Geno Smith: I’ve already made a giant leap

Geno Smith AP

Geno Smith has a big transition to make from running West Virginia’s spread offense at the college level to quarterbacking the West Coast-style scheme offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is installing in his first season with the Jets.

According to Smith, the transition is going very well. Smith spoke to Andrew Siciliano of the NFL Network at the rookie symposium in Ohio on Monday and said that he’s made big strides in his short time with the Jets since they drafted him in the second round in April.

“I’ve already made a giant leap,” Smith said. “Coming from a spread system where the biggest transition for me is going to be the footwork. It’s not as if I can’t do it, it’s the fact that I haven’t done it enough. The good amount of reps that I got in rookie camp, minicamp, OTAs has helped me make that leap and transition, and make giant strides. I was able get in with the first team and do some really good things.”

Center Nick Mangold said recently that he thought Smith was going to have to “work his butt off” in order to beat out Mark Sanchez as the starting quarterback, so it would seem there’s still plenty for Smith to do when the team gets to training camp. Under most circumstances, you’d say that the Jets would be looking for a reason to go with Smith over a guy with 52 turnovers in his last 31 starts but the handling of Sanchez’s career to this point makes it clear that the Jets don’t do things the same way as everyone else at quarterback.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Geno Smith: I’ve already made a giant leap”
  1. catquick says: Jun 24, 2013 3:07 PM

I’m stunned! I expected him to say” I’m a nitwit and just can’t get his! I should quit right now and sell Earth shoes

2. logicalvoicesays says: Jun 24, 2013 3:08 PM

In three years time, Geno will be the third best QB in football. #RGIIIholdsthenumber1spotuntilheretires

3. overratedsteelerhater says: Jun 24, 2013 3:13 PM

this guy is not the answer.back-up at best..jets
    try again in 2014….

4. atcojack says: Jun 24, 2013 3:13 PM

He wishes!

Sincerely,
    A Giants fan.

5. micknangold says: Jun 24, 2013 3:15 PM

Geno Smith is going to start all 16 games, and the Jets will be better than advertised.

6. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 24, 2013 3:17 PM

He’s nearing icon status as we speak…

7. jrcoop says: Jun 24, 2013 3:18 PM

Not to make excuses, but…

8. itsthemelman82 says: Jun 24, 2013 3:20 PM

He could’ve made a small step and he’d still be a better option than Sanchez… Jets still will suck tho!

9. trollhammer20 says: Jun 24, 2013 3:22 PM

That throwing motion looks like it’s made to be stripped from behind….

10. sdb0ltz says: Jun 24, 2013 3:27 PM

Geno “talk myself up” Smith

11. deltaoracle says: Jun 24, 2013 3:30 PM

“One small step for man…”

12. skinswillsurprise says: Jun 24, 2013 3:31 PM

Logicalvoice please stop! As a Skins fan, you are making us all look like Seahawks fans or peytonsneck18. Please stop please. Good luck Geno. HTTR!

13. RexCanCoach says: Jun 24, 2013 3:32 PM

The kid is handling the NY media pretty well. Let’s see how he progresses in training camp before annointing him. But I like what I see so far.

14. denverdude7 says: Jun 24, 2013 3:34 PM

Geno Smith could possibly become a decent NFL quarterback some day.

But, like the Browns, the Jets are a team where quarterbacks go to die.

15. mrmet21 says: Jun 24, 2013 3:39 PM

As people discount the jets think about this. We had no oline no wrs a inept rb and we lost our best player on defense. Yet up untill week 14 we were in contention for a playoff spot. The jets will make the playoffs this season LOCK IT UP

16. citnetter says: Jun 24, 2013 3:42 PM

I know that picture of him above is just single snapshot, but the angle of his arm is eerily similar to what Vince Young’s used to look like when he threw the ball. We’ll see, but if he throws like that all the time, he might have some major wind-up issues.

17. softhelmet says: Jun 24, 2013 3:48 PM

I guess that supposed leap is a little late, a little sooner and you could have gone in round 1! Oh well…

18. spankygreen says: Jun 24, 2013 4:13 PM

softhelmet says:

Mock all you want, but if Sanchez was the LONG TERM answer,there would have not been a need to take a QB in the draft at all……

Face it, Sanchez is last years news. It’s time to
    saddle up to the new sheriff….

19. rushmatic says: Jun 24, 2013 4:13 PM

Funny, slap Tebow skin on him and that shot right there looks mighty similar.

20. ccjcsr says: Jun 24, 2013 4:17 PM

Can’t wait for preseason to start so the separation can prevail

21. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 24, 2013 4:18 PM

Compared to Sanchez showing up is a Giant Leap.

22. snaponrules says: Jun 24, 2013 4:18 PM

“Under most circumstances, you’d say that the Jets would be looking for a reason to go with Smith over a guy with 52 turnovers in his last 31 starts but the handling of Sanchez’s career to this point makes it clear that the Jets don’t do things the same way as everyone else at quarterback.”

I am no Jets fan. But if that is your only criteria for a starting QB, Sanchez should start.
    Because over Geno’s last 48 games he has fumbled 32 times and threw 21 int’s. Just glad as hell neither guy is my teams starting QB.

23. hooterdawg says: Jun 24, 2013 4:26 PM

Mangold should focus on his blocking instead of his mouthing. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was one of the anonymous Jets complaining about Sanchez last season.

24. titansbro says: Jun 24, 2013 4:44 PM

Face, meet ground. I mean he will fall flat in his face.

25. buckybadger says: Jun 24, 2013 4:51 PM

What is it with the Jets getting QBs with no accuracy. Last year they bring in Tebow who couldn’t hit the ocean from a boat than they get this guy who is only slightly better.

26. clownsfan says: Jun 24, 2013 5:31 PM

Geno Smith sux.

27. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 24, 2013 7:15 PM

It’s several dozen leaps to score a TD, plus you might need more than one. Keep working Rook.

28. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 24, 2013 8:25 PM

If being the next guy New Yorkers want to replace Sanchez, then he’s made great strides.

29. greyhawk9 says: Jun 24, 2013 9:09 PM

unfortunately smith later dislocated his throwing shoulder while continuing to pat himself on the back.

30. spankygreen says: Jun 24, 2013 11:25 PM

not a Jets fan by no means, but as I listen to comments in favor of Sanchez I scratch my head…..Here you have an upgrade in QB with Smith yet you idiots still find a way to want to give Sanchez the football for another season….Sanchez has crested, there is no upside to see…..cut your loses, get behind the new QB and look forward to better days……After 4 years, Sanchez has not grown as a QB….the sooner your knuckleheads cut sling load the sooner you start to have success as a franchise…..get a smart OC and start to look like a football team…….

31. rick1k6 says: Jun 25, 2013 12:14 AM

Great, and after you throw your first pick, the Jets fans will tell you to take a flying leap. Or possibly be fruitful and multiply…but not in those exact words,

32. pftname says: Jun 25, 2013 3:29 AM

buckybadger says:
    Jun 24, 2013 4:51 PM

________
    So thats why Chad Pennington is the most accurate passer ever? Sorry to call you out if you’re only 15, I wouldn’t expect you to know that then

33. lrjets says: Jun 25, 2013 6:00 AM

Dear Jets Critics:

I’m sure the Jets coaching staff appreciates the suggestions you made regarding Geno’s throwing motion.

I’m certain without your combined input, they’d never have noticed.

Because of that the Jets shall be better than you think and might even beat the team you anonymously root for .

34. pisano says: Jun 25, 2013 10:08 AM

Just short of Geno being in a wheel chair would be an improvement over Sanchez.