Appeal of decision to hold Hernandez without bail coming soon

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is arraigned in court in Attleborough, Massachusetts Reuters

On Wednesday, a judge decided to hold Aaron Hernandez without bail pending further proceedings in his murder case.

Those further proceedings could happen as soon as Thursday.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Hernandez will appeal the initial decision via a hearing to be held this week.

In 2000, a judge in Georgia initially decided to hold former Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis without bail after he was charged with murder.  Less than two weeks later, Lewis was released on $1 million bail.

For Hernandez, the key question is whether he presents a flight risk.  Apart from the modern techniques for digitally monitoring his whereabouts, the media has been staked out at his North Attleboro home on a round-the-clock basis.  It’s unlikely, however, that the media presence will continue through the trial of the case, which could happen at some point in early 2014.

Permalink 99 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
99 Responses to “Appeal of decision to hold Hernandez without bail coming soon”
  1. jimr10 says: Jun 26, 2013 8:49 PM

Would the same considerations be given to the average guy on the street? Don’t tell me people with money and high profile athletes are not given preferential treatment…

2. helix828 says: Jun 26, 2013 8:49 PM

A 23 year old multimillionaire who’s about to spend the next 40+ years in some crap hole prison?

Is there actually anyone less likely to run ?

3. citiciti says: Jun 26, 2013 8:51 PM

Who cares about him let sit in jail and rot,the guy murdered someone!

4. ar1888 says: Jun 26, 2013 8:51 PM

The man is a menace.

5. bennyb82 says: Jun 26, 2013 8:53 PM

The only flight this guy could take is off of a very tall building…

6. hatesycophants says: Jun 26, 2013 8:58 PM

Uh, I beg to differ.

7. beavertonsteve says: Jun 26, 2013 9:00 PM

I have no sympathy for Hernandez, but I just don’t seem him being held for months without bail.

8. thegonz13 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:01 PM

Nah, keep him in jail. One less menace on the streets!

9. fdugrad says: Jun 26, 2013 9:01 PM

Personally, I hope they keep him incarcerated,however, if, as the above post states, the issue is whether or not he is a flight risk, then I do not know how they will be able to keep him locked up. Given the publicity, the news and sports stations monitoring him, electronic devises that can be attached to him, his physical size, not to mention his apparent inability to demonstrate the SLIGHTEST bit of behavior that is not incriminating and obvious since the onset of this criminal act, it could be rather difficult to prove that he is a flight risk. Can’t they keep him locked up because he is more than likely an extremely dangerous, violent person?

10. chrisnyg says: Jun 26, 2013 9:03 PM

The guy who was murdered is in a box for eternity because of what this scum bag was a part of. He belongs to sit in jail until his trial. Maybe he didn’t pull the trigger but he was involved.

11. kregaway says: Jun 26, 2013 9:05 PM

A swift case would be ideal. This idiot deserves no more face time.

12. stoutfiles says: Jun 26, 2013 9:09 PM

I say give him bail, but make it 20 million.

13. fc187 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:11 PM

This is going to be a Circus.

14. raidermick3sb3rings says: Jun 26, 2013 9:12 PM

The whole east coast should just fall into the ocean…what a freakin mess and embarrassment this sector is to the rest of the states…

Glad I live in LA baby!!!

Late…

15. thejuddstir says: Jun 26, 2013 9:13 PM

Funny…..he did everything he could (destroyed video surveillance equipment, his cell phone, wouldn’t talk to law enforcement, etc) to thwart the justice system but now he wants them grant him a hearing on demand to appeal the no bail decision. The judge should tell his lawyers that “sorry, my calendar is booked up for the next few months”. Cooperation is a two way street.

16. luz56 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:16 PM

Million dollar bail and an ankle bracelet…

17. thesteelers says: Jun 26, 2013 9:16 PM

You’re dealing with a straight up menace.

18. Stiller43 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:23 PM

Im aware that someones “innocent until proven guilty” in a courts eyes, but if theres enough evidence to charge someone with 1st degree murder, i feel they shouldnt release you to the general public…

19. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:24 PM

Hernandez is no longer employed, nor is he ever going to be employed by the NFL. With unlimited funds at his disposal and no job, I’d say that might make him a flight risk. He belongs behind bars…

20. abninf says: Jun 26, 2013 9:24 PM

I don’t care about him being a flight risk. He shows he has a problem with wanting to go around shooting people. He doesn’t need to be on the street.

