Bills fans not happy about seat cushion ban

Jets Bills Football AP

In most NFL stadiums, which have modern seats or decent weather, the league’s new bag policy represents an inconvenience for the sake of security.

In Buffalo, long-time fans are worried about freezing their butts off, literally.

Seat cushions fall under the league’s ban, and for those in Ralph Wilson Stadium (particularly those in the bleachers) that’s a huge factor.

I think it’s terrible,” 96-year-old Bills fan Ray Deibel said, via Gene Warner of the Buffalo News. “The seats are cold, and the cushion gives you some insulation. I can’t imagine them banning cushions for the seats.”

Informed that the seat cushions were now prohibited because of terrorist concerns, Deibel responded exactly the way you’d expect a 96-year-old Bills fan to respond.

“Oh jeepers,” he said. “I’m all for the inspections, including the body scanning, and the delay in getting into the stadium is worthwhile for safety. But I think that’s ridiculous to ban seat cushions.”

Bills fans can still bring their own foam pads or portable seat backs, but nothing with covers or pockets.

“I don’t like it,” said Doug Pagano, apparently a counter-terrorism expert. “I don’t think these terrorists are going to put their bombs in seat cushions.

“There are a lot of risks involved in life. You can’t prevent everything. Just because one guy has a bomb in his shoes, why should millions of people have to take off their shoes at airports? You can’t prevent all risks. I think the NFL is going a little bit overboard.”

While that might be true — and the teams would certainly be happy to sell you a brand new seat cushion on each visit — it’s also the kind of change that’s not turning around.

Bills fans will just have to brace themselves and their backsides, or just watch the game on their warm, soft couches.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Bills fans not happy about seat cushion ban”
  1. smashadams1 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:00 AM

Just another reason to stay home and watch the games.

2. birdobeamen says: Jun 26, 2013 10:04 AM

Sadly, as an Eagles fan, I’m starting to believe he’s just paving the way for me to suffer the same fate.

3. rnt2000 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:08 AM

I would like the NFL top brass go to a Bills game in December and let me know how cold their back side is after a game because I know mine is numb with a cushion. The NFL is really taking the experience for the fan in the WRONG direction and they wonder why attendance is going down.

4. beardinals says: Jun 26, 2013 10:15 AM

Seems lke bringing a nice wool blanket and folding it to sit on would be an improvement.

5. justintuckrule says: Jun 26, 2013 10:20 AM

I’ve said this since that dope implemented the Ty law rule. The only way this money hungry league will listen is when fans start voicing their concerns with their wallets. Stop going!!!!!!!!

6. rukiddnme29 says: Jun 26, 2013 10:34 AM

This has nothing to do with “security”. It has everything to do with another way for the greedy to make more money.

7. rcali says: Jun 26, 2013 10:47 AM

The NFL, keeping me at home.

8. digitalsasquatch says: Jun 26, 2013 11:20 AM

This has far less to do with the benevolent NFL being worried about its fans being blown up at games, and far more to do with the risk management arm of the NFL not wanting the league to be exposed to any form of claim that it is liable if its fans do, in fact, get blown up at a game.

9. bunkslurpscrabmustard says: Jun 26, 2013 11:30 AM

Don’t Bills fans have enough cushion on them already?

10. watermelon1 says: Jun 26, 2013 12:10 PM

OR… Bills/NFL could do the right thing and fix the seats/ bleachers because of their new policy. Either add typical stadium seats (plastic/fiberglass) or cushion the benches.

Not that complicated.

11. tcmiller30 says: Jun 26, 2013 12:22 PM

“I feel for that 96 year old Bills fan. Not because of the seat cushion ban, but because he has been on this earth for 96 years and has never seen his team win the big one. SMH.”

The Bills won back to back AFL championships (’64 and ’65) before the merger and played in 3 in a row at that time as well (lost in ’66)

It’s definitely been a while, but he’s seen his team win the big one. Me on the other hand…

12. 12strikes says: Jun 26, 2013 12:46 PM

“Doug Pagano, apparently a counter-terrorism expert. “I don’t think these terrorists are going to put their bombs in seat cushions.”

I guess news does not get to Buffalo to fast. Terrorists have been known to put bombs in underwear and shoes. Thinking they won’t put it in a seat cushion is, at best, naive

13. nytroutdog says: Jun 26, 2013 1:45 PM

My decision to not re-up my season tix is even more validated now. This league is pushing the envelope on being friggin’ crazy.

14. kgb108 says: Jun 26, 2013 1:52 PM

Not that this is the final straw for me, I don’t bring stuff to games anyway, but this year in staying home. You hear that Roger? I’m staying home and watching the games. I used to get tickets every year for my trip back home, but it’d just not worth it anymore.

15. gobills716 says: Jun 26, 2013 2:09 PM

I never thought I would see my grandpa quoted on PFT. Very solid quote if I may say so myself.

16. bookofelisha10 says: Jun 26, 2013 2:51 PM

goodell and owners are playing- which rule can make fans disappear the fastest. bills are just slightly below goodell in the race for first place.