he has the right to remain silent in court, the NFL has the ability to strip from Hernandez the privilege of playing professional football unless he cooperates with authorities to their full and complete satisfaction.”

No it doesn’t,

82. censoredagain says: Jun 22, 2013 6:49 AM

Where’s Dexter when we need him?

He’d have this figured out, and Hernandez would be wrapped to a table in 48 hours

83. bostoncommon says: Jun 22, 2013 7:23 AM

PriorKnowledge says:Jun 21, 2013 10:47 PM

~~~~~~~

Thanks, Prior. Short sentences that take no thought to read (or write, for that matter). Absolute judgment. No black or white in your world. I’m so jealous, because mine comes in shades of gray.

84. fanfrommontreal says: Jun 22, 2013 7:38 AM

If you go to a Patriot’s fan blog you will see that they are smart enough to make the difference between football and a murder case. They all admit that Hernandez is in big trouble and acted like he was involved in this.
    I cannot say the same about the Pats haters who find a way to mix this sordid affair with the Pats organization.
    And it would be nice if medias like PFT and others would stop relaying every rumour they hear as if they where facts ( A warrant is issue! is not! is! is not, ect.).
    Why don’t you sit on your hands for five minutes and wait for the facts to unfold and then comment on them?
    And like someone suggested, why don’t you do some real investigating journalism and inform us about the other people involved in this? I haven’t read their names here so far except for the victim, maybe, just maybe they have something to do with this?

85. whysomanylosers says: Jun 22, 2013 7:38 AM

evrybdyhas1 says:
    Jun 22, 2013 1:13 AM
    ______________________________

Um, Ray Lewis plead GUILTY to “Obstruction of Justice” in exchange for his testimony against two of his buddies. Yes, the buddies were acquitted, but dont make it sound like Ray and Co were “innocent”.

You only need to look as far as OJ and Casey Anthony to see that “innocent” does not mean that “Justice” was served.

86. xcerebus1 says: Jun 22, 2013 7:39 AM

Any idea what time you’ll be posting your next ‘arrest warrant will be issued’ story based on ‘unnamed law enforcement personnel’? How about everyone waits until they actually charge him with something. They’ve been basically living in his house the last few days and haven’t found a thing. His cell phone being destroyed? If the NSA can get a record of your phone calls and texts, I’m pretty sure the cell carrier can too, as anyone watching an episode of CSI knows. His home security cameras? The guy was killed where they found him. They already admitted it. Either these cops have never worked on a crime before or they’re trying to squeeze the guy with the most to lose hoping he’ll do their jobs for them.

87. santolonius says: Jun 22, 2013 7:48 AM

nothing warped about big ben’s punishment except that he got off too light. prosecutors were very certain a crime was committed that night, but someone else got to it first.

88. whatjusthapped says: Jun 22, 2013 7:52 AM

NFL training camps are over a month away and I have a feeling that this case will move to a point where Hernandez will be charged before camp officially opens.

That gives the Patriots the perfect excuse to suspend him until the resolution of all legal matters. The NFL should not be used as legal leverage in this case, leave it to the MA authorities to prosecute the case based on the evidence. Hernandez is a total sleazeball and punk but the beauty of America is that everybody has due process, even the slimeballs among us.

89. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 8:00 AM

Why This Case Is Not Like The Ray Lewis Case From 12 Years Ago.
    Two Points:
    1. People who talk about Ray Lewis are ignorant of the facts of what really happened. So they have opinions based on this ignorance, which is typical. Ray did plead guilty to obstruction and did pay a $250,000 fine. The prosecutors never believed he killed anybody.
    2. We DO NOT KNOW WHO KILLED LLOYD. If Hernandez was directly involved then this is a key factual difference between this case and the Ray Lewis case.
    It’s easy to look at the superficial similarities and think they are the same type of case because they involve NFL players. My request is that people know the facts before they make comments based on their ignorance.
    Regardless, justice will come out here and the murderer(s) will get what’s coming to them.

90. hockeyfan28 says: Jun 22, 2013 8:01 AM

Another case where a team turns a blind eye to fact this guy was always a scumbag and his talent clouded their judgement

91. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 8:04 AM

Florida Case Question:
    How did the victim end up in an alley at 6:00 in the morning? Hernandez must have dumped him off there after shooting him. What does this say about his character? Instead of taking the victim to a hospital ER you dump him off in an alley and then drive off and leave him to die?