21. bmore44 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:27 PM

1Million bail. Hernandez should go to Switzerland on next plane out of Boston.

22. mrbigass says: Jun 26, 2013 9:27 PM

Works if he pays the tab for home confinement and doesn’t add to the taxpayers burden….

23. hscdaw says: Jun 26, 2013 9:28 PM

Assuming he committed this senseless act, let’s hope bail is denied limiting his ability to taint witnesses. Keep Lloyd’s family in your prayers.

24. spedman24 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:29 PM

This murderer should NOT be allowed out of prison. He clearly murdered this poor man. And while he wants to be home — will his child & his family, there is another mans family wishing he could come home just one more time, at least to say goodbye — but he won’t be coming home, he was KILLED by Aaron Hernandez…

25. textaz03 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:30 PM

Not only would they have to decide if he is a flight risk, but if he is a danger to society or himself? I would def say he is a danger to society when you have the possibility of premeditated murder. With all the facts presented so far, I will bet the judge continues to remand in state custody with out bail.

26. pacodawg says: Jun 26, 2013 9:30 PM

Book him DANNO murder 1! PS go with him Chin.

27. beerndrums says: Jun 26, 2013 9:34 PM

Don’t let him out

28. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 26, 2013 9:34 PM

He presents a threat to witnesses, such as the employees who heard the gunshots, or the other two guys in the truck…

They know he can’t run far. That’s only a small part of the problem…

But then again, if he is in a gang, he can shut people up from behind bars also…

29. titansbro says: Jun 26, 2013 9:37 PM

If I was him & they gave me bail, I’m taking my money & going Snowden on these mofos. Think you got me? Nup, I’m in Hong Kong. Nope I’m in Russia. You’ll never catch me coppers.

In other words, giving him bail is not a good idea.

30. geniusesq says: Jun 26, 2013 9:39 PM

He is probably not a flight risk. But, he seems like a candidate for lockup. Didn’t he shoot another dude in the face too?

31. commonsensedude says: Jun 26, 2013 9:41 PM

You’d think that if he were going to flee, the time for him to do that would have been sometime over the course of the past week and a half, when there was nothing legally preventing him from going anywhere he wanted.

But then again, Hernandez has proven over the past week and a half that he’s perhaps not the brightest dude on the block. Can’t you imagine him destroying his ankle monitor and then thinking that the authorities couldn’t find him?

32. roadtrip3500 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:42 PM

Maybe not a flight risk, but has clearly shown he’s a stupidity risk…

33. kmwatersaz says: Jun 26, 2013 9:42 PM

Insurance companies are missing the boat not selling imprisonment coverage.

34. scytherius says: Jun 26, 2013 9:43 PM

SOP.

35. jbarr1 says: Jun 26, 2013 9:44 PM

Might as well let him out. Heard that the “Longest Yard Part 3″ needs stunt men.

36. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 26, 2013 9:46 PM

Meanwhile, all of us making 5 figures….

We wouldn’t be able to afford to appeal this early in the case.

And we would sit.

37. swaggyy says: Jun 26, 2013 9:49 PM

This stresser could give belicheat a herp

38. thesteelers says: Jun 26, 2013 9:49 PM

He is at least a threat to his fiance and accomplices.

39. skoobyfl says: Jun 26, 2013 9:49 PM

He’s going to get married & find God, 2016 he’s playing for the Jets & revenge.

40. cassrangers says: Jun 26, 2013 9:52 PM

well, to me, he’s not a flight risk, it’s only circumstantial evidence (I know what you’re thinking….). This is a chance for the state to demand $10,000,000 bail… It would be a smart move. The state would have 10mil to work with, and he’s not going anywhere. He thinks he can beat it, so why would he leave? Instead, tax payers get to pay for his stay there! I think it’s a big loss on the states behave.

