Former teammates heap praise on Barkevious Mingo

Mingo AP

Though the Browns and Steelers picked their respective first-rounders more than 10 spots apart, Barkevious Mingo and Jarvis Jones will be joined at the hip, at least for the early stages of their careers.

Jones recently said he thought the Browns would take him with the sixth overall pick.  Undoubtedly, Browns fans will be keeping an eye on whether Jones outperforms Mingo, the man the Browns selected instead.

But Mingo could still be the far better player, based on the input of a couple of his former teammates at LSU.

He’s a freak, man,” former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, now with the Cardinals, tells Jeff Schudel of the Morning Journal.  “I’ve never played with anybody as freakish as him.  He’s all natural.  He’s not the biggest guy.  He’s not the strongest guy, but he’s the most athletic out of the bunch.  He’s definitely going to make some great plays in a Browns uniform.  Hopefully I get the chance to play with him or against him. . . .

“At practice I’ve seen him shake a double-team off the line of scrimmage and get to the quarterback,” Mathieu said. “We can’t touch the quarterback in practice but he jumped so high in the air he tips the ball and catches it himself.  That was one of those moments — I was on the sideline just watching — that’s a Hall of Famer-type of person.

Former LSU safety Eric Reid, a first-round pick of the 49ers, agrees.

“If they asked him to play safety and they gave him time to learn, I think he could do it,” Reid said.  “He’s just blessed.  God gave him a gift.  I’m glad he was on my team.  He set the tone for our defense along with the other guys on the line.  Y’all are blessed to have a player like Mingo.”

Browns fans are used to the team being something other than blessed.  And so they’ll likely take a wait-and-see approach on the question of whether Mingo will be a great player, and perhaps more importantly whether he’ll be better than Jarvis Jones.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Former teammates heap praise on Barkevious Mingo”
  1. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 29, 2013 8:37 PM

A pothead and a benchwarmer think he’s great?! Wow, now I’m impressed.

2. coop16 says: Jun 29, 2013 8:55 PM

The life of a Browns fan … you hear nothing but happy talk in April, May, June, July and August, then nothing but gloom and doom in September, October, November and December. Then it’s time to start thinking about the next draft and the guy who’s going to turn things around for us. Been there, seen that, for about 15 straight years now, and the team is still going 5-11 every year.

3. hbdbrowns33 says: Jun 29, 2013 8:56 PM

KeKe will hopefully get around 8 sacks this year. I don’t think that is out of the question for a part-time player seeing that Aldon Smith had 12 his rookie year. I also think Mingo will get plenty of reps too because Horton will find a way to have Sheard, Kruger, and Mingo on the field at the same time in certain situations.

4. craniator says: Jun 29, 2013 9:14 PM

Right after Mathieu praised Mingo’s impressive abilities as a player, he tested positive for marijuana for the ninth time . . .

5. modellforprez says: Jun 29, 2013 10:12 PM

Yeah these dudes will have nice 3 a day meals when Mingo Has Flacco Ben and Dalton for B.L.D and Jones gets to feast on Flacco Weeden and Redrubble. Nice Plates but these Kids got a ways to go before they get a Sitdown

6. Canyonero says: Jun 29, 2013 11:45 PM

He’s got a great name, I’ll give him that!

Hope he’s as good as his name. Browns Nation deserves it.

7. mdd913 says: Jun 30, 2013 2:45 AM

It’s true though. Kiki has the most explosive first two steps I’ve seen in an LSU lineman ever. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll have NFL success, BUT he’s got the quickness to tear it up if he applies himself.

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 30, 2013 8:05 PM

Mingo will need a little time to adjust to the NFL but his upside potential looks unlimited. In the right scheme, he could create a lot of problems for an offense.

9. boyshole25 says: Jun 30, 2013 11:44 PM

Browns d will be top 5 mark em

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 1, 2013 8:01 AM

I’m sure the Steelers wish they had Mingo instead of Jones, just like they wish they had Elam over Thomas. But Jarvis Jones got all the pre-draft hype, and if there’s one thing that makes the fan base (aka defacto FO) drool, it’s hype.

11. jtbsteeler says: Jul 1, 2013 9:29 AM

It’s July 1st. One day closer to the Ravens 1-2 start to the season. Then the inevitable swan dive to 3-6 this season. Your season will be over before week 8. I’m going to ride you guys hard for yapping all summer.

12. Joemontanaflacco says: Jul 1, 2013 11:46 AM

jtbsteeler says: “I’m going to ride you guys hard for yapping all summer.”

You’re right. Fans from losing teams have no right to post. Especially if you can only manage a pathetic 8-8 season. Good advice.

13. royaldawgz says: Jul 1, 2013 7:26 PM

I cannot wait for the day (and it’s coming sooner than later) when we rag doll both the Steelers and the Ravens… We have listened to their sh#t for years and all that going around is finally coming around. GO BROWNS!

14. alexkauf says: Jul 4, 2013 12:22 AM

I went to a track meet with my team and KeKe’s team(West Monroe,La) was there also. So, I am 6’1″ and 170 lbs and am the anchor for our 400m relay. We get close to the place where runners warmup & that is where I see him. I was 19 at the time and I believe he was maybe 17 yrs old. I am in decent shape, I think, but KeKe’s body is Amazing. So we start the race and his team is almost world class. I am running thrid and just got the baton when KeKe)who is their anchor) pulls up along me barely breathing. He looks over at me and smiles the most infectious smile I have ever seen and then says “see you later lil dude”. Of course his track team won the state title as well the football team did too that year. I will pull for you Browns now, except when the N.O. Saints are the opposition. But, y’all got lucky with Mr. Barkevious Mingo and happy days to you and all.

Al