Peterson said a Lion accused him of “juicing”

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson runs past Detroit Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy for touchdown Reuters

Adrian Peterson’s return from a traumatic knee injury last year was so impressive, that some thought it was too good to be true.

The Vikings running back told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com that one of his opponents wondered aloud if he was using performance enhancing substances during a game last season.

Peterson said a Lions linebacker asked him “Whatever you were juicing on, let me know. I need it.”

He replied: “Man, it’s a lot of prayer. The juice of God.”

Peterson thought about the exchange, and when the two teams met the second time, he told the guy he actually appreciated it.

It’s worth noting that after the Lions held him to 102 yards in the first meeting, he went for 171 in the second.

“It was like turning a negative into a positive,” Peterson said. “To be honest with you, it makes me feel good when people say little stuff like that, and I’m sure it happens all the time. I guess I am performing that well that people think I’m juicing, that I am taking something. That really shows me how much God has blessed me to be able to come back and play the way I played.

“To me, it’s a compliment [the PED talk]. I’ve always been an honest person. I never cheated the system. I am big on taking advantage of my natural abilities and applying work ethic to it to be able to climb the highest level. People make that decision to do that [PEDS], but I’m not that individual. I feel like I’d be cheating myself. And things I’ve accomplished would be void. That’s not what I am about.”

Peterson’s accomplishments last year were remarkable, and it’s probably natural that some would be skeptical — especially the ones who couldn’t catch him.

Permalink 73 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
73 Responses to “Peterson said a Lion accused him of “juicing””
  1. whatjusthapped says: Jun 27, 2013 9:40 AM

I know for a fact that Peterson does NOT use PED’s. If he had any, he would have shared with with his weak armed Qb so they could complete a pass more than 10 yards downfield and take some pressure off of Peterson.

2. fx1718 says: Jun 27, 2013 9:43 AM

I doubt he used them but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

3. bmckay3 says: Jun 27, 2013 9:44 AM

Anyone else read this headline and think this conversation happened in the cat section of the Zoo?

4. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 27, 2013 9:44 AM

Steroids don’t help you heal from ligament tears. All they do is reduce the inflammation related to the trauma. It is amazing how stupid people are.

5. wtfpft says: Jun 27, 2013 9:45 AM

If you believe he wasn’t let me know cause I got a bridge to sell you

6. thejuddstir says: Jun 27, 2013 9:45 AM

Not a vikings fan per se, but I am a huge Peterson fan. The NFL needs more players like AD.

7. pioniere says: Jun 27, 2013 9:46 AM

Tells you what kind of season he had when the Lions “held him” to 102 yards rushing!

8. GenXJay says: Jun 27, 2013 9:47 AM

A beast of nature that everyone has to respect.
    He is an indisputable role model for the youth.
    & the MVP has unquestionable integrity.

9. bucrightoff says: Jun 27, 2013 9:48 AM

HGH isn’t juicing. But I’m not singling Peterson out, I bet at least 80% of the league does HGH.

10. twonis says: Jun 27, 2013 9:49 AM

So AP comes off a late season ACL only to return for a near historic season in one of the most physically grueling positions in the most physically damaging sport in the US and someone would have the audacity to suggest that he may have been using performance enhancing substances? The nerve. (SMH)

And while we’re at it– Clay Matthews will be NOTHING once they start testing HGH. Juicehead all the way!

11. oliveyang says: Jun 27, 2013 9:50 AM

reminds me of lance armstrong. he denied peds for the longest time. at this point I just assume most pro athletes do something for an advantage. I was reading something where the author basically said all pros use, just the best do it better and don’t get caught.

12. daubs17 says: Jun 27, 2013 9:54 AM

yeah man…lots of that god juice…..

13. purp1eone says: Jun 27, 2013 9:58 AM

Bunch of jealous haters.

You will all get to enjoy him rolling over your team this year.

Get ready!!!!!!!!!!!

14. mediasloppy says: Jun 27, 2013 10:04 AM

Sounds to me that the Lion player was just joking around. If Peterson can find motivation in it, more power to him.

15. urushma says: Jun 27, 2013 10:09 AM

Hey Lions. I don’t think AP needs any more motivation. Now that this little story is public, fans & teammates will fuel his fire. Minnesota at Detroit opening weekend. Good luck Lions.

16. WatchThis says: Jun 27, 2013 10:10 AM

Sounds less like an accusation and more like searching for a recommendation…if not an outright compliment. Not an accusation. AP might have God-given gifts, but maybe a laid-back sense of humor is not one of them.

