Jarvis Jones thought he’d be a Brown, happy to fall to Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie Camp Getty Images

Heading into the NFL draft, Jarvis Jones believed the Browns liked him with the sixth overall pick. He ended up going 17th overall to the Steelers. In the first half of the first round, a drop of 11 spots will translate to about $7 million less on his rookie contract.

But Jones says he’s OK with that.

Jones told ESPNCleveland.com that the Browns told him they wanted him, but he believes they passed on him because of concerns about his medical history and a disappointing workout at the Scouting Combine. Jones, however, said he is glad to play for the Steelers.

“I think I fell to a great organization,” Jones said. “I’m blessed to be there. It’s a great opportunity for me and I’m loving it. There’s nothing like playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can feel the intensity when you walk into that building. Being a part of this defense is going to mean a lot to me. It’s all about winning.”

If history is any guide, Jones has a better chance of winning in Pittsburgh than in Cleveland.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Jarvis Jones thought he’d be a Brown, happy to fall to Pittsburgh”
  1. stainlesssteellegends says: Jun 27, 2013 9:09 PM

Had he gone to Browns he’d be a bust. He’s a perfect fit for the Steelers.

2. blackngold4life says: Jun 27, 2013 9:12 PM

I think any rookie would rather be a Steeler rather then a Brown..just sayin

3. antibenapalooza says: Jun 27, 2013 9:14 PM

Good news is he got on a team. Bad news is the same team as Rottenberger.

4. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 27, 2013 9:14 PM

If it’s “all about winning,” methinks you’ll be greatly disappointed at least half the time.

5. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 27, 2013 9:26 PM

Instead of the Mistake By The Lake, he goes to the Mistake By The River.

6. flyeredup says: Jun 27, 2013 9:44 PM

He will be on the field a lot. 3 & out for Big Rapist this year.

7. 3yardsndust says: Jun 27, 2013 9:52 PM

Lucky he escaped the Factory of Sadness.

8. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:57 PM

um, ya think……

9. steelcurtainn says: Jun 27, 2013 11:21 PM

I’m glad he came to the Steelers too. A winning tradition. Can’t wait to see him dominate opposing quarterbacks.

10. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 27, 2013 11:24 PM

Ya think?! Five statements less obvious:

Don’t draft Hernandez for your fantasy team.
    The Ravens lost a few players this offseason.
    Flacco was overpaid.
    Antibenapalooza and fyeredup are both women rejected by Big Ben.
    Joemontanaflacco can’t wait for another Steeler article.

11. thesteelers says: Jun 27, 2013 11:48 PM

LOL, the Browns (sad for anyone)… Welcome home.

12. mingo49 says: Jun 28, 2013 12:56 AM

What else is the guy supposed to say?

“I’m pissed that I wasn’t a top 5 pick as originally projected by many, and I wish I was a Cleveland Brown”?

These guys have NO allegiance to a city. Jones couldn’t care less whether he’s a Brown, a Steeler, or a Toledo Mud Hen. He went to an 8-8 team rather than a 5-11 team. Congratulations!

Unlike fans, players’ loyalty is for sale, most times to the highest bidder.

Can’t wait to see Joe Thomas eat this guy up. He’ll be lucky to play 300 snaps this season.

Then again, with Lamar “hamstring” Woodley on the roster, he might get significant playing time.

13. beelicker says: Jun 28, 2013 1:50 AM

The better question may be did his medical history have concerns about him going to Cleveland aka Staph Central USA?

14. manzoa says: Jun 28, 2013 2:47 AM

Too bad…even with a handful of posts, the loser trolls who root for teams that do not have 6 rings spew their hate.

15. hplrules says: Jun 28, 2013 9:23 AM

He just joined the best defense and they want/need him to start as a rookie, that’s quite a compliment. Also, he’ll be with a perennial contender for the championship on a comeback year (Haley has the best success on his second year with a team), and the Steelers will play with absolute vengeance after their nemesis just took the Lombardi.