41. GenXJay says: Jun 26, 2013 9:57 PM

Early 2014?
    Barbeque at Superbowl Halftime sounds about fitting.

42. raiderinva says: Jun 26, 2013 10:01 PM

If I was in Hernandez situation the judge would slap $1 million bail on me in a heartbeat knowing full well I could not raise it.

I also would not have had a week to get my affairs in order and would have been hauled off to the joint on Tuesday of last week.

I think the thing that makes me the most upset is how contrite he is in the pictures.

43. osiris33 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:10 PM

Well, I guess this makes Seahawks/Broncos pretty much a Super Bowl lock.

44. upperdecker19 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:13 PM

Al Cowlings is warming up the white Bronco in the case that bail is granted

45. alskdh says: Jun 26, 2013 10:13 PM

I dont want to play the devils advocate here —

But given the week of police searches, media coverage, knowing that you are in big big trouble, your going to PRISON FOR LIFE why did he not flee or make a run for it.
    To think the last days of your life were spent at home watching TV, with Bob Holtsman camped outside your house… Bummer.

46. Spencer says: Jun 26, 2013 10:14 PM

He’s volatile and a risk to the community. What happens if someone else sets him off? A baby lives in that house. It’s safer for everyone if he stays locked up until trial.

47. germanstingray says: Jun 26, 2013 10:14 PM

Hernandez’ body language in that shot is troublesome.

48. cardslifer says: Jun 26, 2013 10:14 PM

He’s gonna need a good dentist when he gets out from all the chipped teeth he’s gonna have from Bubba’s dingus.

49. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 26, 2013 10:19 PM

Hernandez’ body language in that shot is troublesome.

*****************

Like Jackie Chiles says…

“Your face is my case”

50. politicallyincorrect20 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:20 PM

Watching hard knocks on nfl network right now and total access just had a commercial for the program tomorrow saying “Aaron Hernandez, the arrest, the charges, the release.”

51. billygoat says: Jun 26, 2013 10:21 PM

As soon as he gets out he will be getting married so she can’t testify against him.

52. lanman11 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:22 PM

The mountains in Pakistan or Afghanistan,,,,, that’s about all he can do. Even then, they would probably turn him in for money. Iran or North Korea might take him just to tweak the US.

53. DonkeyStick says: Jun 26, 2013 10:24 PM

Threw everything away for what, someone owing a millionare a few thousand dollars and “showing disrespect”? IDIOT!!!

54. brownstain says: Jun 26, 2013 10:25 PM

Any millionaire is a flight risk.

55. eatitfanboy says: Jun 26, 2013 10:26 PM

The appeal is a waste of time, IMO. Very few defendants charged with first degree murder get bail. It’s the one charge where the prosecutor does NOT have to prove that the defendant is a flight risk.

I’m not sure what the circumstances were in the Lewis case, perhaps the prosecutor was already pretty sure the case was moving away from first degree murder by that point, but the vast, vast majority of first degree murder suspects await trial in jail.

I would be stunned if the judge reversed himself this quickly.

56. scytherius says: Jun 26, 2013 10:32 PM

I’s just what lawyers do. Did it in every case when bail was denied or too high for my Client when I was a Defense atty. Had it done “too me” when I was a Prosecutor. I can’t think of a case where bail was denied that there wasn’t an appeal.

57. doggeatdogg says: Jun 26, 2013 10:33 PM

You let him out and there won’t be a trial. He will kill his GF, then himself just like that other sorry NFLer. Hopefully that baby won’t be in the house when he does the deed.

58. steelbreeze676 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:49 PM

I bet he would kill to be on the Patriots again.

59. jmsieli says: Jun 26, 2013 10:50 PM

I just got to say, kudos to the state police and all the law enforement in Mass, with all of the stuff going on around Boston this year, the people in Boston should be proud of their boys in blue, they never get enough thanks for the hard job they do.

60. 1mommicked1 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:54 PM

Who in heavens name will they get to replace him at tight end

61. chrisk61 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:56 PM

i get the impression, and it is unbelievable, that hernandez’ priority was to bankroll and drug operation. and his source of capital was his nfl job. but that job was secondary to his drug operation. it was a front or cover. and this guy was a stud TE. just think how good he could have been if being an nfl TE was his priority. what a wasted talent.

