Torrey Smith gets into it with Pats fans on Twitter

New England Patriots v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

At a time when anything mildly controversial brings out the “I’m sorry to those I offended,” reply, give Torrey Smith credit for being firm in his convictions.

The Ravens wide receiver doesn’t like most Patriots fans, it seems.

Smith has been going back and forth with New Englanders on Twitter for days, really months, going back to his emotional performance in September after the death of his brother in a motorcycle accident. But the recent volley, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, has taken it to the next level of internet fights.

When last September’s win over the Patriots was coupled with a playoff win in January, Smith said he got a load of insensitive messages.

“Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday,” Smith wrote in January. “Yet NE fans cry about class.”

Of course, Smith’s not innocent of taunting, remarking that he was pulling for the Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Finals, and that: “I hate everything about NE except KG.” (Presumably that’s Kevin Garnett, unless he really respects the work of Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald).

That drew them out of their holes, and Smith continued, saying: “I understand that every Fan base has bad fans what I’m saying is NE fans have more than others and think they are better than everyone else.”

He also retweeted a photo someone sent him or a motorcycle arcade game, taunting him about his brother’s death.

That triggered what amounts to a screed:

“As much as I dislike MOST of the fan base I can honestly say that I respect the coaches and ownership,” he wrote. “Ok I’m done starting stuff before I get a phone call from our organization haha…no apologies I meant what I said. .. I’m done responding to fans who confirmed what I originally said…having 1 fan base out of 32 hate you isn’t bad…don’t need y’all see ya.”

He later pointed out he was ready to end the feud, saying: “The Mrs is mad at me for not taking the high road.”

The Mrs. is obviously unfamiliar with the Twitter, where the high road is generally the least-traveled.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “Torrey Smith gets into it with Pats fans on Twitter”
  1. jhein23 says: Jun 24, 2013 7:24 AM

I’ve been saying this for years – Boston fans are the worst. They have such a superiority complex over everyone. I can’t stand them or their teams. I hate everything about the Red Sox and Patriots especially. Can you imagine Patriots fans reaction if another team’s coach started walking off the sideline towards the lockerroom refusing to shake the other coaches hand while there is still time on the clock? And they highly overrate their players too. How can Tom Brady be the best QB of all-time when he’s had such stinker performances as last years AFC championship game and lost not 1 but 2 Super Bowls? Joe Montana 4-0 and never threw an INT in the big game.

2. jtchernak says: Jun 24, 2013 7:27 AM

As a patriots fan he is correct but didn’t mention the crazy amount of bandwagon fans here.

3. tim2200 says: Jun 24, 2013 7:30 AM

Take a bow Patriot fans.
    It’s June. It’s the off-season. Torrey Smith is a member of the Super Bowl champ Ravens.
    Yet who and/or what is on Torrey Smith’s mind??
    New England Patriot fans!!
    Take a bow.

4. classyjacklambert says: Jun 24, 2013 7:35 AM

Damnit! I really don’t want to like Torrey Smith, but he’s making it difficult.

5. grpatriot says: Jun 24, 2013 7:46 AM

Can’t we all, just get along?

6. maven2222 says: Jun 24, 2013 7:48 AM

As much as I hate what the NE fans were saying, T Smith is a professional and shouldn’t be stooping to these levels. He’s got a lot of growing up to do.

7. reed20fence says: Jun 24, 2013 7:56 AM

You’re always gonna have pansy-as$ people taking advantage of internet anonymity in all fan bases and all sports. Can’t let it get to ya. Even if you just buried your kid brother and they’re mocking him, his death, you, and your family.

Had we been playing the Packers in week 3 you still woulda had some scholarly fans pulling that stuff, and that’s about as classy a fan base as there is.

It’s just the nature of the internet beast.

