Theismann wants to replace Huff on Redskins broadcasts

Theismann AP

Well, now we know why Joe Theismann recently defended the Redskins’ name:  Theismann wants to work for the team.

Specifically, he wants to replace Sam Huff on the team’s radio broadcasts.

Theismann disclosed his interest during Monday’s edition of The Holden & Danny Show on 106. The Fan in D.C.

“I certainly would have an interest if the opportunity was presented,” Theismann said when asked if he’d like the job.  “I’ve done everything you can do in the media, including radio.  I think the Redskins are on the verge of becoming a force in the NFL.”

He then went on to do that which every member of the local radio team is supposed to do.  He gushed about the team, relentlessly and endlessly.

By that standard, he should be hired.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
45 Responses to “Theismann wants to replace Huff on Redskins broadcasts”
  1. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 24, 2013 4:15 PM

I can see it now, next years broadCAST (get it, CAST, I know some of you won’t) crew will be RGknee and Joe Thighsman.

2. jahbird says: Jun 24, 2013 4:19 PM

Nobody wants to hear Joey Sunshine on the Radio.

3. comatrip1 says: Jun 24, 2013 4:20 PM

We already do a shot every time he talks about his leg injury on a regular broadcast. Imagine how drunk we’ll be when he’s calling RGIII and talking about his leg every week.

4. ccjcsr says: Jun 24, 2013 4:20 PM

So he can critique RGKnee as the second best QB in Redskins history.

#redskinsarehorrible

5. skinswillsurprise says: Jun 24, 2013 4:23 PM

You Colts fans are just about more aggravating than Seahawks fans. Geez! Some people can make a site like this so unbearable. On the subject now. I really don’t care who is in the radio booth. I’m a tv type of guy. Good luck to whomever is in the booth. HTTR!

6. rajbais says: Jun 24, 2013 4:25 PM

How about no.

I turned off the Skins/Colts preseason game in 2012 because he was calling it.

7. MP says: Jun 24, 2013 4:26 PM

I feel bad for Joe. It seems he would suck on a wooden stick for a nickel these days.

8. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 24, 2013 4:26 PM

How can he call a game if he has to run to the bathroom every five minutes?

9. fissels says: Jun 24, 2013 4:29 PM

They’re crazy if they let him do the games. He never shuts up.

10. nyfootballgiants says: Jun 24, 2013 4:30 PM

Its Radio…… There are a lot worse out there….

11. kane337 says: Jun 24, 2013 4:30 PM

Joe will need to use the bathroom during all commercial breaks.

12. logicalvoicesays says: Jun 24, 2013 4:33 PM

I refuse to listen to the radio broadcast until monotone/snake Michael is out of the booth. #Backstabber

13. elvis2013 says: Jun 24, 2013 4:41 PM

Maybe he can let us know more about that Norman Einstein fella

14. nfloracle says: Jun 24, 2013 4:42 PM

If they want a gusher who gushes relentlessly and endlessly, then they’re going to hire Jon Gruden.

15. grpatriot says: Jun 24, 2013 4:44 PM

You would have to take 100 Theismans to equal 1 Huff! Joe has prostate issues!

16. mustbechris says: Jun 24, 2013 4:49 PM

But will his prostate allow him?

17. spiccoli says: Jun 24, 2013 4:53 PM

@ColtsWinColtsWin!!

ROY! Nuff said…

18. dcsween says: Jun 24, 2013 4:56 PM

Have Larry Michael (or anybody other than Theissman) replace Sam Huff. Bring back Frank Herzog for the play-by-play.

Actually, it would be good to have someone who knows the difference between the inside zone and outside zone.

19. cmm10304 says: Jun 24, 2013 5:00 PM

I’d love it! There are very few former Super Bowl Champions that have as much experience as Joe does calling games. He’s great on our pre-season tv telecasts and I always enjoyed him and McGuire together on Sunday nights. I hope as least his name is in the running. #HTTRedskins

20. sbdt says: Jun 24, 2013 5:12 PM

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

21. coolgato13 says: Jun 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Please. Just. NO!
    There is a reason why NFL Network dropped him.
    He is beyond awful.

22. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jun 24, 2013 5:20 PM

joe’s prostate is giving him fits; and the prospect of him trying to replace part of the sonny and sam team is giving everyone else fits… and no matter how much beta sita sterisol you take, it doesn’t help.

23. jgg1 says: Jun 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Please, Please, Please Washington please Hire Joe. That would get him off TV!!!

24. rg3sus says: Jun 24, 2013 5:25 PM

Noooooooooo! I am the biggest skins fan on earth, and I can’t stand the guy. Aside from just sucking at life, in the booth he gets names wrong all the time and constantly talks about his own career. Not good traits in an announcer. Heck he called Santana Moss by the wrong name TWICE in one game and at the time he was our biggest star

25. ausernamethatisavailable says: Jun 24, 2013 5:26 PM

Is this after he trains lebron to replace rgiii as qb?

26. getyourownname says: Jun 24, 2013 5:42 PM

There are serious health risks here. Anyone else in the booth is likely to be asphyxiated when he sucks out the oxygen to support his non-stop talking.

27. rex1979 says: Jun 24, 2013 5:45 PM

No. Please. No.

This is the man who coined the word “formation-ing” when describing an offensive pre-snap formation shift.

Joey Sunshine is the worst.

