Chip Kelly apologizes for Oregon’s slap on wrist

Chip Kelly AP

The NCAA just handed Eagles coach Chip Kelly a meaningless penalty, so it’s probably only appropriate that he responds with an apology that carries similar weight.

Kelly issued a statement regarding the penalties the NCAA imposed on the Oregon football program for violations during Kelly’s tenure there, which included no bowl ban, but a loss of one scholarship for the next two seasons (however will they recover?).

“Now that the NCAA has concluded their investigation and penalized the University of Oregon and its football program, I want to apologize to the University of Oregon, all of its current and former players and their fans,” Kelly said in his statement, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com. “I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties. As I have I stated before, the NCAA investigation and subsequent ruling had no impact on my decision to leave Oregon for Philadelphia.

“I have also maintained throughout that I had every intention to cooperate with the NCAA’s investigation, which I did. I do expect the University of Oregon and its football program to continue to thrive at a high level. They are a talented and resilient group of coaches and players and I’m sure they will attempt to put today’s news behind them very quickly and move forward as they prepare for the 2013 season.”

The 18-month show cause penalty against a coach who just took an NFL job is the ultimate in the kind of double secret probation penalties the college game is best at.

Kelly got out ahead of the posse, just as Pete Carroll did at Southern Cal, so his apology for the slap on the wrist his old school received was the polite thing to do, but doesn’t count for much.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Chip Kelly apologizes for Oregon’s slap on wrist”
  1. dlr4skins says: Jun 26, 2013 1:00 PM

A coach of this kind of integrity belongs in Philly!

2. daysend564 says: Jun 26, 2013 1:01 PM

He accepts his share of responsibility….you know since absolutely nothing is being done to him.

Oregon should take some legal action on him, see if he still accepts responsibility.

3. fdugrad says: Jun 26, 2013 1:02 PM

“I accept my SHARE of responsibility for actions that lead to the penalties. On the other hand, I also accept my ENTIRE salary from The Eagles.”

4. alstottwastheman says: Jun 26, 2013 1:12 PM

If players can get suspended in the NFL for things they did in college(Terrelle Pryor for example), why can’t coaches? If he was found to be personally at fault for anything that happened at Oregon, he should be penalized.

5. drbob117 says: Jun 26, 2013 1:21 PM

What he did wrong doesn’t ‘count for all that much’ either, so while it makes good copy, fans won’t lose sleep over it.

6. tvjules says: Jun 26, 2013 1:25 PM

Interesting timing that the NCAA releases this news on the same day as Hernandez’s arrest so that this story gets buried.

7. mungman69 says: Jun 26, 2013 1:26 PM

Wow, maybe there was only a “slap on the wrist” because the wrongdoings were minimal.

8. nickster31 says: Jun 26, 2013 1:28 PM

There should be sanctions against Kelly if he ever returns to coach college football. Something like a 1 year bowl ban on the school or he is suspended for the first game he would have been coaching.

I understand that the ultimate penalty goes against the school as they are the bottom line, but without ANY sanctions, any great college coach can jump ship before it starts sinking.

9. floratiotime says: Jun 26, 2013 1:28 PM

He kind of looks like Michelle Bachmann’s husband.

10. pftisterrible says: Jun 26, 2013 1:29 PM

To all of the clowns that think Chip owes Oregon anything: do you realize how much money he made for the University? Why should he be penalized? Even with the penalties, Chip left the Oregon football program in great shape.

The NCAA governs a multi-billion dollar industry under the guise of “amateur athletics.” It’s a fraud- plain and simple. I don’t fault any successful coach for breaking the NCAA’s rules in order to build his program.

11. kingokra says: Jun 26, 2013 1:42 PM

Why would anyone think that this investigation was in anyway remotely connected with Kelly leaving Oregon for the NFL? – Pete Carroll

12. neemdaddy13 says: Jun 26, 2013 1:47 PM

Chip Kelly is a slimy dude. He fits perfect in Philly. Can’t wait until he realizes his cheezy offense has no chance against grown men. At least now with the show clause he can’t pull a Saban an run back to college where he belongs.

13. doe22us says: Jun 26, 2013 1:57 PM

That pic is hilarious like a sly kid caught stealing candy from a jar lmao.

14. 4getu says: Jun 26, 2013 1:57 PM

@tvjules

Yeah, it’s a big conspiracy. What a horrible thing chip has done. I can’t believe he isn’t in jail, this is worse than murder

15. steves11 says: Jun 26, 2013 2:04 PM

One thing I’ll say for Andy Reid….He always took full responsibility for everything bad that ever happened to the Eagles, up to and including Michael Vick being a turnover machine. After all, it was Andy’s job to put the players in the best position to make plays…although he never really defined what the “best position” was. Oh well.

16. bobbyhoying says: Jun 26, 2013 3:05 PM

I apologize for never having had to apologize for my big mouth, poor attitude or politically incorrect opinions. Is anyone else sick of the daily apologies in the media?

17. rasalghoul says: Jun 26, 2013 3:37 PM

When I look at that picture all I hear in my head is “Fat guy in a little coat…Fat guy in a little coat”

18. dramaguy11 says: Jun 28, 2013 12:09 PM

You guys do realize that it was one of his recruiting coaches that actually messed up right? And that Kelley SELF REPORTED the violation?

19. nickynick04 says: Jul 2, 2013 4:38 AM

I do not believe that Mr Kelly will be a success in Philly….and the eagles Super Bowl drought continues…..