92. tattooit says: Jun 22, 2013 8:04 AM

walker615 says:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:00 PM
    ———
    _________________________________

Actually there is something wrong with it. It’s illegal. So it’s an opinion. One I agree with, but still an opinion.

93. bisugadaddy says: Jun 22, 2013 8:38 AM

not more Jan sixty years agoalker615 says:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:00 PM
    ———
    _________________________________

First of all, it’s only illegal in a hand full of states without medical marijuana laws in affect. Secondly, just because something is illegal doesn’t mean isn’t wrong. Unless you would have thought blacks and whites sharing a bathroom was “wrong” not more than 60 years ago.

94. keylimelight says: Jun 22, 2013 8:46 AM

vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 8:00 AM

1 . “…The prosecutors never believed [Lewis] killed anybody.”

More accurately: The prosecutors COULDN’T PROVE he killed anybody. Remember, crucial evidence (the white suit) in that case was destroyed.

2. “…look at the superficial similarities and think they are the same type of case because they involve NFL players.”

More accurately: The similarity of the cases is based on the destruction of evidence done by a person who was in the company of the deceased on the night(s) in question. (Lewis and Hernandez both being NFL players, however, IS a superficial comparison.)

Hernandez and company are banking on getting away with murder because of a lack of evidence that can prove them guilty.

95. jerseyspider says: Jun 22, 2013 9:00 AM

The Jake Ballard era has begun

96. jerseyspider says: Jun 22, 2013 9:07 AM

Rumor

97. pdixon920 says: Jun 22, 2013 9:13 AM

“Even under the NFL’s sometimes warped version of justice, which punishes grown men for smoking marijuana on their own time”. You do know that marijuana is illegal right? I’m not even saying I’m against it, you just perpetuate a growing attitude in this country that people don’t have to follow the laws they don’t like or agree with…isn’t that how we get the Michael Vicks, Ben Roethlisbergers, and Aaron Hernandez of the world?

98. istateyourname says: Jun 22, 2013 9:18 AM

This case is not like the Ray Lewis case in that for the Lewis deal, one posse ran into another posse and two guys not in Ray’s posse wound up dead. For Hernandez, looks like one of his posse got asked to leave the posse Michael Vick doggy style. See, totally different.

I’d also like to point out that whatever occurred here, also happened on a “grown man’s own time” and by the reasoning above should then be exempt from the silly conduct rules of the NFL.

Why would the NFL have any obligation to help law enforcement conduct an investigation of anything? The NFL is in the business of producing football games, not solving all of the problems in the world.

The NFL set their standards with Ray Lewis. There’s no crime too egregious, that’s too bad to be “involved” with that would preclude a person from receiving all the money, fame and adulation the NFL can muster, not to mention a big hug from the commissioner.

So hurry back Hernandez, get this crap behind you, the Patriots need a good tight end.

99. bigbadass says: Jun 22, 2013 9:30 AM

Seldom do you get to say something that really matters, this does and you did. Now will the NFL.

100. swagger52 says: Jun 22, 2013 9:31 AM

Do a search on…

Ray Lewis atlanta legacy not so storied

And it still doesn’t stop. Now they think gun-totin
    Hernandez with a violent history is somehow Ray Lewis.

Leave Ray out of it…In Baltimore we reviewed what Ray did and we OWNED it.

Stop blame shifting and OWN your boy Hernandez.

101. swagger52 says: Jun 22, 2013 9:39 AM

keylimite…

Wrong.

The story that is always left out is the bullet holes in Ray’s limo. Atlanta was a violent place, blocks have been destroyed. That is part of the story.

Hernandez is violent with a history of violence, that is part of the story. Ray Lewis has never been VIOLENT except on the football field – especially when owning the Patriots.

102. swagger52 says: Jun 22, 2013 9:44 AM

Atlanta new who killed the guy who died. The white suit would have proven nothing. They just used the white suit as a shiny piece of metal to attract Patriot fans for 15 years.

Hernandez destroyed his cell phone, his house monitoring system, in a premeditated killing that nobody knows yet who killed the victim.

Watch what happens to him…I suppose now that a Patriot is involved you expect another Tuck Rule, you want Patriots to be given a break. However, the police and the Legal System are not Walt Coleman and the bookies.

103. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 9:46 AM

@jerseyspider, you wrote:

“Rumor is that Odin was laying the pipe to both sistas when Hernandez found that he was not the father to his shorty’s baby he meted out some street justice. Holla”

WHERE DOES THIS COME FROM?

104. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 9:49 AM

swagger52 wrote TRUTH:
    “I realize Patriot fans never gave Ray Lewis the Benefit of the doubt, even though he was the scapegoat for Atlanta Politicians.

And it still doesn’t stop. Now they think gun-totin
    Hernandez with a violent history is somehow Ray Lewis.

However, now the Patriots and Patriot Fans don’t want to OWN Hernandez, instead they want to compare him to what happened to Ray.”

QUIT TRYING TO DEFLECT THE SITUATION BY ALWAYS REFERRING TO A 12 YEAR OLD CASE. FACE THAT FACTS OF WHAT HERNANDEZ AND HIS HOMIES DID. THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW.

Odin Lloyd was a good man who deserves justice.

105. keylimelight says: Jun 22, 2013 10:03 AM

swagger52 says: Jun 22, 2013 9:39 AM

“keylimite…
    Wrong.
    They new Ray Lewis never killed anybody because they new who did. They did know that Ray tried to cover it up. However, that was not a premeditated mistake, that was an error in judgment that occured in an instant. Ray Lewis Owned it, Baltimore Owned it. ”

_______

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

106. giantssb42champs says: Jun 22, 2013 10:12 AM

Tell me again how the Pats were “overdue” for something like this hater
    ————————————–
    Oh let’s see:
    - videocheating
    - burning videotape evidence of it
    - signing one bad guy after another (ochostinko, moss, haynesworth, stall worth)
    - coach who cheats with married women
    - QB who dumps his model wife for an upgrade
    - tuck rule
    - obnoxious fan base
    - owner who has the commissioner in his pocket

I’d just call it karma.

107. clarencewhorley says: Jun 22, 2013 10:22 AM

Who wants to bet this was a drug deal gone bad?

Didn’t they find a car at the murder scene? Couldn’t the victim have driven to this location to buy/sell drugs and got shot by someone he was meeting.

Remember Hernandez grew up in CT w

108. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 22, 2013 10:30 AM

swagger52 | Jun 22, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
    Do a search on…

Ray Lewis atlanta legacy not so storied

And it still doesn’t stop. Now they think gun-totin
    Hernandez with a violent history is somehow Ray Lewis.

Leave Ray out of it…In Baltimore we reviewed what Ray did and we OWNED it.

Stop blame shifting and OWN your boy Hernandez.

Has to be one of the dumbest things I have had the misfortune of reading on PFT. But hey it is from a Ray Lewis supporter….Nuff said.

109. petedutcherjr says: Jun 22, 2013 10:46 AM

What if the guy is innocent? He should not be punished until things are proved. If he’s guilty he should never play football again or even walk the streets, but if it turns out he is innocent there is injustice being done to him as well.

110. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 11:00 AM

Nobody is telling us the truth of what is going on here. After five days the police should make a statement or have a news conference.

111. goawayeverybody says: Jun 22, 2013 11:09 AM

Mark my word, Aaron Hernandez will not spend a single night in jail for this and he is obviously the killer here.

112. bearclaw69 says: Jun 22, 2013 11:10 AM

@bombayjon
    Most states have at-will employment laws. That means anyone can be fired anytime for any reason…except blatant discrimination or for reporting sexual harrassment. At will means I can fire you because I don’t like the way you dress. Employees do NOT have a right to a job. Jobs are at the discretion of those who provide them, and can be terminated as easily as they are given.

113. tattooit says: Jun 22, 2013 11:20 AM

_________________________________

It’s not a question of right or wrong, it’s a question of your comprehension of what a “FACT” and “OPINION” is. Whether you or I think it’s right or wrong, is an opinion. I think you missed the point there.

114. condor75 says: Jun 22, 2013 11:25 AM

PriorKnowledge says:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:47 PM
    Apparently you witnessed the whole thing, why don’t you tell the cops

115. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 11:32 AM

You wrote:
    “anyone can be fired anytime for any reason” and that is totally untrue here for two big reasons:
    1. Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) limits the rights of an employer to fire an employee who is in the union.
    2. Individual Contract. This also limits the right of an employer to fire an employee who is under contract.
    In both cases it is not state law that governs but the contract language. In other words, the NFL players have rights under their contracts. Think about how many different state laws come into play for all the NFL teams. This is the only way to operate a league like this.
    We’ll be reading a lot more about these contracts in the future as the Hernandez case unfolds. Right now we don’t know anything for sure. It’s all speculation.

