Louis Delmas says his knee is “88 to 90 percent”

Louis Delmas, Glover Quin AP

When last we heard from Lions safety Louis Delmas, he was asking reporters to leave him alone when they were asking him questions about the status of the knee injury that has made him a part-time player over the last two seasons.

At the time, coach Jim Schwartz offered no specific timeline for Delmas’ return to the field and that held about the same during Delmas’ interview with ESPN 96.1 on Wednesday. Delmas said that he plans to use training camp to work himself into being 100 percent for the regular season, but he isn’t there yet and included a note of uncertainty about how his plans may play out.

“I’m feeling great. I’m not all the way back 100 percent yet, but I can go around the range of 88 to 90 percent right now,” Delmas said, via MLive.com. “I still got a long road ahead of me. I plan on going through camp, trying to build my knee up as much as possible so I can go into the season 100 percent.”

The Lions’ decision to sign Chris Hope this week was the latest sign that the team isn’t putting too many eggs in the Delmas basket after two years racked by injuries that have kept Delmas from participating in practice with his teammates all offseason. Delmas saw that he saw a team with potential to overcome adversity during OTAs, but the jury will remain out a while longer about whether the safety’s knee will allow him to do the same.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Louis Delmas says his knee is “88 to 90 percent””
  1. smalltownqb says: Jun 26, 2013 6:50 PM

I would rather they just brought him along slowly with hopes of being a difference maker in the 2nd half of the season.

2. rockbottom37 says: Jun 26, 2013 6:59 PM

Lions D is much better when this guy plays

3. vbe2 says: Jun 26, 2013 7:01 PM

Who? If his name isn’t Hernandez, he doesn’t matter…

4. malachiofcourse says: Jun 26, 2013 7:11 PM

Good thing they didn’t give him a lucrative contract a few months back… Oh wait, Nvm

5. dlionfan says: Jun 26, 2013 7:39 PM

mala a big portion of his contract is linked to playing games, so if he doesn’t play he doesn’t hav3 this big lucatrive contract; but oops maybe you should learn wha you are talking about.

6. lionsdraftguy says: Jun 26, 2013 7:45 PM

Even when he is healthy, hes average at best. Im probably the biggest Lions fan there is, so im not some hater. Someone tell me what he has done in his career. Hes an average safety.

Sure…hes flashy. Has cool hair. Dances on the field. Has a tinted visor on his helmet.

So what?

Wheres his play? Wheres the game-changer everyone THINKS he is?

7. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 26, 2013 8:56 PM

I’d like to know if he had to round the answer to the nearest whole percent, would it be 88, 89, or 90? The mystery is gripping.

8. jimmylions says: Jun 27, 2013 2:12 AM

The defense plays better when Delmas is on the field, and Lions fans all recognize that.

Also – Chris Hope isn’t just an insurance policy for Delmas. MLive’s Anwar Richardson noted that Hope may also be thought of as an insurance policy for Amari Spievey, who has a history of concussions.

9. wecomefromthestars says: Jun 27, 2013 1:24 PM

“Sugaa Sugaaaa

Why won’t ya come onnn baaaack!”