8. pnut87 says: Jun 24, 2013 8:00 AM

This is why athletes and other famous types should stay off social media. All it does is get you in trouble…

9. Iknoweverything says: Jun 24, 2013 8:06 AM

Its pretty well known that the Pats “fans” are the the most obnoxious, excuse-ready, and mouthy in the league. They have displayed on way too many occasions that they have the least amount of education and have zero class.
    Torrey sees it, the whole league sees it. There whoole fanbase was picked on throughout their school years, and 90% of the “fans” only became so about 12 years ago.
    Its no coincidence that there has been no titles sinceCheatingGate.
    Zero legitimate championships
    Zero classy fans
    Zero class ownership
    Zero sportsmanship, ethics coach

10. infectorman says: Jun 24, 2013 8:18 AM

On the one hand, there is definitely a lot of knuckleheads here in NE.
    On the other hand, Pro Athletes using Twitter to perpetuate arguments and bad-blood with fans is ridiculously immature.

You’d think Mr. Smith would have better things to do with his time than bicker with a bunch of NE a-holes.
    Mrs Smith is right, Torrey. Find a more productive use of your time.

11. rhodesclosed29 says: Jun 24, 2013 8:21 AM

who cares about the ignorant people of boston I say ignorant bc obviously some people from boston can’t separate football from real life.

12. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 24, 2013 8:22 AM

Some NE fans have been downright cruel to this man who carries no baggage and has turned out to be nothing short of top flight (SB Champion) WR and model human being.

13. flash1283 says: Jun 24, 2013 8:31 AM

The problem is Torrey, you have not met or interacted with “MOST” of the fans. You’re basing you opinion on the handful you have interacted with on the internet/social media.

Grow up!

14. audge86 says: Jun 24, 2013 8:32 AM

i’m a pats fan who always respected smith

guess the feeling isn’t mutual!

15. jiveturkeygobbler says: Jun 24, 2013 8:40 AM

What kind of person taunts someone over their brother’s death? Twitter is for those who need attention and acceptance from others.

16. ketch20too says: Jun 24, 2013 8:40 AM

Torrey Smith doing his best Captain Obvious impression.

17. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: Jun 24, 2013 8:42 AM

He’s right on.

18. realskipbayless says: Jun 24, 2013 8:45 AM

Another classless player from a classless organization.

19. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 24, 2013 8:53 AM

I enjoy a witty shot as much as the next guy, but dude deserves more respect than to bring up his brother like that.

That’s not being a bad fan, that’s being a bad human being. With that said, doesn’t surprise me he’s a Pat’s fan.

20. Patskrieg dot com says: Jun 24, 2013 8:54 AM

Smith has the last Lombardi trophy and for now the last laugh.

Twitter buttheads shut up.

21. afcdomination says: Jun 24, 2013 8:58 AM

been seeing this type of stuff a lot lately.

the problem is NOT with a specific team and their fans

the problem is with a small number of EVERY fan base, basically a number of people in general, who enjoy spreading unbelievable hate through social networking.

to then take that experience with those pains in the rear who in no way represent the entire fan base as a whole, and point to them all as the problem…well that is simply ridiculous

Im sure if Brady was on twitter, he would get the same from people claiming to be ravens fans wishing him ill as well.

22. anhdazman says: Jun 24, 2013 9:00 AM

A lot of athletes and even normal every day people, should have no business using twitter.

I think they actually bring on more unnecessary stress into their life.

23. hwentworth says: Jun 24, 2013 9:08 AM

Another case of an athlete trying to make a legitimate point and then Schrute-ing it into the ground. He missed this argument like he was a part of the Broncos defensive backfield.

24. skleech22 says: Jun 24, 2013 9:09 AM

I agree with Smith.pats fans are elitest and classless fans.yet,everybody and their grandmother know they cheated for their championships!

25. metitometin says: Jun 24, 2013 9:11 AM

Geez, wasn’t it a couple of drunk Oriole’s fans that nearly beat a Yankee’s fan to death a couple of weeks ago for daring to wear a Yankee’s cap at Camden Yards? Talk about class, huh? Can’t say that any Pats or Red Sox fan has stooped to that level yet.

Get over yourself Torrey. There are bad fans everywhere in every city including your own. Deal with it.