17. Stupid Lions Fan says: Jun 27, 2013 10:10 AM

Whatever, what a joke. Yeah, OK, AP has double-knee reconstruction, flies overseas for ‘treatment’ and then comes back healed in world record recovery time to lead the league in rushing. Sure, he didn’t take anything. And then blame God for a ‘miraculous’ comeback like that lends any extended credability, HA! Amazing some people.

18. pdidit09 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:11 AM

This young man is the real deal.

19. cullenand99 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:13 AM

Steroids? No. HGH? Yes.

20. handlethehandles says: Jun 27, 2013 10:15 AM

People gonna hate… But at the end of the day AD reminds me of the players of old… Fellow players rave at his work ethic… Ill go ahead and assume this guy is a Pros Pro for the rest of you go ahead and hate… Ill be the guy next to you at the bar cheering an loving his long hard earned runs and you can be the hater eating cheese next to me…

21. pakrbakr76 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:19 AM

Look…some people are just freaks of nature. Adrian is one of them – end of story.

22. spankygreen says: Jun 27, 2013 10:22 AM

I only wish our elected officials could be accused of using PED’s…….(ie..Congress and the SCOTUS)….

I don’t believe nyone would care or for sure not protest the use…..

23. purpleguy says: Jun 27, 2013 10:22 AM

Everyone seems to be missing the real point here — and that is that someone actually paid attention or cared about anything a Lion player said.

24. vikings1976 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:27 AM

Consistency…this is the word you use when deducing whether someone is cheating the system or not. Adrian Peterson was a monster in Pop Warner. He was a monster at his High School. He was the #1 recruited player in the nation coming out of High School. He was the best running back in college football during his tenure. He was the best running back in the draft (a #1 pick). He has been the best running back in football since his entry into the league in 2007. This is called CONSISTENCY. Giving me no reason to believe he is cheating. Why do people all of a sudden believe this man is a fraud?

If you want someone who is “suspect”. Look no further than Clay Matthews.

25. strolethroughtheokrapatch says: Jun 27, 2013 10:28 AM

I read a post from someone who lives in Green Bay, he said he knew for a fact that the cromagnum cave man Clay Mathews takes HGH. Just look at his head, it’s huge. Its so big it should have a moon rotating around it. Reminds me of Barry Bonds. Have you seen Barry lately, he looks normal. Clay has been juicing since his days at USC with Brian Cushing. Cushing got suspended for PEDs and then last year he tore his ACL. They are just another couple Shawn Merriman,s in the making.

26. davikes says: Jun 27, 2013 10:35 AM

Some people are freaks of nature, and he’s one of them. Faster, stronger, heal better.

27. broncosaddict says: Jun 27, 2013 10:42 AM

Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:44 AM

————————-
    It is very amazing….and if you had taken 10 seconds to use google you could have avoided being in that group.
    There are different types of steroids. When they talk of “Juicing” they are not talking about loading up on cortisone….

28. bordner says: Jun 27, 2013 10:47 AM

If it seems too good to be true… it usually is. Fortunately for Peterson, the NFL doesn’t test for “God” juice. Yet.

29. rexryanjr says: Jun 27, 2013 10:47 AM

You would have to be an idiot to think this guy is not juicing. I’m surprised the PEDhawks haven’t pulled off a Hershel Walker trade to get this guy.

30. buckybadger says: Jun 27, 2013 10:49 AM

@strolethroughtheokrapatch, big head is a result of using the good ole regular steroids like Bonds did. Those are tested for in the NFL. If you are going to accuse someone try to get your facts straight.

31. buckybadger says: Jun 27, 2013 10:51 AM

I would say that 80% of the league is on HGH. They don’t have a test for it and these guys have too much to lose to not take every edge you can get. Just like baseball was rampant with steroids these guys, and most of us as well, well get whatever edge they can get to make the big money. I hope AD is clean, like the guy a lot but nothing surprises me.

32. citizenstrange says: Jun 27, 2013 10:51 AM

Believe only some of what you see … and none of what you hear.

33. favresweiner says: Jun 27, 2013 10:53 AM

Ya, God cares about Adrian Peterson’s speedy recovery more than all those starving kids in Africa.

34. ad296 says: Jun 27, 2013 10:56 AM

Haters gonna hate.

35. GenXJay says: Jun 27, 2013 11:07 AM

Funny. People claiming “HGH” need to do some homework. Web MD, losers. Use it.
    HGH cannot help with injury. & as for using as muscle building, it creates a false physical impression. Looks good/no strength.
    So hate on All Day. It’s comically amusing to the educated.

36. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 27, 2013 11:09 AM

I never thought AD was cheating, but obviously the lions player was joking and to see how much AD overreacted, I’m starting to wonder. Me thinks he doeth proteth to much…

37. vikingsnorth says: Jun 27, 2013 11:10 AM

Proof of “God Juice”… TE’s disappearing in New England.

38. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 27, 2013 11:21 AM

It should be very obvious to any thinking person that he used some type of banned substance during his recovery. There is no other way that he came back from an injury like that and had the season that he did. If you don’t believe this you are incredibly naive. If no one else has ever come back and played that well after that injury why would you think he would be able to do it?

39. gbatap says: Jun 27, 2013 11:24 AM

Juicing makes no sense here but you would have to be completely naive to think he made this miracle comeback without HGH or something similar.

40. vikesfanallday86 says: Jun 27, 2013 11:29 AM

I don’t know how roids would help AP. he tore a ligament. Didn’t need to build muscle. He was terrorizing defenses in HS, Oklahoma and it shouldn’t be any different in the pro’s and it hasn’t

41. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 27, 2013 11:32 AM

johnelwayishorsefaced says:Jun 27, 2013 11:21 AM

______

Because he’s Adrian Freaking Peterson. He’s been doing things no one else can do his whole life.

42. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jun 27, 2013 11:33 AM

purpleguy is still locked in his room crying because Nate Burleson did an interview last week

43. daamgud says: Jun 27, 2013 11:38 AM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:Jun 27, 2013 11:09 AM

Yes, Adrian really shouldn’t have blown his top like that. Telling the guy he appreciated it really speaks to his lack of self-control. And using it as motivation to put up 170+ on Detroit the second game? He can “proteth to much” all he wants if the results will look like that.

44. iluvbears says: Jun 27, 2013 11:40 AM

If Adrian is juicing, so it Megatron.

45. purp1eone says: Jun 27, 2013 11:46 AM

When did you guys all get your Ph. Ds?

AD is the man, the MVP and will be running over your teams again this year.

46. steviemo says: Jun 27, 2013 11:48 AM

Definitely a PED user.

47. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 27, 2013 11:49 AM

So, to be a professional running back all we have to do is pray and play video games?

Sign me up!

48. titansbro says: Jun 27, 2013 11:55 AM

I’m sure that’s exactly how AP responded. What a turd. Great RB, but still a turd.

49. bloodisred says: Jun 27, 2013 12:00 PM

It’s called hard a$$ work!

As a gym rat myself, I always take it as a compliment when a non workout-aholic asks me “what I’m on?”.

50. mekahldownish says: Jun 27, 2013 12:05 PM

Who the hell is AD? It’s AP DUH!

It was all a joke by Justin Durant because AP was being AP. Just a reason to write a story I guess.

51. firestarter0728 says: Jun 27, 2013 12:12 PM

Does it really matter whether or not AP used steroids, HGH, or whatever? The important point to understand here is that no matter how great of a player he is, he’ll never get a championship ring.

52. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 27, 2013 12:14 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:Jun 27, 2013 11:09 AM

Me thinks he doeth proteth to much…
    _____

I always thought you spoke with a lisp.

53. irishgary says: Jun 27, 2013 12:18 PM

@Mr. Wright 212

BUT, during rehab, when he was working the knee, steroids would help with the swelling allowing quicker recovery.

Just saying.

54. themackstrong says: Jun 27, 2013 12:26 PM

Adrian Peterson was always a natural monster since college. But don’t act like he isn’t using PRP & HGH to heal up and be ready after suffering as serious an ACL injury as possible. Both of those treatments have doping concerns but does NFL has a test for them? I’m pretty sure if my favorite player went down for a ligament injury he would be on the same treatment.

55. purp1eone says: Jun 27, 2013 12:27 PM

I can see it now, stiff arm, spin, juke and here it comes run over (not with helmet) _____ . (insert your favorite team here)

LOL you guys are funny, better call mommy.

56. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 27, 2013 12:37 PM

I can see it now: Peterson, just like every other 2000 yard back, will follow up his best season with a mediocre season, which will allow teams to key in on preventing ponder from completing so many 5 yard bombs.

57. mack2x says: Jun 27, 2013 12:50 PM

urushma says:
    ———————————
    Yeah, the fact that he brought it up and now considers it a compliment, I’m sure this “little story” will be all he’s thinking of come Sept. 8th.