62. theuglitruth says: Jun 26, 2013 10:59 PM

The Patriot way!

63. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 26, 2013 11:00 PM

I bet he would kill to be on the Patriots again.

**************

Well played

64. malibu67 says: Jun 26, 2013 11:05 PM

May not be flight risk, but certainly a threat to others.

65. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 26, 2013 11:07 PM

Jay-z should sign this guy. Though highly unlikely it would also be highly ironic if the Giants picked up AHern. Seems more of a Jets type guy anyway, plus Jets did just lose Keller. Woody wouldn’t mind sticking it to Bob if he could.

66. lawyermalloy says: Jun 26, 2013 11:14 PM

There two issues for bail; risk of flight AND danger to the public. It is this 2nd issue his attorney needs to concern himself. Remember this is the 2nd time this year he has had something to do with shooting someone.

67. dynaco says: Jun 26, 2013 11:14 PM

Think about it for a minute.
    This POS whacks someone because he doesn’t know if he can trust him.
    Hernandez thinks he just walked of the set of Scarface.
    Two egos like that can never fit under one hoodie.

68. spcoltrane says: Jun 26, 2013 11:29 PM

Hernandez may find it difficult to raise $1M for bail within a few days. Other reports indicated the Patriots will try to recover money from him for the signing bonus they recently gave him. Given the charges against him, I expect the Patriots’ lawyers to get an injunction or order freezing Hernandez’s bank accounts and assets while they sue him. Cut off from those funds, he will likely not be able to make bail or continue to pay his legal team.

69. michaeljacksonisback says: Jun 26, 2013 11:31 PM

So the Jets are a circus huh? Anybody find it strange thet Tebow needs a job, says a prayer and now Gronk breaks his back and Arron kills someone!

70. skinswillsurprise says: Jun 26, 2013 11:38 PM

Light off!!

71. UPYRS says: Jun 26, 2013 11:39 PM

Bail Denied…. Check
    Open Cell Block 13…Check
    Introduction to Bubba…Check

72. jm91rs says: Jun 26, 2013 11:40 PM

Even if he’s not a flight risk it would seem pretty lame to let a guy chill in his million dollar mansion when we all know he killed someone. Let him rot

73. rickyspanish says: Jun 26, 2013 11:47 PM

scytherius

More insight please. With you being in law, I’d like for you to write more, please.

74. oslograss says: Jun 26, 2013 11:51 PM

All the Comments about ‘this dude should have been smarter’ are funny. Obviously this man is of epic ego. He believes he is smarter than everyone else. part comes from youth, part comes from he’s a complete idiot. He seems to have thought he was too smart to get caught. Who’s the idiot now.

75. purpleneons says: Jun 26, 2013 11:52 PM

—————————————

Looked like he didn’t have a care in the world. Maybe reality is starting to set in while he sits in his cell. No way he is going to be let out on bail. He has proven to be a danger to society given his history before he murdered the guy.

76. blackdonnelly says: Jun 26, 2013 11:57 PM

steelbreeze676 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:49 PM

I bet he would kill to be on the Patriots again.

I’ll be LOL for days over that one. Nice!

77. flannlv says: Jun 26, 2013 11:58 PM

Flight risk is only one half of the analysis. The other prong is “danger to the community, or self” That’s where the case in FL is going to come into play. I don’t see the appellate judge weighing the factors in favor of AH.

78. alskdh says: Jun 27, 2013 12:02 AM

I have to believe then that this was about more than the murder. What was he upset or didn’t trust about the guy?

Maybe this stemmed from the original shooting where the guy ‘refused to cooperate with police’ and this guy was a witness

79. bennyb82 says: Jun 27, 2013 12:05 AM

scytherius says:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:32 PM

If Aaron saw this post, he would feel hope.

80. jprcox says: Jun 27, 2013 12:30 AM

I don’t think Hernandez pulled the trigger. This is about the prosecutors pushing him to tell them what happened.

His problem is that whatever his involvement, it could still be a murder charge – maybe not first degree, but his career is still over.

