Lions’ Ron Bartell: Broken neck didn’t change how I play

Chicago Bears v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Lions cornerback Ron Bartell suffered a broken neck in the first game of the 2011 season and has managed to play in just seven games since then. But Bartell says health concerns won’t change how he plays.

The two fractured vertebrae ended Bartell’s 2011 season, and when he returned in 2012 he suffered a broken shoulder, but Bartell says that he thinks those injuries are just a sign of bad luck in the past, and not anything he needs to worry about going forward.

“One thing about my injuries were they were contact injuries,” Bartell told the Detroit Free Press. “Me being physical, going in and making a tackle and I get hit while making a tackle and I fracture my neck. Another injury I’m going in to make a tackle and I get hit by a teammate, I fracture my scapula. So kind of freak accidents. I’d be more worried if it was nagging injuries as far as pulls or tears, things of that nature.”

Bartell says his recent injury problems aren’t changing his approach.

“I’m not going to change the way I play,” he said. “I’m going to always tackle, be aggressive, be physical and try to disrupt the wide receivers. Like I said, that’s how I made a living in this league, that’s how I’ve been able to stick around nine years so I’m not going to change that now.”

If a broken neck won’t change the way Bartell plays, nothing will.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Lions’ Ron Bartell: Broken neck didn’t change how I play”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 25, 2013 12:56 PM

The only change is having to sign autographs with this teeth.

2. raiderman81 says: Jun 25, 2013 1:02 PM

I was excited last year when we signed him……. Now im excited because he was cut…. good luck lions.

3. staffordsyear says: Jun 25, 2013 1:06 PM

Atta boy!..thats some Detroit football right there.

4. dlions18 says: Jun 25, 2013 1:06 PM

That’s a tough dude

5. ramcountry says: Jun 25, 2013 1:39 PM

This guy hasn’t intercepted an NFL QB since 2008.

6. b3nz0z says: Jun 25, 2013 1:48 PM

no disrespect, but maybe retire?

7. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 25, 2013 1:57 PM

He should take whatever he has left of his NFL money and retire.

I feel bad for anybody who suffers and injury like this, but I don’t think he’s very smart to keep playing after a neck injury like that.

Any team he plays for should certainly make him sign a waiver.

8. 1heatedtoombrayduh says: Jun 25, 2013 2:31 PM

thegreatgabbert says “The only change is having to sign autographs with this teeth.”

Who’s going to want his autograph though?

9. 1heatedtoombrayduh says: Jun 25, 2013 2:32 PM

Was it this cb or our other cb that only played one game before season ending injury..

I guess it doesnt matter seeing as how both were injured in the first two games anyway lol

10. captainronmexico says: Jun 25, 2013 3:46 PM

Uh, yeah, except he came back from the broken shoulder last year and then played so badly he was (1) benched for an assortment of street free agents and kick returners (who played way better) then (2) cut.

So good luck, Detroit.