58. northstarsmitty says: Jun 27, 2013 1:00 PM

Hahaha I love how many people keep arguing the point of potential steroid use like he maaayyy have used them in his OFFSEASON recovery. Yes steroids can help speed the recovery due to the lessening of the inflammation, but really? Because it’s not like juicing will make that ailment dissappear 2 months sooner, no, we are talking a few weeks maybe. Again, he had a long time to recover, despite the injury needing a long time to fully recover from. Point being, he just worked his ass off and actually set out a time table with goals for each step as to what he should anticipate as he approached game ready conditioning. With all those eyes on his recovery, I really doubted he caved in behind closed doors and went out of his way for a fix that he could hide from the public. Grow up. Too bad a lot of jack asses ruined our perception of integrity. We should applaud athletes who at least demonstrate honesty through hard work. AP deserves a ton of credit. Best RB in the game, most feared player on the field, most explosive home run hitter in the NFL. Why isn’t anyone all amped up about Ray Lewis recovering from a serious tricep tear (lower body has greater strength , recovery potential than upper body does, generally) that was healed in crazy fast past BUT during the regular season, with using antler spray, but nobody probed that case, did they?

59. seabronco says: Jun 27, 2013 1:06 PM

Actually HGH does help you recover quicker. He was definitely on HGH.

60. jrebar88 says: Jun 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Doctors always getting their credit stolen by some made up invisible guy in the sky.

61. purp1eone says: Jun 27, 2013 1:45 PM

seabronco says: Jun 27, 2013 1:06 PM

Actually HGH does help you recover quicker. He was definitely on HGH.

—-

Did you taste any substance to confirm this?

62. ad296 says: Jun 27, 2013 1:56 PM

Shouldn’t we be more concerned with the lions player for solicitation of PEDs?

63. nyjetsfan08 says: Jun 27, 2013 2:01 PM

Look at the world of MMA. It’s no secret that a lot of those guys take PEDs. That’s not conjecture, it’s fact. PED testing is nothing more than an IQ test. You have to be stupid to fail it. If you know how long the PED stays in your system and you know when the test is, you shouldn’t fail. There are masking kits out there, as well, which some athletes take to pass the PED test, while the PED is in their system! Certain kits may fail because the testing procedures and policies are constantly updated; this is a cat-and-mouse game, but I’m sure everyone knows that. If you think the football players, perhaps the most competitive of all the four major team sports in the USA, don’t dabble or look for any and all avenues to stay on the field and keep their jobs, you’re either naive or ignorant.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all, despite AP’s amazing genetics, if he used anything on the NFL bannded substance list. Again, you have to be stupid to fail a PED test, and being smart means knowing what and how much you put in your body and how long it stays in your system. For example, if substance A stays in your body for 3 days and you the team or the NFL is testing you in 4 days, you can take it today and it’ll be out of your system by the time the test commences. Then, after the test is over, you can resume taking substance A. It really is an IQ test.

64. purp1eone says: Jun 27, 2013 2:18 PM

nyjetsfan08 says: Jun 27, 2013 2:01 PM

——

I think it was an orange peanut.

You guys can speculate all you want and thats all it is.

Sounds to me like all you guys are trying to convince yourselves.

AD is the man just deal with it (looks like you haters can’t)

65. purplehaze28 says: Jun 27, 2013 2:35 PM

“Lotsa God juice”, …That’s what SHE said.

66. lks311 says: Jun 27, 2013 2:37 PM

Peterson is great, but this sounds like joking that was taken seriously. So, if he derived motivation from it, so be it.

67. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jun 27, 2013 2:53 PM

Talk about genuine. That’s 1 reason he’s my favorite rb in the league, not to mention possibly the goat when its all said and done.

68. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 27, 2013 3:25 PM

@nyjetsfan08 –

I don’t think the NFL calls you to schedule your drug test. They just show up with a jar and you’d better be ready.

69. deltaoracle says: Jun 27, 2013 3:35 PM

Yep, and Hulk Hogan got that way with “the prayin’ the trainin’ and the vitamins.” Just wonder if Peterson’s skin will turn orange too.

70. omgvikingsrule says: Jun 27, 2013 6:50 PM

STOP BEING MEAN TO US VIKINGS FANS!

WE ARE THE BEST!

71. dtrb10 says: Jun 28, 2013 1:35 AM

You know what AD loves? People doubting him and accusing him of using banned substances. You teams thought he did a number on you last year? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. AD at 100% pretty much the whole line was in the pro bowl. GJ, Rudy and a draft pick who is faster than Randy Moss out of college. Watch out NFL!

72. omgvikingsrule says: Jun 28, 2013 12:18 PM

Yeah!

I don’t care if no running back has ever reached 1500
    Yards after going for 2000 the year before. Peterson will be the first to rush for 5,000 yards. This. Season.

Also, ponder may throw for another 5,000.

73. footballfather says: Jul 4, 2013 6:24 PM

I love how the media is making this out to be an issue with the Lions. At this point, there probably isn’t a team in the NFL that HASN’T accused AP of juicing. The dude’s a beast.