Jared Allen slinging some bull (gear) to help vets

AP

Jared Allen’s no stranger to adventure.

But there are times even he knows when to say when.

The Vikings defensive end owns three bulls in the Professional Bull Riders series, but has thus far resisted the temptation to ride them.

“They just tempt me every time I’m at a ride,” Allen told the Associated Press. “I’m like, ‘I got this.’ And I know I don’t.”

Riding bulls is not within the bounds of his contract, so he’s probably best off using them to help promote his Homes for Wounded Warriors foundation, which helps build and remodel homes for veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq.

The PBR is going to help promote the sale of merchandise bearing the names of his bulls — Hot Iron, HY Test and Thumbs Up — at its events.

Allen grew up on a ranch in California, and he said his father and grandfather would put him on the back of a cow when he was young.

“My dad and grandpa thought it was really funny to put us on,” he said. “The cows always won.”

Actually, if Allen can use the publicity he generates for the cause for a worthy cause, the winners will be soldiers who need some help.

31 responses to “Jared Allen slinging some bull (gear) to help vets

1. Bull riders aren’t usually real big guys. The shrimps have an easier time riding the beef than a big guy like J.A. Now steer wrestling is another matter.

2. So why can’t guys like Jared Allen, get the mountains of publicity for their causes, that selfish degenerates like Hernandez get, for inflicting pain on society?

3. It would make sense that Allen owns cattle, the Viking fans are always buying into the by-product that his cattle produce about their Superbowl chances. And having been to a few home Viking games, I think some of the fans are enamored with the cattle so much that they are married to a few of them.

4. So THAT’S where the Viking fans get their hilarious facts from. No wonder they all ask for shovels at Christmas.

5. bloomer006999999 says:

Nothing but CLASS here in Minnesota.

——————————————————————

“The Love Boat”.

6. @whatjusthappened

Right, right…..because when we hear “Green Bay, Wisconsin” we all think “the epicenter of fine women.”

I guess when 99% of the state has a nasty beer & sausage gut, you have to grade “fatness” and “obesity” on a curve in order to avoid the statistical equivalent of a 5-alarm fire.

7. Leave to the Packer fans above to bash Jared Allen on a story about how he raises money to give to wounded veterans.

Packer fans, no humanity, should be ashamed that people like you exsist

8. Weird. Haven’t heard any off-the-field inspiring packer stories lately.
    Yet, the gb trolls work tiresomely at trying to come up w/something to bash on a Viking post.
    Let’s just agree, Jared Allen contributes to better the society more than any current packer.(note: you lost the closest charity saint, #85).

9. I am a Packer fan, and I think Allen is an obnoxious, brain dead, moron on the field. However, he is a great example of someone that got caught early in his career with DUI’s, and turned himself around, and became a much better person, which I think is more important than any stat he can put up on the field.

Kills me to say this, Good Job Jared! I can’t stand you, but I have tons of respect for what you do for people, who otherwise, would not be able to.

10. Can’t wait to see him rope that steer they have in GB. Who has sacked the most sacked the most? Check out his video spearing an elk. Jarrad is the MAN!

11. Hey, it’s ok to be a fan of another team (Packers) and still respect what your rival does, on or off the field. You don’t have to be a jerk all the time. I’m talking to those idiots above taking cheap shots. JA does more for the good of society than any of you. And I guarantee you if a wounded soldier was a Packer fan Allen wouldn’t care.

12. whatjusthapped says:
    Jun 28, 2013 8:07 PM

…and those few come from your ranch er family er…nevermind.

13. anarchopurplism says:
    Jun 28, 2013 10:02 PM

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

No, pay attention. The point being made is we’re the same as you, no better, no worse. Wisconsin and Minnesota are virtually identical in all manners of speaking. Get used to it. You’re not Seattle, you’re not Denver, you’re not Miami or Austin. You’re the same as any other midwestern state. Any insult thrown at us applies to you too. The whole world knows this. Look around.

14. stellarperformance says:
    Jun 29, 2013 12:27 PM
    anarchopurplism says:
    Jun 28, 2013 10:02 PM

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

—————————————

Dude, have you been to Minneapolis? It is NOTHING like Green Bay. Milwaukee is somewhat similar, but even still…..

Simply put, you are wrong. End of the line.

Minneapolis is very liberal. Green Bay conservative. It shows just when you walk down the street. I am a Vikings fan. But I hate Minneapolis. Full of “unsavory” characters if you catch my drift. But we got rid of Kluwe…. so its on the up and up. Now if we could get the streets clean of all the other sparkle-ponies who wear green and yellow sequined booty-shorts to the Metrodome once a year. Not sure where they come from?

15. We appear similar to the outsiders…. but everyone in MN knows how weird things get north of highway 8 across that border.

Family trees continue without forking for generations. Farm animals ride to prom in a limo. Camoflage wedding/hunting parties.

Say hi to your sister/wife for us.

Packer Cheerleaders have kids, beer bellies, and G.E.D.’s and they all have Brett Favre Weenie picks in their phones, that they cherish.

16. minnesoulja says:
    Jul 2, 2013 2:54 PM
    We appear similar to the outsiders….

//////////////////////////////////////

Understatement of the year. And don’t hide behind Minneapolis. You’re the one that made the “99% in the state” comment. I’ve been to the Minnesota State Fair. The Iron Range would put rural Kentucky to shame, so save your repetitious insults. The Packers have never needed plastic-chested cheerleaders to lure single losers (sound familiar?) to the stadium (or fake crowd noise for that matter.) The ex-Packer Brett Favre is as close as you’ll ever to get to knowing how to win…..have you noticed the glut of newborns in Minneapolis named Brett? Your allegiances change faster than a box of Kardashian condoms. You have nothin’ on us. Anyone who has ever heard of Minnesota knows it. By the way, I was born in Duluth and have been to Minneapolis at least 1000 times in my life. So what? I see the same when comparing Minnesota to Wisconsin…..except people from Wisconsin don’t suffer from delusional superiority complexes.

17. Simply put, you are an idiot. You misquoted me. (nothing in any of my posts say anything about 99%. Those are posts I was quoting.) So strike one.

You are obviously a pop culture moron. Strike two.

Kardashian jokes? Really? Slap yourself. This is PFT. If we make Kardashian jokes, at least make them funny.

I don’t have any type of superiority complex. I never said MN was better than WI.

I said we are not as similar as most people might think. Thats like saying NY and NJ are the same, or FL and GA.

Little things change place to place. Minneapolis is nothing like anywhere else in MN. Minneapolis is a toilet. Like Chicago or Detroit.

Furthermore, you are still an idiot. MN out.

Peace and grease to the sweaty cheese beast.

18. And I am pretty sure Fran Tarkenton took us to four more Superbowls than Brett Favre ever did.

I am 29 but I know our divisions history.

Hang it up. I have no superiority complex in MN/WI by any means…. but I do with you and me.

If this continues, I think I may end up in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Good Luck this upcoming season with your Packers. They are a good squad, and I tip my hat to the whole organization. They are a model frachise and have a lot of good things going for them. If only their fanbase matched the quality product they put on the field.

Skol Vikes.

19. Nice try sistersoulja. If you try to get into a battle of words with me, you will lose. For now, I’ve made my point and you are making me yawn.

20. Minnesoulja, you’re coming across a little anti-gay.

What happened to “I’ve never loved a 13 year old male cousin like I love you, omgvikingsrule”? Do you say that to all your 13 year old male cousins? Are they just in your arsenal?!?!

Why can’t I quit you!?!?!