81. lostsok says: Jun 27, 2013 12:45 AM

“Well, I guess this makes Seahawks/Broncos pretty much a Super Bowl lock.”

Which means the Seahawks and Broncos are pretty much toast for 2013. Front-runner in the NFL is the 2nd worst place to be (next to: being in Aaron Hernandez shoes).

82. flipola says: Jun 27, 2013 1:08 AM

You know what.. what if he’s innocent? I mean, he was a Gator. It’s not like he went to The U.

83. bunglesandbears says: Jun 27, 2013 1:24 AM

The only reason bail was denied is because the judge fears for the safety of the state protected witnesses.

84. hedleykow says: Jun 27, 2013 2:00 AM

It’s hard to accept that Hernandez had the mental and psychological wherewithal to make it through the rigors of college and college football, and then keep it together to play in the NFL up until now. From a human nature standpoint, it will be fascinating to learn more about this jackass.

85. orakpocalypse says: Jun 27, 2013 2:06 AM

It’s amazing how fast technology moves and how fast we’ve done away with innocent until proven guilty. I see no difference between this and the Ray Lewis case yet the reaction seems so much different now. It’s so weird that Ray Lewis is still a respected player by most. Not to mention Pacman hasn’t been released yet, which is pretty insane.

86. greenmeattruck says: Jun 27, 2013 2:14 AM

They ‘ll let him go, for a price, after putting a gag order on him.

87. nobreak1269 says: Jun 27, 2013 3:46 AM

I wonder if Tebow is jealous of all the media coverage Hernandez is getting.

88. teambringitstrong says: Jun 27, 2013 3:47 AM

beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 26, 2013 9:46 PM

Meanwhile, all of us making 5 figures….

We wouldn’t be able to afford to appeal this early in the case.

And we would sit.

———————————————————-
    I’m surprised it took this long before the $$$ card was played. Amazing how the holier than thou, do gooders just love to see millionaires fall. In the meantime, homeless people love to see you dollarnaires fall.

89. djcoreylee says: Jun 27, 2013 5:13 AM

As a fan of the NFL….I CANT BELIEVE THIS..What? Your making that kind of money and your what! Maybe check yourself..your an idiot.

90. kd75 says: Jun 27, 2013 7:03 AM

Dude is covered in tattoos. He’s as much of a flight risk as Lil Wayne.

Hernandez ain’t going nowhere.

91. gizzmonic says: Jun 27, 2013 7:06 AM

who would have thunk that “gronk” was the smart one

92. niner13 says: Jun 27, 2013 7:38 AM

If he makes bail, the Seasquawks will sign him, since the trial won’t happen until the season is over. He’ll fit right in.

93. mp42245 says: Jun 27, 2013 7:42 AM

He needs to buy a ticket to Russia, and with a tent, set up in the transit area for life. No extradition. See pics of his tattoos to live.

94. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 27, 2013 8:13 AM

Anybody who thinks Hernandez needs out of jail for defendants to come up missing/dead, obviously doesn’t understand just how connected this man obviously is.

95. dbfan4ever says: Jun 27, 2013 8:19 AM

what about the risk that this guy may killing someone else if he is allowed to roam the streets?

96. eatitfanboy says: Jun 27, 2013 10:19 AM

jprcox says:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:30 AM

It’s a common misperception that you have to pull the trigger to be guilty of first degree murder. The fact is that multiple people can be convicted for first degree murder of the same person.

If the prosecution can prove that Hernandez ordered someone else to kill the victim, which they have alleged, then Hernandez is guilty of first degree murder just as much as the shooter.

Many people have been convicted of first degree murder for hiring hit men even when they were hundreds of miles away at the time of the killing.

97. dabears7190 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:33 AM

Absolutely laughable that Hernandez wants his bail reduced when you consider that he has purposely made it difficult for the police to conduct an investigation by destroying the evidence.

And without a murder weapon, I wouldn’t grant his team the opportunity to appeal the no bail decision.

98. babyriggo44 says: Jun 27, 2013 11:10 AM

you know if he gets bail he’s just gonna take out Belichek

99. babyriggo44 says: Jun 27, 2013 11:11 AM

do we really know where he was when Mrs. Kraft passed?