26. metitometin says: Jun 24, 2013 9:13 AM

Uh oh, here we are with the bogus cheating comments again. EVERY team cheats. EVERY team was videotaping. Goodell sent that memo about videotaping to EVERY team in the NFL. If the Pats were the only team videotaping, then why did Goodell send that memo to EVERY team in the NFL?
    People really need to get a clue.

27. ravensterps says: Jun 24, 2013 9:19 AM

Reminds me of all the racism coming from Boston on twitter after Joel Ward scored the game winning goal against the Bruins in game 7. People in Boston often say, “it happens everywhere.” They may be right, but we almost never see it.

28. bostonian13 says: Jun 24, 2013 9:23 AM

When a fan from New England boos the opposing team it’s like then end of the world and suddenly we’re “classless”. When a fan from another team boos and taunts it’s just normal. The reason for us being an issue because for over a decade the Pats won 3 Super Bowls, appeared in 5 total, they’ve been consistently winning, and have arguably one of the best QBs and coach on their team. We get bashed cause we’re used to winning and teams/players/media will find anything they can against us. Yes, New England fans in total are rowdy but that’s what makes us NE fans. It’s tough to play in Boston because we want winners, why cheer a guy who’s playing like crap? No sense. It’s seems like the Ravens care more about rubbing stuff in the Pats face rather than cherishing their Super Bowl victory. You hate everything about Boston?!? Lol. Please tell me more about how much Baltimore is a much better city than Boston?! Oh yeah that’s right, you can’t!

29. patriotenvy says: Jun 24, 2013 9:26 AM

In a lot of parts of the country people flip the finger and it doesn’t mean anything. In New England if you flip the bird you better be ready to fight.

30. ravensterpsarmystrong says: Jun 24, 2013 9:32 AM

TSmith, somethings, peope/fans, issues should just be ignored. We beat them twice last year, are the reigning SB champs and that speaks volumes and for itself. Let’s keep working towards next season.

31. coseybedaman says: Jun 24, 2013 9:33 AM

Interesting how people are going to come on here, and bash Torrey Smith for defending a deceased family member. Anyone who wouldnt do the same thing needs to have a spine implanted in their weak body. I dont care if he is a pro athlete. He is a man, and a man’s nature is to defend his family

32. east96st says: Jun 24, 2013 9:57 AM

At some point, some owner is going wise up and make each player sign a “no Twitter” clause in their contract. I have yet to hear of ONE professional athlete that got ANYTHING positive from Twitter that outweighed the negatives. I have to admit, when Twitter first came out, I thought it was an interesting “fad” with a limited shelf life. Now, I’m just baffled as to why people subject themselves to that kind of abuse day in day out. You want verbal abuse all day, just get married, have kids, and work in an office.

33. nflgreedleague says: Jun 24, 2013 10:10 AM

You know I understand sore losers, I mean I hate to lose and I imagine most competitive people do but I will never understand sore winners. I think NE, Pitt and now Baltimore have fans that more then qualify as sore winners. I can only hope that these internet trolls are just little teenage punks that somehow think that even though they personally have absolutley NOTHING to do with their teams success that they have the right to get online and stink it up.

34. realskipbayless says: Jun 24, 2013 10:15 AM

As a person that lives 30 mins away from Baltimore I can say that their fans are A LOT worse than pats fans. It is def classless to taunt a guy losing his brother but that’s just one case. Ive seen a lot of classless behavior from Baltimore fans.

35. micklethepickle says: Jun 24, 2013 10:43 AM

I currently work in Boston, and Torrey Smith is dead on accurate about the type of people that live here. It’s not a “Pats fan” issue, it’s not a “Bruins fan” issue (like with the Joel Ward tirades), it’s a BOSTON issue.

I’ll put it this way – in my life I have lived in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Colorado, Missouri, and Washington D.C. before moving here, and until I arrived in Boston I never heard someone call a black man the “N-word” just for walking by. This place is seriously messed up..