116. Author says: Jun 22, 2013 11:34 AM

Very well said, Mike. I seem to recall that the Commissioner was very swift in lowering the boom on Ricky Williams years ago in the interest of protecting the shield of the NFL. In this case it is very obvious that if Hernandez did not commit murder then he definitely knows something about what happened. Why is not the commissioner moving swiftly in this case where a murder was committed? This is a teachable moment that the NFL can have a great part in serving our youth by showing that you cannot expect to play in the NFL if you are going to be associating with murderers, gangs, or illegal situations. The NFL needs to act just as swiftly as it did in cases like Ricky Williams. Other kids are watching.

117. 22dallas22 says: Jun 22, 2013 11:45 AM

For once, I may agree with a punishment given by Goodell…holy crap

118. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 11:45 AM

The NFL and the Patriots and the State Police have been totally silent all week. WTF is going on here? Nobody is saying anything official. This is both weird and unusual.

119. eleventyeight says: Jun 22, 2013 11:52 AM

Does that mean that you think that both women made their stories up?
    —————————————————————

You sound petty and childish bellowing about a nothing that you think is something.

Just b/c “two women” said it in no way makes it true.

Charles Manson at one point had as many as thirteen women saying he was a god.

By your account, then, Manson MUST be a god b/c waaay more than two women said it

……..p-shaw………….

120. cometkazie says: Jun 22, 2013 11:58 AM

When I hear an aggrieved person calling for “justice,” it’s been my experience that they want vengeance and the court system just gets in the way.

121. istateyourname says: Jun 22, 2013 12:27 PM

“Do a search on…
    Ray Lewis atlanta legacy not so storied”

So while Mr. Lewis held his head in his hands lamenting the fact that his career could end just like that, ask yourself why would his career have to end if he didn’t do anything wrong there?

Do you think your career should end if you see somebody fighting?
    Do you think your career should end if your friends get into a fight?
    Do you think your career should end if you break up a fight?
    Do you think your career should end if you protect yourself from an attack?
    Do you think your career should end if you punch and throw a guy into a tree right before your buddy comes in and stabs him to death? Oops, yeah, maybe that one the boss wouldn’t like to hear about, right? Not the kind of teamwork that they look for on the ol’ performance review.

So as long as Hernandez didn’t actually pull the trigger, he should be welcome in the NFL if they are consistent with past practices.

122. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 12:47 PM

Over 12 years ago, Ray Lewis was charged with and pled guilty to obstruction of justice in a murder case outside an Atlanta night club. He paid a $250,000 fine. He was not accused of killing anybody.

Why do Pats fans keep mentioning Ray Lewis when his case has nothing to do with whether or not Aaron Hernandez killed his buddy Lloyd?

123. audioflint says: Jun 22, 2013 1:29 PM

Great article. Agreed.

124. fishyinalittledishy says: Jun 22, 2013 1:53 PM

How many gun related incidents is that now what an embarrassment to not just the Nfl but more importantly America. Every country has its fare share of idiots but you guys legally let them have the most dangerous weapon of all a small firearm to hide from view until they want to use it probably in a mad drunk or doped rage. The end of another life. Kaput no going back. America is the greatest of country’s but this is one problem that’s never going to go away in my lifetime and that really angers me. Criminals have guns you can’t change that but somebody welding a gun around that’s part of one of the most well run ball clubs ever that’s not right in my opinion.

125. johnelwayismydad says: Jun 22, 2013 3:05 PM

Hernandez has already done too much damage to not be the prime suspect.

126. vibesid says: Jun 22, 2013 3:08 PM

The Florida victim was arrested several times, not Lloyd. The Florida guy was a close friend of AH, and they flew to FL together for R&R. He had spent 18 months in prison for dealing cocaine. He has also been convicted of at least one other felony. These are the kinds of friends AH has in Connecticut.

127. northstarnic says: Jun 22, 2013 4:16 PM

Couldn’t agree more. The Lloyd family deserves justice. Let’s all hope and pray that this doesn’t turn into a ray Lewis type situation where a scapegoat is found to take the punishment for the group. The American justice system is dysfunctional at best. Hopefully money won’t decide the outcome of this tragedy.

128. jprcox says: Jun 24, 2013 2:00 PM

Can you even imagine how we would feel right now if our son was murdered, and the guy who he was last seen with was destroying evidence to solve that murder?

Regardless if Hernandez didn’t kill this man, which it appears likely he did, the NFL should make sure he never plays again. Who would accept this guy on their team?