Jason Babin is just about recovered from groin surgery

Jason Babin, Paul Posluszny, C.J. Mosley AP

Jaguars defensive end Jason Babin had groin surgery early this month, the first of his 10-year NFL career, and he said Thursday night that he’s almost fully recovered.

Babin put himself at nine days away from being 100 percent, which means he should be fully ready to go when the Jaguars report for training camp this summer. When that does get underway, Babin will resume his work at the team’s “Leo” defensive end spot, which calls for Babin to put pressure on the quarterback early and often. It’s a role that really appeals to Babin.

“It’s a position that I can only dream about because you’re going to line up on a tackle or you’re going to line up on the open side, and you’re going to rush the quarterback every down, for the most part,” Babin said, via the team’s website. “I don’t think I could ask for anything more than that.”

Jags coach Gus Bradley rode Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin to 19.5 sacks at the same position in Seattle last season, but it is a stretch to expect Babin to put up those kinds of numbers. For one thing, the Seahawks defense was better across the board than what the Jags have at their disposal this season. Babin also has had his greatest success as a pass rusher in Wide-9 schemes and, at 33, it may be a bit late to expect he’ll reach the heights of 2010 and 2011 (30.5 sacks for the Titans and Eagles) again this year.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jason Babin is just about recovered from groin surgery”
  1. dawkinsalwaysaneagle says: Jun 28, 2013 11:35 AM

Good luck with that Jags fans. God forbid he has to tackle a running back.

2. thc850 says: Jun 28, 2013 11:42 AM

he actually got better with that last year with the Jags. I saw a few plays when they moved him to Left DE and he actually made the tackle in the back field (on the RB!!) instead of passing him and hitting the QB like he used to do. lol

3. pathsovglory says: Jun 28, 2013 11:47 AM

Chris Clemons wasn’t a young man either when he came to the Seahawks (28 or 29 I think?) and instantly became a 10+ sack player.

Not sayin Babin is a lock for that kind of production, just don’t discount what Gus is doing…

4. zwilhelm16 says: Jun 28, 2013 12:10 PM

This guy sucks!

5. steves11 says: Jun 28, 2013 12:22 PM

I think the Eagles may have hired the wrong guy. Bradley may have been a better choice than Kelly. Time will tell.

6. girlsknowsportstoo says: Jun 28, 2013 1:08 PM

Babin is a one trick pony loser.

7. dg0122 says: Jun 28, 2013 1:38 PM

you are assuming teams will pass against the jags and that gabbert-led offnese with a big lead, which aint happenin

8. laxman1944 says: Jun 28, 2013 1:41 PM

Babin = me..me..me..me..I…I….I…..I

9. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 28, 2013 1:44 PM

Jason is anxious to test his groin after a long period of inactivity.

10. seankp822 says: Jun 28, 2013 2:19 PM

As an Eagles fan I liked Babin as a pash rusher but, he wasn’t the best against the run.

He’s a funny personality and appeals to the fans but as time went on you could tell he was a me kinda guy.

11. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jun 28, 2013 4:26 PM

gus better hope whoever is behind babin on that side can tackle. babin acts like he isn’t there to deal with running backs; he’s only there to sack the quarterback (or not sack them, as was the case last season).