28. MyTeamsAllStink says: Jun 24, 2013 5:56 PM

I met Theismann once.Very nice guy.He still stinks as an announcer

29. Panda Claus says: Jun 24, 2013 6:06 PM

Nothing against Joe, but the logical move would be to move Doc Walker into the booth from his game day job as sideline reporter. He knows the game and would no longer be getting the leftover air time now that Sam Huff has retired.

30. stunzeed5 says: Jun 24, 2013 6:07 PM

Joey T. is a super bowl champion and Redskin LEGEND. I’d love to listen to him in the booth.

31. commonsensedude says: Jun 24, 2013 6:15 PM

I like Theisman personally and hope he gets a great gig somewhere else. But I would rather walk the center lane of the DC Beltway during rush hour than listen to this guy talk for three hours.

32. dlr4skins says: Jun 24, 2013 6:28 PM

For the love of prostrates everywhere, please God no!

And as if Larry “Snyder Spokesman” Michaels isn’t enough?

I had trouble tuning in before.

33. miamizombie says: Jun 24, 2013 6:50 PM

Met Joe twice, once at McDonald’s, once at the airport. Real nice guy, loves talking football. I don’t understand all the hate.

He sure won’t be napping the way Huff was towards the end.

34. whitdog23 says: Jun 24, 2013 7:04 PM

if you want the job….apply for it.
    quit cowering behind the “if the opportunity was presented”. just embarrassing!

35. iceburgskin202 says: Jun 24, 2013 7:24 PM

I’ll take Fred Smoot he talks almost as much as theissman but he’s funny!!

36. cowboyhater says: Jun 24, 2013 7:36 PM

Sorry folks, but I like Joe and his expert analysis. If you actually sit and listen to what he has to say instead insulting him, you will find that he does know the game very well. He would be an excellent replacement to Sonny, but I would like to see Cooley, Arrington, or “Doc” take Sam’s spot. Preferably Arrington to set up a nice D, and O tandem between Arrington and Joe. I listened to the interview live, and he was not begging for the gig, he was asked a question, and answered exactly the way I thought he would. Believe it or not to all of those outside of the DC area, but most ex players remain in the area, and are adored by the fans. This fan base is crazy about the ex redskins, and appreciate what the players have done for the team, and the community. That includes the players that had left for another NFL organization. We are true die hard fans. That’s a fact!! HTTR!!

37. modhairken says: Jun 24, 2013 8:49 PM

Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins

38. whodey420 says: Jun 24, 2013 10:14 PM

Joe would be a good choice for the radio gig.
    Hopefully his booth will be close to the Men’s
    room!! It could always be sponsored by “Super Beta” Prostate Medication!

Even when I first started broadcasting, I’d be hit with sudden urges to go – so I always had to know where the closest bathroom was. My prostate was really getting to me. Does any of this sound familiar? That’s because many men over 40 have issues that come with an aging prostate. When I found out about Super Beta Prostate – the most widely used supplement for supporting a healthy prostate – I decided I should try it. With over 5 million bottles sold and a trusted 10 year history, it’s no surprise that it works! Wow, what a difference Super Beta Prostate made for me! I no longer have to go so frequently and I usually sleep through the night. It works for me, and now I wake up refreshed, ready to tackle anything.

39. GenXJay says: Jun 24, 2013 10:17 PM

Buy a piss bag & break a leg, Joe.

40. the3taveren says: Jun 25, 2013 2:28 AM

I don’t mind Joey T that much but I know there are tons of Skins fans that don’t. My first choice would be Brian Mitchell and my second choice is the most logical, Rick “doc” Walker. However, Doc willnot not say Redskins on the air and that could be a problem! My next choice would be Chris Cooley or John Riggins.

To Coltslosecoltslose! Joey T had his Tib/fib (aka shin) broken by LT, nothis his femor (thigh). For a joke like that to be funny you have to get the body part right!

41. jpaq68 says: Jun 25, 2013 8:58 AM

Joe probably needs the money for his alimony payments. Anything to keep this clown off of television is OK in my book.

42. dcsween says: Jun 25, 2013 9:55 AM

It didn’t occur to me what a no-brainer this was till hearing the local chatter last night. Chris Cooley. He knows the game — the modern game, not Joey Sunshine’s yestergame. Knows the offense. Is hilarious. Wants nothing more than to be associated with the Skins forever. Has another 30-35 years left in him as an announcer for the team. Would be a perfect foil for Sonny.

43. gregmorris78 says: Jun 25, 2013 9:56 AM

florio is right, pretty obvious brown stuff on your nose there joe.

oneProblem with joe is that people dont like working with him. he isnt that good and his commentary is condescending at times.

I love the qb jt and thanks for the memories but if dan snyder wants to impress me, he needs to mend fences with other redskin greats like darryl green, john riggins, art monk, more & more. Another bad move by snyder if he hires joe to fill this position, something the coach has no control over.

it made me sick seeing ex steeler randel-el hired as team spokesman – really dumb. During games id yell for him to go back to pittsburgh. Dan snyder has alienated a good many ex redskin greats and sadly, given his people skills, there may not be any turning back.

Sonny gets stroked by dan, dan gets stroked by joe t…

44. greyhawk9 says: Jun 25, 2013 11:55 AM

I hope his prostate wont be giving him fits

45. rg3isamericasqb says: Jun 26, 2013 4:30 PM

Arrington or Cooley. No Theisman. He stinks as an announcer.