If I had my choice of being any rookie in the league this year, I’d be Jarvis Jones making history for the Steelers and proving everyone wrong about my medical condition. Steelers Nation fans that have been following Bleacher Report know well how Jones is making real and steady progress to learn that complicated defensive scheme, that he’s on track to start ahead of his competition (Carter), and that he’ll probably be the steal of the draft, maybe even have an all-pro career like Pouncey.

Jarvis almost couldn’t enjoy himself at the arcade when the team took a day off to bond. He wanted to be working. Dude’s as focused as Shamarko Thomas, our future super-safety who’s mentoring under both Troy and Clark with an astounding capacity.

I’d say that the Steel Curtain has more than a future, it has a seamless transition to youth that will fly in Warren Sapp’s face and shut his fool mouth forever (he’s still butt-hurt about not being able to tread thru the Steelers pre-game stretching line thanks to Joey Porter and friends).

Go Steelers!

16. youcallthatreporting says: Jun 28, 2013 9:51 AM

@hplrules – wow, you can put the rose colored glasses down now

17. brownoholic says: Jun 28, 2013 10:51 AM

Bring it!

Browns are improving a tad bit quicker than the Steelers of late. Would love to see us in closer games.

I WANT THE RIVALRY BACK!!!

18. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 28, 2013 12:15 PM

@brownoholic, if the Browns are improving faster than anyone, it’s only onder the concept that a fat person will lose weight much faster than a fit person. You should go back to drinking.

19. finallythevoiceofreason says: Jun 28, 2013 3:28 PM

There already is a close heated Browns-Steelers rivalry. Only now it is called the “Ravens”-Steelers rivalry.
    I would like to see the Browns play better again like they did before Modell robbed the City of Cleveland but it is hard being a true expansion team in the NFL. It took the Texans almost 10 years to become relevant. While the Jaguars and Panthers enjoyed some success, it takes time.

20. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 28, 2013 4:17 PM

21. rottenbellybutton says: Jun 28, 2013 7:37 PM

Mingo’s happy to be a Brown.

22. finallythevoiceofreason says: Jun 28, 2013 11:15 PM

“Steelers have back to back road games against Browns and Ravens. By then, they’ll be more interested in a No. 1 draft pick, finding a new QB, and replacing Tomlin than trying to salvage a 3-7 start.”

Maybe the Steelers should just automatically start their 3rd string QB on the road against the Ravens like last year so that they could beat the “NFL Champs” again in front of their hypocritical and delusional fans.

23. bigducksfan1 says: Jul 1, 2013 9:50 AM

So I’m new to the whole Pittsburgh/Cleveland thing since I originaly hail from the West Coast… but living in Pittsburgh and being an avid football fan I’ll have to put my money on the Steelers!
    I have been looking at the numbers and quite frankly Brandon Weeden and the rest of the Browns VS. Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Clark, Pouncey, Woodley, Taylor… mind you this list can continue… so young unproven talent vs. proven super bowl champion talent??? Hmmm there’s a hard choice to make!
    As for Jarvis Jones I personally hope he has a stellar career but honestly I think he’ll be a middle of the road linebacker not an all pro caliber! A serviceable player who will plug a hole and provide a Brett Keisel type player who plays at a high level but not an elite level! This in turn means ROLE PLAYER!!! Good enough to be the starter but never quite good enough to be the big dog! That said Green Bay, San Francisco, NY Giants and many other teams have ended up Super Bowl champs as a TEAM with limited stars and predominately role players who play at a high level… So watch out Browns! I mean seriously the last great player you had on your roster I can name at the drop of a hat is Bernie Kosar!!! I think I was in high school when he flamed out!

24. leatherneck82 says: Jul 1, 2013 11:57 PM

Joemontanaflacco The Steelers will be 8-2 at worst after ten games and on their way to the division championship. Tomlin is and will remain appreciated in Steeltown and not be playing for a draft pick like the Browns or Cardinals.

25. competiveone says: Jul 2, 2013 10:39 PM

So much trolling. Nothing positive to post?