Chiefs believe Knile Davis can speed up his play

knile davis chiefs getty Getty Images

Speed would not appear to be an issue for Chiefs rookie running back Knile Davis. After all, we’re talking about someone timed at 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard-dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

However, Chiefs running backs coach Eric Bieniemy reportedly believes Davis can become even faster on the field.

As Davis told KCChiefs.com, it comes down to arm movement. Bieniemy, Davis said, has encouraged the rookie tailback to focus on “keeping my arms pumping.”

Said Davis:  “. . . I had a tendency, when I first got here, to drop my arms and I would slow down, but he’s shown me little techniques to help me get out of my cut, run faster, how to stretch the field and showing me the different concepts of why I’m doing it; not only did he tell me the detail and correct it, but he let me know why I’m doing it and I put it all together.

“The NFL is big on knowing what you need to do and knowing why.”

One more obvious area in which is Davis can improve is his ball security. He fumbled 13 times in less than 400 career touches at Arkansas, per Pro Football Weekly’s 2013 Draft Preview. The hunch here is that if Davis wants to show he’s increased his speed, he’ll first need to show he will hold onto the ball.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Chiefs believe Knile Davis can speed up his play”
  1. lenbias34pt says: Jun 28, 2013 2:11 PM

Knile was playing not to get hurt last season.
    If you watched him in 2011 you may know as i do that this kid could be the next great RB in the NFL.

Hershal Walker with more shake. He is that talented.

2. bobby2478 says: Jun 28, 2013 2:11 PM

If he ran a 4.37, wonder what Charles ran considering Charles is also super fast

3. shayeezy says: Jun 28, 2013 2:23 PM

charles ran a 4.38 at the combine, but what really sets him apart is his fluidity as a runner and ability to change direction and make cuts without slowing down much at all. lots of guys have similar straight line speed, but very few can put it together on the football field quite like he does.

4. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 28, 2013 2:26 PM

One of the great jazz artists of all time.

5. hedleykow says: Jun 28, 2013 2:29 PM

I’m not sure how the Chiefs can lose to the Jags in week 1, no matter how many times Davis fumbles. I can’t freaking wait.

6. santoryu64 says: Jun 28, 2013 2:31 PM

He will be one of the cornerstones of the impending Chiefs dynasty. He will become a start kick off returner that will leave hapless Broncos ST players on their faces.

7. scottbaughman says: Jun 28, 2013 2:35 PM

Jamaal ran a 4.36 at the combine.

8. deltaoracle says: Jun 28, 2013 3:33 PM

I think they’re sending him to that “Seinfeld” rehab clinic that the woman who didn’t swing her arms used.

9. thrasur says: Jun 28, 2013 4:13 PM

Davis is a beast. last year at Arkansas with the buffoons coaching…they decided to make Davis a no contact player prior to the season in practices coming off his devastating injury the year before. the results of that idiotic coaching decision was apparent. he was tentative in hitting the holes and stutter stepping in the backfield…a recipe for disaster in the SEC. he started fumbling and becoming more tentative as the season progressed and the team as a whole lost confidence. if the coaching staff would have manned up and let him take some hits before the season began we would have seen the back that was there prior to the injury….the chiefs got a steal

10. andymc58 says: Jun 28, 2013 5:13 PM

I live in Fayetteville and love Knile Davis as much as anyone but the fact is the guy has only finished 1 season in his career without getting injured, high school included. That being said, that season was a whole lot of fun to watch. Wish him well.

11. jimmyjames65 says: Jun 28, 2013 7:52 PM

Stick it to the Broncos. Chiefs offense is going to be improved. They have some talent at key positions. Coaching is a big plus.