36. bobby2478 says: Jun 24, 2013 11:08 AM

It is unbelieveable that people would taunt Smith over the death of his kid brother. I don’t care who it is, no one deserves that kind of treatment.

I understand the point he was trying to make, he just made the mistake of assuming that most or all NE fans were the same as the people sending him hate messages.

He had every right to lash back after people mocking his brother’s death.

The unfortunate thing is that social media is safe haven for these parasites to act tough and spread hate. Knowing this, it would be wise for athletes to not be on social media like Twitter where people can send them hate mail in the first place. Athletes are in the public eye and there will always be stupid people who send them hate mail, if they aren’t in a position to get it in the first place the better off they’ll be.

37. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 24, 2013 12:02 PM

He is 100% correct. All you hear from whiny Pats fans is “class this” and “class that.” Brady taunts Sherman, Sherman gets at him afterward. Pats fans taunt Ray Lewis, but deflect galore now that the shoe is on the other foot. One of the most classless fanbases around. Even Eagles fans are brought to silence when alerted to the things that Pats fans say and do.

38. apkyletexas says: Jun 24, 2013 1:07 PM

Haha – good to see Boston fan take it on the chin every once in awhile.

Torrey – use this one next time – “Asterisk City baby! Hope you’re loving those tainted Lombardi’s!”. Really gets them riled up in Boston.

39. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 24, 2013 1:35 PM

east96st says:

—————————————————-
    You’re forgetting that Favre’s junk pics were tweeted. Nevermind, bad example.

40. kate773 says: Jun 24, 2013 1:51 PM

Good to see football fans have a place to lump all Pats fans together. Torrey Smith did you all a favor.

There are a lot of idiotic Pats fans. Lots of them. And its shameful that Twitter (which I’m on frequently and find fun) allows idiots to tweet awful things like this to others with little consequence. I’m sorry some of you have had bad experiences with Pats fans, and apparently Boston in general. I don’t defend that behavior. At all. But as its been said before in articles that invite piling on a particular fanbase because of the actions of a few, don’t be dumb and lump everyone in together. There are many many great Pats fans and many many great Bostonians. That’s all I’m going to say on this.

41. southpaw2k says: Jun 24, 2013 1:55 PM

I’m trying to figure out what Torrey Smith did exactly to find himself on the receiving end of all this vitriol coming from Patriots fans. Are Patriots fans still that sore over the Week 3 Sunday night loss? Why are they hung over it? Aren’t we way past the point of looking back on the 2012 season, considering training camps kick off in about 4 weeks?

Talk about a crappy bunch of fans who need to find a hobby or two.

42. schrutebeetfarms says: Jun 24, 2013 2:01 PM

The fact that Garnett is the one person he DOES like speaks volumes about Smith.

43. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 24, 2013 2:40 PM

southpaw2k says: Jun 24, 2013 1:55 PM

Talk about a crappy bunch of fans who need to find a hobby or two.
    ————–

They never get over it. They’re half of the people on here who rip on Sherman whenever there is a story about him, solely because he got at Brady ha.

One thing I love about Pats fans is that they know better than to EVER talk trash to me or any other Giants fan. Feels good owning them.

44. ravensterps says: Jun 24, 2013 2:53 PM

metitometin says: Jun 24, 2013 9:11 AM

——————————————

Wow, excusing bad behavior with more bad behavior. I guess no one ever taught you that two wrongs don’t make a right. Not to mention you don’t have your facts right. O’s fans heckled the Yankees guy, and when he came to confront them, he fell over a wall during the struggle. And the reason he almost died? He was chewing tobacco that got caught in his throat.

Don’t make it sound like O’s fans jumped some unsuspecting guy and beat him nearly to death. Because that isn’t what happened.

And it’s disgusting that you would defend the people taunting Torrey about his brother’s death.

45. rushmatic says: Jun 24, 2013 5:43 PM

reed20offense-
    Exactly. Right on the head. When a sports player dies, for instance, and people on the comments here say “RIP” or “condolences to family”, etc., there are always downvotes because internet scum will always be internet scum. It is what it is. Human nature.